All aboard the Betaine train.

Page 2 of 9 First 12347 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,265
    Rep Power
    10742620
    Level
    106
    Lv. Percent
    80.29%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Jason, I am interested to know if you have a hypothesis to any reasoning behind the differences between microcycle 2 and microcycles 1 and 3 in terms of results?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  2. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    EBF_2356's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,045
    Rep Power
    1873512
    Level
    69
    Lv. Percent
    60.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Congrats matey
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  3. New Member
    thor69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    84
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    42%

    great post
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Jason, I am interested to know if you have a hypothesis to any reasoning behind the differences between microcycle 2 and microcycles 1 and 3 in terms of results?
    I discussed a few things in the text. One thought was that perhaps betaine works best for moderate-higher rep training (hypertrophy 8-12) that creates a larger metabolic demand vs. lower rep training (4-6 as micro cycle 2 was) that creates a smaller metabolic demand. that was for the upper body.
  5. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ZR,

    I take TMG (750 mg) three times a day; each time with a Jarrow B-Right.

    Do you have any thoughts or observations as to synergy between TMG and B-Complex?
  6. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Improved Hcy metabolism. Which, based on our study results, likely isn't going to enhance gains (it won't hurt them by any means, though).
  7. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Improved Hcy metabolism. Which, based on our study results, likely isn't going to enhance gains (it won't hurt them by any means, though).
    Great, that is the reason I am taking the two together. The joy of having a family history of heart disease.....
  8. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    Only tried TMG in the form of Condense, so not really sure how it will taste in bulk. I did some research and most say it has a mild sweet taste.

    Ordered bulk TMG from a big UK supplier and just tried some in water.. it's so sour it's undrinkable.. I mean, it's so sour, I had to spit it out.
    Tried to mask the taste with whey, but the taste is just awful.

    I've looked into HCL and apparently it has that sour taste.. did I get the wrong kind of Betaine?

    The bag says TRIMETHYLGLYCINE POWDER (TMG) and the content looks a bit like sugar.

    Any suggestions to get it to go down quicker?
  9. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    Only tried TMG in the form of Condense, so not really sure how it will taste in bulk. I did some research and most say it has a mild sweet taste.

    Ordered bulk TMG from a big UK supplier and just tried some in water.. it's so sour it's undrinkable.. I mean, it's so sour, I had to spit it out.
    Tried to mask the taste with whey, but the taste is just awful.

    I've looked into HCL and apparently it has that sour taste.. did I get the wrong kind of Betaine?

    The bag says TRIMETHYLGLYCINE POWDER (TMG) and the content looks a bit like sugar.

    Any suggestions to get it to go down quicker?
    I am not doubting your experience, but the bulk TMG I have is very bland, with maybe slightly sweet overtones.

    It is NOTHING like what you are describing.
  10. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    Thx Beau.

    This is def not mild. Lol.
    Nothing can mask this taste and it def not sweet.
    Very sour and acidic.

    Will try and contact them and hear what they have to say.
  11. Advanced Member
    Synapsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    704060
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    27.94%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    Only tried TMG in the form of Condense, so not really sure how it will taste in bulk. I did some research and most say it has a mild sweet taste.

    Ordered bulk TMG from a big UK supplier and just tried some in water.. it's so sour it's undrinkable.. I mean, it's so sour, I had to spit it out.
    Tried to mask the taste with whey, but the taste is just awful.

    I've looked into HCL and apparently it has that sour taste.. did I get the wrong kind of Betaine?

    The bag says TRIMETHYLGLYCINE POWDER (TMG) and the content looks a bit like sugar.

    Any suggestions to get it to go down quicker?
    Make sure you get Betaine Anhydrous and not Betaine HCl.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  12. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    Make sure you get Betaine Anhydrous and not Betaine HCl.
    Good catch - I din't even think about that as a possibility.

    I can't only imagine Betaine HCL might taste like holy heck.
  13. Advanced Member
    Synapsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    704060
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    27.94%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Good catch - I din't even think about that as a possibility.

    I can't only imagine Betaine HCL might taste like holy heck.
    I meant if you're looking to supplement Betaine, use the anhydrous form. I've never had bulk Betaine so I have no idea what it tastes like.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  14. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    It's definitely the right kind I ordered. Betaine Anhydrous (TMG).

    But I'm starting to think I got HCL marked as TMG..
  15. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    513538
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    87.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    My bulk TMG from HSW has a very mild, sweet flavor.
  16. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,405
    Rep Power
    4156327
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    89.61%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    It's definitely the right kind I ordered. Betaine Anhydrous (TMG).

    But I'm starting to think I got HCL marked as TMG..
    If it tastes acidic, then you got HCL. Which you don't want.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  17. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    I'm actually quite shocked that the powder is marked TMG, if it's indeed HCL.

    They are one of the biggest distributors of bulk supplements in Europe and that's a mistake they shouldn't make.

    But I can tell you that I still had that acidic feeling/taste in my mouth/throat till I went out to dinner.. just awful..
    Perhaps the worst tasting supplement I've ever had. Lol.
  18. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    I'm actually quite shocked that the powder is marked TMG, if it's indeed HCL.

    They are one of the biggest distributors of bulk supplements in Europe and that's a mistake they shouldn't make.

    But I can tell you that I still had that acidic feeling/taste in my mouth/throat till I went out to dinner.. just awful..
    Perhaps the worst tasting supplement I've ever had. Lol.
    It's HCl. Betaine anhydrous tastes like a weak sugar
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  19. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    Thx guys.

    Will update when I get a response from the supplier.
  20. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    I'm actually quite shocked that the powder is marked TMG, if it's indeed HCL.

    They are one of the biggest distributors of bulk supplements in Europe and that's a mistake they shouldn't make.

    But I can tell you that I still had that acidic feeling/taste in my mouth/throat till I went out to dinner.. just awful..
    Perhaps the worst tasting supplement I've ever had. Lol.
    I can't compare, but several years ago I took some ALA in powder form - and it wasn't too pleasant.
  21. Advanced Member
    Synapsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    704060
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    27.94%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    You should look into a capsule machine. Might seem expensive at first but definitely saves you money over the long term if you tend to buy bulk powders.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  22. Senior Member
    De__eB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    1740336
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    4.14%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    You should look into a capsule machine. Might seem expensive at first but definitely saves you money over the long term if you tend to buy bulk powders.
    This.

    A capsule machine and milligram scale are must-buys for anybody who plans on buying many bulk powders.

    Compared to what you'll spend on supplements in a year/decades and what you'll save over that span buying bulk powders it's a no brainer.
    SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  23. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,945
    Rep Power
    2569484
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    10.25%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I use cap m quick. Its kind of a pain but gets the job done
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  24. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    513538
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    87.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Another benefit of TMG...better sleep. I was having lackluster sleep for the last few weeks until my TMG arrived. Not such a fan of taking it in the daytime as it seems to make me tired/grouchy, but if I take it before bed on an empty stomach I sleep way deeper with much less waking up. I can get 7 hours and feel refreshed. I might try to stack it with L-Dopa and melatonin to see if the effect can be enhanced for both sleep and HGH release.
  25. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,996
    Rep Power
    1177010
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    44.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Interesting i did not know this.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  26. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    513538
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    87.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Well, I don't think it's been researched per se, but anecdotally it seems to be helping me a lot in the sleep department. I went from having a really hard time going to sleep, waking up numerous times during the night and waking up before my alarm to crashing out about 45 minutes after dosing TMG and sleeping like a rock.
  27. Senior Member
    aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,372
    Rep Power
    1450174
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Well, I don't think it's been researched per se, but anecdotally it seems to be helping me a lot in the sleep department. I went from having a really hard time going to sleep, waking up numerous times during the night and waking up before my alarm to crashing out about 45 minutes after dosing TMG and sleeping like a rock.
    Do methyl group donor's have any effect on sleep quality?

  28. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,996
    Rep Power
    1177010
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    44.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Well, I don't think it's been researched per se, but anecdotally it seems to be helping me a lot in the sleep department. I went from having a really hard time going to sleep, waking up numerous times during the night and waking up before my alarm to crashing out about 45 minutes after dosing TMG and sleeping like a rock.
    Well as long as its working!
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  29. New Member
    bananaClip's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  164 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    158403
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    44.17%

    what happens after 6 weeks of 2.5g/TMG supplementation?
    does it keep on improving or does it halt?

    might just make this a staple like creatine and take it the same way
  30. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bananaClip View Post
    what happens after 6 weeks of 2.5g/TMG supplementation?
    does it keep on improving or does it halt?

    might just make this a staple like creatine and take it the same way

    We didn't measure past 6 weeks. Here is my thought.
    Initial weight and volume gain is in the first 2 weeks due to cellular swelling.
    Over time, that cellular swelling yields improved mechanical output, crossbridge cycling, and protein synthesis, which should yield more myofibril proteins (muscle gain irrespective of water increases).
    There are no receptors to be down regulated, and you get some in your diet, so I would think you could keep using it.
  31. New Member
    bdybldnaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    79194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    56.76%

    Does time of dosing matter?
  32. New Member
    bananaClip's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  164 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    158403
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    44.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    Does time of dosing matter?
    i think not, since you get some in your diet
  33. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdybldnaam View Post
    Does time of dosing matter?
    It appears to acutely affect hormones in a manner that would be most beneficial preworkout
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  34. New Member
    Wocheezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    42091
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    91.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Another benefit of TMG...better sleep. I was having lackluster sleep for the last few weeks until my TMG arrived. Not such a fan of taking it in the daytime as it seems to make me tired/grouchy, but if I take it before bed on an empty stomach I sleep way deeper with much less waking up. I can get 7 hours and feel refreshed. I might try to stack it with L-Dopa and melatonin to see if the effect can be enhanced for both sleep and HGH release.
    TestPowder has both TMG and L-Dopa.. I enjoy taking it before bed as long as I know I can fall asleep quickly. If The L-Dopa hits me before I pass out I have a really hard time getting to sleep. I have been sleeping great lately but test powder has agmatine, tmg, daa, and l-dopa.. so it's hard to say which is impacting sleep the most. (I'd put my money on the dopa from previous experience)
  35. New Member
    Ginandtonic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    35167
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    3.96%

    Where's all the bulk tmg?!? Hard to find a legit source...
  36. New Member
    manstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    137188
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    75.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginandtonic View Post
    Where's all the bulk tmg?!? Hard to find a legit source...
    HSW will be here tomorrow. ill get back with taste/consistency
  37. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginandtonic View Post
    Where's all the bulk tmg?!? Hard to find a legit source...
    They are out their. For example, sometime we need to be Smart about where we buy our Powders.
  38. New Member
    Wocheezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    42091
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    91.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

    They are out their. For example, sometime we need to be Smart about where we buy our Powders.
    I was smart about where I got my powder once. The tmg smelled like fish food and was beige... Does that sound legit? Lol. Was about 5-6 years ago though
  39. New Member
    rosemont83's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    427385
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    75.1%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    nutraplanet doesn't have anything..
    Anyone have a good source they'd like to share?
  40. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    For the love of all thats good, I hope this doesn't anger anyone - but I would check:

    SP (Smart)
    HR (Rhino)
    NB (Bio)

    But even Vitacost has powdered TMG.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. All Aboard the Fail Train
    By Chub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:06 AM
  2. The best training style while "on" a bulker
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 01:49 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 01:58 AM
  4. The Calendar (Training Frequency)
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 07:25 PM
  5. The "Common Training Styles" sticky
    By Inzah Dude in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in