Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.28%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Dietary Fats: Mono's vs PUFA's vs Saturated

Necessary Background:
    For 20+ years, Ive essentially lived on some form of a low/lower carb (higher fat) diet.

I began 20 years ago with Atkins, then switched to Protein Power (Dr Eades), then adopted and fostered the Low Glycemic Index diet principles as I slowly introduce "some" carbs back into my eating regimen via carb cycling/TKD and CKD.

20 years ago, I was not concerned or even educated for that matter on which types of fast to ingest for health, I pretty much just ate fats of all varieties and kept carbs low.

For what it's worth, I never noticed any discernable aesthetic or physiological or mental/emotional changes from my clueless neophyte low carb days where I employed the Atkins style of fats-eating (sloppy fats: sausage, fatty red meats, cheese until I'd puke) compared to 10+ years ago when I made a conscience effort to add EFA"s (Carlson's fish oil liquid) and add more raw nuts (all types), and avocado/EVOO/macademia nut oil preparations when cooking and avoided "nasty sloppy" fats. Heck, 20 hyears ago, I'd eat nothing but McD's double quarter pounders with cheese (no bun). every day for lunch (lol, yes, I was "that guy").

Even my lipid levels remained VERY healthy once I made the switch 20 years ago.

With all the talk about Coconut Oil as the superior saturated fat, and Mono's being the best fats and PUFA's being villified/demonized..... is there really THAT MUCH of a difference? At times, and being the consummate cynic, I don't know if I actually believe there is as much as the "studies" show and wonder if all the arguments are borm from food companies propoganda/tactics trying to push their own agendas for more sales - no different than any other foos source.

Let's face it, dieting and food in general are BIG money making topics in this world.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Hayden posted a very detailed research review on dietary fats to my Facebook page. I will get it later when I am on my laptop if he doesn't post it in the interim.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.35%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

I don't think PUFA's should be demonized at all.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.64%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    I don't think PUFA's should be demonized at all.
    What about the freaky oils with out of whack O6/O3 ratios? Or the trans fats?
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Fatty red meats is sloppy fats? If the research was biased via food companies it would be pushing canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil and trans fats as healthy fats, which the research doesnt support so its a bit of a push to say research is biased by food companies
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Hayden posted a very detailed research review on dietary fats to my Facebook page. I will get it later when I am on my laptop if he doesn't post it in the interim.
    Here we are:

When PUFAs are oxidized, they create problems that have as of late been falsely linked to SFA's (they are oxidized to aldehydes which may augment certain metabolic disorders).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

Similar Forum Threads

1. the best creatine ? Nitrate vs kre-alkalyn vs mono vs...
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
  3. Omega Thunder vs Man Clout vs Green bulge
    By ZoMbSta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 01:22 AM
  4. Dietary Fat Needed to Lose Fat
    By foo.c in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0