negative correlation between supplement knowledge and use

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We found a significant relationship between supplement use and the athletes’ knowledge about the supplements (p < 0.05). Greater knowledge about supplements was associated with less supplement use. Of all respondents, 48% believed that they had an average knowledge about supplements, but three quarters felt that they required further information. Those not taking supplements were more likely to think supplements were associated with health risks (33% vs. 8%, p = 0.03). Most athletes (72%) had access to a nutritionist but underutilized nutritional counseling to choose the best supplement. Coaches (65%) had the greatest influence on supplementation practices, followed by nutritionists (30%) and doctors (%25) after them. Men were more likely to get information from nutritionists, and women from family members or friends and physicians or pharmacists.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3430026/

Or in other words the more dietary supplement usage is associated with less knowledge on what and why they are using said supplements.

Not really too surprising honestly

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i remember when new years came around last year, one of my dumass resolutionist friends ran to *** and bought their overpriced creatine pills, oxyelite pro, and their mass gainer then asked if he should gt cla too. i was like "wtf is all that for? can you be more contradictive with your choices?"

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
But Coach said it would make me heeuge!

Yeah, not surprising but then their priorities are more targeted for on the field, I suppose.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good post. explains the typical guy at the gym who doesnt know anything and is on 3 different types of creatine all over dosed.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. As my knowledge of supplements has increased, my usage has actually went down. I still use supplements don't get me wrong, but I have more frequent times where I don't and it is becoming a rare day indeed where I ever run a "stack' of more than 2 products (non staples of course). I feel as if this will continue to be the case....as I learn more and more I will probably use less supplements and certainly less at one time.

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
The more you learn, the more you find out what actually works and what's plecebo, therefore, usage goes down. IMO

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Ray Lewis was taking like 50 shops a day.

Including Deer Antler Velvet.

So yeah, I believe this article.

jameshodge

Awards
This is not surprising. There are so many supplement scams out there that it doesn’t take much to wisen up. But I have to say that ones that do their research well will find that Super Beta Prostate isn't a scam. Their clinical research and numbers of men who are loyal customers are enough to convince the skeptic. But some have to try it to believe it. It basically improves prostate function so all men, not just athletes should do some research into it.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cough cough .. cell tech ... cough cough.

GigaPaladin

Awards
This is not surprising. There are so many supplement scams out there that it doesn’t take much to wisen up. But I have to say that ones that do their research well will find that Super Beta Prostate isn't a scam. Their clinical research and numbers of men who are loyal customers are enough to convince the skeptic. But some have to try it to believe it. It basically improves prostate function so all men, not just athletes should do some research into it.
lol

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
good post..just shows how stupid ppl can be