Is that Powerlifting getting Ripped!? – My death by Details Recreate Log

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
EDIT: Is that Powerlifter getting Ripped?

First off let me state I am sponsored and doing a log. However I value my integrity far more than a sponsorship and anyone that has spent time in my logs knows I will provide unbiased input. In addition I have set this log up to collect and graphically represent my changes, whatever they may be. The timing of the release of this product couldn’t be better in regards to some personal goals and I’m looking forward to putting it to the test and seeing what it has to offer (and I was not asked to do this log). So on to the log!

Well, I’m about to embark on a journey that I rarely travel. That is weight loss. Not that I don’t feel competent in my diet and nutrition knowledge to accomplish those goals but due to the negative impact on leverages and resulting decrease in performance on some lifts. This obviously isn’t desirable as a powerlifter.

However, I have decided its time to bet leaner for health and appearance reasons. At the same time from a training standpoint I will be focusing on my Deadlift and Bench as both can increase due to weight loss (greater arch flexibility on bench, and leverages on Deadlift). Although I will be focusing on those for the training portion of my log, this will not be one of my typical training logs. I keep a detailed Video log in the training section.

This log will focus on the diet, supplementation, and body composition goals. For this reason I feel that it is only necessary to update this log once per week with new measurements, and pictures. Although it will only be updated weekly it will be quite detailed.

My Goal is to lose 20lbs of BF in 12 weeks.

Supplements to facilitate weight loss
Recreate (4x/day)
Bolic (3x/day)

Other Supplements in my Regimen
BCAA’s (60-80g/day)
Anabolic Pump (3x)
Pslin (1x)
NOS Ether (5scoops)
Super Cissus (3x+)
Powerfull (8x)
Ester C (1.5g)
Multi (2x)
NAC (1g)
Fish Oil (12g)
Vit D (1g)

Diet
I won’t lay out a specific diet plan that I will follow every day. I eat a clean unprocessed organic diet with all my protein (250g+/day not to mention 80g BCAA’s) from foods with a few cheat meals during the week. averaging about 5k in calories/day wit. My plan is simple. Which is to cut out most of my grains and only have 3 carb sources a day (just enough for Pslin and AP), and up my good fat intake. I will also be dropping back my dairy. With the drop in Dairy and grains I may be adding some protein supplementation in to compensate for the loss in protein.
Here is a very rough outline what a typical day may look like:
6:15am AP and 20g BCAA’s
6:30am 30g carbs from freshly made veg and/or fruit juice (changes daily)
7:00am 8oz lean meet and walnuts
9:00am 1c nonfat cottage cheese and walnuts
12:00am 1.5 chicken breast, Kale, peanut butter
3:00pm Pslin and 20g BCAA’s
3:15pm 2-3 slices organic sprouted wheat bread +30-60g WMS + Protein Shake
Train
6:45pm AP and 20g BCAA’s
7:00pm 30-60g WMS +protein shake
7:45pm 10oz steak and Salad
9:30pm 20g BCAA’s

Carb loading 1-2x per week. Will likely have to add some more cals into the above example not to lose weight too quickly.

In addition to pictures I will be capturing data on a weekly basis as shown below. The data loaded below just make believe to put some sample lines on the chart. The BW graph is real data and is my morning BW (about 4lbs lighter than my weight during day) by week over the majority of this last year. It is taken be averaging my daily morning BW for each day of the week.

This Log will start within about a week. I will load all the current measurements into the Week 0 slot and take some pictures. The one in my avatar is at my current weight.

Oh yeah, here is a rough outline of my training plan. This is also a drop from my normal 4x a week routine to a 3x a week routine with the addition of more sled work. Will likely be doing more than what is listed to facilitate fat loss.

Last edited:
pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Subbed, Good Luck

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of the hardest Titles Ive ever had to read:lol:Good luck with this. I will be following. I cant wait to try this for myself.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
One of the hardest Titles Ive ever had to read:lol:Good luck with this. I will be following. I cant wait to try this for myself.
LOL. just read it. wish I could edit it.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL. just read it. wish I could edit it.
NO NO NO LEAVE IT! It catches the peoples attention and then they're like "wtf does this say..oh i gotta see this now!"

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Loving the graphs. If you can get down to a 33inch wasit ill be very hapy for you cos our guts are about teh same size now and i need to know it can be done haha.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Loving the graphs. If you can get down to a 33inch wasit ill be very hapy for you cos our guts are about teh same size now and i need to know it can be done haha.
LOl. I have not seen that size since I was a 170lb HS kid. doubt I'll see that in 12 weeks, but i would like to see a good drop in my waist size. Even though my abs are visible when i flex them I have a large waist probably due to a lot of internal BF. For health reasons I would like to see that drop significantly but 33:hammer:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:cool: subd

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Interesting lay out. Will be following this for sure (very intrigued by potential strength retention and muscle retention since I know you will be hawk eying that throughout.) Have you ever done lower carb days in the past?

DrakeC

DrakeC

Awards
Nice writeup man, looking forward to following your progress.

Good luck!

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Interesting lay out. Will be following this for sure (very intrigued by potential strength retention and muscle retention since I know you will be hawk eying that throughout.) Have you ever done lower carb days in the past?
pretty minimal exp as I love the high carbs for the intense training sessions. Yes I will watch strength retention very closely.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Integrity? Kabuki send me some fairly compromising photos to get our sponsorship!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
pretty minimal exp as I love the high carbs for the intense training sessions. Yes I will watch strength retention very closely.
I hear that. Best of luck with this bro.

Mullet ~ and you gladly accepted didn't you! I mean you had to send them to J to get the rep spot right, so it was time you got something? :lol:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Definately in this one.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
subbed, have similar goals myself once summer rolls around, would like to drop from 238 to under 220.

what do you use for BCAAs, 80g's daily is a lot of xtend...

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
bulk BCAA's in the 2:1:1 ratio. I buy by the Kilo from NutraPlanet.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
You need a weekly caloric deficet of 5250 calories to lose 1.5 lb's of fat a week... if they were all coming from fat. Probably closer to 7k realistically to get 1.5 lb's of fat loss a week. That about 1000 calories a day deficet.

What's your daily maintenance? I'd take that and subtract 1000 from it and eat that many cals a day.

Although you probably have this figured out and dialed in by now... just didn't see it in there.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is looking good, I will be checking this out

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
my maintenance levels are just over 5000. I actually lose weight quite due to my high maintenance level, if i back off at all the weight starts stripping off.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Starting measurements were taken mid last week. Mind you my weight has dropped several pounds since then. I’m expecting that is from not training and I’ll bump up a few lbs again once I start lifting again (today) and especially after starting to squat again.

Starting pics will be taken tonight.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subscribbed. Thats a lot of Bcaa's. I'm guessing you believe in them.

I'll be tuned in

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Subscribbed. Thats a lot of Bcaa's. I'm guessing you believe in them.

I'll be tuned in
I usually take 80g on training days and 60g on non training days. Recovery is fantastic. The Leucine at the higher dose aslo has a positive impact on the effectiveness of the Anabolic Pump and Pslin, when taken with the correct timeing...at lease that's what Mullet tells me. :)

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Here are some pictures that a lot less flattering than the one in my avatar. I don’t know anything about lighting, posing, and obviously tanning.

I also don’t buy that 15.5% BF shown above but it will show a change none the less. I figure in actuality it must be 18-20%.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
here a more flattering pic :)

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Bodyfat measurements on chart are likely not accurate due to high amount of internal gut fat I hold. I’m estimating my true bodyfat to be about 7% higher than what is listed. I will continue to track the skinfold tests but since my BF is actually higher it will throw off the lean mass calcs and charting will incorrectly show more lean mass loss than there will be (if there is any).

Training Updates:
Started training again this week. Will be focusing more on volume to help lubricate my joints again as well as allow time for recovery as I have a few injuries to work through. Completed all 3 workout sessions this week.

On my non training days I completed 3 sessions of 10+min each sled pulling with 135lbs. Also completed 2 of my 3 non training day workouts which consist of quick workout with bands and 4-5 sets each of curls and abs.

With my sled pulling I’m running an experiment at work and I did a write up on sled pulling and General Physical Preparedness (GPP) and posted it on the company webpage. Had a significant level of interest in the first week and have a decent sized group at my facility. This week I have to go over to our other facility and drop off a couple sleds, straps, and weights and do some training sessions with a group over there that wants to start. I’ve got (3) three 300lb guys on my team doing it regularly now on lunch break along with a couple of the female office staff.

Specific Weight Loss Supplementation Updates:

Bolic @ 3x day
Diesel Fuel @ occasionally to keep energy levels up.
No Recreate usage yet.

Diet:
Been slowly workout out the carbs this last week. This weekend I was down to 20g carbs 2x/day. With anabolic Pump taken before each of those. I will bump up to a 60g carb meal combined with Pslin prior to my 3 workouts this week.

Updated charts and graphs.

BW this morning was 241.0 lbs.
Waist is down an inch already! And 2mm off my chest caliper measurement.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Good job dude.

As far as your BF%, I think it's lower than you think. You have alot of LBM, and that pretty much dwarfs how much adipose you have, so you probably are around 16-17%, not 20%.

Do you know where I could get a sled? I used to have a sled that I had a welder make for me. I printed a pdf layout of a sled, and he made it for me, but it rusted out a year ago, and I got rid of it. I love GPP, and IMO i think the metabolic boost you get from it is second to none.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Nice update man.

So are you prone to visceral fat because of body issues (insulin resistance, etc.) or another reason (for some reason I always equate visceral fat with just unhealthy habits, but this I know is un true with yourself.)

Also you have used P-slin before right? Have you ever tried it with 60 grams (a lot of people report going hypo that low with P-Slin since 60 is the reccomended for AP and 100+ for P-Slin.)

Down an inch already is impressive man, pumped to see what ReCreate will do for ya (currently running it myself with good results thus far.)

Oh and side question, the sled training stuff are you a trainer/in the fitness world as an occupation. The trial sounds interesting. Are these 300 pound guys animal 300 pounds or a out of shape 300 pounds (some where in between also an option lol). Are you aiming to see if doing this at lunch will accelerate fat loss?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
You can get a sled from elitefts.com

I don’t know why I hold fat in that location. I’m assuming that is what it is. As my stomach is large but abs are still visible. Although I do have a protruding rib cage which gives me a bit of a distended belly look anyway (likely malnutrition as a child).

Actually I work at a manufacturing facility. My background is Engineering and a Masters in Business. I run a Fabrication Business Unit. I just had a couple sleds fabbed up and charged them to the wellness committee since I’m on that as well.

excited to add the recreate to. dumping the easy excess weight right now.

I've used Pslin but not at 60g. I'll find the lowest dose that works without going hypo. typically i've done 90-120.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do you measure your measurements the same time each day(say 5:00 p.m.) each time you measure?

This is my approach to measure: I measure on days that i don't train so I'm not pumped up and at a certain time of the day each time I do measure because usually the body will be around the same rhythm at this time as the other so it's more effective to measure this way than to measure upon awakign one day and going to sleeep the next(extreme example and big differences)

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
do you measure your measurements the same time each day(say 5:00 p.m.) each time you measure?

This is my approach to measure: I measure on days that i don't train so I'm not pumped up and at a certain time of the day each time I do measure because usually the body will be around the same rhythm at this time as the other so it's more effective to measure this way than to measure upon awakign one day and going to sleeep the next(extreme example and big differences)
yes. always taken upon waking. My waist and bodyweight vary greatly during the day as i'm sure my caliper measurements do.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Its on boys and girls!!!

Just received my bottle of Recreate and Y-RD last night. Will be running 3/day of Recreate and probably 1/day of Y-RD. Will be dropping Bolic to 25mg or maybe completely as to minimize the gastro effects of the high amounts of Forslean.

A little vid showing my back at my current BF level. Can’t wait till I get shredded :)

About 55sec in
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGINeRGFfO8"]YouTube - back work 4/30[/ame]

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Damn man you make those chins look easy!!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
And the heavy ass rack pulls.
there are 100lb plates on the rack pulls and deadlifts. I'm actually making the rack pulls harder than normal by using all back and no hips. more of a stiff leg style.

I did bend the **** out of my bar last night. Forgot to use the high strength bar for the rack pulls.

cant do the pullups higher since my nose is touching cieling. First time doing those in a couple years. building a pullup bar outside this weekend.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
there are 100lb plates on the rack pulls and deadlifts. I'm actually making the rack pulls harder than normal by using all back and no hips. more of a stiff leg style.

I don't think I would be able to get out of bed the next morning if I went that heavy stiff legged.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I don't think I would be able to get out of bed the next morning if I went that heavy stiff legged.
i'm doing them this way as a friend of mine that coaches a powerlifting team has had some good success with lockout strenght with his lifters this way. Lockout has been holding me back from a really big pull in competition.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
are you pushing off with your feet for more leverage with the pullups?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
are you pushing off with your feet for more leverage with the pullups?
not at all. i keep the feet of the ground. those were my last two sets.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Specific Weight Loss Supplementation Updates:
Mid last week I started taking Recreate and Y-RD. Y-RD is in the Pure Supplements line (YRD-complex 990mg: Glucoronolactone, Caffeine, Geranium). I’ve dropped the Bolic for the time being and have been taking:
3 Recreate/day
2 Y-RD/day on non training days
1 Y-RD and 2-3 R4W on training days
Will work back into Bolic in the 25-50mg range this week.

My waist made another significant drop which I was quite happy with. Also continuing to loose some fat off my chest, but surprisingly not on my legs yet. Although I was disappointed to look through my records and I had the exact some abdominal measurement in Inches as I did this time last year when I was at the same weight. I sure hope that doesn’t mean I have not put on any muscle mass this last year :( I certainly have gotten stronger.

Weight loss is coming off right on target so far. It shows 4 weeks on the BW chart but that last point is just my weight as of this morning. As you can see on the data chart I’ve decided to only take full tape measurements once per month…same with photographs.

* AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Bodyfat measurements on chart are likely not accurate due to high amount of internal gut fat I hold. I’m estimating my true bodyfat to be about 7% higher than what is listed. I will continue to track the skinfold tests but since my BF is actually higher it will throw off the lean mass calcs and charting will incorrectly show more lean mass loss than there will be (if there is any).

Diet:
20-40g carbs (with AP) on non training days w/0-20g on weekends.
I do take a 100g preworkout on my training days with Pslin and AP.

Blather
On a side note I couldn’t have picked a better time to be jacked up on stimulants. I am on a very tight timeline over the next several months to finish several large projects at home. I spent from waking till bedtime working on the house this weekend and will be working every night this week in the shop on my competition rock buggy. I have to finish both up in next couple months as well as move my training center to the shop once the buggy is finished which means I have to build a secondary storage area for buggy and a lot of the shop tools. Not to mention possibly fabricate a monolift and a couple competition bench’s for a Powerlifting meet I may be putting on this fall. And everything is on a terminal deadline as in if any project doesn’t get finished by this timeline it will likely have to sit for a couple years afterwards. It’s a gettin crazy!

For that reason I can only do my active recovery and sled work 2x a week during my lunch hour and will not be doing my weekend session.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
nice update, good to see things going good

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
thank you C

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established

Dropping according to plan. Dropped another .25 in off waist (was close to measureing another full .5” drop). Also had several people make comments about my face getting thinner. Charts show a drop in muscle mass this week but like I’ve said before I don’t buy it for the following reason:

* AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Bodyfat measurements on chart are likely not accurate due to high amount of internal gut fat I hold. I’m estimating my true bodyfat to be about 7% higher than what is listed. I will continue to track the skinfold tests but since my BF is actually higher it will throw off the lean mass calcs and charting will incorrectly show more lean mass loss than there will be (if there is any).

Blather
Missed one of my workouts last week and one of the remaining two sucked. Did hit the sled 3 times w/ the last one on Saturday being my first HIIT sled pull. It was tough.

Nothing new on diet and supplementation.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On squats do you place the pressure on heels or front feet?

I started to put pressure on front feet, which places more emphasis on the quads; however kills the knees(esp heavy weight)? Im sure you have experience.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
i go with front just naturally but never thought about it... maybe once i increase weight ill start to feel it in the knees...

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
For me I squat with a wide stance. So my focus is on trying to spread the floor apart. If I get to much on my heels I fall over backwards and to much on toes and I’ll lean over to far overtaxing back or drive my knees forward.

so i don't think i've really answered your question.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
You can see the tightening up of my waistline in the pics but that’s probably about it. Any way to take pics so that if your pale your not all washed out in the pics???

Some of my body measurements are getting smaller. This is where I got to not let the head games get to me and realize its just a drop in fat. At least that sure is what I hope.

I’m on my smallest hole I’ve used on my powerlifting belt at the moment!!! I will be exciting to have it even drop smaller than that in the future.

Folks in law were in town this weekend so Sunday I had a few drinks with them and went out to dinner. Jumped up 2lbs by Monday and still have not dropped it off today. :(

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
You're easily down 10 lb's of fat. Nice job. :clap2:

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
thanks man! I get nervous the farther i get into a cut about loosing muscle....head games.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah the stats don't jag you've lost more fat then 5 lbs. You've lost 2 inches around the waist which means closer to 10 lbs fat. No signs of any muscle loss whatsoever. However your measuring your body fat seems inconsistant.