Thought on Higher Importance of Sleep/Recovery Supplements

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Sleep is for the weak
    I can't stay asleep for more than 3-4 hours at a time. Majority of the time I get Around 6 hours of sleep. Sometimes a lot less, sometimes more.

I agree with your statement thou. Yea I may be tired and fall asleep in my classes and not have energy at work, but that doesn't stop me from moving heavy weight for me

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Did you find that app to be accurate? I'm considering grabbing it
    My sister uses one for the iPhone and says its not great. I use one on the Android called 'sleep for android' and it's very good. It could be the combination of ultra sensitive motion sensors in the S4 and a better app. The graphs and stats on it a pretty good - would be right up your street!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.

I'd be interested to know if there are any supplements that can mitigate some of the side effects of working third shift, besides the obvious melatonin. I don't really have trouble falling asleep but no matter how much sleep I get, I'm always tired. My biggest problem is waking up. I literally have four alarms at my bedside and one is a sonic boom and there are days I don't hear any of them.

And then on the weekend's of course, to have a normal social life I have to pretty much flip flop my schedule, which is equivalent to jet lag all weekend. So if there were any supplements that would help mitigate any of that, that would be awesome.
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by broons View Post
    I'd be interested to know if there are any supplements that can mitigate some of the side effects of working third shift, besides the obvious melatonin. I don't really have trouble falling asleep but no matter how much sleep I get, I'm always tired. My biggest problem is waking up. I literally have four alarms at my bedside and one is a sonic boom and there are days I don't hear any of them.

And then on the weekend's of course, to have a normal social life I have to pretty much flip flop my schedule, which is equivalent to jet lag all weekend. So if there were any supplements that would help mitigate any of that, that would be awesome.
    If your always tired you could be b12 deficient. Could get tested for it
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker145 View Post
    If your always tired you could be b12 deficient. Could get tested for it
    That's one of a million potential culprits for the given symptoms
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by broons View Post

It sounds like the quality of your sleep is the problem, and the only supplements I know of to increase sleep quality work through GABA. Using supplements such as valerian root with lemon balm or my personal favorite l-theanine could potentially work well for you, but I'd suggest trying for yourself. Using these could make it harder to wake up in the morning, but have you feeling more rested at the same time, so experimentation is necessary to find your own sweet spot.

Adrafinil/modafinil would be good for the weekend. They basically allow you to stay awake for an extra couple hours without feeling tired and aren't a classical stimulant like caffeine. Only downsides are tolerance, heavy use of adrafinil can increase liver enzymes, and modafinil is expensive from India or you have to get a prescription for having shift work disorder.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post

That's one of a million potential culprits for the given symptoms
    One down. 999,999 to go
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker145 View Post

One down. 999,999 to go
    Fair enough. However a succinct thorough blood panel work up could help eliminate more possibilities. Also he could look at what he's eating for potential food intolerances.
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post

Fair enough. However a succinct thorough blood panel work up could help eliminate more possibilities. Also he could look at what he's eating for potential food intolerances.
    I agree.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Any advice on higher dosage of Trifecta stack??
    By Frtdrmrose7 in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM
  3. thoughts on this piece of equipment
    By cpa5oh in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 05:28 PM
  4. Importance of Sleep
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2