Epsom Salt bath & intramuscular water

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I've read that athletes and MMA fighters use Epsom Salt baths w/ Wintergreen alcohol to drop water weight and soothe sore muscles/joints.. They claim its supposed to remove extra-cellular water and spare the important intra-cellular water..I'm curious if this is actually accurate.. IMO the body would sense the lack of ECF and therefore release Intra-muscular fluid to maintain homeostasis/balance between the cell membrane. On the other hand, it's possible that if one sufficiently hydrates in enough time, that it would negate this from happening.. I know these baths have their muscle relaxing effects, but I think it would be canceled out by intramuscular dehydration if indeed that's what happens...

gymrat727

gymrat727

Awards
Hmm this is interesting.. Same concept when baseball pitchers take an ice bath I suppose?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Hmm this is interesting.. Same concept when baseball pitchers take an ice bath I suppose?

No that's for inflammation...They also run a lot after their outings to sweat out toxins that are supposed to cause pain..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's referring to the toxins BS. You have a liver and renal system for that.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Where are these toxins coming from? Why do they cause pain (lol...)? Why would sweat help at all? Questions to ponder :D

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
"Supposed." This never worked for me back in my playing days tbh.. Just dehydrated me and made me more tired...

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Where are these toxins coming from? Why do they cause pain (lol...)? Why would sweat help at all? Questions to ponder :D

That's what I eventually wondered myself after I noticed 0 pain reduction. Only fatigue. It's just old information coaches everywhere go by. "Sweat it out and the pain will go away"

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
So back to the inital question, the intra-cellular fluid shouldn't be affected, correct? What if you were to take a postassium iodide bath lol...:think: (not srs)

edit: it'd be a sulfate.. so potash

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I've read that athletes and MMA fighters use Epsom Salt baths w/ Wintergreen alcohol to drop water weight and soothe sore muscles/joints.. They claim its supposed to remove extra-cellular water and spare the important intra-cellular water..I'm curious if this is actually accurate.. IMO the body would sense the lack of ECF and therefore release Intra-muscular fluid to maintain homeostasis/balance between the cell membrane. On the other hand, it's possible that if one sufficiently hydrates in enough time, that it would negate this from happening.. I know these baths have their muscle relaxing effects, but I think it would be canceled out by intramuscular dehydration if indeed that's what happens...
Interesting! I now a lot of fighters take 20+ pounds in water weight and have to "refuel" with IV after they weigh in.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I take these baths regularly, but only to be able to relax the muscles. At most I have noticed when I am done I am much more vascular. That's about it. I can't say I have dropped water, maybe an experiment for the next time.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I take these baths regularly, but only to be able to relax the muscles. At most I have noticed when I am done I am much more vascular. That's about it. I can't say I have dropped water, maybe an experiment for the next time.
The "vascularity" is a combination of the heat of the water dilating the blood vessels + the removal of subcutaneous water between the muscle and the skin

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
The "vascularity" is a combination of the heat of the water dilating the blood vessels + the removal of subcutaneous water between the muscle and the skin
Oh, ok. That makes sense.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established