Best Joint/Tendon Supplement on the market?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

@mr.cooper69

Is it possible to stimulate cartilage growth (for the lack of a better word)? Medical procedures and/or supplementation? Have any legitimate compounds shown this ability?
    EvoMuse

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post
    Have a lot of problems with patellar tendonitis. First MRI just showed inflammation and now I'm getting a second after a cortisone shot did nothing. In the mean time what would you consider the best supplement for joint health, singular ingredient or comprehensive supplement? Looking to take something to help and be preventative in the future.

I ice, use a rehband compression sleeve, foam roll, attend PT, and use ibuprofen at the moment as advised by the ortho but he had no idea on joint/tendon supplements and was wondering if any were worth while in some of the smarter individuals opinions. I have very limited knowledge in this area besides what the talking head of a doctor has told me for the last year while providing zero relief.

I'm guessing my next step is synvisc or surgery in the near future after the MRI.
    Sorry if I missed it in the thread but how long have you had this issue? I have elbow tendonitis (started in December) and is just now really starting to get back to normal. I tried just about everything to make it better ice, aspirin, cissus, fish oil, stretching, elbow wraps, wrist braces, etc... Cissus and fish oil seem to help but I had to stop doing anything that hurt before I finally got to the point this passed month where I can actually do curls and tricep extensions again with decent weight.
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.18%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    @mr.cooper69

Is it possible to stimulate cartilage growth (for the lack of a better word)? Medical procedures and/or supplementation? Have any legitimate compounds shown this ability?
    Definitely
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
    •   

4. Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    Sorry if I missed it in the thread but how long have you had this issue? I have elbow tendonitis (started in December) and is just now really starting to get back to normal. I tried just about everything to make it better ice, aspirin, cissus, fish oil, stretching, elbow wraps, wrist braces, etc... Cissus and fish oil seem to help but I had to stop doing anything that hurt before I finally got to the point this passed month where I can actually do curls and tricep extensions again with decent weight.
    Elbow tendonitis is no fun at all and can certainly take MONTHS to fully recover from. Cissus will definitely help the process, but staying away from exercises that aggravate the condition is highly recommended.
    About 6 years ago I had elbow tendonitis for about 9 months so I know your pain and frustration

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    snsgamers.com
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.32%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    12+ months now. MRI follow up tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some answers. I was on prescription PK for two months and no lower body exercise except what I did at PT and it came right back after returning to activity. Cortisone shot did nothing so well see what the doctor says tomorrow. I'm pretty sure surgery is in my future.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.86%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Solgar® No 7
    Solgar®

Solgar® No 7 is the next generation alternative after glucosamine that increases mobility, flexibility and range of motion in sensitive joints.*

The Solgar® No 7 Difference

• Advanced Bio-Active Nutrients
    • Targeted Mediators Balance and Temper Joint Enzymes*
    • Enables Joint’s Natural Ability to Flex and Cushion*
    • Increases Mobility and Range of Motion*
    • Shows Improvement in Joint Comfort within 7 Days*

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Vegetable Capsule
    Amount Per Serving %DV
    Vitamin C
    (as Ester-C®, calcium ascorbate)
    100 mg 167%
    5-Loxin Advanced™
    (Boswellia serrata Extract [resin])
    100 mg **
    Turmeric Root 4:1 Extract
    (Curcuma longa) (equivalent to 200 mg of root)
    50 mg **
    UC-II® Standardized Cartilage
    (providing 10 mg Undenatured Type II Collagen)
    40 mg **
    White Willow Bark 5:1 Extract
    (Salix alba [bark]) (equivalent to 175 mg of bark)
    35 mg **
    Ginger Root 4:1 Extract
    (Zingiber officinale) (equivalent to 140 mg of root)
    35 mg **
    Pepper Spice Complex
    Cayenne Powder (Capsicum annuum [fruit]), Bioperine®
    (Black Pepper Extract (Piper nigrum [fruit])
    27 mg **
    **Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients:
    Vegetable Cellulose, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.
    Free Of: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Sodium, Artificial Flavor, Sweetener, Preservatives and Color.

If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medication or have a medical condition, please consult your healthcare practitioner before taking any dietary supplement. Avoid this product if you are allergic to aspirin. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature. Do not use if outer bottle seal is missing or damaged.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

"To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.84%

I put my daughter on Flexible Joint Formula after her second ACL surgery for several months straight. It made a big difference with the stiffness and soreness - especially the night and day after PT. The graft they used the second go round was the patellar tendon. She will from time to get flair ups with/or around her patellar so she starts taking Flexible again and it seems to clear things up.
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.81%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    @mr.cooper69

I haven't looked too much into it but remember reading that10g of supplemental collagen has been theorized as being able to increase endogenous synthesis
    Anabolic[Minds.com Site Rep
    Olympus Labs DemiGod
    accounts@olympus-labs.com
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I use NeoCell Type I and III collagen and it definitely makes a difference in both my joints and skin. You have to take it on an empty stomach though.
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.18%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I haven't looked too much into it but remember reading that10g of supplemental collagen has been theorized as being able to increase endogenous synthesis
    In the elderly. Biosynthesis shouldn't be compromised in the young
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    In the elderly. Biosynthesis shouldn't be compromised in the young

I'll pretend that wasn't directed at me...whippersnapper! My joints get a fair amount of abuse from 20 years of lifting and basically walking/hiking for a living. Here's some of the studies that turned me on to collagen. After a week or two of use, I noticed I was sleeping more comfortably without the usual aches and pains and with continued use I just feel less rickety.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18416885

http://www.ergo-log.com/collagensupplements.html
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.18%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I'll pretend that wasn't directed at me...whippersnapper! My joints get a fair amount of abuse from 20 years of lifting and basically walking/hiking for a living. Here's some of the studies that turned me on to collagen. After a week or two of use, I noticed I was sleeping more comfortably without the usual aches and pains and with continued use I just feel less rickety.

Great study. It seems it is useful in people with high collagen degradation rates for which biosynthesis cannot compensate fast enough
  13. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.81%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Thanks brotha man! Good info!!
    Anabolic[Minds.com Site Rep
    Olympus Labs DemiGod
    accounts@olympus-labs.com
  14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.64%

Thanks for posting that study.I was at CVS a couple days ago and happened upon a bottle of I picked up bulk powder Neo cell branded type 1 & 3 collagen for $17.

250+ grams seemed like a low enough price point to give it a shot for a few months,10 grams a day would be alright.I'm fairly sure that online bulk providers would have it cheaper.

On the other hand.....I just saw this.
    I have only read the abstract of this study below,haven't looked at the full text yet,but it doesn't look promising for oral collagen supplementation via bovine sources to be of any real merit in humans.

Bollocks....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23342047
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%

Great post though I am somewhat suspicious of this statement in the abstract;

"To investigate the metabolism of human femoral OA cartilage, explants were obtained during knee replacement surgery. Collagen synthesis of explants as modulated by 0-10 mg/ml collagen hydrolysates was determined using a novel dual radiolabeling procedure. Proteoglycans, NO, PGE(2), MMP-1, -3, -13, TIMP-1, collagen type II, and cell viability were determined in explant cultures."

Not having any familiarity with their "novel dual radio labeling procedure" is my first concern..ie is it an established method for measuring collagen synthesis or is this its trial run? Secondly, they don't outline how collagen was supplemented and what those protocols were so that makes me wonder how well they controlled for variables. From what I've read and done myself, taking the collagen on an empty stomach is critical to absorption/effectiveness.

Also, you can find NeoCell for about $10 a tub online...so at least it's a cheap experiment.

Like a lot of people on this site, I've learned to take both the science and the anecdotal reports with a grain of salt. For this supplement, there are some decent indications in the literature to support its use, but there is always negative data. On the anecdotal end, I like to treat large numbers of customer reviews as a potential data point. 1200+ reviews on one site alone averaging 4.5 out of 5 stars would seem to be relevant on some level.

IMO, a supplement of this nature is going to vary widely in its effectiveness in our particular demographic. You're either collagen deficient/old/rickety or you are not so that will have some bearing on it's effectiveness, perceived or otherwise.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.05%

Late to the party. I am surprised that that xhrr didn't have any success with JointForce. I have used it with great success with similar issues. When you used it did you use it twice per day and did you wrap it with plastic as directed. That truly does help with its effectiveness.

We do have the science to back it up. The active ingredients in JointForce

Zingerone - A potent anti inflamatory Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor activa... [J Med Food. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Beta-Androstenetriol 3-Acetate (DHEA Metabolite

Antiglucocorticoid function of andr... [Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

N-Acetylhydroxyproline:

Topical effects of N-acetyl-L-hydroxyproline on ceramide synthesis and alleviation of pruritus

Adensosine Triacetate

Adenosine, an endogenous anti-inflamma... [J Appl Physiol (1985). 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Methylsulfonylmethane :

Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane ... [BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

UridineTriacetate

Anti-inflammatory effects of exogenous uridine in an animal model of lung inflammation. - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

I don't think you'll find a more potent stack of anti inflammatories in one product.

It offers immediate relief(the Menthol and Zingerone) as well as the ability to help heal the injury via its anti inflammatory action through continued use
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition

17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.35%

Looks like I'm late to the party as well. I have a ton of experience on this topic. I had severe patellar tendonitis in college, which eventually led to a full tear. This first time I tore the tendon was playing football... then a year later after some intense rehab and getting back to 90% strength I tore it almost to the day playing basketball. Whatever you do... do not do any more cortisone injections. I had four over the course of two years, and I believe that this is what ultimately led to the first tear. None of the joint/tendon supplements listed above will do anything for tendonitis in your patella tendon, I know, I've used all of them. For while the only thing that would help were good old fashioned ice and rest. However, I have found a few things that have help me recover from both tears, and I'm back to about 95% capacity athletically. The first is platelet injections. They are about $500 per shot, but it's amazing the relief they can provide on your tendonitis. After my first shot I went from moderate/severe pain, to no pain whatsoever. You may only need one depending on how bad your knee currently is. The second are plasma injections. These are much more expensive (2k-3k) but have much longer lasting effects than the platelet injections. The great thing about both these options, is that you are using your own compounds from your body to heal... not some foreign concoction filtered in a lab. The only other option to achieve "actual" tendon regeneration is growth hormone. Not the oral growth hormone crap either, only the injectable will work. Other than that all these joint supplements do nothing for patellar tendonitis, they are meant to lubricate joints... not tendon repair. What you currently have are hundreds of little microtears in your tendon that cause the tendonitis. Rest and ice are first and foremost... but if you're stubborn like me please avoid the cortisone, and look into platelet, or plasma injection.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM
  2. The absolute best (legal) party stim on the market?
    By Irish Cannon in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
  3. What is the Best Total Body Cleanse on the Market?
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
  5. Which is the best MRP/protein bar on the market?
    By jjohn in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 03:49 PM