Berberine induced Atrogin-1/AMPk

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

Berberine induced Atrogin-1/AMPk

Some rat studies indicate suppressed muscle protein synthesis and increased muscle protein breakdown via both directly caused increases in Atrogin-1, as well as via AMPK -> Myostatin & Atrogin-1 signalling.

While it appears to be remarkably effective in glucose metabolism regulation, are these effects significant enough to justify concern in using Berberine supplements?

Does THEHUGE post here? I'd be interested in his take on this since he formulated Burn24 (an outstanding product) which includes berberine.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    Some rat studies indicate suppressed muscle protein synthesis and increased muscle protein breakdown via both directly caused increases in Atrogin-1, as well as via AMPK -> Myostatin & Atrogin-1 signalling.

While it appears to be remarkably effective in glucose metabolism regulation, are these effects significant enough to justify concern in using Berberine supplements?

Does THEHUGE post here? I'd be interested in his take on this since he formulated Burn24 (an outstanding product) which includes berberine.
    Coop has spoken a myriad of times about his opinion on many supplements that contain it...not only Burn24 , and while they are good for GDA purposes...they do hinder muscle hypertrophy. Would love to see if Coop wants to go at it once more hehe.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

Oh, in for coop then.

I also can't really tell just how much of an effect we're looking at.

Given that muscle protein synthesis is already significantly enhanced by exercise and BCAA/protein consumption, is it even enough of an effect to worry about?

As long as you're keeping synthesis at a rate higher than breakdown, or even keeping it close during a cut, is it really that problematic?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Yeah I've seen this. It was demonstrated in normal mice too, but I think the key here is understanding the big picture. Yes, berberine potently induces AMPK, but in trained individuals, this will simply increase glucose flux (and subsequent glycogen storage) in muscle tissue. In the context of a high protein diet (lots of mTOR signaling) and resistance training, me thinks the effects would be rather negligible. We don't see people on berberine or metformin catabolizing ridiculous amounts of muscle tissue typically
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Yeah I've seen this. It was demonstrated in normal mice too, but I think the key here is understanding the big picture. Yes, berberine potently induces AMPK, but in trained individuals, this will simply increase glucose flux (and subsequent glycogen storage) in muscle tissue. In the context of a high protein diet (lots of mTOR signaling) and resistance training, me thinks the effects would be rather negligible. We don't see people on berberine or metformin catabolizing ridiculous amounts of muscle tissue typically
    Cool. That was my logical conclusion, and seemed to be the google concensus, but I figured I'd get some current opinion on it.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Take SNS Glycophase and be happy!
    Agreed!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  7. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Oh, in for coop then.

I also can't really tell just how much of an effect we're looking at.

Given that muscle protein synthesis is already significantly enhanced by exercise and BCAA/protein consumption, is it even enough of an effect to worry about?

As long as you're keeping synthesis at a rate higher than breakdown, or even keeping it close during a cut, is it really that problematic?
    I remember the expression of it being higher in diabetics rather than normal individuals. I am not sure tho.

There was an old post by MulletSoldier that touched on this pretty well. Ill try and do a search for it.

Ill try and help find more information for you on the matter

http://usplabsdirect.com/forum/topic...ed-some-light/
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

to put in context, exercise increases AMPK.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post

And hight protein intake (and leucine too) increases mTOR signaling.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, I get that, exercise also induces mTOR beyond the inhibition caused by AMPK though, and chronic exercise blunts the atrogin-1 response to training. The concomitant increases in both hypertrophic and atrophic mechanisms as a response to exercise is quite interesting. All a matter of maximizing the positive effects of AMPK while minimizing the negatives I suppose.

Adel Moussa has a bunch of articles on AMPK/mTOR/intermittent fasting on his website (suppversity) that I found to be a very good read over coffee this morning.
  11. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Yeah, I get that, exercise also induces mTOR beyond the inhibition caused by AMPK though, and chronic exercise blunts the atrogin-1 response to training. The concomitant increases in both hypertrophic and atrophic mechanisms as a response to exercise is quite interesting. All a matter of maximizing the positive effects of AMPK while minimizing the negatives I suppose.

Adel Moussa has a bunch of articles on AMPK/mTOR/intermittent fasting on his website (suppversity) that I found to be a very good read over coffee this morning.
    Are you allowed to post a link? Always want to read and learn more.
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
  12. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    Answers
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    And hight protein intake (and leucine too) increases mTOR signaling.
    High protein intake can lower lifespan by mTOR signaling...Are we going stop eating a high protein diet to possibly save a few years?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

High protein intake can lower lifespan by mTOR signaling...Are we going stop eating a high protein diet to possibly save a few years?
    Not IMO, but I am just a youngling , what do I know about the later stages of life?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Proper Hydration and Exercise-Induced GH response.
    By chi_town in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 06:57 PM
  2. AAS induced injuries...
    By Jergo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 04:29 AM
  3. starvation and stressed induced hypothyroidism
    By hardasnails1973 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 09:27 AM
  4. Keto and Nutritionally Induced Thermogenesis