booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Welcome! Over the next few weeks I'll be trying out Muscle Research's Keto Salt in a variety of ways, times, and situations.

A little background info on me and my situation:

Currently sitting at about 185lb, 12% bf. Normally I don't do too hard of a keto diet (usually still pretty high protein, just more fat and no carbs) however this year, in order to help my gf stick to a diet (she loves eating keto style and feels like shes not dieting and therefore can actually stick to it), i decided to commit to a full blow, high fat, low protein, zero (or close) carb diet.

Since starting (4 weeks as of monday) I have lost about 15lb (10 the first week of the normal glycogen/water weight, 2-3 each week since) and have felt like death most of the time. Typically I can "tell" I'm in ketosis at about two weeks and start feeling better, however this time something has been different and I've actually been feeling worse and worse. I'm exhausted all the time, having horrible workouts, light headed often, and generally just feeling like I want to vomit after almost every meal as it sits in my stomach like a brick and seems to take almost a whole day to digest. For reference, I normally am a bottomless pit and just want to eat all day every day. Typically I follow IF and eat 1-2 meals/day, always in the evening.

I plan to try this out pre workout (sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon), pre bed, first thing in the morning, and potentially mid-day depending on how it/I feel.

As always, all suggestions, questions, recommendations are welcome!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Product Write-up:

Product Information
Keto Salt is a groundbreaking exogenous ketone supplement designed to help transition the body into nutritional ketosis and provide clean energy quickly to individuals currently in a fasted or ketogenic state. Through supplementation of Keto Salt, the body has an immediate supply of usable ketones to help bypass many of the unwanted side effects associated with transitioning into ketosis. Without Keto Salt supplementation, it can take days to weeks for the body to begin producing its own ketones for fat breakdown through a ketogenic diet.

Many similar exogenous ketone supplements on the market are often criticized for their unpleasant flavor. For this reason, Muscle Research has gone above and beyond to provide a natural orange flavor without the excessive salt taste or artificial overtones found in related products. We are confident Keto Salt is the best tasting exogenous ketone supplement available.

What Are Ketones?
Ketones are used by mitochondria in the body to generate energy as an alternative to glucose. In humans, only 3 different ketones are produced through the liver; acetone, acetoacetic acid and beta-hydroxybutyrate. Though beta-hydroxybutyrate is not technically a ketone body, it still functions like other ketone bodies and can be more easily converted to energy through the body's energy pathways.

What is BHB?
Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, or BHB, is the most common ketone body utilized in exogenous ketone supplements. Unlike other ketone bodies, BHB is easily converted into energy by the body through the conversion to acetoacetic acid, eventually converting to two Acetyl-CoA molecules using beta-ketothialase. Keto Salts provide an instant supply of ketones, even if you are not in ketosis, to provide clean energy or kick start fat burning.

What Results Can I Expect from Keto Salt?
May Promote Weight Loss
May Provide Appetite Suppression
May Promote Increased Physical Performance
May Provide Anti-Inflammatory Support
May Improve Cognition
May Alleviate Lethargy and Fatigue

Who Should Supplement with Keto Salt?
Healthy adults who are overweight, dieting or trying to get rid of excess fat through a ketogenic diet should supplement with Keto Salt. Ketogenic Athletes or Bodybuilders who are interested in slimming down quickly for an event or competition may also benefit from quicker ketosis transition times to shed water weight as well as increased energy from exogenous ketone supplementation.

What Side Effects Can I Expect from Keto Salt?
When following the ketogenic diet, some individuals may experience diarrhea, unpleasant breath or temporary flu-like symptoms. If negative side effects should occur, discontinue use immediately and consult your physician.

What is the Recommended Dosage for Keto Salt?

As a dietary supplement, dissolve one heaping scoop in 8 ounces of cold water and stir vigorously. For best results, consume first thing in the morning as a weight loss aid or 15 minutes prior to cardio intensive exercise for increased energy and athletic performance. Do not exceed 3 servings per day.

ketoSalt.jpg
ketoSaltSuppFacts.jpg

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Sliding in here.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subd

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome! In on this for sure!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok, so today was my first dose. A few notes though first.

Had a good meal back at home last night that seemed to settle and digest much better. Actually even took a poo for the first time in like 4 days (sorry ha). Slept for about 10hrs which was even better and didn't wake up with a stomach ache or that miserable brick in the belly feeling either. I was still tired/lethargic when first getting up but was motivated by the fact that I wasn't feeling too crappy so that had my head right.

First dose, 10oz of ice water, 15min pre as directed.

Taste: a nice tart orange flavor. Not nearly as salty as I expected or as some of the others I've had. I really enjoyed the tartness and was amazed that it really tasted just like orange juice and not a fake orange candy type flavor. Really solid flavoring.

Effects: WOW. I can't just yet attribute the wonder that was today's workout to just this just yet, but suffice to say I absolutely felt 100% better in the gym today. Outside of a little trap tweak when I lost my tightness the last rep of deads, I crushed it like o haven't since switching to keto. I was able to do my workout for today (pull power) plus about 1/3 of what I skipped yesterday (push power) due to exhaustion and sickness. My energy and stamina really was amazing until about 1hr 25min at which point I hit a very definitive wall and called it there. I was thrilled with my output, strength, mental sharpness and focus, and overall mood.

We will see if this continues tomorrow and beyond and if so, I'll give this full credit, but for now I'd have to say, yes it helped, but I can't say it's the only reason things went better since food and rest also were in play here.

TLDR; day 1 was a raging success, but will need to be repeated to confirm keto salt as the major contributor.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In for this

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Somewhat as expected, today was not quite on or with yesterday. I attribute yesterday to the perfect storm of rest, recovery, nutrition, and supps all coming together simultaneously. That said, today's workout was still solid.

Dosed the same as yesterday, 15min pre in ice cold water. Only takes a little swirling to mix which is awesome.

This isn't the type of supp that you "feel" per se, but I can definitely tell the difference in my last two workouts especially in terms of recovery between sets, mental focus and motivation, and overall time to fatigue. Leading up to this weekend I had been absolutely struggling through workouts and really only making it through due to epic willpower. Many of them were just "going through the motions" type and certainly not as heavy or as intense as I normally can push.

Yesterday (especially) and today (better but not epic) have been markedly better. While I was ready to be done by the end of my 55mi. Workout today, I didn't feel mentally drained or just beaten down like I have been.

I'll continue similar dosing for a few more days, and then skip a day or two to truly measure the impact vs nothing. Put that placebo effect to the test ;)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Anyone else have any experience with keto or specifically products like this? I'd love to hear how you used them or what benefits/issues to look for outside of the obvious

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else have any experience with keto or specifically products like this? I'd love to hear how you used them or what benefits/issues to look for outside of the obvious
Been on keto for most of the last 3.5 years. If it does nothing more than blocking "keto flu" when dropping in to to keto, it'll be worth it. If it additionally helps drop into keto quicker, it'll be fantastical! Got my own coming tomorrow.

Ok. Not helpful. But I'll get back to you....:)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
IMG_1499107586.341338.jpg
for reference, this is what I've been using as a "heaping scoop" per the directions. Just a bit rounded over the top.
muscleResearch does this look about right?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
"Heaping scoop" on the directions is interesting lol

In to see how this treats you brother

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad the workouts have been going better so far, bud. Also love hearing about the flavor (added bonus for sure).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
"Heaping scoop" on the directions is interesting lol

In to see how this treats you brother
Yeah that's one of those measurements I hate... as someone who travels constantly I'm not gonna take a scale with me all the time so that's a pain.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So today was back to the slogging through a workout. Worked during the day and took my keto salt same as normal (15 min pre) just in the afternoon instead of upon waking like I lift on weekends.

Two things I noticed: mentally I was fairly solid, just tired. Physically though I just couldn't put it together. Missed a rep or two on almost all sets of all exercises.

Two factors at play here that I will need to vet out further: first, on work days I def get less sleep. Weekends are typically 9-10hrs while weekdays are 5-7max. This certainly will play a part, but I would expect it to be more at the end of the week, and not Day 1. Second is that I normally take Monday off as it's after my 3 power days. This weekend I only had 2 (due to skipping fri) but wanted to get more workouts in this wee since next weekend I'll be off. Cumulative fatigue from heavy squats and deads most likely played some role, but I was less able to sustain my output like I was through the weekend.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans!

Got plenty of sleep last night and definitely felt better heading into today. A little bit of the slow digestion I had from last week but nothing terrible or sickening like before.

Standard dosing and headed in for pull hypertrophy. At the start of my workout I wasn't feeling to great and my first few sets were ok but nothing special. Hit my reps but no more. As the workout went along tho i felt better and better and ended up finishing strong (albeit tired). Overall my stamina was pretty solid and I would say this was pretty much what I would expect.

Sleep is definitely one of if not the major contributor to my excessive lethargy (obviously outside of the diet which I know is taking its toll) so outside of that factor I will begin tinkering with dosing and such.

Any further recommendations on other times that I could/should dose in order to help or just to explore?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yesterday was a true mixed bag... and thus very hard to get a good read on.

Workout was slated for late afternoon (5pm ish) and i didn't do much through the day outside of normal work. Wasn't feeling to great (tired, stomach a little off) leading up to workout time but wanted to make sure to get at least something in. Sleep was not an issue as I had gotten 9+hrs so the fatigue and stomach was solely diet related. I took my pre and keto salt and headed in for legs hyper (ew, front squats).

As i was getting to the gym, I began to perk up and felt pretty good. For about the first 30min or so I absolutely balsted through my workout. Set a rep PR on front squats, and was just flying... though it seemed that the high reps and speed didn't sit well with the keto salts and pre in my stomach as i began to feel sick. I slowed down a bit and tried to finish up but at about the 45min mark I was just done. Tired, sick, and just all around drained. I called it a day and headed to the shower. Skipped my normal post workout sauna as m stomach just couldn't take it. I actually ended up throwing up most of the salts and pre on my way to the shower (which fortunately tasted just fine coming back up too haha).

After that little episode I felt a bit better but still just uneasy stomach. Defintely nothing to do with the Keto Salts, as this was the trend through dinner and even into this morning. Clearly im having some digestion issues with this high fat diet that I need to keep an eye on and try tweaking foods to see what sits better. Any advice is appreciated.

I also bought some ketostix two days ago and have been testing myself a few times. I have yet to show more than trace ketosis which is concerning a) as I've been 65% fat / 30% protein / 5% (or less) carbs for over a month now and b) the ketosalts do not seem to be directly helping deepen my ketosis. My gf (who is literally eating the same foods as me just in slightly less qty and ahs taken no KS) showed much higher. My only thoughts onthis are potentially that the artificial sweetners in some of the supps I take are having a severe negative impact (even though the gf is able to drink diet coke through the day...wtf). To test this, I have removed ergonine and replaced with plain creatine mono, swapped the xtend perform i had just opened for a much lighter flavored (and 0 cal) bcaa, and will only be dosing bcaa's once a day, at lunchtime. Keto Salts will continue to be dosed around my workout times, and if I continue to have issue with ketosis, I may try replacing all bcaa's with keto salts. beyond these factors, I don't know what else can be done.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday was a true mixed bag... and thus very hard to get a good read on.

Workout was slated for late afternoon (5pm ish) and i didn't do much through the day outside of normal work. Wasn't feeling to great (tired, stomach a little off) leading up to workout time but wanted to make sure to get at least something in. Sleep was not an issue as I had gotten 9+hrs so the fatigue and stomach was solely diet related. I took my pre and keto salt and headed in for legs hyper (ew, front squats).

As i was getting to the gym, I began to perk up and felt pretty good. For about the first 30min or so I absolutely balsted through my workout. Set a rep PR on front squats, and was just flying... though it seemed that the high reps and speed didn't sit well with the keto salts and pre in my stomach as i began to feel sick. I slowed down a bit and tried to finish up but at about the 45min mark I was just done. Tired, sick, and just all around drained. I called it a day and headed to the shower. Skipped my normal post workout sauna as m stomach just couldn't take it. I actually ended up throwing up most of the salts and pre on my way to the shower (which fortunately tasted just fine coming back up too haha).

After that little episode I felt a bit better but still just uneasy stomach. Defintely nothing to do with the Keto Salts, as this was the trend through dinner and even into this morning. Clearly im having some digestion issues with this high fat diet that I need to keep an eye on and try tweaking foods to see what sits better. Any advice is appreciated.

I also bought some ketostix two days ago and have been testing myself a few times. I have yet to show more than trace ketosis which is concerning a) as I've been 65% fat / 30% protein / 5% (or less) carbs for over a month now and b) the ketosalts do not seem to be directly helping deepen my ketosis. My gf (who is literally eating the same foods as me just in slightly less qty and ahs taken no KS) showed much higher. My only thoughts onthis are potentially that the artificial sweetners in some of the supps I take are having a severe negative impact (even though the gf is able to drink diet coke through the day...wtf). To test this, I have removed ergonine and replaced with plain creatine mono, swapped the xtend perform i had just opened for a much lighter flavored (and 0 cal) bcaa, and will only be dosing bcaa's once a day, at lunchtime. Keto Salts will continue to be dosed around my workout times, and if I continue to have issue with ketosis, I may try replacing all bcaa's with keto salts. beyond these factors, I don't know what else can be done.
Good to know if you throw it back up, it aint bad. Hope you feel better

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Good to know if you throw it back up, it aint bad. Hope you feel better
Haha yeah that was the plus side of a bad situation. Not feeling sick at all today, just a bit bloated and full still this morning. not nearly as tired either so far. We will see later when I get to the gym.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yesterday was a pretty solid day. Lower stim pre with a late workout and keto salts and it went pretty well strength was solid, no sickness, and endurance was good for about 40-50min. No real crash after either.

One thing I have noticed too is that I'm thirsty as all hell after dosing and even hours later.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday was a pretty solid day. Lower stim pre with a late workout and keto salts and it went pretty well strength was solid, no sickness, and endurance was good for about 40-50min. No real crash after either.

One thing I have noticed too is that I'm thirsty as all hell after dosing and even hours later.
Do you think its the Salts making you thirsty or could it be something else?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you think its the Salts making you thirsty or could it be something else?
I think it's the generally high sodium content of my keto diet along with the salts. That combo should make me thirsty.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So life threw me a bit of a curveball and when I was supposed to be home Sunday night and Monday I will now be traveling for work. Unfortunately I had no clue this was coming and didn't pack for what will now be 2+ weeks away so I will have about a week of a gap where I won't have any keto salts to take. I'll use this time to test out effects of workouts (assuming I can get some in between flights and meetings) without the salts to truly gauge their effect.

Yesterday was my last workout for a few days and was simple a 30 min squat and dead session. Considering I had just come off of 4hrs of sleep and 2 flights, it went fairly well and I felt very good even after it with my normal doses.

Today I'll be out drinking all day for a concert so no workout or salts today. Tomorrow is mostly travel so probably none then either.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just make sure to keep your bcaa up wwhile on keto. Since we lower our protein .

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just make sure to keep your bcaa up wwhile on keto. Since we lower our protein .
Keto is muscle sparring so why increased bcaa? Also, bcaa *could* potentially kick you out.

Boone, id lower protein further. Plus ketostix measure excess ketones. Once you're adapted you won't measure anything. Blood ketone meter is what you're after bud.

I'd swap in avocados for the added fiber and maybe supplement bromelain with all meals.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Keto is muscle sparring so why increased bcaa? Also, bcaa *could* potentially kick you out.

Boone, id lower protein further. Plus ketostix measure excess ketones. Once you're adapted you won't measure anything. Blood ketone meter is what you're after bud.

I'd swap in avocados for the added fiber and maybe supplement bromelain with all meals.
been eating an av a day almost every day (at least at home).

protein is only at 115g as it is so thats pretty low... frankly i really dont wanna go any lower simply because its a pain to eat anyhting i like and not have protein ha

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
obviously kicked out of keto this weekend with a few drinks and such but got back on the bus yesterday. Took a dose of ketosalts in the afternoon instead of bcaas and to potetnially help get back into ketosis faster.

no bcaas or keto salts today just due to time and im trying to save them for later in the week when i may need them more. This messed up schedule and travel is really cramping my style and killing my gym time ha

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
turd of a day today.. 7hrs on planes, 9hrs of meetings, no chance at any type of workout or even cardio, and dinner is a few handfuls of nuts and a few scoops of pb.

No chance to dose any keto salts either since they were in my luggage and it wasn't with me most of the day. Only have about 2-3 scoops left with me as it stands as well (which will have to last me until next thursday haha). gonna be a long, exhaustive week of nothing good.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
turd of a day today.. 7hrs on planes, 9hrs of meetings, no chance at any type of workout or even cardio, and dinner is a few handfuls of nuts and a few scoops of pb.

No chance to dose any keto salts either since they were in my luggage and it wasn't with me most of the day. Only have about 2-3 scoops left with me as it stands as well (which will have to last me until next thursday haha). gonna be a long, exhaustive week of nothing good.
At least it wasnt 7hrs on planes, 9 hrs of meetings, no workout, a BigMac, Lrg Fry, and a Diet Coke.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
At least it wasnt 7hrs on planes, 9 hrs of meetings, no workout, a BigMac, Lrg Fry, and a Diet Coke.
yeah ill eat nothing before i just eat a load of garbage... especially when im cutting. i can find some bcaas or something to survive a day or two on ha

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Finally got in a real gym today for a workout (have been getting only bands or nothing from the hotels so far this week). Hit legs mostly but threw in a few back exercises as well just cuz I wanted and actually felt decent.

Heading into the workout I was pretty exhausted but a little pre (and I mean a little since I'm like 1/3 dosing what little stims I have left ha) and a full scoop of keto salts had me feeing much better about 20min later. Just enough energy and stamina to get through a solid workout.

Have about 1 more solid dose and maybe a partial left that I will save for Saturday or Sunday since those will be pull or legs power. Might even just do a lower power one day and squat and dead with that.

At this point it's clear there is a legit difference in the days I've taken it and how I feel for an hour or so after vs taking nothing.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established

Whats the bromelain for?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have one last dose of salts that I'm going to take tomorrow before legs power. Didn't take anything besides some stims today and workout was very lackluster. Honestly I hate everything about this keto diet and can't wait to finish ha. The salts help but only so much. They don't fix the general ass feeling all day and really only support short bouts of workouts.

Workouts have been just motions with only 1-2 exceptional ones the last two weeks. Can't wait to get home weds night tho and have a more constant dose of the salts to try multiple daily doses for the last few days and see how that can hopefully help

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
In brotha.

Interesting how you feel so lethargic and such while keto. Are you tracking electrolytes to see how much you are getting each day?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In brotha.

Interesting how you feel so lethargic and such while keto. Are you tracking electrolytes to see how much you are getting each day?
No, I really wouldn't even know how. I've been drinking more electrolyte enhanced water and occasionally a Powerade zero but really trying to avoid any artificial sweeteners at this point.

I'll be interested to see what the keto strips show when I get home as I didn't get a chance to measure since cutting out a few of my normal sweetened supps.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
No, I really wouldn't even know how. I've been drinking more electrolyte enhanced water and occasionally a Powerade zero but really trying to avoid any artificial sweeteners at this point.

I'll be interested to see what the keto strips show when I get home as I didn't get a chance to measure since cutting out a few of my normal sweetened supps.
This is going to sound crazy probably, but try and get some bouillon cubes and throw one in a glass of water or boiling water, mix it up, and drink that down.

If I don't get 5-7grams of sodium on top of what's already In my food (which prob isn't much if you are consuming lots of fat protein and veggies), I feel like crap. Sounds like you are experiencing keto flu all the time, and it's most likely due to your electrolytes.

For a few days, try and get 5 grams sodium, 1 gram potassium, 400mg mag.

Easiest way for me:

Salt the sh1t outta your food
Pink Himalayan salt shots (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) in water, with squeeze of lime or electrolyte enhanced mio.
Nu salt for potassium
Chicken brotha (boullion or store bought)
Sodium pills if truly needed (bought or cap own)
Pedialyte
Throw some pink salt in some poweraid zero

If salt taste really good, good chance you needed it!

It makes a crazy crazy difference when you start getting enough electrolytes. Keto is super diuretic and you don't retain them like you would on a typical diet with carbs. You can also try salt loading (I do 2g) pre workout. Not only will it help energy, it will help get some solid pumps as well!

Also, interested to see your macros. Not sure why low protein while on keto but I also am not sure of your goals :) keto is the thing I know most about when it comes to training and dieting since I've spent most of my 'training time' while I keto and cutting from a fat man to what I am now haha.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is going to sound crazy probably, but try and get some bouillon cubes and throw one in a glass of water or boiling water, mix it up, and drink that down.

If I don't get 5-7grams of sodium on top of what's already In my food (which prob isn't much if you are consuming lots of fat protein and veggies), I feel like crap. Sounds like you are experiencing keto flu all the time, and it's most likely due to your electrolytes.

For a few days, try and get 5 grams sodium, 1 gram potassium, 400mg mag.

Easiest way for me:

Salt the sh1t outta your food
Pink Himalayan salt shots (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) in water, with squeeze of lime or electrolyte enhanced mio.
Nu salt for potassium
Chicken brotha (boullion or store bought)
Sodium pills if truly needed (bought or cap own)
Pedialyte
Throw some pink salt in some poweraid zero

If salt taste really good, good chance you needed it!

It makes a crazy crazy difference when you start getting enough electrolytes. Keto is super diuretic and you don't retain them like you would on a typical diet with carbs. You can also try salt loading (I do 2g) pre workout. Not only will it help energy, it will help get some solid pumps as well!

Also, interested to see your macros. Not sure why low protein while on keto but I also am not sure of your goals :) keto is the thing I know most about when it comes to training and dieting since I've spent most of my 'training time' while I keto and cutting from a fat man to what I am now haha.
Well unfortunately I know sodium is not my issue... on top of the fact that I'm a total salt addict and bury most of my food in it, I've already been doing the occasional boullion cube water and various other sodium heavy foods and drinks. Even only tracking what I get without adding anything MFP shows me at 3.5-5.5g every day (which wouldn't include anything I drink, added salt or seasoning, etc).

Macros currently are:
P- 119
F- 148
C- 24

Reason for keeping protein lower is to avoid it potentially being converted to glucose. Too much and it can kick you out of ketosis on its own. Here's an example day
IMG_1818.jpg

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
What's your goal right now as far as body composition? Maintaining or cutting? I'd assume looks like cut numbers but idk :)

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I'd say try 163 pro, 25c, 132 fat. 1940 cals. 10% deficit roughly your stats. You won't get kicked out

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What's your goal right now as far as body composition? Maintaining or cutting? I'd assume looks like cut numbers but idk :)
Cutting. Actually 1900 was 200 more than I was cutting before keto. I've found I can get away with a little more cals when keto but it's still the volume of food (or lack of) that kills me.

I normally maintain around 1900 so any higher is most likely gonna have me gaining sadly.

You don't think having higher protein than fats will be too much? I've done similar before but everything seems to say deeper/more effective ketosis when fats are higher.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't raise your protein. Again, Keto is muscle sparring. And protein won't fix the feeling you're having.
The_Old_Guy had to take his protein down to 88g a day to have his blood measure above moderate(1.6-3) mmol *i believe*

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Cutting. Actually 1900 was 200 more than I was cutting before keto. I've found I can get away with a little more cals when keto but it's still the volume of food (or lack of) that kills me.

I normally maintain around 1900 so any higher is most likely gonna have me gaining sadly.

You don't think having higher protein than fats will be too much? I've done similar before but everything seems to say deeper/more effective ketosis when fats are higher.
I think its kind of silly to 'chase ketones'. If you Hve a high reading, or a deeper level, that is all awesome and everything for brain function, excess energy, etc.. But not really for fat loss. The magic of ketosis is using your own body fat to supply yourself with energy when you aren't using dietary fat. I have seen it laid out like this:

Protein is a goal (0.8g per lbm, very muscle sparing at this number in a cut)
Carbs are a limit (to remain in ketosis)
Fat is a lever (lever is 180degrees for maintain, to cut you drop your fat, to gain you up your fat)

I've eaten as high at 1.2g protein per lbm and had no trouble remaining in ketosis. Gluconeogensis is a slow process, and having extra amino acids doesn't speed up that rate.. So technically it's going to happen at the same rate regardless of protein intake.

You dont need high fat and lower protein to he in ketosis despite what a lot of people say. Would you not agree that during a PSMF you are also in ketosis. Keto is simply low carb, and then protein and fat depending on goals.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think its kind of silly to 'chase ketones'. If you Hve a high reading, or a deeper level, that is all awesome and everything for brain function, excess energy, etc.. But not really for fat loss. The magic of ketosis is using your own body fat to supply yourself with energy when you aren't using dietary fat. I have seen it laid out like this:

Protein is a goal (0.8g per lbm, very muscle sparing at this number in a cut)
Carbs are a limit (to remain in ketosis)
Fat is a lever (lever is 180degrees for maintain, to cut you drop your fat, to gain you up your fat)

I've eaten as high at 1.2g protein per lbm and had no trouble remaining in ketosis. Gluconeogensis is a slow process, and having extra amino acids doesn't speed up that rate.. So technically it's going to happen at the same rate regardless of protein intake.

You dont need high fat and lower protein to he in ketosis despite what a lot of people say. Would you not agree that during a PSMF you are also in ketosis. Keto is simply low carb, and then protein and fat depending on goals.
Yeah that's true about the psmf. I def have hit the ketosis level in that type of diet before.

Much appreciated for all the insights. tyga tyga you as well (even tho you guys are contradicting each other ha)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not worth arguing over lol

Keto isn't simply "low carb" though.