• Poseidon-BA
  • Xtend
  • Orange Triad

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
12 Weeks to Super Strength

If you asked anyone which muscle group was the most popular to train, chances are that the response would be chest. The chest muscles seem to be one of those all-important signs of manhood, kind of like what the mammary glands are to the female gender. And the training time devoted to chest would reflect this popularity. Take an "on-the-spot" survey at any time, in any gym worth being in, and you'll see congestion on the bench press that rivals rush hour on New York City streets!

So, why don't we see more chest development on the average gym junkie? You know, the kind of chest that comes in a door before the body. There might be lots of reasons which we can chew over another time, but I'm going to focus on one:

If you keep approaching the muscle group in the same way, the returns will diminish.

I liken it to beating your head against a brick wall — not a productive activity for most. So I'm going to give you an upper body workout that prioritizes the chest. When I say prioritizes, I mean that I've given specific and primary focus to the chest — without totally neglecting the other muscle groups. Your upper body training will be taken care of for 12 weeks. But don't do this workout for any longer than 12 weeks. It could result in anterior deltoid-dominant related problems around the chest (and if you've already got these, I wouldn't recommend doing this program until you have the problem sorted out).

Remember how I said that maybe one of the reasons why we don't see too many men with a Pamela Lee-like chest (the pre-reduction version) is possibly because most take the same approach all of the time? Bench press first, incline bench second...sound familiar?

So when you get into this program, let me prepare you for the unexpected. You're going to do things that initially make you wonder if I made a typo when I said that this was a chest priority program — like when you notice that I've included bench presses last in the workout!!! Trust me, though. There's a method to my seeming madness.

There are four phases to this program, and you'll do two upper body workouts per week. In this Phase I, the first workout (A) targets triceps, shoulders, and chest, and the second workout (B) targets biceps and back.

Use each phase for about three weeks. The two workouts are aimed to be done on the first and third training days of your program. If you usually do a "four workouts per week" program, you just need to add a lower body program on the second and fourth workouts. If you usually do a "three workouts per week" program, you just need to add a lower body program on the second workout. If you use a "five workouts per week" or five-day rolling program, these workouts will constitute the first and third workouts.

The first phase is aimed at strengthening the muscle groups that contribute in a smaller way to benching, otherwise known as the assistant muscle groups. This is achieved by giving them priority in the sequence, or order, and using pre-fatigue as far as the chest is concerned.

The second phase is aimed at exposing the primary muscle groups to some loading, using a more conventional approach. The third phase goes back to a pre-fatigue sequence that prioritizes the assistant muscle groups, but with a lower degree of pre-fatigue than the first phase. The fourth phase reverts to load exposure and focuses fully on benching, the king of chest exercises. But that's all yet to come, so let's start now with the first phase.

Last edited:
Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
great start! best of luck with this.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Phase I

Phase I (Weeks 1-3) - Workout A

Humility. This word describes what you're going to need in order to do this program. Like I warned you, by the time you get to the bench in this routine, even the bar is going to feel heavy.

Another word that you should become familiar with is sore. Now, that's more comforting, isn't it? (You relate to pain? You really are one sick puppy...just joking, I'd be worried if you didn't!) Go light in the first week and just concentrate on feeling your way through. You'll be surprised at how little a load you'll need in this phase if you do it the right way.

Warm-up: Perform 10 minutes of light aerobics (optional) and 15 minutes of upper body stretching (compulsory).

Forearm extensions with bar: Grab a bar and kneel down in front of a bench. With your wrists supported on the bench and your hands hanging just off the side, begin reverse wrist curls (with the palms facing down).

Forearm flexions with bar: Immediately afterward, taking no rest, do a set of standard wrist curls (curl the bar toward you with palms up). During flexions (standard wrist curls), allow the bar to roll to your fingertips.

Note that extensions will probably require a lighter load. If you feel too much strain on your wrists, try using an EZ-bar. If the lightest bar in the gym causes you to fatigue during the warm-up set, consider that your work set and move on to the next exercise. I like to do extensions first because they're the weaker movement. Use a full range, and terminate the reps if range is lost.

For the following triceps tri-set, you'll be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Overhead dumbbell triceps extensions: These are to be done seated, one arm at a time (weaker triceps first). Keep the elbow as high and as far back as possible at all times (to maximize the stretch on the triceps) with the elbow to the ear. Use a range that results in the dumbbell touching the upper back. Without resting, go to the second movement.

2) Triceps pulldowns: Using the triceps pushdown cable (or lat pulldown) and with the palms facing upward, take a shoulder-width grip. Keep the elbows stationary and glued to the side throughout the lift. Don't rest, and go to the third movement.

3) Dips: At the dip station (the piece of equipment, not where the guys with palm pilots hang out), cross the feet at the ankles. Bend the knees so that the ankles are at or near knee height. Lower your upper body until the shoulders are lower than the elbow joint, or until the biceps come into contact with the forearms (provided that you have no joint or injury conditions to contraindicate this). Keep the body still during the movement so that it's not affected by momentum. Do not lock out fully at the top.

For the following shoulder tri-set, you'll again be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Front dumbbell raises: Grab two dumbbells and let your arms hang down in a neutral position (palms facing the body). Raise the dumbbells to just above shoulder height in front of you, and at this level internally rotate the dumbbells so that the thumbs are now facing downward. Un-rotate them back to neutral, lower them down to just under shoulder height. Pause, then return them back to just above shoulder height and repeat the internal rotation. Lower them back down to your side. This is one rep. Keep the body still during the movement. It's unlikely that you'll need to do a warm-up set, but go light on the first day!

2) Low pulley lateral raises: If you don't have low pulley cables, use dumbbells. Stand with your side facing the weight stack. With the cable passing across the front of your body, raise the cable to the side as per a lateral raise. The top of the range is a point just above parallel, or shoulder height, and in this position I want the palm facing downward. Do seven reps from just below parallel or under shoulder height to just above parallel or above shoulder height. Pause every time you change direction.

Then do seven reps using full range, again pausing every time you change direction, and finish with seven reps from the bottom position in front of your body to just below shoulder height (the bottom of the range of the first seven reps). Again, you probably won't need to do a warm-up set. Don't be surprised if you are, in fact, using only the first plate on the weight stack! (Remember what I said about humility — it will pay off later as you'll ultimately lift impressive loads as a result of this temporary sacrifice of self-esteem!)

3) Behind-the-neck shoulder presses: Now to the squat rack. In a seated position, perform these using a wide grip. The range at the bottom needs to be stressed — touch the base of the neck! But don't lock out at the top. Note the slow speed indicated in the table below. If you do a warm-up set (which I doubt you'll need), use normal speed.

For the following chest tri-set, you'll again be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Incline dumbbell flyes: Using a low angle (30 degrees), go to full range in the bottom position. Keep the elbows slightly bent throughout, but without changing the elbow angle. At the bottom of the movement, pause, return to 1/3 of the way up, pause, lower back down to the bottom again, pause, and then all the way up. This is one rep.

2) Decline dumbbell presses: Place the decline at a low angle (again at about 30 degrees). Hold the dumbbells with the palms facing in and make sure to use a full stretch. The first seven reps should be done from this fully stretched bottom position up to 1/3 of the movement of the full range of motion. The next seven reps are to be done using full range, and the last seven reps using the top 1/3 of the movement. Remember to pause every time you change direction.

3) Bench presses: At last, but don't load it up too much! Take a wide grip (outside the lines of the Olympic bar, if possible). Raise your feet up in the air, bend your knees, and cross your feet. Lower the bar to the top of your sternum or neck. Don't lock out fully at the top, and note the slow speeds below. Also, don't expect to use a normal breathing pattern during lifts this slow. Instead, breath often using shallow breaths.

Notes:Remember my load selection recommendations to start out light enough in the first week to see load increases each subsequent week, and avoid going to total muscle failure in all but the last week on this phase.

Phase I (Weeks 1-3) - Workout B

Warm-up: Perform 10 minutes of light aerobics (optional) and 15 minutes of upper body stretching (compulsory).

Forearm extensions with dumbbells: Perform these as per the Workout A day, but this time using dumbbells instead of the bar. Note the slower speeds and the lower reps indicated in the table below.

Forearm flexions with dumbbells:
Perform these as per the Workout A day, but this time using dumbbells instead of the bar. Note the slower speeds and the lower reps indicated in the workout summary below.

For the following biceps tri-set, you'll be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Seated dumbbell curls and twists: Sit on the end of a prone bench with the dumbbells hanging straight down and the palms facing inward (neutral grip). As you lift the dumbbells, rotate them outward so that, at the top, the thumb end of the grip is as externally rotated as it can be without forcing your elbows to leave your sides. Reverse the movement when lowering the dumbbells.

2) Incline dumbbell curls: Go straight to an incline bench with approximately a 45-degree incline. The elbows should remain behind the body and glued to your sides throughout the movement. The palms should remain supine, or facing upward. Perform seven reps in the top half of the movement first, pausing every time you change direction. Then do seven reps full range, and finish with seven reps of the bottom half of the movement.

3) EZ-bar preacher curls: Now take the EZ-bar and sit on the preacher bench, using a palms-down (prone), medium-width grip. Place the full length of the upper arm against the preacher bench, with your armpits pushed into the top of the pad. If the bench is adjustable, use a 45-degree angle. Do a full stretch, but don't come up to a point where the load or tension is reduced. Note the controlled speed of movement on all of the above.

For the rows tri-set, you'll again be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Prone dumbbell flyes: Lie face down on a bench. Keep the elbows only slightly bent and at a constant angle throughout. Raise the arms up to the side, keeping them at approximately 90 degrees to the body. Pause at the top. Lower the dumbbells down 1/3 of the way, pause, and then return them to the top of the movement. Pause here, and then lower all the way down. This is one rep. Do not rest the hands on the floor between reps, and minimize the upper trap involvement.

2) Prone dumbbell rows: Now lie face down on a bench, preferably an elevated one. With your palms facing inward (neutral grip), raise the dumbbells as high as you can to the side of your body, again minimizing upper trap involvement. The first seven reps are to be done through the top half of the range only. The next seven are full range. And the last seven are to be done through the bottom half of the range (halfway down to full stretch). Focus on squeezing the shoulder blades together at the top.

3) Seated rows: Using a wide grip, pull the bar to the middle of the trunk. If you feel any upper trap involvement (e.g. shoulders lifting) during this movement, either reduce the width of the grip, lower the point on the body that you're pulling in to, or both. Note the slow speed below. Use a full stretch at the bottom position without any trunk flexion or movement. Ensure full retraction (pulling together of shoulder blades) at the top of the movement.

For the following lats tri-set, you'll again be doing three exercises in a row with nil to minimal rest between exercises.

1) Dumbbell pullovers: Hold a dumbbell in each hand, and either lie on your back along a flat bench or across a bench. Start with a slight elbow bend and maintain this throughout the movement. Concentrate on making the lats do the work, not the triceps, which will require focusing on the movement coming from the shoulders.

Lower the dumbbells as far over the head as comfortable (in the shoulders). Return 1/3 of the way up, pause, then lower back to the bottom position. Pause again, then lift back up to the top, stopping before the arms reach a perpendicular position to the ground. This is one rep. Ensure that both arms stay at the same height (in relation to each other) throughout but do not allow them to touch.

2) Lat pulldowns: Using a triangle grip, pull to the chest, making sure that at the bottom position you push the chest up and pull the shoulder blades down and back. The first seven reps will be from this bottom position to halfway up, the next seven reps full range, and the last seven reps from halfway to the top stretched position.

3) Chin-ups or lat pulldowns: Now, if you're tough enough, proceed to the chin-up bar. If not, go to the lat pulldown bar. Either way, use a supine grip (palm facing your face) with the spacing of your hands shoulder-width. If doing chins, start in a full stretch position with the feet crossed and tucked up. Ensure that the chin goes well over the bar and you return to the full stretch position. Also, note the slow speed below.

Notes:Remember my load selection recommendations to start out light enough in the first week to see load increases each subsequent week, and avoid going to total muscle failure in all but the last week on this phase.

In Conclusion

Along with a dose of humility, this program is setting the foundation for greater chest strength, as well as size, that will manifest in the latter phases of this 12-week program. It's unlikely that you wouldn't get a bigger or stronger chest (or both) if you stick to the program for the full 12 weeks. Remember, no latter phase will resemble this — don't think that it's how you'll be training for the full 12 weeks. So make the most of this unique first phase!

Last edited:
Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro.

I need to check back in with your log. How are things going?
stop on by and see for yourself. Cardio could use some work, as Its hard getting back into it but as far as workouts go great.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
Xj...always Flooding people with your Magnitude. :nono:

Good Luck...I will be checking in.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[1].Day[1].Pre-Exhaustion Chest

Pre-WO(){
60min prior (Green MAGnitude:1 Scoops + 12oz water);
30min prior(White Flood:2 Scoops + 8oz water);​
};
Peri-WO(){
Xtend:6 scoops + 1 scoop Poseidon + 20oz water);​
};
Post-WO(){
Surge:3 scoops + 16oz water);​
};

A1)Forearm extensions with barbells
Warm-up set:reps(20){
w1[20x20];
};
Work set:reps(20){

w1[20x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

A2)Forearm flexions with barbells
w1[20x20];
};
w1[20x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);
// Used straight bar

TricepsTri-set
B1) Overhead dumbbell triceps extensions
Warm-up set:reps(10){
w1[20x10];​
Work set:reps(10){
w1[25x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B2) Triceps pulldowns
w1[50x10];
w1[50x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B3) Dips
w1[BWx10];​
w1[BWx10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

ShoulderTri-set

C1) Front dumbbell raises
Warm-up set(None);
Work set:reps(12){
w1[5x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

C2) Low pulley lateral raises
Warm-up set:None
Work set(21's:Top, Full, Bottom){
w1[5x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

C3) Behind-the-neck shoulder presses
Warm-up set(None);
Work set:reps(8){
w1[65x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

/*
Albeit presses are tough because
of the position of the excercise; however, presses are tough on
my rotor. Hurt the shoulder at the begining of the year, so I have
taken it easy on the overhead presses
*/

ChestTri-set
D1) Incline dumbbell flyes
Warm-up set(None);
w1[35x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

D2) Decline dumbbell presses
Warm-up set(None);
Work set(21's:Bottom, Full, Top){
w1[50x21];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Bench presses
Warm-up set(None);
w1[135x4,4,2; 135x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

/*
Wow. Nothing like struggling with 1
plate on bench. Followed the 613 tempo with a wide-grip with
feet in the air, lowering the bar to the neck/sternum. Really
hammers your chest
*/

The Bottom Line

White Flood:
  • White Flood's new flavor rocks. I love it. I enjoyed the last flavor, but the new improved makes it a 10/10
  • Subtle clean energy
  • Loved the BA tingle
  • Great Pump. The workout elicits a solid pump, but the WF really intesfies it.
  • Too soon to see the Benegits [sic] of the BA from WF
  • I loved the OG formula, and v2.0 is that much better
  • For week 2 I will start taking the Poseidon with WF
Green MAGnitude:
  • Left my GM in the freezer a little too long, so it was like a slushy. OMG - Sour Apple taste was great - 10/10
  • I might try GM post-workout for recovery aid and try it pre-wo as well to see about pumps, endurance, etc...
  • Right now, all I can say it I enjoy the taste. Not a big fan of 'Creatine Products' other than just regular Mono, but we will see if GM can change my mind

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[1].Day[2].5x5 Legs

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Power Cleans
sets(5);
reps(5){
w1[155x5, 155x5, 155x4, 155x4, 155x3];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

//First two sets I felt I could go heavier, but the accomulation and short rest periods for this type of movement caught up to me fast.

A2)Romanian Deadlifts (RDL)
sets(5);
reps(5){
w1[205x5, 205x5, 205x4, 205x4, 205x3];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B1)Squats
sets(5);
reps(5){
w1[225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

//To ensure proper form I kept the weight low for workout 1. Usually 5 reps is around the 280lb range, which isn't that great...

B2)Good Mornings
sets(5);
reps(5){
w1[135x5, 135x5, 135x4, 135x4, 135x3];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:With only a 120s rest for an Olympic move I was impressed with the recovery rate, and endurance.

Green MAGnitude:Nothing different to note from prior use.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[1].Day[3].off

Today is an off day.

I just relaxed and recover, because DOMS has kicked in. Actually had a nice headache, because my traps were very tight from the Power Cleans.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[1].Day[4].Pre-Exhaustion Back

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Forearm extensions with dumbbells
w1[10x20];
};

w1[10x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

A2)Forearm flexions with dumbbells
w1[10x20];
};
w1[10x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);

BicepsTri-set
B1)Seated dumbbell curls w/twists
w1[20x10];​
w1[25x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B2)Incline Dumbbell curls
w1[20x10];​
Work set:reps(21's:Bottom, Full, Top){
w1[20x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B3) EZ-bar preacher curls
w1[45x10];​
w1[45x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

RowsTri-set

C1) Prone dumbbell flyes
w1[2.5x10];​
w1[5x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

C2) Prone Dumbbell Rows
w1[40x10];​
w1[55x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

C3) Seated Rows
w1[62.5x10];​
w1[62.5x8];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

LatsTri-set
D1) Dumbbell Pullover
Warm-up set(None);
w1[25x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

D2) Triangle Lat Pulldown
Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.5x21];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Lat Pulldown
Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.55x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:Still getting solid pumps, clean energy, and a nice BA tingling feeling
Green MAGnitude:Can't say if it is working or not, but noticing more fuller muscles

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[1].Day[5].off

Today is an off day.

I am on a five day split, so this will be the end of my training week.

Overall impressions are great.

I love the flavor of both WF and GM.
WF is very beneficial during workouts, supplying energy, pumps, and focus.

GM might be harder to tell what it is doing, but with the overall stack I am starting to see increased stamina, strength, and recovery.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[2].Day[1].Pre-Exhaustion Chest

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

w1[20x20];
w2[20x20];
};

w1[20x20];
w2[30x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

w1[20x20];
w2[20x20];
};
w1[20x20];
w2[30x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);
// Used E-Z bar. Much easier in the wrists

TricepsTri-set
w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];
};​
w1[25x10];
w2[30x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B2) Triceps pulldowns
w1[50x10];
w2[50x10];
};​
w1[50x10];
w2[62.5x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B3) Dips
w1[BWx10];
w2[BWx10];​
w1[BWx10];
w2[BWx10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

ShoulderTri-set

Warm-up set(None);
w1[5x12];
w2[10x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

w1[5x21];
w2[7.5x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

Warm-up set(None);
w1[65x8];
w2[75x12];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

ChestTri-set
Warm-up set(None);
w1[35x12];
w2[40x12, 35x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

Warm-up set(None);
w1[50x21];
w2[55x21, (45x7, 5, 2, 7)];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Bench presses
Warm-up set(None);
w1[135x4,4,2; 135x8];
w2[(135x4, 4), (135x6,2), 135x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+ Green MAGnitude:It might be more acurate to rate this as a stack.
Strength increses throughout the workout, except for the bench press, which is understandable since I am doing pre-exhuastion. Also, I added an addition set for chest.
The lil lady went with me to the gym tonight and commented on how pumped my chest looked :bb3:

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[2].Day[2].5x5 Legs

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Power Cleans
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B1)Squats
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B2)Good Mornings
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+ Green MAGnitude:Well, went out for mi ma's b-day. Didn't have time to train. Will make up workout tomorrow on off day.

ddawg91

ddawg91

Awards
  • Established
Holy detail! :eek:

I like the setup and detail. Was wondering when I would see this log up! Definitely will be following along!

cboesger

cboesger

Swag On
Awards
  • Established
Awesome start man, this is gonna tight for sure!

Scribed bro:cool:

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[2].Day[3].off

Today was an off day, but I was going to make-up my leg workout....but slacked off :frustrate

Will have to scratch my leg workout as a loss and stay on track with the routine...

ddawg91

ddawg91

Awards
  • Established
Today was an off day, but I was going to make-up my leg workout....but slacked off :frustrate

Will have to scratch my leg workout as a loss and stay on track with the routine...

I actually almost slept in today instead of doing legs. If I do miss I usually will throw it on the end if I can and use the day I missed as a day of rest.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Holy detail! :eek:

I like the setup and detail. Was wondering when I would see this log up! Definitely will be following along!
Thanks bro.

I've been writing all the details down in my notebook. Have a few more to post then I will be caught and will be logging in 'real time'

Awesome start man, this is gonna tight for sure!

Scribed bro:cool:
:thumbsup:

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I actually almost slept in today instead of doing legs. If I do miss I usually will throw it on the end if I can and use the day I missed as a day of rest.
One of my biggest pet peeves is missing legs, but since my off-day fell on a weekend, I over slept and never got going...

ddawg91

ddawg91

Awards
  • Established
One of my biggest pet peeves is missing legs, but since my off-day fell on a weekend, I over slept and never got going...
I agree there, I use to do legs on Friday but I missed them way too much. So I switched it to Wednesday and it also gives a day fo rest for my upper body before continuing on.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nice, J!

I'm gonna have to try the new versions of Flood and Mag, but I did like the OGs.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[2].Day[4].Pre-Exhaustion Back

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

w1[10x20];
w2[10x20];
};

w1[10x20];
w2[15x10, 10x10];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);
//10lbs was light last week, but 15 was too heavy following the 311 tempo, so I dropped weight and completed the set

w1[10x20];
w2[10x20];
};
w1[10x20];
w2[15x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);
// Stronger with flexions than extensions

BicepsTri-set
w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];​
w1[25x10];
w2[30x10, (30x7, 3)];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];​
w1[20x21];
w2[(25x7, 4, 3, 7), 15x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);
//First set, failed to do 21 straight, so paused then completed the work set

w1[45x10];
w2[40x10];​
};
w1[45x10];
w2[(50x4, 4, 2), (50x3, 4, 4)];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);
//Failed on all sets. Paused and completed work set

RowsTri-set

C1) Prone dumbbell flyes
w1[2.5x10];
w2[5x10];​
};
w1[5x12];
w2[5x15];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

C2) Prone Dumbbell Rows
w1[40x10];
w2[40x10];​
};
w1[55x21];
w2[60x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

C3) Seated Rows
w1[62.5x10];
w2[62.5x10];​
};
w1[65x10];
w2[65x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

LatsTri-set
D1) Dumbbell Pullover
Warm-up set(None);
w1[25x12];
w2[30x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.5x21];
w2[90x21];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Lat Pulldown
Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.5x8];
w2[90x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+Green MAGnitude:I t was nice to fail on some of the excercises. This will help gauge strength, endurance, and recovery increases, because there is no doubt that I could have done more weight or reps.

Back felt super-pumped after this workout, as did Biceps, which I added another set, because this is another weakness of mine.

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[2].Day[5].off

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+Green MAGnitude:DOMS is minimal, but biceps are a little tender

-This is the end of my 2nd training week

Overall strength, endurance, and recovery have all increased.
Also sustaining fuller muscles.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[3].Day[1].Pre-Exhaustion Chest

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

w1[20x20];
w2[20x20];
w3[20x20];
};

w1[20x20];
w2[30x20];
w3[35x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

w1[20x20];
w2[20x20];
w3[20x20];
};
w1[20x20];
w2[30x20];
w3[35x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);
// Used E-Z bar. Much easier in the wrists

TricepsTri-set
w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];
w3[20x10];
};​
w1[25x10];
w2[30x10];
w3[35x20];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);
//Last two reps were a little poor in form, because hitting limit

B2) Triceps pulldowns
w1[50x10];
w2[50x10];
w3[50x10];
};​
w1[50x10];
w2[62.5x10];
w3[65x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

B3) Dips
w1[BWx10];
w2[BWx10];
w3[BWx10];​
};
w1[BWx10];
w2[BWx10];
w3[BWx4,4,2];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);
//Tri's were shot. I was unable to maintain the tempo, so I paused then completed work set

ShoulderTri-set

Warm-up set(None);
w1[5x12];
w2[10x12];
w3[10x20];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);
//Completed with ease, but 15lbs might have been too heavy

w1[5x21];
w2[7.5x21];
w3[10x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

Warm-up set(None);
w1[65x8];
w2[75x12];
w3[95x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);
//Shoulders feeling good. I feel pretty confident in increasing the weight and start to raise the intensity

ChestTri-set
Warm-up set(None);
w1[35x12];
w2[40x12, 30x12];
w3[40x12, 35x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);
//40lbs felt lighter than last week, so I really focused on the stretch

Warm-up set(None);
w1[50x21];
w2[55x21, (45x7, 5, 2, 7)];
w3[55x21, (50x7,2,14)];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Bench presses
Warm-up set(None);
w1[135x4,4,2; 135x8];
w2[(135x4, 4), (135x6,2), 135x8];
w3[(135x4,4), (135x5,3), 135x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+ Green MAGnitude:Felt good through out the workout, even with missing my pre-wo meal, and a nice long day at work.

Once again, pump is there, and sweating my ass off.

The other night I started taking my dog for a light run. Followed this before taking my post-wo shake

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I am caught up on my workouts and now logging in 'real-time'...

Tonight is legs, which I will have to hit extra hard since I missed last week.

Over all I am loving White Flood. This now has to be my favorite pre-wo supplement. I would love trying this with Yellow nEuphoria, either stacked or first thing in the morning.

As far as Green MAG, I still can't get over the taste. I love WF's taste, however, I have Lemonade is a flavor I am use to, but the Sour Green Apple is quite refreshing. Also, as noted prior, muscles feel denser prior to the start.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Subbed! Sorry I'm late...I rarely leave XJ's Lounge! :D

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[3].Day[2].5x5 Legs

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Power Cleans
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
w3[155x5, 155x5, 155x5, 155x5, 155x5];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);
//Weight felt light, but wanted to assure proper technique.

sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
w3[205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);
//Week one:grip felt weak, but had no issues 3rd week

B1)Squats
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
w3[245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);
//Weight was on the lighter side, but wanted to make sure I went as low as I could go and I paused at the bottom for 1-2 seconds.

B2)Good Mornings
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
w3[135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+ Green MAGnitude:After skipping a week of legs, I felt like I did not miss a step. Looking to jump weight all around next week.

Once Again I skipped pre-workout meal because of working late. This has happened two days in a row. I could have ate, but then I wouldn't have been taking WF+GM on an empty stomach. So, I took an extra serving of BCAA's prior to workout.

I can tell the stack is really providing benegits now, because doing legs without a pre-wo meal is brutal, but I had the energy + fortitude to push through.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Power Cleans
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B1)Squats
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);
//Weight was on the lighter side, but wanted to make sure I went as low as I could go and I paused at the bottom for 1-2 seconds.

B2)Good Mornings
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+ Green MAGnitude:After skipping a week of legs, I felt like I did not miss a step. Looking to jump weight all around next week.

Once Again I skipped pre-workout meal because of working late. This has happened two days in a row. I could have ate, but then I wouldn't have been taking WF+GM on an empty stomach. So, I took an extra serving of BCAA's prior to workout.

I can tell the stack is really providing benegits now, because doing legs without a pre-wo meal is brutal, but I had the energy + fortitude to push through.

Great log xjsynx...Sorry I didn't subscribe to this sooner! :frustrate

Workin

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
The gray font is a little hard to read.
I like the format of your log, though, except that the indices are not starting at zero.

No, but I will have brail for the visually impaired

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
The gray font is a little hard to read.
I like the format of your log, though, except that the indices are not starting at zero.
Yeah I was going to go all out OOP...Maybe for Phase II, and with CFML the indices start at 1 :lol:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I was going to go all out OOP...Maybe for Phase II, and with CFML the indices start at 1 :lol:
I think organizing the classes would get rough, I guess you could create a base exersize class that the others inherited from with the basic count + stuff ;)

cboesger

cboesger

Swag On
Awards
  • Established
Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

A1)Power Cleans
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B1)Squats
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

B2)Good Mornings
sets(5);
reps(5){
w2[null];
};
Tempo(40X0);
Rest(120s);

The Bottom Line

Great workout, leg days are always fun:cool:

Glad you're seeing good things already!

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[3].Day[3].off

A day I have nothing planned :afro:

Yesterday's motivation
Haste The Day - "Chrous of Angels"

Chorus of angels, destroy my silence,
That haunts me, It claims me,
While darkness walks beside me.

I saw the angels sing along to wake up the beautiful sleeping world.
Their voices will rise to test the strength of man.
Wake up the beautiful sleeping world.

We will see the fire.
The skies will open up.
The clouds will burn red and our sins will forget us.
And time will not shake us.
Our hearts are made of gold.
These walls won’t over-take us.
These walls won’t over-take us.

I saw the angels sing along to wake up the beautiful sleeping world.
Their voices will rise to test the strength of man.
Wake up the beautiful sleeping world.

Chorus of angels, destroy my silence,
That haunts me, It claims me,
While darkness walks beside me.

Chorus of angels, lead me in a prayer that will shake the foundations of the earth.
Wake up now.

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+Green MAGnitude:Leg day was good, plan on stepping it up next workout and really push it to the limits.

Slight DOMS for my chest, and my hammies. Feels good though

Last edited:
pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[3].Day[4].Pre-Exhaustion Back

Pre-WO(){
};
Peri-WO(){
};
Post-WO(){
};

w1[10x20];
w2[10x20];
w3[10x20];
};

w1[10x20];
w2[15x10, 10x10];
w3[15x15, 10x5];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);
//15 was too heavy last week, but 10 was too light, following the 311 tempo, so I dropped weight and completed the set

w1[10x20];
w2[10x20];
w3[10x20];
};
w1[10x20];
w2[15x20];
w3[15x20];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(;None);
// Stronger with flexions than extensions

BicepsTri-set
w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];
w3[20x10];​
w1[25x10];
w2[30x10, (30x7, 3)];
w3[30x10, 20x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

w1[20x10];
w2[20x10];
w3[20x10];​
w1[20x21];
w2[(25x7, 4, 3, 7), 15x21];
w3[(25x14, 7), 15x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

w1[45x10];
w2[40x10];
w3[40x10];​
};
w1[45x10];
w2[(50x4, 4, 2), (50x3, 4, 4)];
w3[(50x6, 4), (50x7, 3)];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

RowsTri-set

C1) Prone dumbbell flyes
w1[2.5x10];
w2[5x10];
w3[5x10];​
};
w1[5x12];
w2[5x15];
w3[10x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

C2) Prone Dumbbell Rows
w1[40x10];
w2[40x10];
w3[45x10];​
};
w1[55x21];
w2[60x21];
w3[60x21];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

C3) Seated Rows
w1[62.5x10];
w2[62.5x10];
w3[62.5x10];​
};
w1[62.5x10];
w2[65x10];
w3[75x10];
};
Tempo(422);
Rest(None);

LatsTri-set
D1) Dumbbell Pullover
Warm-up set(None);
w1[25x12];
w2[30x12];
w3[30x12];
};
Tempo(1 1/3rds);
Rest(None);

Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.5x21];
w2[90x21];
w3[100x21];
};
Tempo(311);
Rest(None);

D3) Lat Pulldown
Warm-up set(None);
w1[87.5x8];
w2[90x8];
w3[100x8];
};
Tempo(613);
Rest(None);

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+Green MAGnitude:Back and Biceps were really pumped. I was able to increase load or reps throughout the 3 week phase. Good stuff.

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
week[3].Day[5].off

Another place holder, because tomorrow has not came yet...

Last day of phase I

The Bottom Line

White Flood:+Green MAGnitude:

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Phase II

You'll do two upper body workouts per week. Workout A of this phase targets chest, middle and lower back, and triceps. Workout B of this phase targets shoulders, upper back, and biceps.

The two workouts are intended to be done on the first and third training days of your program. If you usually do a "four workouts a week" program, you just need to add a lower body routine on the second and fourth workouts. If you usually do a "three workouts a week" program, you just need to add a lower body routine on the second workout. And if you use a "five workouts a week" or five-day rolling program, these routines will constitute the first and third workouts.

You'll be glad to know that we're going to return to more conventional methods in this phase, which means that you're going to be able to lift more. If your ego was threatened or your fan ratings spiraled down as a result of the reduced poundages that you were able to move in the first phase, take heart. We're back in the "loading" saddle.

But you're probably nursing a secret, nagging fear. You haven't lifted heavy for three weeks, and you're worried that you might've lost a lot of strength. Yeah, and you're similarly worried that the monkey will leave you if you haven't spanked it for three weeks!

The great news is that I expect you to notice immediate strength gains during the first week as a result of the prior phase. How can that be? The physical explanations are relatively obvious. If you strengthen the assistant muscles — as was our goal during the last phase — all things being equal, you should be stronger when you return to the compound movement.

There are other physiological reasons for these strength increases, but I'll leave them for another day. One overlooked contributor, though, is the psychological component. The first phase used a pre-fatigue sequence. By the time you got to the bench, you were a lot more tired than you would've normally been at the start of benching. Metabolically speaking, you were gone, and your strength potential was reduced. But your mind had other ideas. You were adamant that you could still lift somewhere near your usual loads. And that's probably exactly what happened — you lifted more than you would've in the compound movement had you not held a predetermined perspective about what you could lift in normal situations!

Let's say that your 6RM for the bench is 100 kilograms when you're "fresh." In theory, upon arriving at the bench in the first phase, you could only manage ten reps at 60 kilograms (because of resultant fatigue) at your usual work capacity. But because you knew that your previous level of strength would allow you to do 6RM at 100 kilograms, you believed that you should've been able to handle at least 70 kilograms for ten reps. It's quite likely that this method "tricked" you into working at a higher level of intensity than normal.

And this ties into the next phase. If you take this higher expectation of loading or higher work effort into this phase, that prior personal best, or 6RM at 100 kilograms, in the bench is going to feel like a piece of paper. Your new 6RM, even without doing so much as one workout of this phase, will probably be somewhere around 105-110 kilograms.

Not only have you adjusted your psycho-physiological parameters, but this time you're going to hit the compound movements up front in the workout — while you're fresh.

Just a small note here. Often, the greatest gains appear to be between the third week of Phase I and the first week of Phase II, due to the great contrast of all of the factors discussed above. If the gains into the following two weeks aren't as dramatic, don't panic. The contrast in training between these latter weeks isn't so dramatic, but you'll still gain. You'll be enjoying that great feeling of being able to attack the major muscle group exercises fresh, before your arms feel like those of the proverbial stamp collector!

Another difference that you'll find in this program is the use of alternating or opposite muscle groups. Phase I separated the pushing and pulling days. Phase II employs both, using the full recovery alternated method. You'll feel the extra "pump" as the flexion and extension muscles are worked. And you know what Arnold said about that pump...enough talk, let's do it!

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
PhaseII.Workout_A

Phase II (Weeks 4-6)Workout A
Ah, loading again! No need to work out when the gym's empty, so get out the 45-kg plates! Yes, this program allows a return to normalcy, or maybe that's the wrong word. Maybe it's back to the more usual — who'd want to be normal?

Actually, not even back to usual is correct, since you'll be breaking new ground in strength! Just don't try to do it all in the first week. You will, however, feel automatic strength this week, compared to the previous phase. Please remember to apply my progressive intensity method. For example, use a manageable load for the first week (not going to failure), push it up a bit for the second week (but still ideally avoiding failure), and for the third week, go for it!

Bench presses: Take a medium grip on the bench press. For most, this will be defined by keeping the little fingers inside the lines on the Olympic bar. Lower the bar down to the middle of the chest. Your feet are to be on the ground — unlike the last phase, when I had you elevate them. Bring your hips up slightly closer to your shoulders, thus increasing the curve or arch of the trunk. All of these positions will allow for a greater load than the positions used in Phase I. I want at least two warm-up sets (more if your work sets are going to exceed 100 kilograms or if you have any shoulder/chest injuries or arthritis.

Using my warm-up load selection guides as described in my "How to Write Strength Training Programs" book, a two-set warm-up approach would require using 40% and 70%, respectively, of the weight that you'll be using for the first work set. For example, if the first work set was 100 kilograms for six reps, the warm-up sets would be ten reps of 40 kilograms and eight reps of 70 kilograms. Avoid causing fatigue in the warm-up sets.

Bench presses In the work sets, I want two sets of five to six reps. Aim to increase the load in the second work set, even if only by 1.25 or 2.5 kilograms. Make sure that you don't blow it out in the first work set!

You'll be alternating the two work sets with seated rows, using full recovery in between each set. For example, do a set of benches, rest two minutes, do a set of rows, rest two minutes, and then go back to the second set of benches. The higher the intensity, the longer the rest period, and vice versa.

The rest period between warm-up sets need not be as long as the rest periods between work sets. I expect that the rest period between this bench and the next exercise (seated rows) will be your longest of the session, relative to the other pairings of exercises. The speed of movement that I recommend is about 211 — yes, I still want a visible pause on the chest!

Seated rows:
Use a prone grip on a medium-length bar. Use the same warm-up, work set, and tempo protocols as described above for the bench unless you have specific needs in either (e.g. you feel that you need more warm-up sets in one than the other).

The technique that I recommend at this phase is to start with — and maintain throughout — a trunk angle just behind vertical (leaning back a little) and slightly bent knees. Ensure a full range of motion by pulling the bar to the trunk. Your target point for the bar should be about the middle of your trunk. This row is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the bench presses above.

Bench presses: This time, you'll be using a wide grip (outside the lines) on the Olympic bar and no arch. For most, this will be a weaker position for loading, but it will increase the stretch and isolation on the chest.

Use only one warm-up set, unless you feel that you don't need one. I like to use a warm-up set every time I take a new body position (regardless of how slight) and the work reps are ten or less. In this instance, use about 60% of the intended work-set weight, and keep the reps down to around six. This will allow a specific joint warm-up/line of movement rehearsal without introducing fatigue.

In the work set, however, use an amount of weight that will bring you to your predetermined level of fatigue between eight and ten reps. Only look for a second work set in this exercise (and its paired one) if your recovery system is superior. Otherwise, stick with one paired set. As far as the amount of weight that you'd use for a second set, expect to come down by at least 15-20%. I recommend about a 311 tempo.

This bench is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the following bent-over rows. I don't expect that you'll need as much recovery as in the first pairing of exercises, but don't feel the need to rush. As I've recommended in the past, ensure recovery (at least one to two minutes between work sets of alternating exercises) and maintain joint and body temperature between work sets (especially in a cooler environment/gym) through the use of such devices as warm-up towels, etc.

Bent-over rows: Use an underhanded (supine) medium-width grip. This grip position provides a variation in the pull to both the elbow flexors and the scapula retractors.

Again, start with a trunk angle that's just above horizontal with your knees bent, and don't change this during the movement. Pull to your bellybutton, or just above. The warm-up and work-set protocol is the same as for the wide-grip benches above. This row is alternated with the bench presses above, allowing for full recovery.

Bench presses: This time, use a wide grip and keep your feet up in the air. You'll also be coming to a "high" position on the chest. This is one of the weakest bench positions, but boy does it target the chest! If you don't feel like you just got off the plastic surgeon's bench after this phase of the workout, we need to do some troubleshooting — which, incidentally, is a service that I offer!

As per the previous bench press movement, take a wide grip (just outside the lines) on the Olympic bench and lower the bar to the top of your sternum — that's right, the top of your sternum — and have your feet up so that your hip and knees are at 90 degrees or greater. Cross your legs at the shins.

I want 15-20 reps on this set, so make sure that the loading is appropriate. Use a 211 tempo. If you want to up the ante, cut short the extension prior to lockout (including a reciprocal pause of one second at the end of the concentric phase). Don't extend your arms fully, and add a pause at the bottom, too.

Unless you're very tight in the chest and shoulders, you shouldn't need a warm-up set. Use a spotter, not because I expect the load to crush you, but you may experience sudden loss of work capacity (i.e. you may fail very quickly). And when you do, there's nothing more humiliating than struggling to lock out on 60% of your 1RM!

This bench is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the following seated rows. You can take your pick here — use a shorter recovery for more of a metabolic training effect, or take a longer rest and look to exploit a bit more loading.

Seated rows: Take an overhanded wide grip on the bar, but don't go so wide that you can't complete the concentric (pulling in) phase while keeping the wrists in line with the forearms. Pull high to the chest but, again, only as high as you can go without raising the shoulders (don't allow the upper traps to shorten).

Use the same warm-up, work-set, and tempo protocols as in the wide-grip, high-bar benches above. As in the above benches, the loading will be limited, but the isolation will be high. This row is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the bench presses above.

Close-grip bench presses: This time, keep your feet on the floor, but use a 6-8" grip on the bar. Perform at least one warm-up set of about ten reps. You're only doing it to rehearse the movement and provide specific joint angle warm-up, so you don't need to go heavy — about 50% of your intended first work-set weight should work fine.

For the recovery-challenged lifter, use only one work set of eight to ten reps. For those with greater recovery capacity, do up to four work sets, and I recommend the classical "light to heavy" pyramid: 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x10. Use a 211 tempo and take two or three minutes between sets. Remember that if you need to cut any sets to reduce volume, cut from this movement. By the way, you're definitely going to need a safety spotter by now!

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
PhaseII.Workout_B

Phase II (Weeks 4-6) Workout B

Chin-ups: Take a shoulder-width grip with palms facing each other (neutral) on the chin bar. Allow the feet to come off of the ground slowly, without inducing any body sway. Cross the feet at the ankles and tuck them up behind you. Pull straight up and finish the pull with the chin over the hand-grip level. Stop when you can't do another full-range rep.

I like to use the lat pulldown machine to warm up for the chins, using the same grip. Your warm-up loads are selected as a percentage of your first work-set weight. For example, if you were planning to do only your bodyweight in the first work set, and you weigh 100 kilograms, look for warm-up sets of about ten reps of 40 kilograms and eight reps of 70 kilograms.

Again, if you feel that you need to do more warm-up sets, go ahead. Just remember to keep fatigue down to a minimum before diving into the work sets. If you intend to add an additional load to your bodyweight (and I hope that you do), take this into account. The higher the loading of the first work set, the more warm-up sets I'd use. If your first work set weight was going to exceed ten kilograms of additional resistance, do a third warm-up set of bodyweight chins, perhaps at a lower number (two to four) reps.

As far as the work sets of chins, I want two sets of five to six reps. Aim to increase the load in the second work set, even if only by 1.25 or 2.5 kilograms. The speed of movement that I recommend is about 211 — yes, ideally I want to see a short pause with the head higher than the hands. These chin-ups are to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the shoulder presses below.

Shoulder presses: Set up a flat bench in front of a squat rack or similar, and take a grip on the bar that's just outside shoulder-width. Take the bar from the squat racks in a classic front-squat position (with the elbows high) and step back. Sit on the bench that you've provided. The movement commences with the hands rotating under the bar so that they can press up, and the bar goes up in front of the head to full extension. This is the classical setup.

If you lack the shoulder/elbow/wrist flexibility to perform this exercise and/or are addicted to machines, go ahead and use a machine. I'd prefer that you do shoulder pressing on a prone bench with no back support, but more on this another day.

If you're using the method that I describe, place the feet out at 45 degrees from the body so as to create a triangular base of support with the bum, and lean slightly into that triangle. Maintain pressure through the feet during the lift. This base of support will reduce the risk of injury to the lower back. Of course, any time you're pushing or pulling over the head (what you'll be doing for this workout), you raise the likelihood of minor stresses to the neck vertebrae, which keeps me in contact with my chiropractor from time to time!

Use the same warm-up, work-set, and tempo protocols as prescribed for the bench presses in the previous workout, unless you have specific needs in either (e.g. you feel that you need more warm-up sets in one than the other). These presses are to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the chin-ups above.

Lat pulldowns or chin-ups: If your chin ability is high, use the chin-ups. If not, perform the lat pulldowns. With the palms facing away, take a grip just outside shoulder-width and pull to the front. If doing chins, take the chin over hand level. If using lat pulldowns, pull the bar to the top of the sternum.

Lat pulldowns or chin-upsDo one warm-up, unless you feel that you don't need one. In this instance, use about 60% of the intended work-set weight and keep the reps down (about six reps). In the work set, look for a load that will bring you to your predetermined level of fatigue between eight and ten reps. Note that if you're not able to reach the desired rep bracket with chin-ups, you should be on lat pulldowns — better off recognizing this right away and building on the same exercise than crawling back to the lat pulldowns in the second week of this phase!

Only look for a second work set in this and its paired movement if your recovery system is superior. As far as the load that you'd use on your second set, expect to come down by at least 15-20%. The speed of movement should be 311.

This chin or lat pulldown is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the following shoulder presses. I don't expect that you'll need as much recovery as in the first pairing. But nevertheless, make sure to allow enough.

Shoulder presses: Take a medium grip (just inside the lines) on the Olympic bar and remove it from the squat racks as per a back squat. Sit on the end of a prone bench positioned behind you. As per above, if you have other preferences (like machines), use them. The warm-up and work-set protocol is the same as for the chins/lat pulldowns above.

One of the most common faults that I see in this movement is what I call "cutting" or reducing the range. I like to see the range go down to the base of the neck, shoulder level. If your flexibility prevents this, so be it. But don't start with a certain range and then reduce it upon fatigue.

If you can't maintain range, terminate! And if you're able to go full range but chose to reduce it to allow greater loading, it will only be a matter of time before you lose the ability to do full range! Don't destroy your joint mobility for 60 seconds of apparent glory. And don't kid yourself — lift a load that's best for the long term, not for short-term impression value!

This shoulder press is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the chins/lat pulldowns above. Anyone with shoulder laxity or prior shoulder surgery should review their behind-the-neck pulling and pushing. I didn't say not to do it — just review them with the aid of an appropriately trained person if you feel that you lack the knowledge to make an informed decision.

Lat pulldowns: Here I go, more political incorrectness! Pulling (and even pushing) behind the neck has lost popularity, but so did squatting prior to the rebirth of the close-chain kinetic theory. Yes, there's more stress in the shoulder joint with a pull behind the neck than with a pull in front of the neck. There's also more stress in benching with a wide grip than with a medium grip. Does this stop you from using the latter? Let's distinguish between relative and absolute. Pulling behind the neck increases certain parameters, but it's not necessarily bad for you unless there are contraindications!

The deeper you go in the squat, the greater the loading on both the knee and lower back. But does this relative infer an absolute? No. If it's not appropriate, don't do it. But don't throw it out just because someone said that it was bad for you! Be a big person, and make up your own mind. If you need an alternative, use the same-width grip and do it to the front.

Now let's get back on track. Take a wide grip, and aim to keep the wrists under the elbows (it allows for a better line of pull to strengthen the lower trap). Ideally, take the bar to the base of the neck, and minimize head and trunk movement. I want 15-20 reps on this set, so make sure that the loading is appropriate. Use a 211 tempo, and alternate (after allowing for recovery) with the following shoulder presses. Again, you can take your pick here — use a shorter recovery for more of a metabolic training effect, or take longer and look to exploit a bit more loading.

Shoulder presses: Do these as per the medium-grip shoulder presses behind the neck above, but take a wide grip (outside the lines) on the Olympic bar. The discussion about the pros and cons and alternatives to pulldowns behind the neck applies.

Use the same warm-up, work-set, and tempo protocols as in the wide-grip lat pulldowns above. And also as in the above lat pull, the loading will be limited, but the isolation will be high. This shoulder press is to be alternated (after allowing for full recovery) with the lat pulldowns above.

Biceps curls: Set up a preacher bench with a 45-degree angle. Take a shoulder-width grip on the EZ-bar in a position that allows a degree of internal rotation of the forearm. If you want to increase the isolation of the movement, make sure that the top of the bench is in your armpits, and don't let any part of the upper arm lose contact with the bench during the movement.

Another technique to increase the muscle fatigue is to stop the concentric range well before the arm reaches a vertical position, thus never allowing a rest position — you know, Weider Principle 33324! Perform at least one warm-up set of about ten reps. You're only doing it to rehearse the movement and provide specific joint angle warm-up, so don't go heavy. Use about 50% of your intended first work-set weight.

For the recovery-challenged lifter, use only one work set of eight to ten reps. For those with greater recovery capacity, do up to four work sets, and I recommend the classical "light to heavy" pyramid: 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x10. Use a 211 tempo and take two or three minutes between sets. Remember, if you need to reduce the volume of work by cutting out some sets, do it here.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
good info J! and good work! I could live w/o the music! :stick: actually...I almost like this one! How'd you do that, btw?