Coop, De__eB, Josh, Jiggz...or anyone of that caliber...

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Coop, De__eB, Josh, Jiggz...or anyone of that caliber...


    http://patrickarnoldblog.com/instant-ketosis/

    Thoughts, recommendations, realistic expectations?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep


  2. I have commented on it in a private science group I'm a part of. It's an interesting idea, but I'll reserve my *public* (since everyone loves to quote them) thoughts until I see PA's full presentation and cited studies.
    •   
       


  3. That's crazy interesting! In for reply

  4. I'm skeptical (as most probably), but I'm in to learn more about it.

  5. $80 plus shipping?. Wow. Could this product actually work?. Could it put me back into ketosis on my low carb days faster?. Looks interesting but not sure its worth the cash at this point.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I have commented on it in a private science group I'm a part of. It's an interesting idea, but I'll reserve my *public* (since everyone loves to quote them) thoughts until I see PA's full presentation and cited studies.
    This. I was following discussions on it as well; I could only speculate on what it is intended to do. EDIT: I guess he changed his mind
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  7. Does the body use ketones preferentially over glucose? I.e. would using this product in a higher carb situation inhibit the use of glycogen/ glucose?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  8. Interesting...

  9. I just need to know the purpose. I was initially told it was for fat loss, which I don't think it would help with at all. Now I see it's advertised as an ergogen, aka using a different metabolic pathway than glucose to allow for greater time to exhaustion. It may do this, but my one concern is raising plasma ketone levels in the absence of their demand, a phenomenon we often see in ketoacidosis.

    I don't know the doses of exogenous ketones you'd need, as I've never learned anything in that context, and I'm too lazy to dig...hence why I'm waiting for PA's references

  10. Look at this other thread too guys,

    KetoForce- Patrick Arnold does it again.....and how!!

    I'm interested to hear more but still quite skeptical on this.

  11. Yes, an exogenous energy source will obviously reduce oxygen consumption. I'm more interested in how significantly ___________ exogenous dose will increase plasma concentrations

  12. I posted that up in case some of you guys wanted to ask him some specific questions in there.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I just need to know the purpose. I was initially told it was for fat loss, which I don't think it would help with at all. Now I see it's advertised as an ergogen, aka using a different metabolic pathway than glucose to allow for greater time to exhaustion. It may do this, but my one concern is raising plasma ketone levels in the absence of their demand, a phenomenon we often see in ketoacidosis.

    I don't know the doses of exogenous ketones you'd need, as I've never learned anything in that context, and I'm too lazy to dig...hence why I'm waiting for PA's references
    How often do you see ketoacidosis outside of type 1 diabetes?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    How often do you see ketoacidosis outside of type 1 diabetes?
    Rarely. It can occur in type II in extreme cases. Ketoacidosis is caused by ketogenic acid supply exceeding demand, causing progressive increases in plasma acidity. This is in contrast to ketosis, where the insulin block on HSL perfectly titrates ketone levels in the blood to tissue demand.

    If we're introducing exogenous ketones, you encounter something similar to scenario A, though again, I don't know how significant the effect is and whether levels get "supraphysiological"

  15. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Rarely. It can occur in type II in extreme cases. Ketoacidosis is caused by ketogenic acid supply exceeding demand, causing progressive increases in plasma acidity. This is in contrast to ketosis, where the insulin block on HSL perfectly titrates ketone levels in the blood to tissue demand.

    If we're introducing exogenous ketones, you encounter something similar to scenario A, though again, I don't know how significant the effect is and whether levels get "supraphysiological"
    Like you said above, PA's citations will be nice to see.

  16. Coop Lion in the house!!!

    Wait, wut...???
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  17. Didnt the department of defense fund some research into ketone esters as a MRE?

    (P.S. Im flattered that my name was included in the title but im nowhere near qualified to really delve into this too much)
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  18. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Didnt the department of defense fund some research into ketone esters as a MRE?
    Few years back I believe.

  19. Search for Dr. Richard Veech and Dr. Kieran Clarke
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  20. Is ketoacidosis really a concern? Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs when ketone concentration reaches upwards of 25 mmol/dl and if I remember correctly when ketone esters were explored the target was around 4-6mm. Of course you have the risk of knuckleheads taking too much but isnt that always a risk with everything?

    Furthermore, dont we have feedback loops to prevent this? Specifically wont there be an insulin release
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org.../1188.full.pdf

    Which would increase the excretion of ketones into urine thus preventing ketone concentration getting too high?

    Anyway, my understanding of the product is it is not something meant to be used daily or frequently. Isnt it meant more to be used for just a couole days to help transition you into ketosis faster and than you discontinue use? Perhaps after a refeed of one is doing a CKD approach?
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  21. What are the supposed effects if one isn't too become glycogen depleted and remain high carb? Would introducing a ketone body just reduce the body's need for glucose? What if you kept eating a high carb diet while using the product?

    The directions for use would have to be quite explicit and all scenarios would have to be considered; marketing should cater for the lowest common denominator; esp. for those who do not understand how to enter ketosis.

    "Our results show that short-term exposure to β-OHB (4 h) does not modify insulin action in cardiomyocytes. Therefore, the inhibition of insulin-stimulated glucose uptake observed in these cells is not consistent with a direct competition between glucose and β-OHB as energy sources. However, the regulation of glucose uptake could potentially result from the intracellular metabolism of β-OHB. It has been shown that ketone bodies modulate the production of a number of metabolites in the heart. Perfusion of the isolated heart with the ketone body acetoacetate increases the concentration of acetyl-CoA, acetoacetyl-CoA, and citrate (31-33, 36). Randle and coworkers (33) have proposed that an increase in citrate and acetoacetyl-CoA levels could inhibit phosphofructokinase and pyruvate dehydrogenase activity, respectively. This would lead to an increase in glucose 6-phosphate concentrations that could then inhibit hexokinase activity and reduce glucose uptake in the heart"

    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/6/E1205.long

    Thoughts?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  22. I think we're rapidly losing physiological relevance here. Does anyone have kinetic/dynamic data on ketogenic acid oral administration?

  23. Guess we'll just wait and see what PA has to say
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  24. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I think we're rapidly losing physiological relevance here. Does anyone have kinetic/dynamic data on ketogenic acid oral administration?
    I feel like if you don't know/can't find any full text articles, we'll all be waiting for PA.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Subd for more info. Definitely a novel concept.
    Oh hai! I thought maybe you forgot your sign in info.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  26. I am subbed as well.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns

  27. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    Anyway, my understanding of the product is it is not something meant to be used daily or frequently. Isnt it meant more to be used for just a couple days to help transition you into ketosis faster and than you discontinue use? Perhaps after a refeed of one is doing a CKD approach?

    That would be my interest, in using it that way. I'm not sure its actually worth the price tag right now though.....

  28. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    That would be my interest, in using it that way. I'm not sure its actually worth the price tag right now though.....
    My understanding however is that it is a caloric energy source that is Glucose-less, alas in the form of Ketones...so maybe a "Pick-me-up" of energy that will NOT kick you out of ketosis. At least that is the understanding I got, since it is not glucose then oxygen consumption will go down (hence the ergogenic effect), and thus if it is significant enough it could help increase performance. Again...I'm not an expert.

    Questions would be (if used for fatloss), if it's a caloric source...can it be stored as fat? What are the benefits of it concerning fat oxidation, or does it help fat oxidation directly, rather than delaying exhaustion time to help fat oxidation via prolonged exercise time?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. ERGOTEST Rx Has anyone tried it or heard of it???
    By socal101 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 03:21 PM
  2. Hypoechoic Nodule on thyroid....anyone heard of that?
    By spinn in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
  3. Has anyone tried or heard of Mesobolin
    By PimpinLow98 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM
  4. Bobo or anyone else that can help me find
    By freezito in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 07:39 PM
  5. Remedilean: anyone ever use or heard of it
    By Kam in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Log in
Log in