JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[h=2][/h]
Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone administration on recovery from mix-type exercise training-induced muscle damage

Abstract

This study aimed to determine the role of DHEA-S in coping against the exercise training mixing aerobic and resistance components. During 5-day successive exercise training, 16 young male participants (19.2 ± 1.2 years) received either a placebo (flour capsule) or DHEA (100 mg/day) in a double-blinded and placebo-controlled design. Oral DHEA supplementation significantly increased circulating DHEA-S by 2.5-fold, but a protracted drop (~35 %) was observed from Day 3 during training. In the Placebo group, only a minimal DHEA-S reduction (~17 %) was observed. Changes in testosterone followed a similar pattern as DHEA-S. Muscle soreness was elevated significantly on Day 2 for both groups to a similar extent. Lower muscle soreness was observed in the DHEA-supplemented group on Day 3 and Day 6. In the Placebo group, training increased circulating creatine kinase (CK) levels by approximately ninefold, while only a threefold increase was observed in the DHEA-supplemented group. This mix-type exercise training improved glucose tolerance in both groups, while lowering the insulin response to the glucose challenge, but no difference between treatments was observed. Our results suggest that DHEA-S may play a role in protecting skeletal muscle from exercise training-induced muscle damage.

PMID: 22588361​

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oral dhea good for someone on TRT? I recall reading that trt can lower dhea after a while and so users should supplement w 25-50mg?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oral dhea good for someone on TRT? I recall reading that trt can lower dhea after a while and so users should supplement w 25-50mg?
There probably is some sort of down-regulation of hormone production caused by the administration of exogenous testosterone

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
There probably is some sort of down-regulation of hormone production caused by the administration of exogenous testosterone
I thought the same and recommended the old AD formula to a friend of mine who is 55 years of age and taking the typical Androgel dosage. He's ordering FOCUS now, since the former has been off the market. Side effects such as low sex drive, lack of focus, apathy, etc. were taken care of when the 'super' preg and dhea were introduced.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Another recent study showed it helps prevent decreases in free testosterone following HIIT

Total testosterone and DHEA-S dropped significantly until 24 h after HIIT for both age groups, while free testosterone of DHEA-supplemented middle-aged men remained unaffected. These results demonstrate acute oral DHEA supplementation can elevate free testosterone levels in middle-aged men and prevent it from declining during HIIT. Therefore, DHEA supplementation may have significant benefits related to HIIT adaptation.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
yeah i mean a lot of the info on DHEA is all over the place from its proposed neuroprotective effects to muscle mass etc. From what ive gathered from a brief overview is many of the studies will supplement with it but then fail to provide resistance exercise. The research looks so promising in rat studies, which it often does, but then fails to show the same benefits in human trials. I think the research on body composition is lacking but the recent studies that are mentioned in this thread do show some promise.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
yeah i mean a lot of the info on DHEA is all over the place from its proposed neuroprotective effects to muscle mass etc. From what ive gathered from a brief overview is many of the studies will supplement with it but then fail to provide resistance exercise. The research looks so promising in rat studies, which it often does, but then fails to show the same benefits in human trials. I think the research on body composition is lacking but the recent studies that are mentioned in this thread do show some promise.
Right on, brother. The notion that DHEA supresses endogenous testosterone is based on the logic that because it can convert to testosterone (in small amounts), must mean that it can suppress it. Maybe this is possible in high enough doses, but not in that of what we use to enhance our health.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Right on, brother. The notion that DHEA supresses endogenous testosterone is based on the logic that because it can convert to testosterone (in small amounts), must mean that it can suppress it. Maybe this is possible in high enough doses, but not in that of what we use to enhance our health.
agree 100% ive actually seen some that showd increase in free testosterone, imo i think its one of the most underutilized supplements on the market

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DHEA is one of those interesting molecules that's a little involved in just about everything. Interesting abstract, I'll give the full text a read if I have time/remember when I get home.
I can send the FT your way if you like

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
agree 100% ive actually seen some that showd increase in free testosterone, imo i think its one of the most underutilized supplements on the market
As a matter of fact, after stopping a 4-year period of on/off steroid use and abuse (some 12 week back to back cycles of 1,000mg/wk test, 900mg/wk EQ, 900/wk masteron prop, 50mg/day Proviron, 50mg/day tren ace, etc), I was severely feeling 'fatigued' to say the least. I got on AD v3 (FOCUS constituents) and with the 'super' preg and dhea, along with moderate exercise and diet, I was feeling better than when I was 18, keeping and making gains well into 8 months after stopping the gear, and my body was already back in a state of being not just recovered, but enhanced. Without numbers to back it up, I can safely, securely, and surely say that it was THE critical factor in my recovery.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
As a matter of fact, after stopping a 4-year period of on/off steroid use and abuse (some 12 week back to back cycles of 1,000mg/wk test, 900mg/wk EQ, 900/wk masteron prop, 50mg/day Proviron, 50mg/day tren ace, etc), I was severely feeling 'fatigued' to say the least. I got on AD v3 (FOCUS constituents) and with the 'super' preg and dhea, along with moderate exercise and diet, I was feeling better than when I was 18, keeping and making gains well into 8 months after stopping the gear, and my body was already back in a state of being not just recovered, but enhanced. Without numbers to back it up, I can safely, securely, and surely say that it was THE critical factor in my recovery.
Thats great news to hear, plus not only does it have possible benefits for recovery body comp etc. it also has had a ton of research coming out about possible neuroprotective benefits. Most of the research Ive read was on rats and how it helps to prevent dementia (alzheimers), and also some preliminary results showing improved cognition in humans with mild cog deficits. That itself is worth its weight in gold

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can send the FT your way if you like
I have access here at work. Thanks though. :) That drop in Creatine Kinase expression from the 3rd day on is quite a compelling result, IMO. Too bad they didn't look at steroid levels other than T and DHEA-S; would've been interesting to see how those levels changed concommittantly.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
yeah im surprised at some of the new stuff coming out, most of the studies in the late 90s and early 2000s showed no improvements in test levels but improvements in cortisol but failed to show sign results in body comp/muscle compared to placebo. I think most used untrained participants tho.

I think the new stuff coming out about exercise recovery and neuro benefits are compelling tho.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Researches are often only looking for specific results and overlook potential benefits and possible sideffects.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Good info! Can somebody give me a recommendation on a good brand a dose for someone on TRT?
Thanks!

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
How different is 4-DHEA really than DHEA?

I`m not a chemist so the 4 doesn`t mean much to me.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
How different is 4-DHEA really than DHEA?

I`m not a chemist so the 4 doesn`t mean much to me.
I am no chemist either but i believe it has to do with what they are broken down into in the body. I think 4-dhea has a higher conversion rate to test and therefore is more powerful but will [probably] shut you down more. I ve seen different variations of DHEA in prohormone products on the market so I am guessing they can manipulate them in manners to create greater anabolic properties.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Good info! Can somebody give me a recommendation on a good brand a dose for someone on TRT?
Thanks!
Im not really sure how to answer this, but ive seen dosings from 50 mg up to 150 mgs in the literature. Maybe someone more experienced with DHEA can give a rec?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Im not really sure how to answer this, but ive seen dosings from 50 mg up to 150 mgs in the literature. Maybe someone more experienced with DHEA can give a rec?
What's a good brand? Do I want the 4-DHEA or does it matter?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA rocks, and I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA does nothing. Jury is still out IMO

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
What's a good brand? Do I want the 4-DHEA or does it matter?
It matters, depends on your goals. Your gonna have to do a little homework yourself on this one. If your just interested in replacing low DHEA from TRT then look into just DHEA. If you want something with [possibly more] hormonal infleunce I would suggest examining some of the sponsors on this board and asking them questions as a few make hormonal products based off DHEA.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA rocks, and I have seen well-conducted studies showing DHEA does nothing. Jury is still out IMO
yeah samzie, for our purposes the literature is all over the place. Theres a little more punch to the neuroprotective possibilities but still lacking overall.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I've been using DHEA for years primarily because oral DHEA seems to help overcome my tendency toward lethergy. Topical not so much. I typically take 100 mg/day. I personally like Diesel Test Pro because it also contains pregnenealone and DIM for E2 control plus a bunch of other goodies.

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
I've been using DHEA for years primarily because oral DHEA seems to help overcome my tendency toward lethergy. Topical not so much. I typically take 100 mg/day. I personally like Diesel Test Pro because it also contains pregnenealone and DIM for E2 control plus a bunch of other goodies.
Did you try 4-DHEA?

If so,have you noticed some difference with it compared to your regular DHEA supplementation?

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I've used AMS 1-andro and 4 AD in combo. It did absolutely nothing for me.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
yeah i heard these are dose dependent, plus theres gonna be some individual variation.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I am going to learn more about 4-DHEA, as it's in one of the Androfactory products, but what I've read from researching on it when looking at PP's products, it converts to androstenedione and androstenediol. At the right dose, I've seen many users report good, quality gains with low, but not 'dry' gains. In my opinion, so long as prolactin is under control, there should be some water retention while gaining mass. Of course, when I'd cycle, I always tried to minimize it by inhibiting aromatase, taking natural diuretics, etc. but vanity can sometimes inhibit gains as well. I'd speculate that with the right delivery system, albeit oral delivery with enhanced absorption complex, or transdermal (reminds me of the 1-T/4AD transdermal that ROCKED), it can do a number on one's physique. Again, that's speculation and mostly reading up on old logs from the early to mid 2000's.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I looked into their products a while ago and was interested in seeing how the RDe or whatever it was, did. From what I saw from logs of those who weren't seasoned in PH/PS/DS, they did not seem to be satisfied with the purchase at the high end of the recommended dose (for the AD series), as the gains usually didn't pass above the standard deviation of what's typically expected from individual gains on a slightly increased caloric intake along with an increase in workload or volume, based on the prenotion that the hormone would actually work. That being said, PCT was also not a problem for any of the users I've noticed, so it's either a very good, subtle and overpriced 'product' in general acting as mostly an anti-catabolic - or - it did nothing more than placebo.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you. For a while after ADv3 was gone, before FOCUS came out I was using DHEA and preg capsules, with lecithin, and a few other absorption 'enhancers' and grapefruit seed extract to increase the elimination half-life. I was happy in that it worked to an extent, but the FOCUS matrix blows it away and at 2 caps daily, it is fantastic.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you. For a while after ADv3 was gone, before FOCUS came out I was using DHEA and preg capsules, with lecithin, and a few other absorption 'enhancers' and grapefruit seed extract to increase the elimination half-life. I was happy in that it worked to an extent, but the FOCUS matrix blows it away and at 2 caps daily, it is fantastic.
Lecithin caps, I like that! FOG, keepin' it old school.

I still do the same thing stacked with some oil and miscibility promoters (probably similar to your concoction.) All nonGMO these days, of course.

I'm not sure if DHEA improves recovery per say, to any significant degree short of 200+mg/day, but it does discourage general catabolism from my experience.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established

I still do the same thing stacked with some oil and miscibility promoters (probably similar to your concoction.) All nonGMO these days, of course.

I'm not sure if DHEA improves recovery per say, to any significant degree short of 200+mg/day, but it does discourage general catabolism from my experience.
Dr. D good to here from you again.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established

Dr. D, good to see you, again! That's awesome that you mention non-GMO, as I am working on the site www.monsantomovement.com (just purchased it a few days ago) and www.monsantoprotest.com. Most soy in the country is GMO, but NOW claims theirs is not.

Other than the anti-catabolic effects from DHEA from it's metabolites such as 7-keto-DHEA, it's effects on the brain are very awesome.

I've been using the stack of FOCUS ('super' dhea and 'super' preg *enanthoxylated*), Citicoline, alpha GPC, p-serine matrix (Serinaid 20%), coq10, and a couple others... I wanted to add that recently I've tried a 5 day course of noopept and pramiracetam (15mg noopept and 200mg pram) and I'll be damned. The feeling is indescribable.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I've been using the stack of FOCUS ('super' dhea and 'super' preg *enanthoxylated*), Citicoline, alpha GPC, p-serine matrix (Serinaid 20%), coq10, and a couple others... I wanted to add that recently I've tried a 5 day course of noopept and pramiracetam (15mg noopept and 200mg pram) and I'll be damned. The feeling is indescribable.
What's the "stack of FOCUS"?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
haha thinking same thing mang, Teach us force
I'm glad you guys are interested in the stack and the reasons behind it. FOCUS is the foundation of the entire stack that I am utilizing. FOCUS is a product by Andro Factory that uses 'enhanced' forms of DHEA and pregnenolone, combined with a potent delivery system, that makes for the most effective neuroenhancing matrix that I've ever experienced. I started using the combination of these enanthoxylated forms of DHEA and pregnenolone just over a year ago, until that company that produced that product went out of business and now it is back with a new & improved delivery system, requiring less capsules per serving.
FOCUS by itself is what I would best describe as an 'neuro super-modulator', as it is the premier tool for optimizing the levels of almost EVERY single neurotransmitter in the brain and other hormones as well, ranging from GABA, dopamine, serotonin,... to cortisol, prolactin,... etc. It nourishes the adrenal glands and can be part of even the most advanced supplemental methods in sports nutrition science, including the metabolic overdrive, which utilizes pregnenlone, iodine, and some other compounds to completely 'reboot' thyroid function. I can't say enough about this product. It is also a stronghold for nootropics such as the racetams, as it modulates cholinergic channels and increases choline output.
I'm quoting myself from a post after I purchased FOCUS and started supplementing with it, before I was asked to be a representative for Andro Factory. I have been boasting and recommending this particular product alone for ANYONE and EVERYONE looking for a 'lifestyle enhancement' in all facets, as this product has changed my life.
I ordered a bottle of FOCUS immediately after I saw it was available. I thought it was too good to be true, but it's not. I got my bottle yesterday and I'm not disappointed. The way that I can decipher that it is working is by the way it culminates the effects of the choline I'm taking and some other things like p-serine. I've adjusted my choline intake by lowering the citicoline to 250mg in the morning, 900mg alpha gpc in the morning, and 1000mg p-serine (w/ p-choline in the Serinaid). I take 2 liquid caps in the morning with my handful of choline, p-serine, and coq10. Man, does it wrap up the gift basket and put a bow on top. My clarity of thoughts is razor-sharp, my memory is better with this cocktail than with Androdrive v3 alone, my motivation is sky high, and I find myself calmer and much more collected; Ready to take on the day. I received the bottle Monday afternoon and took 2 pills at around 1:30pm and this morning I took them at wakeup (8:00am). I am able to almost instantaneously recall some old memories, verbatim. Also, the synergy with the choline and the FOCUS gives me wicked, vivid, and lucid dreams while allowing me to operate on less hours of sleep with no decrease in cognitive function, but quite the inverse. I am feeling more on point than without this product. Enough ranting & raving for 1 post - 10 out of 10.
Without FOCUS, other nootropic supplements, other choline sources, etc. have not worked properly and now I can finally attain the benefits that they were intended to give, as FOCUS assures that all systems are running properly.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I'm glad you guys are interested in the stack and the reasons behind it. FOCUS is the foundation of the entire stack that I am utilizing. FOCUS is a product by Andro Factory that uses 'enhanced' forms of DHEA and pregnenolone, combined with a potent delivery system, that makes for the most effective neuroenhancing matrix that I've ever experienced. I started using the combination of these enanthoxylated forms of DHEA and pregnenolone just over a year ago, until that company that produced that product went out of business and now it is back with a new & improved delivery system, requiring less capsules per serving.
FOCUS by itself is what I would best describe as an 'neuro super-modulator', as it is the premier tool for optimizing the levels of almost EVERY single neurotransmitter in the brain and other hormones as well, ranging from GABA, dopamine, serotonin,... to cortisol, prolactin,... etc. It nourishes the adrenal glands and can be part of even the most advanced supplemental methods in sports nutrition science, including the metabolic overdrive, which utilizes pregnenlone, iodine, and some other compounds to completely 'reboot' thyroid function. I can't say enough about this product. It is also a stronghold for nootropics such as the racetams, as it modulates cholinergic channels and increases choline output.
I'm quoting myself from a post after I purchased FOCUS and started supplementing with it, before I was asked to be a representative for Andro Factory. I have been boasting and recommending this particular product alone for ANYONE and EVERYONE looking for a 'lifestyle enhancement' in all facets, as this product has changed my life.

Without FOCUS, other nootropic supplements, other choline sources, etc. have not worked properly and now I can finally attain the benefits that they were intended to give, as FOCUS assures that all systems are running properly.
Very interesting, I would like to hear more about this! Hopefully somebody (that's not a rep) can tell us about their experiance :)

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting, I would like to hear more about this! Hopefully somebody (that's not a rep) can tell us about their experiance :)
I feel ya, brother! I need to build a trustworthy status with a representative before I will actually give merit to their experiences. I plan on doing my own write-up for my charity, non-profit project that's for those looking to attain a better life through reliable, healthy means. I look forward to our interaction, Alwaysfirst!

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I feel ya, brother! I need to build a trustworthy status with a representative before I will actually give merit to their experiences. I plan on doing my own write-up for my charity, non-profit project that's for those looking to attain a better life through reliable, healthy means. I look forward to our interaction, Alwaysfirst!
Post a link to it when you can.

JRam

JRam

Awards
This is a good thread.

I'm 43 and have been using a 4-DHEA product for a short time now. Strength gains have been nominal to non-existent this far. However, it does appear to be leaning me out as my bodyweight (192) remains the same yet my pants are looser around the waist and my abs, serratus, etc., are more defined. Also, and perhaps more importantly to me, given my age and some other factors including a high-stess job, has been the effect on my mood and libido. I've been dosing it at 150 to 200 milligrams and I'm been feeling better than I have in a very long time. The effect in this regard is comparable to how I felt when I was pinning test in my early to mid 20s (seriously). It's a good product IMO.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
This is a good thread.

I'm 43 and have been using a 4-DHEA product for a short time now. Strength gains have been nominal to non-existent this far. However, it does appear to be leaning me out as my bodyweight (192) remains the same yet my pants are looser around the waist and my abs, serratus, etc., are more defined. Also, and perhaps more importantly to me, given my age and some other factors including a high-stess job, has been the effect on my mood and libido. I've been dosing it at 150 to 200 milligrams and I'm been feeling better than I have in a very long time. The effect in this regard is comparable to how I felt when I was pinning test in my early to mid 20s (seriously). It's a good product IMO.
JRam, that's awesome that you are reaping such benefits of 4-dhea. I honestly believe that the abilities of these dhea variants are great for the purposes of anti-catabolism, immune system support, slight anabolic capacity, fat loss, and 'neuro-enhancement'. I think that the dosage required for anabolic properties may be approaching the point of diminishing returns. My opinion and statement does not reflect that of any particular company or claims, but that is my personal opinion based on research, experiences, and overviews of many, many detailed user logs. When in an effective delivery system, 4-dhea seems to do just what you've reported and that seems to be the sweet spot. I'd love to get numbers to substantiate my thought that these dhea variants do not cause 'suppression' at therapeudic doses.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D, good to see you, again! That's awesome that you mention non-GMO, as I am working on the site www.monsantomovement.com (just purchased it a few days ago) and www.monsantoprotest.com. Most soy in the country is GMO, but NOW claims theirs is not.
You should put the link to your new website in your sig.

Yes, I see that NOW claims to use non-GMO Soy for their lecithin. I usually use that brand, and it seems to work well. I've also started trying to use their Sunflower Lecithin when I can find it. It's darker and more raw looking than Soy, and usually a cap or two is busted in the bottle (the softgel coating is more brittle at the seam) but it's PC content appears to be about 17% higher than Soy.

Other than the anti-catabolic effects from DHEA from it's metabolites such as 7-keto-DHEA, it's effects on the brain are very awesome.
It's good for just about everything, huh? At least the things that concern fellas like us. I once observed a guy with long-standing prostate cancer start using it daily stacked with Cholecalciferol, and 6 months later he no longer had cancer. Make of it what you may, but needless to say his doctor was dumbfounded.

Sounds like a potent stack indeed! I still haven't got around to trying Pramiracetam. How does it compare to others?

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
This is a good thread.

yeah this is def one of the proposed benefits of dhea, the reduction of stress, the military even did a study on it to see if admin to soldiers reduced their stress levels

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I've shyed away from soy because of it's potential to increase estrogen. I think it's pretty well documented that a low T/E ratio in conjunction with high levels of E2 are the primary cause of prostate cancer in men. 5-DHEA is pretty far up the hormonal stream. It can convert to a whole host of hormones including E2. Althouhgh I have taken DHEA for years I would not take without some type AI. I beleive that Cholecalciferol can work as a mild AI. I even use an AI when taking DHEA variants. I'm not completely convinced that 7-DHEA cannot convert to E2.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Awesome subjects have been kicking up the momentum in this thread! I popped on real quick to check my PMs, but I'm going to respond here in an hour. Much appreciated for the information and experiences, braskibra, Dr. D., BBB, and everyone else.