Oral DHEA supplementation improves recovery

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,761
    Rep Power
    2057355

    Oral DHEA supplementation improves recovery


    Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone administration on recovery from mix-type exercise training-induced muscle damage

    Abstract

    This study aimed to determine the role of DHEA-S in coping against the exercise training mixing aerobic and resistance components. During 5-day successive exercise training, 16 young male participants (19.2 1.2 years) received either a placebo (flour capsule) or DHEA (100 mg/day) in a double-blinded and placebo-controlled design. Oral DHEA supplementation significantly increased circulating DHEA-S by 2.5-fold, but a protracted drop (~35 %) was observed from Day 3 during training. In the Placebo group, only a minimal DHEA-S reduction (~17 %) was observed. Changes in testosterone followed a similar pattern as DHEA-S. Muscle soreness was elevated significantly on Day 2 for both groups to a similar extent. Lower muscle soreness was observed in the DHEA-supplemented group on Day 3 and Day 6. In the Placebo group, training increased circulating creatine kinase (CK) levels by approximately ninefold, while only a threefold increase was observed in the DHEA-supplemented group. This mix-type exercise training improved glucose tolerance in both groups, while lowering the insulin response to the glucose challenge, but no difference between treatments was observed. Our results suggest that DHEA-S may play a role in protecting skeletal muscle from exercise training-induced muscle damage.

    PMID: 22588361
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  2. Registered User
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ct
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,283
    Rep Power
    1571134

    Oral dhea good for someone on TRT? I recall reading that trt can lower dhea after a while and so users should supplement w 25-50mg?
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,761
    Rep Power
    2057355

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Oral dhea good for someone on TRT? I recall reading that trt can lower dhea after a while and so users should supplement w 25-50mg?
    There probably is some sort of down-regulation of hormone production caused by the administration of exogenous testosterone
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149920

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    There probably is some sort of down-regulation of hormone production caused by the administration of exogenous testosterone
    I thought the same and recommended the old AD formula to a friend of mine who is 55 years of age and taking the typical Androgel dosage. He's ordering FOCUS now, since the former has been off the market. Side effects such as low sex drive, lack of focus, apathy, etc. were taken care of when the 'super' preg and dhea were introduced.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  5. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Another recent study showed it helps prevent decreases in free testosterone following HIIT

    Total testosterone and DHEA-S dropped significantly until 24 h after HIIT for both age groups, while free testosterone of DHEA-supplemented middle-aged men remained unaffected. These results demonstrate acute oral DHEA supplementation can elevate free testosterone levels in middle-aged men and prevent it from declining during HIIT. Therefore, DHEA supplementation may have significant benefits related to HIIT adaptation.
  6. BBB
    BBB is offline
    Registered User
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,866
    Rep Power
    321364

    Good info.
  7. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    yeah i mean a lot of the info on DHEA is all over the place from its proposed neuroprotective effects to muscle mass etc. From what ive gathered from a brief overview is many of the studies will supplement with it but then fail to provide resistance exercise. The research looks so promising in rat studies, which it often does, but then fails to show the same benefits in human trials. I think the research on body composition is lacking but the recent studies that are mentioned in this thread do show some promise.
  8. Registered User
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149920

    Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    yeah i mean a lot of the info on DHEA is all over the place from its proposed neuroprotective effects to muscle mass etc. From what ive gathered from a brief overview is many of the studies will supplement with it but then fail to provide resistance exercise. The research looks so promising in rat studies, which it often does, but then fails to show the same benefits in human trials. I think the research on body composition is lacking but the recent studies that are mentioned in this thread do show some promise.
    Right on, brother. The notion that DHEA supresses endogenous testosterone is based on the logic that because it can convert to testosterone (in small amounts), must mean that it can suppress it. Maybe this is possible in high enough doses, but not in that of what we use to enhance our health.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  9. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Right on, brother. The notion that DHEA supresses endogenous testosterone is based on the logic that because it can convert to testosterone (in small amounts), must mean that it can suppress it. Maybe this is possible in high enough doses, but not in that of what we use to enhance our health.
    agree 100% ive actually seen some that showd increase in free testosterone, imo i think its one of the most underutilized supplements on the market
  10. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Rep Power
    350691

    DHEA is one of those interesting molecules that's a little involved in just about everything. Interesting abstract, I'll give the full text a read if I have time/remember when I get home.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,761
    Rep Power
    2057355

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    DHEA is one of those interesting molecules that's a little involved in just about everything. Interesting abstract, I'll give the full text a read if I have time/remember when I get home.
    I can send the FT your way if you like
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  12. Registered User
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149920

    Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    agree 100% ive actually seen some that showd increase in free testosterone, imo i think its one of the most underutilized supplements on the market
    As a matter of fact, after stopping a 4-year period of on/off steroid use and abuse (some 12 week back to back cycles of 1,000mg/wk test, 900mg/wk EQ, 900/wk masteron prop, 50mg/day Proviron, 50mg/day tren ace, etc), I was severely feeling 'fatigued' to say the least. I got on AD v3 (FOCUS constituents) and with the 'super' preg and dhea, along with moderate exercise and diet, I was feeling better than when I was 18, keeping and making gains well into 8 months after stopping the gear, and my body was already back in a state of being not just recovered, but enhanced. Without numbers to back it up, I can safely, securely, and surely say that it was THE critical factor in my recovery.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  13. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    As a matter of fact, after stopping a 4-year period of on/off steroid use and abuse (some 12 week back to back cycles of 1,000mg/wk test, 900mg/wk EQ, 900/wk masteron prop, 50mg/day Proviron, 50mg/day tren ace, etc), I was severely feeling 'fatigued' to say the least. I got on AD v3 (FOCUS constituents) and with the 'super' preg and dhea, along with moderate exercise and diet, I was feeling better than when I was 18, keeping and making gains well into 8 months after stopping the gear, and my body was already back in a state of being not just recovered, but enhanced. Without numbers to back it up, I can safely, securely, and surely say that it was THE critical factor in my recovery.
    Thats great news to hear, plus not only does it have possible benefits for recovery body comp etc. it also has had a ton of research coming out about possible neuroprotective benefits. Most of the research Ive read was on rats and how it helps to prevent dementia (alzheimers), and also some preliminary results showing improved cognition in humans with mild cog deficits. That itself is worth its weight in gold
  14. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Rep Power
    350691

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I can send the FT your way if you like
    I have access here at work. Thanks though. That drop in Creatine Kinase expression from the 3rd day on is quite a compelling result, IMO. Too bad they didn't look at steroid levels other than T and DHEA-S; would've been interesting to see how those levels changed concommittantly.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  15. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    yeah im surprised at some of the new stuff coming out, most of the studies in the late 90s and early 2000s showed no improvements in test levels but improvements in cortisol but failed to show sign results in body comp/muscle compared to placebo. I think most used untrained participants tho.

    I think the new stuff coming out about exercise recovery and neuro benefits are compelling tho.
  16. BBB
    BBB is offline
    Registered User
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,866
    Rep Power
    321364

    Researches are often only looking for specific results and overlook potential benefits and possible sideffects.
  17. Registered User
    alwaysfirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    181481

    Good info! Can somebody give me a recommendation on a good brand a dose for someone on TRT?
    Thanks!
  18. Registered User
    Killler's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    285282

    How different is 4-DHEA really than DHEA?

    I`m not a chemist so the 4 doesn`t mean much to me.
  19. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by Killler View Post
    How different is 4-DHEA really than DHEA?

    I`m not a chemist so the 4 doesn`t mean much to me.
    I am no chemist either but i believe it has to do with what they are broken down into in the body. I think 4-dhea has a higher conversion rate to test and therefore is more powerful but will [probably] shut you down more. I ve seen different variations of DHEA in prohormone products on the market so I am guessing they can manipulate them in manners to create greater anabolic properties.
  20. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysfirst View Post
    Good info! Can somebody give me a recommendation on a good brand a dose for someone on TRT?
    Thanks!
    Im not really sure how to answer this, but ive seen dosings from 50 mg up to 150 mgs in the literature. Maybe someone more experienced with DHEA can give a rec?
  21. Registered User
    alwaysfirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    181481

    Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    Im not really sure how to answer this, but ive seen dosings from 50 mg up to 150 mgs in the literature. Maybe someone more experienced with DHEA can give a rec?
    What's a good brand? Do I want the 4-DHEA or does it matter?
  22. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,435
    Rep Power
    5932870

    I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA rocks, and I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA does nothing. Jury is still out IMO
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  23. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysfirst View Post
    What's a good brand? Do I want the 4-DHEA or does it matter?
    It matters, depends on your goals. Your gonna have to do a little homework yourself on this one. If your just interested in replacing low DHEA from TRT then look into just DHEA. If you want something with [possibly more] hormonal infleunce I would suggest examining some of the sponsors on this board and asking them questions as a few make hormonal products based off DHEA.
  24. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA rocks, and I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA does nothing. Jury is still out IMO
    yeah samzie, for our purposes the literature is all over the place. Theres a little more punch to the neuroprotective possibilities but still lacking overall.
  25. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Rep Power
    350691

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA rocks, and I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA does nothing. Jury is still out IMO
    True of much in research.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  26. BBB
    BBB is offline
    Registered User
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,866
    Rep Power
    321364

    I've been using DHEA for years primarily because oral DHEA seems to help overcome my tendency toward lethergy. Topical not so much. I typically take 100 mg/day. I personally like Diesel Test Pro because it also contains pregnenealone and DIM for E2 control plus a bunch of other goodies.
  27. Registered User
    Killler's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    285282

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've been using DHEA for years primarily because oral DHEA seems to help overcome my tendency toward lethergy. Topical not so much. I typically take 100 mg/day. I personally like Diesel Test Pro because it also contains pregnenealone and DIM for E2 control plus a bunch of other goodies.
    Did you try 4-DHEA?

    If so,have you noticed some difference with it compared to your regular DHEA supplementation?
  28. BBB
    BBB is offline
    Registered User
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,866
    Rep Power
    321364

    I've used AMS 1-andro and 4 AD in combo. It did absolutely nothing for me.
  29. Registered User
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    41418

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've used AMS 1-andro and 4 AD in combo. It did absolutely nothing for me.
    yeah i heard these are dose dependent, plus theres gonna be some individual variation.
  30. Registered User
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149920

    I am going to learn more about 4-DHEA, as it's in one of the Androfactory products, but what I've read from researching on it when looking at PP's products, it converts to androstenedione and androstenediol. At the right dose, I've seen many users report good, quality gains with low, but not 'dry' gains. In my opinion, so long as prolactin is under control, there should be some water retention while gaining mass. Of course, when I'd cycle, I always tried to minimize it by inhibiting aromatase, taking natural diuretics, etc. but vanity can sometimes inhibit gains as well. I'd speculate that with the right delivery system, albeit oral delivery with enhanced absorption complex, or transdermal (reminds me of the 1-T/4AD transdermal that ROCKED), it can do a number on one's physique. Again, that's speculation and mostly reading up on old logs from the early to mid 2000's.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Does DHEA supplementation have any impact on the HPTA?
    By BigAk in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
  2. Dangers of DHEA Supplements
    By Viperspit in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 02:29 AM
  3. Transdermal/oral CUTTING SUPPLEMENT NEEDED!!
    By IronMind in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 09:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
  5. does DHEA prevent LH recovery PCT?
    By Anarchy939 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.