Volcom's Secret Rehabilitation Log with 3-AD & MassFX

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, by the time I’ve put this out I’ll have probably been a few days into my self-rehab. As some of you might know, I was rip roar’n to go with my 3-AD/MassFX & Lean Xtreme cycle a little while back, but on the opening day of my cycle, I blew my lumbar on my first exercise (bent over rows). I had a previous slip disc injury at my L2 a few years back and apparently, I SERIOUSLY re-aggravated the injury (I’ve had flares, pains and tensions in that same spot here and there on occasion, but nothing debilitating. My re-injury was seriously debilitating) and my chiro that day made it much, MUCH WORSE. I wobbled into his office, but was not able to walk out. It was the spinal decompression machine. Timing may have been misjudged because my injury was so acute. Meaning, I came in inflammed and the decompression normally causes some inflammation, so it was truly like adding oil to the flame. Two fold inflammation at the L2 pretty much makes you a useless piece of specimen with the ability to flail your arms around and that’s about it.

The first night of my injury I couldn’t walk. I technically could, but the pain from merely standing erect was more then I could bear and every simple movement of my legs created sharp, shooting pains that would paralyze me and cause me to freeze and tense up in whatever motion I was in.

The next morning I had to eat my cereal standing/slouched because our couches were low enough where bringing the bowl anywhere near my face was far beyond my lumbar flexion ROM. I also couldn’t wear socks because reaching down to put my socks on exceeded my lumbar flexion ROM (pain tolerable ROM).

In about a week I intend on returning to the gym, but nowhere near full fledge. I couldn’t bend over to load up 45lbs to save my life and I can’t get up from a laying down position without manual assistance or objects I can use for support and leverage to climb myself up to my feet. I’ll be primarily sticking with machines for most part, and work my way up to the free weights when I get my lumbar, pain free ROM back. I’ll be rehabilitating my back with stretches and no to low weight back extension movements/machines just for the blood flush. Norwegian recommended those full body, back & hip supports that those Walmart box lifters wear, which I’ll most likely be wearing (or something even better & more sturdy if possible).

I didn’t want to open this log up from the beginning because there are too many wise and knowledgeable people on AM and you may have discouraged me from returning to the gym at all so soon. I’d be the first person posting my apprehensions to this idea if it weren’t myself doing this. The situation is, I work full time and go to school almost full time and Summer just started for me. I’ve been waiting in underwear wetting anticipation to have this much amount of free time to dedicate to working out and THIS happens. I can’t do PH or PH like cycles during school because I can’t afford the lethargy, and I can’t sit by and watch my days go by until its school time again and my life is completely encumbered by tight schedules, projects, studying and deadlines (and girlfriend and work). So for those of “US” (myself included) who would innately recommend against this, I have some subjective, emotional pulling, which tends to override intellect time and time again (especially with women). For those who are thinking, “what a waste of an expensive stack.” It’s a timing thing for me, I don’t want to lose this free time I have. I have to exploit these free hours to the best of my circumstance and money really isn’t an issue for me.

I wanted to continue my pattern of Recomping, but my ability to do cardio is severely limited and my cardio intensity and diet discipline seem to go hand in hand. If one is ON, then so is the other. If I’m not doing cardio, I’m much careless with my diet. I will see how this works out.

Prime Cycle
- 3 AD 6 caps
- MassFX 6 caps

Secondary Support
- Lean Xtreme 3 caps (cortisol control)
- X Factor 3 caps (I know this seems random; I have an “opened” bottle and the summer time makes my 3rd floor apt hot enough to cook a steak on my drawers, so I justified it as a preventative measure to supplement wasting; use it or lose it. Oil caps, as experienced by my Fish Oil pills, if they get too warm their surfaces lose their integrity and they stick to each other and then meld together when it cools. The X-factor pills do feel harder probably has a higher tolerance then Fish Oil pills to break surface integrity, but hot weather does crazy things)
- Creatine (Haven’t been on Creatine in 3 months, so I’m looking forward to its full benefits. I know MOST people like adding Creatine in the PCT, but I have the AP going on as an added side combo and I don’t see the point of waiting)

Dietary Buffers/Enhancements while ON and during PCT.

- Anabolic Pump (AP & Creatine make a sexy combo in of themselves)
- Pslin (won’t use this as much, only for high replenish days)
- DCP 3 caps a day (for the fatty intake requirements of 3-AD)

PCT
- aPCT (AX imperative to 3-AD)
- Retain 2 (AX suggestive to 3-AD/cortisol control)
- MassFX (AX added plus to any PCT)
- Creatine (You know the story)

Final Lap (Assuming I can cardio by this point. I only take fat loss supps if I can be proactive in a fat loss program; it’s a principle of mine)
- Recreate at 6 caps a day (I’ve done 6 caps previously, I’m perfectly okay taking this dosage)
- Leviathan Reloaded at 4 caps a day (I’ve tried 6 and the Yohimbine hcl-methyl-whatever gives me headaches, so 4 really is my magic number)
- DCP at 6 caps a day (I’ve taken up to 10; I have an iron stomach)

For those concerned about an excess of caffeine, both Recreate and Levi Re are low impact stims. Recreate is a borderline non-stim category for me, so no worries. I have ephedrine hcl I probably won’t cycle in, but the option is there, but this last phase is dependent upon my ability to perform cardio (I can barely walk right now) so it might not even happen. Cross my fingers.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today is Wednesday. My first day returning to the gym is planned for next Monday as it stands right now. I’ll be seeing a Chiropractor regularly, 3-4 times a week. Electrical Muscle Stimulation, Deep Tissue Ultrasound, Therapeutic Massage (by a machine, not an Asian chick with a happy ending), Spinal Manipulations and to hell with that spinal decompression machine that made me bedridden.

It might be too late to say I will be smart about it, but I will. If it hurts, I won’t do it, if it’s uncomfortable, I won’t do it, if I have to do water-fricken-aerobics with AX supps in my blood, that’s what I’ll have to do. I hope some of you stick around when I open this log up. God Speed, to myself.

My last general measures of strength prior to my injury.

5'11
212lbs
Flat Bench 390lbs 1RM @212lbs
Dead Lift 495lbs x 2 reps @212lbs
Barbell Rows 405lbs x 6 reps for multiple sets@212lbs

This information won’t serve any purpose from here on end because I’ll be aiming more toward hypertrophy then strength, so my rep scheme will be much more voluminous. I won’t be anywhere near the 1-5 rep realm probably for the remainder of the summer, but I’ve noticed that everybody else includes stats in their logs, so that was for the sake of tradition. I won’t be performing any of the above listed exercises anytime soon, with the exception of flat bench upon physical improvement.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 3 of my injury

I’m still having a lot of trouble getting up out of a chair, out of bed or my car. Each time I stand to my feet I get some sharp, shooting pains in my back that makes me want to sit back down to make it go away, but I have to stand there and grit my teeth for probably under 10 seconds each time. The pain radiates and radiates, then it goes away, but then the next few steps will cause sharp pains in my back. It seems my body needs a couple seconds to figure out where to intensely tense up to guard my back, then I can walk slowly, with less occurrence of sharp, shooting pains.

Getting in and out my car has been quite the challenge. I have to lower myself in using the roof and the car door as leverage and support. Once I’ve lowered myself onto my driver’s seat, I can’t lift my legs into the car because that feels like a sledge hammer to the spine, so I have to manually lift and drag my legs in. You’d be surprised how many seemingly indirect functions the lower back plays in daily life.

Work has been a painful experience because I have to get up and out of my chair very often, and each time I have to get up, I go through a quick 10 seconds of hell in my lumbar, but that’s the situation, at least I can walk, still beats being in a wheelchair.

I still can’t bend over enough to put on a pair of socks. The difference in distance from putting shoes on and putting socks are so slight, but still just far enough to be out of my pain tolerable reach.

I bought a double reinforced lumbar support belt, which I’m wearing now and I tightly wrap my power lifting belt around that. It seems to help, but its so tight that it irritates my skin.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and got mentally wired, thinking about which exercises I’ll be able to or not be able to perform. This kept me up for a good couple hours. I thought about doing laying double Db tricep extensions, but then remembered I won’t be able to get back up (at least not without making a scene like a drunk old man trying to stand to his feet, worming and squirming and latching on to things). Its easy to forget that you’re injured when you’ve been used to being so strong and healthy for so many years.

I can’t wait to get back in the gym.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day Before Re-launch

I intend on hitting my first session of Special Olympics Bodybuilding tomorrow (Saturday, two days earlier then originally scheduled). Performing an all machines chest day was on the menu, but the impact against the back of the seat might still be a problem for me. I’ll probably go with Bi’s, do an all machines workout and I may head to a different gym that has the better tri’s machines.

I really want to be able to do the stairclimber, but that may be pushing it. Last thing I want to do is have a sharp pain paralyze me and then I get tossed off the stairs like a YouTube gym follies highlight video.

My diet will be clean. I’ve kept it clean all week without the added conviction of having just trained my @$$ off or cardio’d my @$$ off. It’s hard to diet right when you’re sedentary, it feels like, “what’s the point?” But I did good. I’m afraid to weigh myself however. Some people are afraid of loss of weight due to catabolism from lack of resistance training. Not me, I get afraid from weight gain from lack of calorie burning activity. I can bulk on Oxygen & 2 Carbons. I have to watch how much I breathe or I’ll size.

As far as my injuries goes.

I still can’t put on a pair of socks to save my life. I just can’t bend over that far.

I am able to get out of bed in one or two tries. Previously, it’d take around 5-6 tries because there is a pain that takes over at a certain range of motion that it repels me back down, and it all comes down to gritting my teeth and pushing through that pain barrier. Now, the pain is still there, but bearable enough that it only takes a couple tries to force myself through that pain barrier.

Getting in and out of a car still sucks. I still have to manually lift and drag my legs into the car because raising my leg from that position is a painfully impossible movement.

I’m not trying to be vulgar or anything here, but going #2 is probably the worst experience. It forces me to sit erect, with no back support and that’s something I can’t do without being overwhelmed by pain and I can’t bend over enough to lean my elbows on my thighs, so I have to fidget around every few seconds to find the path of least pain, until whatever muscles that are overcompensating to give me a brief relief exhausts.

I still walk like a gimp. My arms are in a high guard like a 2yr old learning to walk and I have to be real careful about my heal-toe steps. If I step flat footed, its trouble, or if the ground dynamic changes, like a little lift or drop in the ground and I don’t see it and cater my step to the slight change of terrain, its trouble.

On the plus side, wearing my double reinforced lumbar support with my lifting belt around it helps keep me stabilized at work. It forces great lumbar posture so sitting isn’t so painful.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 1 (AM Session)

Day 1 AM

Great news, I hesitantly weighed myself this morning and I have hung on to 212lbs. I was worried about gain, not loss.

Machine, Preacher Curls - Supinated
60lbs x 15 reps
70lbs x 12 reps
80lbs x 10 reps
90lbs x 9 reps
90lbs x 9 reps
100lbs x 8 reps

Machine, Hammer Preacher Curls - (Neutral grip is assumed, but just in case people don't know)
50lbs x 15 reps
70lbs x 12 reps
90lbs x 10 reps
95lbs x 9 reps
95lbs x 8 reps

Machine, One Arm High Curls
50lbs x 15 reps each arm
60lbs x 12 reps each arm
70lbs x 10 reps each arm
80lbs x 9 reps each arm
80lbs x 8 reps each arm

and I couldn't help myself,

15 min on Stairmaster at level 6

My last "healthy" session on the Stairmaster was 40 min at level 12, so no need to tell me how lame 15 min at level 6 is, but it became too unbearable. I know I said I won't do anything that caused pain or discomfort and I stuck with that. At first I was over-compensating with my upper body, holding myself up and sharing the load with my lumbar when I stepped, but it felt like one long isometric assisted dip and once my upper body fatigued, I began taking full lumbar pressure steps and I had to stop.

Another challenge was my lumbar support belt. I have to wear it very low, half of the belt falls below my pant line, so everytime I stepped up on the Stairmaster, my thighs were constricted and that caused a burning like no other. Nonetheless, its a start.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 1 (PM Session)

Day 1 PM Session

15 min on Stairstepper at level 6.

Since the Stairclimber gave me too much trouble with the thigh constrictions due to my lumbar support belt, I thought I'd give something with a lower step requirement, like the stepper. Nonetheless, I still had to over-compensate with my upper body making it extremely difficult to do for a prolonged duration. I set the timer at 45 min, but I was done by 15 min. I'm still trying...

Db Reverse Wrist Curls
[non-stop, switching from hand to hand without rest between sets]
30lbs Db's x 20 reps each arm
30lbs Db's x 18 reps each arm
30lbs Db's x 15 reps each arm
30lbs Db's x 12 reps each arm
30lbs Db's x 10 reps each arm

Db Wrist Curls
[non-strop, switching from hand to hand without rest between sets]
30lbs Db's x 25 reps each arm
30lbs Db's x 12 reps each arm

This normally would not be a whole workout for me, but since this is the second session of my first day back, I just wanted to keep it safe & simple. However, don't get me wrong, it still burned like hell when you do this with minimal rest.

Day 1 back to the gym was a success. My cardio showed the most problem, but I'll get back. I don't see myself being able to perform HIIT anytime soon, but at least I can do some form of static cardio, I'm thankful for that.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 2 (AM Session)

Day 2
Tri's

Smith, Close Grip Bench Press
[I was able to use the bar to pull myself up and off the bench]
[Safety Precautions:
[* I didn't load with 45lbs plates, only 25's and 10's.
[* I didn't bend over to grab any weights. I only went for weights that were available at chest level
145lbs x 20 reps
165lbs x 15 reps
185lbs x 10 reps
195lbs x 10 reps
205lbs x 8 reps

Laying Double Db Tricep Extensions
25lbs Db's x 12 (I was like a turtle on my back)

Seated Double Db Tricep Extensions
25lbs Db's x 10 reps (just not quit the same for me)
25lbs Db's x 8 reps

Cable, EZ Bar Under-Grip Tri Extensions
100lbs x 15 reps
110lbs x 12 reps
120lbs x 10 reps
130lbs x 8 reps (I could have hit 10, but I felt it in my lower back, I guess I started tugging a little bit)

Vertical Dips (no slant to exclude chest over-compensation)
BW x 12 reps
BW x 12 reps
BW x 12 reps
BW x 8 reps
BW x 10 reps

Last edited:
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 2 (PM Session) Special Olympics Cardio

3 miles; 12 laps around the track fast walking

I'm not able to jog yet at this point, although I was tempted to like crazy. The monotony of walking 12 laps is murderous. I did make an actual attempt to jog somewhere around lap 8, but about 2-3 steps in, I knew it was a bad idea.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 3 (AM Session)

Day 3

Back

Bent Over Rows - I’m just kidding

Judging by my workout today, you might think I’m either obsessed with lat pull downs, or I’m clueless on proper back development . Neither is the case. I’m avoiding all horizontal resistance exercises for now, because horizontal exercises usually requires some form of back extension either to get into the starting position or the exercise requires some form of back lean at the beginning of each movement. Therefore, I’m avoiding any potential injurious movements. I kept my exercises to all vertical resistance movements with absolutely zero cheat on the pull down, no tugs, no jerks, no leaning back. I have no choice really or my back will give me the middle finger.

Lat Pull Downs - Wide Grip
210lbs x 15 reps
230lbs x 12 reps
250lbs x 10 reps
260lbs x 8 reps
260lbs x 8 reps

Lat Pull Downs - Close, Neutral Grip
190lbs x 12 reps
210lbs x 10 reps
220lbs x 10 reps
230lbs x 8 reps
240lbs x 8 reps

Lat Pull Downs - Behind The Neck
150lbs x 15 reps
170lbs x 12 reps
190lbs x 10 reps
200lbs x 10 reps
210lbs x 8 reps

If I were healthy, I would have moved on to perhaps two other horizontal resistance exercises, but since I’m in Windows Safety Mode for my current workouts, I want to keep it simple, but effective. Trust me, I’m not slouching, I gave 100% of what I’m currently able to give.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think that with an injury like yours, you would not want to run a cortisol control supplement and a pro-inflammatory (AA). That may exacerbate the injury and prolong your recovery.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think that with an injury like yours, you would not want to run a cortisol control supplement and a pro-inflammatory (AA). That may exacerbate the injury and prolong your recovery.
I am taking a maximal serving of the cortisol supp, but I'm not running a full dose of AA. The inflammation surrounding my intervertebral disc that was preventing me from walking doesn't seem to be a debilitating problem anymore. It's just incredibly guarded and I can tell I need to be sensitive with it. No holding heavy weights, no holding uneven weights. If I carry a dime in my right hand, I have to carry one on my left to keep balance. I can feel it if one side of my lumbar is bearing a greater load then the other.

In short, no, I'm not worried at the moment. However, if my ability to walk begins to regress, then I'll cut the AA and Cortisol out if need be.

My lumbar can handle the day to day load of walking pretty well at the moment. I can even bend over enough to put on a pair of socks now. I don't see inflammation being a problem unless I directly stimulate the area with back extensions/hypers of sorts, which I don't intend on doing (anytime soon).

Last edited:
LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
amazing log so far, way to push yourself man. thats dedication. Your still staying smart by being very cautious and so far ur doing well, i think this will help you recover faster as well. great lifts with an injured spine, my god. hah keep it up!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am taking a maximal serving of the cortisol supp, but I'm not running a full dose of AA. The inflammation surrounding my intervertebral disc that was preventing me from walking doesn't seem to be a debilitating problem anymore. It's just incredibly guarded and I can tell I need to be sensitive with it. No holding heavy weights, no holding uneven weights. If I carry a dime in my right hand, I have to carry one on my left to keep balance. I can feel it if one side of my lumbar is bearing a greater load then the other.

In short, no, I'm not worried the moment. However, if my ability to walk begins to regress, then I'll cut the AA and Cortisol out if need be.

My lumbar can handle the day to day load of walking pretty well at the moment. I can even bend over enough to put on a pair of socks now. I don't see inflammation being a problem unless I directly stimulate the area with back extensions/hypers of sorts, which I don't intend on doing (anytime soon).
I understand the precautions, but I would think that a large dose of fish oil and cissus would be better options, albeit less body comp friendly. When I hurt my hammys and my fibula, the main reason it took me so long to recover was the AA I was taking. It just seems a little odd that you would risk re-injuring an area that can become chronically inflamed if not treated properly.

That being said, I wish you a speedy and easy recovery. I know how much the injury bug hurts.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand the precautions, but I would think that a large dose of fish oil and cissus would be better options, albeit less body comp friendly. When I hurt my hammys and my fibula, the main reason it took me so long to recover was the AA I was taking. It just seems a little odd that you would risk re-injuring an area that can become chronically inflamed if not treated properly.

That being said, I wish you a speedy and easy recovery. I know how much the injury bug hurts.
Gracias and I appreciate the experience-related heads up on the AA/delayed recovery. Once my 4 weeks of 3-AD is up (as well my AA will be up too), I'll increase my fish oils heavily. I'm in no shortage of Fish Oils, I bought the bulk NP Fish Oils a few months back and I still have plenty.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ill follow this. good luck Volcom!

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck volcom. Just be smart and keep doing what your doing. So much dedication in this log.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Im in... Lucky for me I got an OFFICIAL VIP invite from Volcom himself... Looking forward to a great log!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 3 (PM Session)

Stairclimber, level 7 for 15 min.

(I'm still struggling with this lack of ability. Just a week and a half ago, I averaged 45 min, up to 60 min on the stairclimber or stairstepper, and now I'm gassing by 13 min due to whatever my body is doing to flex, tense up, support, hold and guard my lower back.)

Treadmill, incline level 10, intensity level 2.5; 15 min uphill walk.

(I don't ever use the treadmill. If I run, I run outside or do HIIT, other then that I do stairs. However, my injury relegates me to senior citizen cardio and I did what I can to increase the difficulty by increasing the inclination)

I went to the Chiro again today. Treatments going well, I feel a little better each time. I can't handle bending over too well still, but I can walk pretty well. I'm thankful for that much.

Last edited:
Norwegian

Norwegian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Volcom, I truly admire your guts and your integrity, and I'll be a keen follower of your log !

Best of luck !!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom, I truly admire your guts and your integrity, and I'll be a keen follower of your log !

Best of luck !!
Thanks man. Good to see you here.

I have to tell you, it's strange to be this regressed in my cardio level, but I'll fight my way back up. I was able to walk down my apartment stairs without using the hand rails today and that was a pretty big deal. I have to remind myself what a blessing it is just to be able to walk pain free. Last week was.... ridiculous.

Heck, getting in & out of a chair in one try, taking less then a minute to get in or out my car, rolling over in bed without it hurting like crazy, life sucks when everything hurts all the time, but I'm doing a lot better now.

My cardio level sucks, but I'm honestly glad I'm able to do it at all, I didn't think I would be able to for awhile.

Last edited:
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 4: Lift Only

CHEST

SAFETY FEATURES
* I was with two other workout partners, so I never had to load any weights, nor did I do any spotting.
* I avoided any incline movements to avoid any potential load going to my lumbar.
* No Dumbbells
* Wore my double reinforced lumbar support belt and tightly wrapped my lifting belt around that.

FLAT BENCH
225lbs x 14 reps
235lbs x 12 reps
255lbs x 8 reps
275lbs x 6 reps (I went for gold, but didn't quite hit my desired rep range [8 reps])

HAMMER DECLINE PRESS
270lbs x 15 reps
290lbs x 12 reps
320lbs x 11 reps
360lbs x 9 reps
360lbs x 8 reps

DIPS
BW x 19 reps
BW x 12 reps
BW x 12 reps
BW x 10 reps

Machine Flies
160lbs x 15 reps
175lbs x 12 reps
190lbs x 10 reps
190lbs x 10 reps
220lbs x 8 reps

I felt pretty good today. Getting up and down on the bench wasn't so bad, not like it was just a couple days ago. The inflammation surrounding my L2 intervertebral disc seems to have gone down drastically. I'm still doing Chiro and its working out great.

My partner and I were almost completely equal in strength when I was 230lbs and he was about 230-235lbs. At 212lbs I have a stronger bench still, but he was much stronger in every other exercise throughout the rest of our workout. I had AP/Pslin with plenty of pre-workout carbs today and I didn't hit any cardio, so I have no excuses. Sometimes I can legitimately trace a sub par performance in strength to lack of carbs in conjunction with excess cardio, but not today.

My workout partner Zack just got first place in the open weight class at a BJJ tourney last night, I just thought I'd throw those props out (and he still kicked @$$ in the gym today).

Anyway, Chest day was a success. I probably won't have anything to report on regarding the effects of my stack until next week. Right now I just have all the lethargy and non of the benefits (yet), but I'm looking forward to them.

I don't believe I am lifting at my strength potential yet. My muscle endurance and lactate threshold are have not caught up to my strength. I've been lifting in the 4-8, heavy load rep range for the past 3 months, and true to that muscle adaption, my lifts seem pretty easy up until 8-9 reps, then it's like pushing against a wall. Also, hitting the 12-15 rep range really throws my muscles into shock and exponentially effects muscle fatigue. In about another week or so my strength should take a large jump within this current rep range. My hopes is that when this jump (adaption) occurs, the 3-AD, MassFX, X-factor will be there to give it an extra kick in the @$$.

Last edited:
boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
hmmm nice log set up nonethess volcom interested to see the results with this stack!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
X-factor & Inflammation?

Day 5

I was planning on hitting bi's this morning, but my left wrist is a bit inflammed. I haven't had any inflammation in my left wrist in maybe a year and a half (I had some serious ones in the past). This is why I don't do straight bar, supinated curls.

I felt my left wrist being aggravated last night from the Decline Hammers, which is out of the ordinary and this morning my left wrist feels really tight and inflammed enough to make me not want to aggravate it. Rodja made a point about the Archodonic Acid in X-factor being a proponent of inflammation, so whether the AA is aggravating it or I don't know, I may either let this be my first rest day or just do some cardio later (senior citizen cardio).

This weekend I may attempt to jog on some grass with my lumbar support and lifting belt on. We'll see...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 5

I was planning on hitting bi's this morning, but my left wrist is a bit inflammed. I haven't had any inflammation in my left wrist in maybe a year and a half (I had some serious ones in the past). This is why I don't do straight bar, supinated curls.

I felt my left wrist being aggravated last night from the Decline Hammers, which is out of the ordinary and this morning my left wrist feels really tight and inflammed enough to make me not want to aggravate it. Rodja made a point about the Archodonic Acid in X-factor being a proponent of inflammation, so whether the AA is aggravating it or I don't know, I may either let this be my first rest day or just do some cardio later (senior citizen cardio).

This weekend I may attempt to jog on some grass with my lumbar support and lifting belt on. We'll see...
I don't think the AA has had enough time to build up in your system to cause a reaction such as this. Do you play guitar or anything else that puts stress on the carpal/metacarpal area?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Love the log Volcom! Very detailed. You sir are very dedicated.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the "VIP Invite"! I would have missed this completely. Your determination is stuff of legend! I wish you speedy recovery and the strength to pull this through. If you can think it, you can do it!...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think the AA has had enough time to build up in your system to cause a reaction such as this. Do you play guitar or anything else that puts stress on the carpal/metacarpal area?
No, years ago I hurt my left wrist doing straight bar curls. My supinated, outside rotation ROM is naturally very restricted. I probably shouldn't have been doing anything beyond the ROM demand of an EZ curl, but being young and not knowing any better (plus who doesn't do straight bar curls as a beginner) I kept at doing straight bar curls until one day, the forced ROM pressure accumulated beyond a certain threshold and I couldn't drive, hold cups or open doors with my left hand, due to the pain it would cause in my wrist. I avoided any curls for months and when I did return to doing curls, I stuck only with hammers, reverse and EZ bars. I do have a predisposition for injury in my left wrist, but I didn't do anything that should have aggravated it last night. Pushing motions don't aggravate my wrist at all, nor does 80lbs Db Hammer Curls, only in supination do I have a problem and its an ROM issue.

I can't tell what could have physically caused it last night. I did feel it being aggravated on the Hammer Decline Press, but thats very out of the ordinary. I suppose I could technically trace it back to the Decline Hammers, but that would be a first.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the "VIP Invite"! I would have missed this completely. Your determination is stuff of legend! I wish you speedy recovery and the strength to pull this through. If you can think it, you can do it!...
No log is complete without the watchful eye of The Oracle :thumbsup:

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the invite as well!

I appreciate the heads up VIP invite as well bud. Your logs are a joy to follow and by all means your a machine when it comes to how hard you work and the numbers you put out.

Cheers Bud! :cheers:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always appreciate the kind words of encouragement, bud.

LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
great chest workout man, keep on pushin' sounds like ur improving every day

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
great chest workout man, keep on pushin' sounds like ur improving every day

Thanks, I'm feeling better all the time. I'm finding I can do more and more stuff with much, MUCH less pain, and that's a blessing.

You pretty yacked in your avi there bro.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oooh.....ain't this just lookin spiffy?!?! :lol:

GREAT lookin log, man!! The attention to detail is awesome. I wish you best of luck with the "rehab". You know your limits, and you know where you're going. And of course, you know I got yer back if ya need any help from my end!!

Hit it hard, bro. I'll be checkin in!!! :cheers:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 6 Cardio Only

I opted out from doing my scheduled Bi's workout due to a mysterious inflammation in my left wrist, so if you see me doing an unbalanced amount of neutral grip curls, it's because that's how I've dealt with this wrist in the past, not because I'm retarded. I might be handicapped, but not retarded.

Halfway Respectable Cardio

Stairstepper for 30 min on intensity 6.

I doubled my time since my last enduring attempt at this. It's not great, but I'm climbing my way back up the cardio ladder. I think the more able I am to take regular strides, and not forced to over-compensate with my upper body, I'll start to see my way back to where I was cardio-performance wise.

Last edited:
metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice goin Volcom! Your dedication is inspirational! :high five:

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
A slipped disc would've taken me out, especially to the degree that you've described. That'd be it for a while. Game over. Done Deal. Props for fighting through it man, and good luck with the cycle. As always, your weights are astronomical, let alone at 212 lbs.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A slipped disc would've taken me out, especially to the degree that you've described. That'd be it for a while. Game over. Done Deal. Props for fighting through it man, and good luck with the cycle. As always, your weights are astronomical, let alone at 212 lbs.
Thanks, but to not give me too much credit. It's a re-injury/re-aggravation of my previous slip disc. My original fresh slip disc had me out for much longer, I think at least a month or so, but I appreciate the encouragement nonetheless.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom dont discredit yourself man! You know you are special..teehee (no homo). Seriously tho man You are really doin a great job keep it up!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 7 Awesome

I had a really, REALLY hard time waking up this morning. It could've been the resulting effects of my stack or could have been a dire need for rest, but I only performed some moderate cardio yesterday so I don't think I'm in dire need of any rest yet.

I considered letting today be a rest day, but I kept getting inspired and motivated to hit the gym tonight, so I did.

Bi's, with a heavy emphasis on brachioradialus and forearm extensor(s).

I made my way to the free weights today. I thought I felt okay enough to hit free weighs on a bi's day.

[Safety Precautions]
* Wore my double reinforced lumbar support belt, along with my lifting belt around that.
* All curling movements were done with a dead cold stiffness of my body. No knee bounces, no dropping into the curl, no upward jerking (not that I ever jerk anyway), leaning or general back extending momentum.
* No bending over to pick up weights, everything I grabbed from the ground was done with a box lifter form; all legs, no back.

Dumbbell Hammer Curls
40lbs Db's x 15 reps
45lbs Db's x 15 reps
50lbs Db's x 12 reps
55lbs Db's x 8 reps
60lbs Db's x 8 reps

Preacher, EZ Bar Reverse Curls
55lbs x 10 reps
55lbs x 10 reps
60lbs x 8 reps
65lbs x 8 reps

Hammer Cross-Body Curls
35lbs Db's x 15 reps [I was lifting with my shoulders too much]

Preacher, Hammer Cross Body Curls
35lbs x 10 reps
35lbs x 8 reps
35lbs x 8 reps
40lbs x 8 reps

Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curls
35lbs Db's x 25 reps
40lbs Db's x 20 reps
45lbs Db's x 20 reps
50lbs Db's x 15 reps

Machine, Preacher, One Arm Hammer Curls
30lbs x 15 reps each arm
40lbs x 12 reps each arm
50lbs x 10 reps each arm

Today "may" have been my first notable experience with the effects of my stack. My general muscle endurance was higher. My muscle endurance wasn't higher within the set, I didn't feel my repetitions were getting any extraordinary boost, but I felt muscle endurance from set to set, and I felt the muscle energy & confidence to continually increase the weight even when I thought I should have stayed (and successfully reached volume protocol). I did not take any pre-workout carbs, which assumes no AP intake and I actually only had maybe 20 carbs this entire day. Yesterday was a bit of a high day so today I brought it down. I do hav AP/Pslin to buffer my carbs, but I still cycle it high-low.

Junglewarfare took about 7-10 days before I saw any notable effects, so I'm projecting the same durational expectations.

Overall, today was a success. I didn't feel like a Special Olympics Bodybuilder. Although I'm not 100%, it was nice to have a respectable workout. It makes me hopeful about the coming days and weeks.

I attempted to jog today, and rather then noticing my limitations at 2-3 steps in, I felt it around steps 5-6, so, no HIIT yet (or any form of running and jogging).

Thanks for all the encouragement and support guys.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 8; Very Satisfying

Pre-Workout Cardio: 25 min, Stairstepper, at level 7.
(slowly, but surely edging my way upward)

I quasi-tested the stability of my lower back today. I didn't do anything too crazy. I started my back workout with seated shrugs and I was very satisfied with my progress.

BACK

SEATED SHRUGS
180lbs x 25 reps
230lbs x 20 reps
270lbs x 20 reps
320lbs x 15 reps
340lbs x 12 reps
360lbs x 12 reps
380lbs x 12 reps
410lbs x 10 reps
440lbs x 8 reps

Hammer Strength High Rows
200lbs x 15 reps
220lbs x 12 reps
240lbs x 10 reps
260lbs x 8 reps

Pull Ups - Underhand Grip
BW x 10 reps
BW x 10 reps
BW x 10 reps
BW x 8 reps

Hammer Wide Neutral Grip Rows
180lbs x 12 reps
200lbs x 12 reps
220lbs x 8 reps

Lat Pull Downs
130lbs x 15 reps
145lbs x 14 reps
160lbs x 12 reps
175lbs x 10 reps

Overall, great back workout. I didn't feel like I was pulling arbitrary reps with too light of a load, but I never used any weight where I was forced to lean, jerk or sway (for the safety of my back). I was thrilled that I was able to at least perform seated shrugs. I did make an attempt at Smith Barbell Shrugs, but 2 reps into it I could tell my back wasn't too hot on the idea, but that's alright. As long as I'm progressing forward I'm happy and I'm grateful my traps will be able to participate in reaping the benefits of my current stack.

Speaking of my stack, my biggest "notable" increase in strength were my pull ups. I really suck at them and I don't normally hit 10 across 3 sets. I know it sounds lame, but I just can't do pull ups. I can Dead lift over 500lbs, do multiple sets of Rows with 405lbs, my back is by far my strongest body part, yet my pull ups are barely average at best. Go figure.

I feel good, Incline Chest/Shoulders Tomorrow.

My Chest Split is a bit different then most. I hit Flat/Decline Chest on Tuesday, and all Incline/Shoulders on Saturdays. I really like targetting my incline with special attention.

P.S. Zerio DOMS in my traps. I'm sure its a testiment to the recoverability of my stack. They "SHOULD" be sore since I haven't targetted them like this since a week before my injury (Maybe 3 weeks or more ago).

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lookin good man. I love to train just upper chest with shoulders. Meaaan upper body pump.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome, Volcom! I am sure your log(s) inspire(s) a lot of others. :thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 9; 3rd Homerun workout in a row

I mentioned that today was suppose to be incline chest and shoulders day. I also mentioned I had zero DOMS in my traps from last nights back workout, which I still don't, but two reps into a seated side lateral, I knew it wasn't a good idea to continue, so I went with Incline Chest and Tri's this morning and again, I'm seem to be moving not one step, but two to three steps closer to homeostasis with each day.

I can't say with any confidence or any knowledgeable insight about the relation of my stack and my expedient recovery, but I'm not complaining.

CHEST

Incline, Smith Press
185lbs x 20 reps
205lbs x 15 reps
225lbs x 10 reps
235lbs x 8 reps
245lbs x 8 reps

Incline Hammer Press
140lbs x 20 reps
160lbs x 20 reps
180lbs x 16 reps
200lbs x 12 reps
220lbs x 10 reps

Incline Wide Neutral Grip Machine Press
155lbs x 15 reps
170lbs x 15 reps
185lbs x 12 reps
200lbs x 10 reps
215lbs x 8 reps

Machine Flies
160lbs x 20 reps
175lbs x 15 reps
190lbs x 10 reps
205lbs x 10 reps
220lbs x 8 reps

TRI'S

Machine, Overhead Triceps Extensions, Neutral Grip
60lbs x 20 reps
70lbs x 16 reps
90lbs x 12 reps
100lbs x 10 reps

Cable, Seated Overhead Triceps Extensions, Underhand Grip
60lbs x 15 reps
70lbs x 15 reps
80lbs x 15 reps
100lbs x 11 reps

I don't normally mention this, but this is a glimps into my post-workout, dosing/meal schedule.

Immediately post workout:
2 caps DCP
1 cap Lean Xtreme
1 cap Anabolic Pump
1 cap Pslin
1 serving Creatine

Post-Workout Meal:
Today I had a "Naked Burrito" rice, black beans, cheese, corn, steak, hot sauce, guacamole. Basically a Chipotle Burrito with no tortilla. A grip of green tabasco sauce, I love my food spicy.

Post Meal:
2 caps 3-AD
2 caps MassFX
1 cap X-factor

I'll probably have to take my 3rd dose with a serving of peanuts in the middle of tonights UFC Fight (Go BJ Penn), because I woke up late this morning.

Supps Mentionables
When I originally consulted AX reps about my stack (the first time around), I was advised to leave the X-factor out for the sake of preventing diluted benefits. Meaning, which supplement is doing what? How can I attribute which gains to which supplement. Everything I'm taking now, minus any of the AX products, I've taken in the past, either as a stand alone or part of a stack, X-factor included, so I have a good idea of what kind of results each supplement has given me previously (many times over). Therefore, anything above & beyond my expectancy or extraordinarily notable, I may be able to discern whether it is an attribute of my AX family products or not. Of course we could argue an infinite number of mediating variables which I'm sure Rodja could point out (as could I), because he's smart like that, but for the sake of simplicity, just trust me.

Muscle Strength: My strength is closure to my 230lbs workout partner then it was last week (I'm currently 212), but he is still notably stronger then I am (we were equal in strength when we were equal in weight). I'll measure the effectiveness of my stack by my strength comparison to my currently, stronger workout partner. I know that isn't exactly a scientifically, quadruple blind laboratory test, but this is what it is.

Muscle Endurance: My muscle endurance has increased dramatically, but this is about the time frame of when my body's natural muscle endurance adaption(s) should be taking place, so I can't speak on it just yet. However, from set to set I do feel plenty energized. (Unlike Junglewarfare when I practically had to power nap between sets just to go on).

Weight Gain: Have not checked since I first weighed myself the day I returned to working out 7 days ago. My macro's have not fluctuated. I am eating more carbs now, but the bulk of my carb intake is immediately post workout and with AP/Pslin. My fats are definitely up due the fat requirements of 3-AD, and I've been intentionally ingesting a higher amount of protein. In all honesty I'm probably averaging 500 more kcals in my diet then I was when I was cut focused, but my cardio is pathetic right now compared to my previous 900kcals burned on cardio alone (lifting not included) average before (not to mention the benefits of HIIT) so... I'll weight myself tomorrow morning. I don't feel any fatter, my traps are a bit more prominent and my forearms have a more dynamic surface, which for me, is normally a sign of leaning. We'll see.

I really ought to offer myself an official no cardio, no lift rest day soon.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First Official Rest Day

I weiged myself this morning and I was 211lbs :dance: My sodium intake has been out of control and I haven't done cardio in a couple days, so I'm confident it's not doing to being too dry. I wasn't expecting any weight loss. I braced myself for some unwanted weight gain due to my increased caloric intake and lack of cardio. I'm still eating clean as can be, just more of it then I was previously.

My muscle endurance is unquestionablly up, mean strength is hard to measure, but I'll do a comparison on my next flat/decline chest day. All is good in cycle land.

P.S. I have to force myself to rest today. I'm just generally angry, easily irritable, slightly depressed and very lethargic (not lethargic enough to not workout), but my mood is uncharacterisically bad, so I believe I'm in serious need of some rest. This is day 10 and my first rest day.