Intraworkout BCAAs + Carbs as Energy Source

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

Question Intraworkout BCAAs + Carbs as Energy Source

Dear all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before in this forum. I have done a decent amount of searching and didn't come across anything too relevant regarding this subject. I just stumbled upon AM and there's a lot of good info here so I thought I'd give it a go.

My question is: if one is to consume a intraworkout drink composed of BCAAs + EAAs + Carbs (Dextrose, Malto, Peptopro, etc), which one is the first one to be converted into energy and why?

For a long time I'd only have a simple electrolyte + carb drink during workouts, but lately I've decided to add BCAAs into the mix and this question has been on my mind for quite a while.
    Here's my thought process - please for the sake of the argument consider that one is working out in a fasted state:
    1. If water is taken during exercise = blood sugar levels are depleted gradually, no increase in insulin levels, blood lipids and glucose are used as energy.
    2. If carbs are taken during exercise = blood sugar levels are slightly elevated, insulin levels increase, carbs are digested and used as energy
    3. If BCAAs are taken during exercise = due to leucine, the insulin response is much like #2 and the aminos are used as energy. Blood sugar levels actually decrease (somedy please chime in here).
    4. If BCAAs + Carbs are taken during exercise = ?

If the BCAAs converted into energy/used to prevent catabolism first and then carbs play exactly what role?

From what I understand, BCAAs (Leucine especially) activates the mTOR pathway while Carbs use a different one. Can both stay "open" simultaneously?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by t.bran View Post

My question is: if one is to consume a intraworkout drink composed of BCAAs + EAAs + Carbs (Dextrose, Malto, Peptopro, etc), which one is the first one to be converted into energy and why?
    Most likely the carbs
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.23%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by t.bran View Post
    Dear all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before in this forum. I have done a decent amount of searching and didn't come across anything too relevant regarding this subject. I just stumbled upon AM and there's a lot of good info here so I thought I'd give it a go.

For a long time I'd only have a simple electrolyte + carb drink during workouts, but lately I've decided to add BCAAs into the mix and this question has been on my mind for quite a while.
    Here's my thought process - please for the sake of the argument consider that one is working out in a fasted state:
    1. If water is taken during exercise = blood sugar levels are depleted gradually, no increase in insulin levels, blood lipids and glucose are used as energy.
    2. If carbs are taken during exercise = blood sugar levels are slightly elevated, insulin levels increase, carbs are digested and used as energy
    3. If BCAAs are taken during exercise = due to leucine, the insulin response is much like #2 and the aminos are used as energy. Blood sugar levels actually decrease (somedy please chime in here).
    4. If BCAAs + Carbs are taken during exercise = ?

If the BCAAs converted into energy/used to prevent catabolism first and then carbs play exactly what role?

From what I understand, BCAAs (Leucine especially) activates the mTOR pathway while Carbs use a different one. Can both stay "open" simultaneously?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    Carbs are converted to energy first.

To your points:

1. There is no depletion of blood glucose. Your liver releases glucose as needed for use by skeletal muscle. The liver's storage capacity (and capacity for gluconeogenesis) is enormous.

2. Insulin does not increase during exercise. Epinephrine directly blocks this.

3. See 2

4. See 2

There are no "pathways." Leucine activates mTOR, and carbs have no role during exercise really (for weight training). So stick to ffAAs or water
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

Coop,

Thanks for clearing it up. I'm still very new to peri workout nutrition so these points are still a bit cloudy to me.

But since we're at it, since you believe carbs have no role during workout, what happens after consumption? Wouldn't the fact that insulin release is blunted by epinephrine make carb intake more interesting?

Much appreciated.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Omega-3 Mayo as fat source
    By OrganicShadow in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 02:30 AM
  2. Kashi as a primary carb source ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 11:56 PM
  3. Beans As a Carb Source
    By supersoldier in forum Weight Loss