Phosphatidic acid for strength and size

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Phosphatidic acid for strength and size

Efficacy of phosphatidic acid ingestion on lean body mass, muscle thickness and strength gains in resistance-trained men.

Hoffman JR, Stout JR, Williams DR, Wells AJ, Fragala MS, Mangine GT, Gonzalez AM, Emerson NS, McCormack WP, Scanlon TC, Purpura M, Jaeger R.
    Abstract

ABSTRACT:

BACKGROUND: Phosphatidic acid (PA) has been reported to activate the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling pathway and is thought to enhance the anabolic effects of resistance training. The purpose of this pilot study was to examine if oral phosphatidic acid administration can enhance strength, muscle thickness and lean tissue accruement during an 8-week resistance training program.
    METHODS:

Sixteen resistance-trained men were randomly assigned to a group that either consumed 750 mg of PA (n = 7, 23.1 +/- 4.4 y; 176.7 +/- 6.7 cm; 86.5 +/- 21.2 kg) or a placebo (PL, n = 9, 22.5 +/- 2.0 y; 179.8 +/- 5.4 cm; 89.4 +/- 13.6 kg) group. During each testing session subjects were assessed for strength (one repetition maximum [1-RM] bench press and squat) and body composition. Muscle thickness and pennation angle were also measured in the vastus lateralis of the subject's dominant leg.
    RESULTS:

Subjects ingesting PA demonstrated a 12.7% increase in squat strength and a 2.6% increase in LBM, while subjects consuming PL showed a 9.3% improvement in squat strength and a 0.1% change in LBM. Although parametric analysis was unable to demonstrate significant differences, magnitude based inferences indicated that the Delta change in 1-RM squat showed a likely benefit from PA on increasing lower body strength and a very likely benefit for increasing lean body mass (LBM).
    CONCLUSIONS:

Results of this study suggest that a combination of a daily 750 mg PA ingestion, combined with a 4-day per week resistance training program for 8-weeks appears to have a likely benefit on strength improvement, and a very likely benefit on lean tissue accruement in young, resistance trained individuals
    I haven't looked into the mechanisms yet. Though I am curious.

2. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Answers

Very interesting ZR.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

260% increase in mass gains? Count me in. I'll have to research this later, this the only study you know of?
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rambofireball View Post
    260% increase in mass gains? Count me in. I'll have to research this later, this the only study you know of?
    2.6%.

FT:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-9-47.pdf
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The controls had a 0.1% increase over the course of the study, the PA group had a 2.6% increase. At face value that would lead me to believe the PA group had a 260% increase in mass accrual than the control, no?
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

The controls had a 0.1% increase over the course of the study, the PA group had a 2.6% increase. At face value that would lead me to believe the PA group had a 260% increase in mass accrual than the control, no?
    That would be 2600% more than control (2.6/.1).

At first, I was curious as to why it seemed to work so much better for squat strength than bench strength, but I figured it out once I looked at the training template: there's barely any lat training and it's so late in the session that the intensity would not be there. Plus, they only used cable-based lifts instead of free-weights and/or BW.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

That would be 2600% more than control (2.6/.1).

At first, I was curious as to why it seemed to work so much better for squat strength than bench strength, but I figured it out once I looked at the training template: there's barely any lat training and it's so late in the session that the intensity would not be there. Plus, they only used cable-based lifts instead of free-weights and/or BW.
    Lol, I just realized this and was about to post it myself. 26x=2600%, not 260%, My bad.

And, I think you may have misread about the exercises used in the study, according to this table free weights and bodweight were used.

Table 2 Eight-Week Resistance Training Protocol
    Monday/Thursday Tuesday/Friday
    Exercise Sets/Reps (RM) Exercise Sets/Reps (RM)
    Bench Press* 1,4 x 10 – 12 Squats* 1,4 x 10 – 12
    Incline DB Press 3 x 10 - 12 Lunge/Front squat 3 x 10 - 12
    Seated Shoulder Press* 1,4 x 10 – 12 Leg Curl 3 x 10 - 12
    Upright rows 3 x 10 - 12 Knee Extension 3 x 10 - 12
    Lateral raises 3 x 10 - 12 Calf Raises 3 x 10 - 12
    Shrugs 3 x 10 - 12 Lat Pulldown 4 x 10 - 12
    Triceps pushdown 3 x 10 - 12 Seated Row 4 x 10 - 12
    Triceps extension 3 x 10 - 12 EZ Bar Curl 3 x 10 - 12
    Situps 3 x 25 Dumbbell Curls 3 x 10 - 12
    Situps 3 x 25
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Lol, I just realized this and was about to post it myself. 26x=2600%, not 260%, My bad.

And, I think you may have misread about the exercises used in the study, according to this table free weights and bodweight were used.

Table 2 Eight-Week Resistance Training Protocol
    Monday/Thursday Tuesday/Friday
    Exercise Sets/Reps (RM) Exercise Sets/Reps (RM)
    Bench Press* 1,4 x 10 – 12 Squats* 1,4 x 10 – 12
    Incline DB Press 3 x 10 - 12 Lunge/Front squat 3 x 10 - 12
    Seated Shoulder Press* 1,4 x 10 – 12 Leg Curl 3 x 10 - 12
    Upright rows 3 x 10 - 12 Knee Extension 3 x 10 - 12
    Lateral raises 3 x 10 - 12 Calf Raises 3 x 10 - 12
    Shrugs 3 x 10 - 12 Lat Pulldown 4 x 10 - 12
    Triceps pushdown 3 x 10 - 12 Seated Row 4 x 10 - 12
    Triceps extension 3 x 10 - 12 EZ Bar Curl 3 x 10 - 12
    Situps 3 x 25 Dumbbell Curls 3 x 10 - 12
    Situps 3 x 25
    I was speaking specifically about the lat training (or lack thereof).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Not a good comparison. A 0.1% increase in LBM over 8 weeks is pathetic.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Btw, the whole phenomenon of improved squat/lower body strength vs bench/upper body strength is also observed with betaine anhydrous. I wonder if these compounds have an increased propensity for delivery/storage in tissues of the lower body.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Goddamn it, the study had competing interests. This may very well mean nothing at all, but still...I thought ergogenic aids were finally getting some unbiased love!
  12. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Goddamn it, the study had competing interests. This may very well mean nothing at all, but still...I thought ergogenic aids were finally getting some unbiased love!
    http://www.google.com/patents/US20120141448

Not sure how much of an impact they had on it though. It still looks like there still is some ergogenic potential for it IMO
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I was speaking specifically about the lat training (or lack thereof).
    Yeah, that does seem like some bad study design to have one of the main markers of efficacy be placed on something which is not effectively controlled for.

Not a good comparison. A 0.1% increase in LBM over 8 weeks is pathetic.
    I agree, it's nothing to boast about, but isn't the fact that the PA group followed the same program and had 26 times the growth an indication of it's effectiveness? (Not considering the possibility of bias/poor study design)
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I agree, it's nothing to boast about, but isn't the fact that the PA group followed the same program and had 26 times the growth an indication of it's effectiveness? (Not considering the possibility of bias/poor study design)
    In my opinion, no. Gaining 0.1% LBM in 8 weeks is pretty anomalous. For an 180 lb male at 15% BF, that means he would gain 0.15 lbs of LBM in 2 months (or less than 1 lbm of LBM gain in a YEAR). Idk what they fed the control group, but something they were doing was wrong.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

In my opinion, no. Gaining 0.1% LBM in 8 weeks is pretty anomalous. For an 180 lb male at 15% BF, that means he would gain 0.15 lbs of LBM in 2 months (or less than 1 lbm of LBM gain in a YEAR). Idk what they fed the control group, but something they were doing was wrong.
    Yeah that really doesn't seem right. You thinking it's foul play?
  16. Registered User
    Answers

Yeah that really doesn't seem right. You thinking it's foul play?
    Highly doubtful. JISSN isn't a joke of a journal either (at least, relative to some other journals that publish supplement studies). That said, I'd usually chalk it up to genetics and sample size, but 0.1% is too low even for someone with **** genetics. And there weren't significant changes in bodyweight x group x time, so it looks like the placebo group basically just got fat. I really don't have a good answer for you. A 2.6% increase of LBM in 8 weeks is pretty hefty though.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Highly doubtful. JISSN isn't a joke of a journal either (at least, relative to some other journals that publish supplement studies). That said, I'd usually chalk it up to genetics and sample size, but 0.1% is too low even for someone with **** genetics. And there weren't significant changes in bodyweight x group x time, so it looks like the placebo group basically just got fat. I really don't have a good answer for you. A 2.6% increase of LBM in 8 weeks is pretty hefty though.
    No worries man. Beyond everything you mentioned above, it is a pretty tiny participant number as well, which adds more potential for wonky results.

Regardless, I'll be super interested to see how people like it once it's released by someone.
  18. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Hmm is that right? was it LBM or muscle by dexxa? I mean in the 200lb 15%, sure you'd say 170lbs is LBM, but muscle is probably only what 45? still .1% sucks.

Or was it meant to be a maintenance diet? I only glanced at it
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Hmm is that right? was it LBM or muscle by dexxa? I mean in the 200lb 15%, sure you'd say 170lbs is LBM, but muscle is probably only what 45? still .1% sucks.Or was it meant to be a maintenance diet? I only glanced at it
    It says LBM.Upon closer inspection, the PL group basically gained no LBM OR fat mass. The PA group gained no real fat mass but had the 2.6% rise in LBM. So it would follow that the PA group was eating above maintenance
  20. Registered User
    Answers

It was just proven bioavailable in humans - http://www.jissn.com/content/10/S1/P22

Now when are we going to see some supplements available? Chemi Nutra still has it listed as "coming soon"
  21. Registered User
    Answers

We already knew it was bioavailable, how else would the effects of the initial study be observed? It's under patent right now and basically only the patent holders want to sell it...licensing not available
  22. Registered User
    Answers

We already knew it was bioavailable, how else would the effects of the initial study be observed? It's under patent right now and basically only the patent holders want to sell it...licensing not available
    Layne mentioned just a few months ago that he still had concerns of the bioavailability (maybe because of competing interests from the initial study). Some articles I read before led me to believe it had possibly already been licensed out, but maybe they were just worded poorly. Im still waiting on a response from Chemi Nutra.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Response from Chemi Nutra -

Thanks for reaching out regarding Mediator® Phosphatidic Acid (PA).

At this point Mediator® is not currently available to the commercial market. However, a customer that is using it in a finished product should be releasing their product very soon; likely by the New Year.

Best regards,
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

The patent is being butchered pretty heavily in review.

Claims 4-5, 10-24, and 27 have already been cancelled by Chemi-nutra.

Claims 1-3, 6-9, 25-26, 28-36 (all of the rest) are still rejected in the 3rd revision and subsequent non-final rejection of the patent.

SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  25. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Looks like biotest is planing a release.
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  26. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by flightposite View Post
    Looks like biotest is planing a release.
    Yeah, Biotest is bringing it out this month. At probably only 200 dollar markup!
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce

Yeah, Biotest is bringing it out this month. At probably only 200 dollar markup!
    Lmao. Yeah for auto ship only hahaha
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  28. Registered User
    Answers
  29. Registered User
    Answers

lol $65 for 20 servings...

anyone take the plunge?
  30. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mmats View Post

anyone take the plunge?
    I haven't read the article yet but I'm sure it's a micro encapsulated patent pending liquicap delivery system designed to immediately deliver phosphatic acid right to the muscles. And I'm sure some really strong guys have mentioned that it has dropped bodyfat and/or increased muscle mass at a rate they never thought was possible.

I hate the way they market everything, but in a way I tip my hat to them as misleading genuises. A lot of the people on that site lick up everything they say as gospel. Many people on that site would buy it if it was 20 servings for 125 dollars.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Answers

The ingredient is really expensive FWIW and it looks like T-Nation is licensing it from Chemi-Nutra.
    SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Would really love to take the plunge is my funds would allow me..
    BPS Rep
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
  33. Registered User
    Answers

Got a discount so bought 3 bottles. Will be stacking with Analyzed Supplements Leucine tabs. Let the fun begin...
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame84 View Post
    Got a discount so bought 3 bottles. Will be stacking with Analyzed Supplements Leucine tabs. Let the fun begin...
    You should run a log (or post link if you already are)
    BPS Rep
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mmats View Post

anyone take the plunge?
    Test p is like $10 a vial, $30 at the most. What ever happened to supplements that worked? M1T was laced with Dbol at one point and it was cheap.
  36. Registered User
    Answers

Subbed
  37. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame84 View Post
    Would definitely like your feedback. T-nation has so many people who won't talk negatively about them no matter what. Really hope you have a good run. Let us know.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

38. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    Would definitely like your feedback. T-nation has so many people who won't talk negatively about them no matter what. Really hope you have a good run. Let us know.
    It's not that dissimilar to one of the companies on this board...no offense to them, but they pretty much can do no wrong no matter what. Tnation is also highly, highly moderated as well so we don't even get to see the negative. I'm eager to see feedback on this.
  39. Registered User
    Answers

I probably won't do a log because I'd be too lazy at doing it. But I will report back what I experience when I can. I figured Leucine tabs would be ideal to stack with this. The human study and research is the reason why I decided to take the plunge.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

PA + ARA maybe?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Your meal plan for elite strength and size!
    By tashygirl in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM
  2. SRS SUMMER CYCLE, FOR STRENGTH AND SIZE
    By lyfespan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM
  3. Best Supplement for strength and size(NATURALLY!!)
    By SHaneA655 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
  4. cycle help, for strength, not size!!
    By powerman12345 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
  5. Anabolics for Strength and Endurance
    By Doomsday in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM