ATP supplementation

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effects of oral adenosine-5[prime]-triphosphate supplementation on athletic performance, skeletal muscle hypertrophy and recovery in resistance-trained men

Background
Currently, there is a lack of studies examining the effects of adenosine-5[prime]-triphosphate (ATP) supplementation utilizing a long-term, periodized resistance-training program (RT) in resistance-trained populations. Therefore, we investigated the effects of 12 weeks of 400 mg per day of oral ATP on muscular adaptations in trained individuals. We also sought to determine the effects of ATP on muscle protein breakdown, cortisol, and performance during an overreaching cycle.

Methods
The study was a 3-phase randomized, double-blind, and placebo- and diet-controlled intervention. Phase 1 was a periodized resistance-training program. Phase 2 consisted of a two week overreaching cycle in which volume and frequency were increased followed by a 2-week taper (Phase 3). Muscle mass, strength, and power were examined at weeks 0, 4, 8, and 12 to assess the chronic effects of ATP; assessment performance variables also occurred at the end of weeks 9 and 10, corresponding to the mid and endpoints of the overreaching cycle.

Results
There were time (p < 0.001), and group x time effects for increased total body strength (+55.3 +/- 6.0 kg ATP vs. + 22.4 +/- 7.1 kg placebo, p < 0.001); increased vertical jump power (+ 796 +/- 75 ATP vs. 614 +/- 52 watts placebo, p < 0.001); and greater ultrasound determined muscle thickness (+4.9 +/- 1.0 ATP vs. (2.5 +/- 0.6 mm placebo, p < 0.02) with ATP supplementation. During the overreaching cycle, there were group x time effects for strength and power, which decreased to a greater extent in the placebo group. Protein breakdown was also lower in the ATP group.

Conclusions
Our results suggest oral ATP supplementation may enhance muscular adaptations following 12-weeks of resistance training, and prevent decrements in performance following overreaching. No statistically or clinically significant changes in blood chemistry or hematology were observed.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Recent eh. Looks like Peak ATP is at it again. The trial seems well-conducted but the results are...dubious. Double the strength gains in elite weight training individuals. This is comparable to illegal drugs!

LB_Patriot

Awards
I just started Creatine HCL. The increase in energy is very noticeable. I was stubborn in using this supp because I had a bad experience 12 years ago using very primitive mono hydrate. Me Likey....

mmats

Awards
This is surprising. I cant find the last study on oral ATP, but didnt it show no benefits pretty conclusively?

aarfai

Awards
i use methylene blue and pqq daily. they are dramatic effects on the mitochondria

Jon_b

Jon_b

Awards
Interesting. Isn't there a reason why most of the science has gone with creatine as a way to increase ATP stores? What would be the benefit/drawbacks to oral ATP compared to creatine supplementation? Seems like I have read something along the lines of it not being able to be stored well in the body... dunno.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Prototype Nutrition (TAA)Triacetyladenosine

That is all!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Interesting. Isn't there a reason why most of the science has gone with creatine as a way to increase ATP stores? What would be the benefit/drawbacks to oral ATP compared to creatine supplementation? Seems like I have read something along the lines of it not being able to be stored well in the body... dunno.
Very little ATP exists in free form in the cell, as the ADP/ATP ratio is a sensitive marker of cell status. That's not stopping peak atp though

Jon_b

Jon_b

Awards
Hmm only way to make it work would be some form of time release or just have a short lived effect I guess.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
u_e_s_i Supplements 4
Supplements 72
Supplements 10
Evomuse 0
thebigt Supplements 0