cAMP and AMPK - AnabolicMinds.com

cAMP and AMPK

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

cAMP and AMPK

I was wondering if increasing cAMP through forskolin supplementation pre-workout effected exercise induced AMPK activation in any way, I've seen one study say that it attenuates AMPK increases, and another that states that it increases it, as well as another that states it regulates mTOR. Any clarification would be helpful, when it comes to cellular signalling I get a little lost.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Hey, I'd like to hear that answer as well....I would think it would be very beneficial to use preWO...
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  3. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWinging View Post
    I was wondering if increasing cAMP through forskolin supplementation pre-workout effected exercise induced AMPK activation in any way, I've seen one study say that it attenuates AMPK increases, and another that states that it increases it, as well as another that states it regulates mTOR. Any clarification would be helpful, when it comes to cellular signalling I get a little lost.
    Go ahead and post the studies
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Well I can't yet post links, so just take the spaces out. ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pubmed/19167487

jbc. org/content/273/51/34496.full

I seems like it activates AMPk, while preventing insulin's activation of mTOR, especially when combined with a xanthine compound ( I assume theophylline's effects would be mimicked by caffeine).

From these it seems like Forskolin would only be good for weight loss, or taken in a fasted state like in IF. Please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said AMPk, cAMP, PL3k etc... confuse me quite easily.
  5. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWinging View Post
    Well I can't yet post links, so just take the spaces out. ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pubmed/19167487 jbc. org/content/273/51/34496.fullI seems like it activates AMPk, while preventing insulin's activation of mTOR, especially when combined with a xanthine compound ( I assume theophylline's effects would be mimicked by caffeine).From these it seems like Forskolin would only be good for weight loss, or taken in a fasted state like in IF. Please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said AMPk, cAMP, PL3k etc... confuse me quite easily.
    I'll delve into the biochem later, but note that what we are concerned about is endpoints. Human studies show an increase in LBM from forskolin administration, which is to say that forskolin is useful during pretty much any phase.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

So both of those studies found that increases in cAMP also inhibit mTOR activation (inhibition of mTOR leads means activation of AMPK and vice versa). Protein kinase A (dependant on levels of cAMP) regulates lipid metabolism (more PKA = increased AMPK = decreased mTOR in adipocytes).

important is that increased cAMP levels differ depending on the cell; in adipocytes (first PUBMED study you posed) increased cAMP leads to increased lipolysis (acivated AMPK),

in myocytes of skeletal muscle it stimulates glycogenolysis and glycolysis (also breakdown). It was once very prevalent in Fat Burners due to its activation of AMPK but there is some evidence of it working in promoting lean muscle mass with PKB is also activated (not PKA)
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

So it activates PKA and AMPk in adipocytes which leads to fat burning, while activating PKB which indirectly activates mTOR in myocytes?

So would taking Forskolin pre-workout lower the amount of AMPk in myocytes while still increasing it in adipocytes?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Marine Corps Boot Camp and Muslce Memory
    By jrampage03 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM
  2. Protein Synthesis and AMPK
    By Jim Sadler in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 03:48 PM