All aboard the Betaine train.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[h=1]Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone[/h]

[h=4]Results[/h]Arm CSA increased significantly (p < .05) in BET but not PL. No differences existed between group and time for changes in thigh CSA. Back squat training volume increased significantly (p < .05) for both groups throughout training. Bench press training volume was significantly (p < .05) improved for BET compared to PL at microcycles one and three. Body composition (BF%, FM, LBM) improved significantly (p < .05) in BET but not PL. No differences were found in performance variables (BP, BS, VJ) between groups, except there was a trend (p = .07) for increased VJ power in BET versus PL. A significant interaction (p < .05) existed for HCTL, with increases from BL to week 2 in PL, but not BET. Additionally, HCTL remained elevated at week 4 in PL, but not BET.
[h=4]

Conclusion[/h]Six-weeks of betaine supplementation improved body composition, arm size, bench press work capacity, attenuated the rise in urinary HCTL, and tended to improve power (p = .07) but not strength.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Woot woot ZiR RED. Congrats on being published friend

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought that most of us were already on the betaine train :p

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully now some/more companies will start producing it in bulk

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. So is 2.5g a day the standard dose everyone is using? Is split dosing a must, or is single dose acceptable?

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
What's the pharmocokinetics on this stuff? I mean is there is a benefit to split dosing or can you take your daily dose all at once?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've been using it at 2.5-5g daily for a little bit now - really enjoy it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha, thanks guys. We're going to be doing more betaine studies in the future as well. I have a few cool ideas to see try and see exactly what it can do, and how the hell it works.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the pharmocokinetics on this stuff? I mean is there is a benefit to split dosing or can you take your daily dose all at once?
It is taken absorbed and taken up by the muscles pretty readily. It also requires that time to build up in the muscles before it can exert its effects (similar to a creatine). I can't say with certainty, but I don't think you would see any difference doing one big dose vs. a split dose. Except for one side effect, and that is GI distress. I can say from experience that taking 2-3g on an empty stomach all at once leaves me running to the bathroom...

Touey

Touey

Awards
This may be the more healthy way to go?

Beets contain a 100% natural form of betaine

beet-top2.jpg
Overflowing with potent phytonutrients, health-restoring red beet juice with its rich magenta color and sweet, delicious flavor is reclaiming its rightful place as a wellness powerhouse.

Prized by generations of farmers, cooks, healers and doctors for their powerful health benefits and beautiful phytonutrient-rich color, our European heirloom organic beets are grown in the nutrient-rich croplands of Germany's Black Forest.

You are in for a very happy surprise with our Pure Synergy® Organics Beet Juice Powder—sweet, smooth, utterly delicious and alive with vibrant color. Plus it packs an easily assimilated nutritional wallop!

Beet Juice PowderBeet Juice Powder
Rich source of antioxidants and phytonutrients for glowing health and wellness
Supports healthy liver function
Supports a healthy heart and circulatory system
Recent study shows may boost stamina and exercise endurance
Traditionally used as a blood-building and cleansing tonic
Supports healthy Phase 2 detoxification and glutathione activity
Pure Synergy Organics
Beet Juice Powder
“Pure Juice” = highly concentrated source of phytonutrients with optimal absorption. 15 pounds of our special beets is used to make 1 pound of our Pure Synergy Organics Beet Juice Powder
In contrast to other beet juice powders in the market, absolutely no fillers, sweeteners, carriers or other unwanted additives
Our beets are a very special old world heirloom variety grown for their uniquely delicious taste and exceptional phytonutrient profile
Peak harvest and cold-pressed juicing for optimal nutrition and bioactivity
Patented low temperature vacuum-dried through an exclusive Synergy process to retain their wholesome goodness and freshness
The red-violet pigments in beets are not only beautiful, they are actually a unique and highly valuable form of antioxidant called betacyanins, widely studied for their ability to promote optimal health by supporting healthy detoxification and managing inflammation responses. Beets also contain a 100% natural form of betaine, a key body nutrient, along with potassium, vitamin C, iron and other vitamins and minerals. A recent study in the Journal of Applied Physiology showed that beet juice consumption increased stamina and exercise tolerance. So next time you go to jump on that treadmill, or go for a hike, bike ride or walk, consider a beet juice pick-me-up to get you through your workout or activity. Already a seasoned athlete? Beet juice may just kick up your training and performance a notch!

Beet Juice Powder
Suggested serving size: One and a half teaspoons. More or less may be used depending on your taste buds and personal preferences.

Here are just a few ideas but the possibilities are limitless with a creative mind. We’d love to hear about your favorite experiments as we build our recipe library.

Beet Juice Powder

Beet Juice Powder

Overflowing with potent phytonutrients, health-restoring red beet juice with its rich magenta color and sweet, delicious flavor is reclaiming its rightful place as a wellness powerhouse.

Prized by generations of farmers, cooks, healers and doctors for their powerful health benefits and beautiful phytonutrient-rich color, our European heirloom organic beets are grown in the nutrient-rich croplands of Germany's Black Forest.

You are in for a very happy surprise with our Pure Synergy® Organics Beet Juice Powder—sweet, smooth, utterly delicious and alive with vibrant color. Plus it packs an easily assimilated nutritional wallop!

Pure Synergy Organics
Beet Juice Powder
“Pure Juice” = highly concentrated source of phytonutrients with optimal absorption. 15 pounds of our special beets is used to make 1 pound of our Pure Synergy Organics Beet Juice Powder
In contrast to other beet juice powders in the market, absolutely no fillers, sweeteners, carriers or other unwanted additives
Our beets are a very special old world heirloom variety grown for their uniquely delicious taste and exceptional phytonutrient profile
Patented low temperature vacuum-dried through an exclusive Synergy process to retain their wholesome goodness and freshness
The red-violet pigments in beets are not only beautiful, they are actually a unique and highly valuable form of antioxidant called betacyanins, widely studied for their ability to promote optimal health by supporting healthy detoxification and managing inflammation responses. Beets also contain a 100% natural form of betaine, a key body nutrient, along with potassium, vitamin C, iron and other vitamins and minerals. A recent study in the Journal of Applied Physiology showed that beet juice consumption increased stamina and exercise tolerance. So next time you go to jump on that treadmill, or go for a hike, bike ride or walk, consider a beet juice pick-me-up to get you through your workout or activity. Already a seasoned athlete? Beet juice may just kick up your training and performance a notch!

Beet Juice Powder
Suggested serving size: One and a half teaspoons. More or less may be used depending on your taste buds and personal preferences.

Here are just a few ideas but the possibilities are limitless with a creative mind. We’d love to hear about your favorite experiments as we build our recipe library.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
This may be the more healthy way to go?

Beets contain a 100% natural form of betaine

View attachment 87554Overflowing with potent phytonutrients, health-restoring red beet juice with its rich magenta color and sweet, delicious flavor is reclaiming its rightful place as a wellness powerhouse.

Pure Synergy Organics
Beet Juice Powder

Beet Juice Powder

Beet Juice Powder

Beet Juice Powder

Pure Synergy Organics
Beet Juice Powder

Beet Juice Powder

You have to find out how much betaine is in it

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yo T-bone don't mix the two forms of Betaine up. TMG aka Betaine Anhydrous is what you want to look for, NOT Betaine HCL. Just a heads up for anyone looking too. Don't mix the two up... :)

Reactions: mw1
Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the Hcl is used for people with low stomach acid as its bound to hcl. Wouldn't be safe to take multiple grams a day iirc

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
swanson sells the betapower brand TMG

90 capsules 500 mg per capsule. at.... i forgot the price but fairly cheap
but at 2 - 3 grams a day a bottle would only last 12 days

mmats

Awards
I started taking TMG a few days ago in 1g doses (2g daily). Getting serious GERD, even after meals that Im not dosing TMG with. Hopefully my body adjusts soon because my stomach is lacking its usual acidity.

enhanced-buzz-28638-1360686605-16.jpg

BlackWinging

Awards
Smartpowders has 200 grams of betaine for around $7. They kill you with shipping though.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I know Jarrow has 500mg tablets. 120 tab bottle. I think they sell a powder too, which wouldn't be bad. The tablets taste fairly sweet. Not really sure how Jarrow compares price wise to others. I only bought it to supplement the TMG I get from GreenMag.

I see it for $11 plus free shipping right now. 24 servings if you need the full 2.5g.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just an extra post to make sure people buying betaine (trimethylglycine/TMG) are NOT buying betaine HCL.

Very different purposes lol.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anybody posted choo choo yet? If not:

Choo choo.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Betaine is really interesting stuff, and I've always thought so (I remember AEN years ago promoting it).

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Health Supplement Wholesale Warehouse has kilo's for $24:) I've used their noots and they seem legit. Fast shipping. I'd go with Nutra if they stocked it again.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Health Supplement Wholesale Warehouse has kilo's for $24:) I've used their noots and they seem legit. Fast shipping. I'd go with Nutra if they stocked it again.
Can't find this

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You wouldn't get enough TMG from beets, although they are good for overall health.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha, thanks guys. We're going to be doing more betaine studies in the future as well. I have a few cool ideas to see try and see exactly what it can do, and how the hell it works.
Jason,

Really awesome stuff man, congratulations! That's phenomenal friend! If you need any volunteers in future research LET ME KNOW!!!!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jason, I am interested to know if you have a hypothesis to any reasoning behind the differences between microcycle 2 and microcycles 1 and 3 in terms of results?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Congrats matey

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jason, I am interested to know if you have a hypothesis to any reasoning behind the differences between microcycle 2 and microcycles 1 and 3 in terms of results?
I discussed a few things in the text. One thought was that perhaps betaine works best for moderate-higher rep training (hypertrophy 8-12) that creates a larger metabolic demand vs. lower rep training (4-6 as micro cycle 2 was) that creates a smaller metabolic demand. that was for the upper body.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
ZR,

I take TMG (750 mg) three times a day; each time with a Jarrow B-Right.

Do you have any thoughts or observations as to synergy between TMG and B-Complex?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Improved Hcy metabolism. Which, based on our study results, likely isn't going to enhance gains (it won't hurt them by any means, though).

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Improved Hcy metabolism. Which, based on our study results, likely isn't going to enhance gains (it won't hurt them by any means, though).
Great, that is the reason I am taking the two together. The joy of having a family history of heart disease.....

bdybldnaam

Awards
Only tried TMG in the form of Condense, so not really sure how it will taste in bulk. I did some research and most say it has a mild sweet taste.

Ordered bulk TMG from a big UK supplier and just tried some in water.. it's so sour it's undrinkable.. I mean, it's so sour, I had to spit it out.
Tried to mask the taste with whey, but the taste is just awful.

I've looked into HCL and apparently it has that sour taste.. did I get the wrong kind of Betaine?

The bag says TRIMETHYLGLYCINE POWDER (TMG) and the content looks a bit like sugar.

Any suggestions to get it to go down quicker?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Only tried TMG in the form of Condense, so not really sure how it will taste in bulk. I did some research and most say it has a mild sweet taste.

Ordered bulk TMG from a big UK supplier and just tried some in water.. it's so sour it's undrinkable.. I mean, it's so sour, I had to spit it out.
Tried to mask the taste with whey, but the taste is just awful.

I've looked into HCL and apparently it has that sour taste.. did I get the wrong kind of Betaine?

The bag says TRIMETHYLGLYCINE POWDER (TMG) and the content looks a bit like sugar.

Any suggestions to get it to go down quicker?
I am not doubting your experience, but the bulk TMG I have is very bland, with maybe slightly sweet overtones.

It is NOTHING like what you are describing.

bdybldnaam

Awards
Thx Beau.

This is def not mild. Lol.
Nothing can mask this taste and it def not sweet.
Very sour and acidic.

Will try and contact them and hear what they have to say.