EvoMuse Fat Loss Sponsored Log - Kaprice

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Big thanks goes out to dsade at EvoMuse for helping me reach my massive fat loss goal by offering to sponsor this log.

I'll post starting measurements and pics a bit later, but here's a quick intro.

I turn 55 next month. I reached my lifetime high weight of 267 pounds 3 months ago. YUCK!

I'm currently 252 pounds and I'd guess from 35 to 40% BF.

My goal is to get to 215 pounds and be functionally strong, limber, with good cardio endurance.

DSade believes I can get to a BF in the teens within 3 months. That would be AWESOME.

Here's the stack EvoMuse provided:

BRITE
EPITOME
AMMO
DCP
ABLIDERATE ADVANCED
THERMOGUM

I'm also using DEFUSE on my dime.

I plan to do low rep heavy resistance 3x a week
and some light cardio 2x a week.

My target daily calories is 1700. I'll do that by limiting morning and daytime intake to green powder drinks and protein drinks. When I feel snacky, I'll allow myself small portions of meet or cheese. I'll be limiting my carbs.

The challenge is dinner. It will be difficult and awkward for me to make my own dinner for reasons I won't get into, so I'll just be eating what's prepared for me, which will often include carbs. So, I'll just be doing portion control and relying on the drastically reduced calories during the day to stay within my calorie target.

As a result, I don't know how to track my macros, since the prepared meals will usually be mixtures and I won't know what quantities of each type of food is. For example, last night was taco salad. But, where I can, I'll track my macros.

I used to be fairly strong and my body responded to weight training quite well. But, a few years ago, I pulled a hamstring during a sprint, reinjured it later during squats, and then I hurt my shoulders and got the weight lifting equivalent to tennis elbow, so I'm far less confident and aggressive in the gym nowadays.

My goal is to post here daily, but I'll at minimum do weekly.

I'll have starting pics and stats with weekly progress pics/stats.

I'm looking forward to getting down to a healthy, nice looking weight again.

Attachments

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
First a bit of a disclaimer (excuse). We just moved (a fairly large house) to another state. So, my last few weeks have consisted of poor eating and no exercise -- other than the physical work of packing and loading.

We're in the new house, but 80% of my stuff is still in boxes.

Also, my gym was just 7 minutes away from my old house and is 30 minutes away now. There a couple of closer ones that are not as nice and cost more. That SUCKS. It's going to be hard for me to keep my lifting commitment. And, I need to make some decisions about maybe changing gyms.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 1: Monday

DANG! I had a full write up for today and my browser crashed. Now I have to remember what I wrote. I hate that!

Yesterday, I had zero carbs and very low calorie up until dinner. Then a fairly low carb dinner, but I overate. Didn't track macros or portions, so I don't know my calorie intake.

Also, didn't make it to the gym and I didn't walk or run.

I still ended up losing a half pound, though!

Yesterday'Dosages:

Brite - Morning, Dinner, Before bed
Ammo - Waking, Before bed
Epitome - Noon, dinner
Defuse - before dinner
DCP - 2 caps before bed
Abliderate - Before bed (and wrapped in cellophane)

I also chewed Thermogum twice.
And, I had 2mg of Nicoretts gum -- I take this based on Kiefer's recommendation and because I like the appetite suppresssion, energy, and focus.

Bed: 1:00 am (shame on me!)
Wake: 8:30 am

Body Stats first thing Tues morning:
2016-08-09_11-46-09.png

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DEXA - Start (sort of)

In anticipation of doing this log, I had a DEXA exam, but for various reasons, I was unable to start the sponsored stack until yesterday.

This scan was taken on 6/22/2016.

I intend to do another at the end of my stack run (I'd guess 8 or 12 weeks).

BUT, I'm now in another state, so my next scan will be done by another company on another machine, so I don't know if that will affect the consistency -- or the ability to accurately compare results with this first scan.

BMI: 37.4

Dexa - June 22 2016.png

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Quick note...

I didn't receive my full stack from EvoMuse until late last week. But, I've been taking these purchased products for about 6 weeks:

Brite / Epitome

And, Defuse for about 2 weeks.

The last 3 or 4 weeks involved no formal exercise, lots of eating out, and lots of high carb snacking.

And through all that, I still lost about 5 pounds.

So, I have high hopes for what this full stack will do while I'm watching my macros, calories, and getting in proper exercise.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Day 2 Continued...

Only intake up until 1:30 was green powder in lemon water.

Then 1 scoop of gold standard whey and 1 scoop gold standard casien - in Almond milk.
and half oz of deli roast beef. Also about 25 roasted almonds (my go to snack. I know I need to be careful with these, but I'm addicted to chips and this helps me resist that.)

I hit the gym and did full body resistance.

Each body part had for sets
12 Light - easy warm up
10 Medium - a bit harder
8 Heavy - bit of a struggle
6 Very Heavy - last rep should be to near fatigue

But, since I've been away from lifting for a bit, I didn't push too hard for fatigue.

When the 6th rep on the last set wasn't hard enough (because I guessed wrong on the weight), I did more reps until it was a struggle.

Machine squats
Horizontal Dumbbell bench press
Machine quad lifts (what the heck is that called? It's the opposite of the machine leg curl.
Dumbbell standing curls
Dumbbell bench scull crushers
Machine leg curl
Dumbbell shoulder flies

12 mins walking treadmill, increasing incline every minute after 2 until 9 and then decreasing every 30 seconds incline until 12.

I prefer to go 20 minutes, but I was wiped -- though I'm surprised I'm still not sweating over much. It was showing through my shirt, but I wasn't drenched and dripping.

I weighed myself when I got home and was at 248.3 I started the day at 251.4, so that was a nice surprise. Of course that's going to be mostly water loss, but it beats my all-time low (since my high of 267) by 3 pounds.

I'm hoping to hit 245 by Saturday after a workout.

I'll start applying Abliderate Advanced upon waking, after shower tomorrow. For today, I applied it after my shower after the workout.

Dinner was waiting for me when I got back from the gym, so I neglected to take my Defuse.

Dinner was bbq pulled pork w/ cole slaw on a hamburger bun. With a bit more willpower, I would have had it w/o the bun. Also a can of pop. Should have been water.

Again, didn't weigh portions, but I only had one serving with bun. Then I had a bit more of the pulled pork and cole slaw separately.

I also messed up my timing of Brite and Epitome. That occurred at 8:00 pm. I think I may have taken Epitome too close to my workout, too.

Took 2 caps of DCP at 8:00, also -- right after dinner.

AND, I forgot I'm supposed to take AMMO before bed and ended up taking it at 8:00, too.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
dsade, I know it's recommended to have 3 hours between Epitome and resistance training.

Is that on both sides of the workout? Or, is it okay to have it soon after?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 3 - morning

Went to bed last night at 1:30 am. I need to work on that. 11:00 or 11:30, at the latest, is my goal.

Up at 8:30 am

After bowel movement, I weighed in at 150.5.

That's .9 pound loss from yesterday morning.

I showered and applied Abliderated Advanced. I'm not really liking the need to shower and apply first thing in the morning because now I'm going to go jogging and will need to shower again when I get back from that. But, apparently, first thing upon rising is where you get the best fat loss benefit from AA.

I'm about to take Ammo and Brite. Then off to jog. (it FEELS like a run to me, but it's really just a jog -- and that's being generous. Last month, I clocked my mile at 11:40. But, I was able to do it without dropping to a walk, so that's a win.

Also, I forgot to mention yesterday that I had a couple of body challenges during my workout.

On the last few inches of leg curl reps (when my legs get close to my butt), my left hamstring started warning me it might be about to pull. This is the same spot I injured sprinting a few years ago -- and then again during a heavy squat a few months after that. It appears it's still rather weak. It's just one spot about the size of a chicken nugget that feels like it's going to pull again.

So, I stayed lighter weight and avoided going all the way to my butt.

Also, during curls, my left elbow twinged a bit. That's the tennis elbow thing I mentioned before. It's still a bit tender.

So, I'm frustrated at my inability to go all out at the gym. And, sprints are out -- though it seems I can "sprint" on the stationary bike. And, maybe the eliptical.

I set a short term target of 245 by Saturday (after workout). So including today, I've got 4 days to make it happen. That's 4.5 pounds. Probably a bit optimistic, but I'm going to try.

I took pics last night and need to edit them. I'll post them later today for progress comparisons.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Our new neighborhood is in hilly area. We have a hilly park exactly 1/4 mile away. The path around the park is exactly 1/2 mile.

So, I walked down hills 1/4 mile to the park. Stretched and then jogged two laps around the park. Roughly half the lap is a relatively steep incline and the other half a comfortable decline. I tried jogging up the incline but only got half way. It wiped me out. For the rest of the mile, I jogged down and walked up.

It ended up being an 11:50 mile.

A short stretch and then the 1/4 mile walk uphill home.

Rested for several minutes and weighed myself. 148.5. That's essentially what I was after yesterday's resistance workout.

I'm pretty sure my electronic scale has a MOE of up to a full pound. Case in point, I can weigh myself 30 seconds apart and be higher or lower by a half pound, or so, on the second weigh. So, I'll have to rely on trends and not get excited or freaked out over a half pound here or there.

So far, no calories consumed. Just maybe 4 to 6 oz of water.

I'm going to mix up a green drink now.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sub'd for this one!

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
It's 11:20 am. I'm half way through my lemon green drink and feeling pretty hungry. It's my son's birthday, and so far I've resisted grabbing cinnamon rolls and other goodies laid out. I will, however, relax a bit tonight. I'll start with DEFUSE and watch my portions.

Probably time for some Thermogum. But, I'll wait until the green drink is gone because the gum destroys the flavor of the drink.

Thermogum at 11:30a. For 40 mins

Hunger slightly abated, but added
Epitome at 11:55a to help.

12:20p
5 oz cottage cheese
1.5 oz deli roast beef

12:50p
Nicorett - for 25 mins

My legs are really sore from yesterday's lifting and today's jog. Going up and down stairs is killing me. But, it's a USE soreness, not an injury soreness.

Arms are good, chest is just mildly sore. Probably means I should push my arms a bit harder.

1:30p
Snacked on 30 roasted almonds. Still feeling pretty hungry. Time for a protein drink.

2:10p
2 cups milk. 2 sc Gold Standard protein. 1/2 peach (frozen).
That did the trick. Feeling quite satisfied, right now.

3:00p
short nap

5:10p
Brite/Epitome/DCP
Feeling a bit tired.

5:30p
Short nap
Defuse/Brite/Epitome

6:00p
Dinner - 2 cups home made veggie/noodle dish.
1 sweet roll with 1/2 milk

Starting to feel my upper body more -- IOW, a bit more painful. But, it's still my legs that are making me regret yesterday and this morning.

8:30p
Small party for my son's bday.
1/2 slice of german chocolate cake.
1.5 scoops of vanilla ice cream
a handful of swedish fish
Another 20 roasted almonds.

Bed: 11:30p

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Starting Pictures

OK, this was rather hard for me. It's amazing how we can look in the mirror and think, "that's not TOO bad" and then see our same body in a photograph and almost throw up. Or, is that just me?

Anyway, I want to be able to document progress (or lack thereof), so starting pics are pretty important. I intend to take new pics every Saturday. Starting Aug 20th. I think this coming Saturday is too close to the first set to make it worth while.

I took 11 different poses. Probably overkill, but I want to be sure I capture the progress.

In most poses there's a flexed or sucked in version and a relaxed version. Doing both shows both vulnerabilities and progress better than doing just one or the other.

Each picture is side by side, with the left being the STARTING point (Aug 9) and the right being the PROGRESS pic.

Right now both sides are the same.

1 Front Relaxed.jpg

Note the saggy belly in this one. I'm pretty sure this is due to the fat I lost before starting the log. It was only about 15 pounds, but it was a BIG difference in size. I think, later, I'll post a close up of the belt I just stopped using because I shrunk out of it.

2 Front Sucked In.jpg

I didn't know what to do with my arms for the side shots. This is the only pose (as silly as it looks) that gave a good view of my gut.

3 Right Relaxed.jpg

4 Right Sucked In.jpg

5 Left Relaxed.jpg

6 Left Sucked In.jpg

This was a shock to me. I had no idea how much fat was packed onto my lower back. YUCK!

7 Back Relaxed.jpg

Believe it or not, this is me flexing to "show off my lats"! Yeah, pretty embarrassing. But, I expect over the next 8 to 12 weeks I'll start to show a nice V there.

8 Back Flexed.jpg

9 Front Flexed.jpg

And here's my non-existent bicep. I'm looking forward to this pose showing a very nice bicep/tricep bulge and separation in a couple of months.

10 Bicep Flexed.jpg

And now for the most embarrassing and disgusting shot. This truly shows how much fat I'm packing. When I stand up straight and hold my gut in, I seem to be able to hide the worst of it. But, bending over? Yeah, THERE it is.

11 Bent Over.jpg

SO, that's what I'm up against. Wish me luck!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You've got this, bro.

Very good detail and I know how hard posting "before" photos can be from very personal experience. Just know we are all here to support you and help you along.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 4 - morning

I woke at 7:45.
Was unable to force out a BM.
Weighed in at 252. I guess the minor cheat night hurt.

Showered and applied AA.

Full 8 hours sleep. No heartburn or acid reflux. But, I'm still feeling pretty tired.

Legs are feeling a bit better but upper body feeling a bit worse.

Will be hitting the gym for lifting around 1:00, so I'll take Epitome this morning.

And DCP.

9:15a - Thermogum. Big glass of water.
10 roasted almonds

I'm finding the Thermogum helps me while chewing it, but as soon as I stop (usually 30 to 60 minutes), I lose the energy boost and appetite suppressant. My body is probably over-stimmed and building up a resistance. I don't drink coffee, but I've been putting a bit of powdered caffeine in my green drink for months. I assume there's still some fat buring going on, though.

11:45a - 1sc Gold Standard protein / 1sc Casien in 2 cups milk
2 thin slices of hard salami.

3:00p Gym
Big stretch
Full body
felt really tired going in, but ended up lifting pretty strong -- even leg curls.
I was planning on ending with incline treadmill but totally forgot to do it.

Stayed hydrated.
I was pretty disappointed to come back from a hard workout and weigh 251.1. I felt like I worked long and hard enough for a better loss. And my only food intake up to this poing was a small bit of cottage cheese a couple slices of meat, and the protein shake. But, I know I need to not worry about small day to day changes and focus on the long term trend.

5:45p DCP/Epitome

6:15ish - got snacky. Had about 25 roasted almonds. Then a Thermogum.

7:45p
Defuse / Dinner
Dinner was about 2 cups of a homemade chicken casserole (rice, veggies, sour creme, cheese, cream of mushroom soup. 1 buttered toast. 1 glass of raspberry lemonaid.

Just a few almonds after dinner. Green drink. Nicorette. No other snacks.

Bed: 11:45p
EDIT: 12:15a

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
dsade, is it okay to take Epitome soon AFTER a workout? Or, should it be 3 hours away from a workout before and after?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 5 - Friday

Bed last night at 12:15a
Up at 7:30a

SMALL BM (hardly worth the effort!)
Weigh in: 251.4

I'm looking forward to measuring, tomorrow, because even though the scale isn't dropping this week, I feel like my gut and maybe my waist is shrinking. We'll know soon.

Shower
Abliderated Advanced

28 oz water to drink over the next 30 minutes, or so.

A word about AA...

The dosing recommendation of 2 quarter size applications seems like an average recommendation for an average size body. At 49 inches around my gut, I'm going to require more of the goop than someone with a 32 inch circumference.

I'm not sure what the right dose is supposed to feel like on the body, but I'm going to start applying it just slightly less (by feel) than I would sunscreen. I feel like I've not been putting enough on. So, I'm thinking 2.5 or 3 quarter sizes is what I need. Today, I did about 2.5.

The other variable is that the quantity of goop produced by a quarter size depends on how flat or cupped your hand is. So, again, I think using the quarter size is a good starting point to be modified by the feel of a good application on the skin.

I shake it up real good, first. As I apply it, I find something like sand is in it. Not much. Maybe a dozen grains per application. I just rub it in as best I can and let the grains either stick there or let them fall off.

---
Two days ago was my son's birthday, but today is his party with friends. We'll be at a "fun center", where there's a bouncy room, roller skating, and laser tag. So, I think that will be my cardio for the day. I'll make sure I get some good bouncing and skating in. There will be more junk food and pizza (I refuse to call pizza a junk food!), so I'll come armed with Defuse and try to watch my portions. I may also bring some chicken or deli meat and maybe some veggies so I don't overdo it on the junk.

---

Finally had a decent BM.

10:30a 20 roasted almonds

DANG! I forgot to dose Brite and DCP. Doing that now.
Will also have a ThermoGum.

No Nicorette today since I'll have a lot of carbs and nicotine with carbs tends to hold onto fat rather than release it.

I'm on my 2nd Blender Bottle of water, now.

11:00a 2 caps Ultimate Omega

12:30p We left to run errands for the party.
2:00p Party started. I snacked on too many chips and M&Ms and punch.
The combination of needing to watch our stuff and feeling "weighed down" from the junk food, I never quite felt like jumping or skating.
4:00p Defuse/DCP/Epitome
5:00p 2 very small slices of pizza. Really it was probably the equivalent of of half a slice of a dominoes pizza. Fortunately (I guess) it didn't taste very good, so I wasn't even tempted to eat more.

But, I did have few more M&Ms, 1 slice of Oreo Ice Creme Cake (Cold Stones) and just a few more chips and punch.

7:00p I decided I needed to skate off some of those calories, but I had a very frustrating run of luck with the rented skates. They either didn't fit or couldn't lace or were broken in some way. On the third failed attempt, I returned them for a refund. So, no exercise.

9:30p Back home and not feeling at all like going for a walk or run. So, I'll have to make it up tomorrow. Probably resistance plus incline.

I'm feeling a bit embarrassed about my naive goal/hope that I could somehow make 245 by tomorrow.

I'm going to delay my measurements until Sunday to recover from the bloat from tonight's cheat.

---
I ended up binge watching a few tv shows and snacked on more Peanut M&Ms (maybe 10 or 20) plus maybe cup or two of crunchy Cheetos.

Bed at 2:15a (sigh)

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Green Drink

Green drink is a staple for me on my diet. It curbs hunger, quenches thirst, and I believe the alkalization and nutrients are quite beneficial.

My wife hates the taste of it, but to me it's as good as a can of pop (most times).

So, I thought I'd post what's in my green drink.

Fill a 32 oz Blender Bottle with water, some ice, and...

1 sc green powder (GreenShield by AlkaVision)
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
1 tbsp Sugar Free Torani or DaVinci Flavored Syrup (Mango or Pineapple are my faves. Vanilla is good, too.)
2 drops Orange flavored Stevia

Here's a picture of the products:

Green Drink.jpg

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Day 6 - Saturday

Woke at 10:15a

Bowel Movement
Weight: 251.4

Showered.
Abliderated Advanced
DCP
Brite

One oddness. Every so often, when I shake the Brite bottle, it leaks and sends drops of it everywhere. I don't know why or how it does that. I've not loosened the lid. It hasn't been laying horizontal. Baffles me. But, I'm probably going to wrap the lid with toilet paper from now on when I shake it.

Noon: Epitome
1:30p 1 oz deli roast beef. 8 black olives
Green drink

1:45p Thermogum
2:00p Some physical work grinding kitty litter with a brick into oil stains in the garage and driveway. Got a bit of a sweat. Some dripping. Not drenched.

Moved some furniture between floors (remember we just moved).

4:00p DCP/Brite
Drove to gym.
It's 30 minutes away. I'll be switching to one that's just 10 minutes away within a week or two.
10 mins stretching
5 min warm up walk on treadmill
Did my standard full body workout
felt much stronger. Pushed a bit harder on the last set.
20 mins incline treadmill

My wife called to say we had family over and asked me to meet them at a restaurant for dinner.

I wasn't able to take Defuse prior dinner because I went straight from the gym

It was a mexican restaurant.

I ordered a fire grilled steak salad. Sugar free lemonade.

I was plenty full when I headed home.
The restaurant has a calorie calculator online.
Est: 1600 calories
Plus, I had about 530 calories earlier in the day, including protein shake.
Total: 2130

My most recent calorie calculator indicates Maintenance is 2869 calories.
Weight loss target calories: 2295

Scale after dinner: 252.5

I'll do body measurements tomorrow. No progress on the scale, so I'm hoping to see some progress in body size.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Woke at 10:15a

One oddness. Every so often, when I shake the Brite bottle, it leaks and sends drops of it everywhere. I don't know why or how it does that. I've not loosened the lid. It hasn't been laying horizontal. Baffles me. But, I'm probably going to wrap the lid with toilet paper from now on when I shake it.
KAPrice, I am sorry I haven't seen this sooner. I LOVE evomuse products and I have had a TON of support from this board. I know putting up photos is very hard, but this board is really great and supportive and I don't think anyone thinks anything bad - we are all trying to do the same thing in some way and we are all on the same path. Without the before photos, there can be no after photos and no success.

Your thorough process is awesome. I wish I had as good photos for my log. I am in for the ride. Can't wait to see the after photos. I expect a lot of big things.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 7 - Sunday

Bed last night at 11:45p
Up this morning at 7:15a
Shower
Abliderated Advanced
Brite/DCP

Weight: 250.1

12oz water

3 hours of church

12:30p
2 oz Roast Beef
1/2 cup cottage cheese
5 Kalimari Olives
6 grapes

12 roasted almonds
DCP/Brite/Epitome

This new batch of Brite tastes like Icy Hot

I measured my body. I'm pretty happy with some of measurements. I highlighted those in yellow.

2016-08-14_18-03-32.png

6:30p Dinner
1 crepe with fruit & toppings
1 crepe with butter only
2 oz roast beef deli slice

My workout, yesterday, was reasonably tough yet my body feels fairly recovered. I'm stoked about that. I believe it means my body is already STARTING to adjust to the resistance loads and is recovering faster.

So, I can probably start to push myself a bit harder. I still have to be careful of injuries, though. That's the frustrating part. I get to the point where most of my muscles can handle higher weights but the few weak spots threaten to get injured.

Yesterday I noticed 3 vulnerable spots:

1) Left hamstring. It's just one area the size of a silver dollar that keeps threatening to pull.

2) Left shoulder. I was feeling really good on the flat dumbbell press and was at a new high this round (IOW, not counting the last time I worked on getting in shape). But, my left shoulder never quite "released" and it felt like it might get injured any moment.

3) Left inner elbow. I mostly notice this during curls. It feels a bit like tennis elbow.

11:20p
DCP/Ammo/Brite

Hmmm... seeing it all listed out, it's clear the left side of my body is in bad shape!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bed last night at 11:45p
Up this morning at 7:15a
Shower
Abliderated Advanced
Brite/DCP

Weight: 250.1

12oz water

3 hours of church

2 oz Roast Beef
1/2 cup cottage cheese
5 Kalimari Olives
6 grapes

12 roasted almonds
DCP/Brite/Epitome

This new batch of Brite tastes like Icy Hot

I measured my body. I'm pretty happy with some of measurements. I highlighted those in yellow.

View attachment 139120
Love all the measurement and details my man. Is that all you ate today?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Is that all you ate today?
That and a green drink.

My theory is by not eating much during the day, it allows me to get pleasantly full and not be quite so strict with less-clean foods and still stay within my deficit.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 8 - Monday

Bed last night at 1:00a
Up at 8:15a
Decent BM
Weight: 250.4

I'm pretty happy with that weight for pre-workout.

Showered
Ab Ad (Abliderated Advanced)

Plan is to limit calories to Green Drink and Pre-Workout shake until 2:00 and then hit the gym.

I'm going to continue doing full body workouts until my PRs gets heavy enough to warrant moving to split body parts. But for now, I'm really just getting my muscles used to working out again.

9:00a
Brite/DCP
2 caps Nordic Ultimate Omega

9:50a
Green drink

11:00a
Energy level is pretty good. Not feeling tired.
starting to feel a little snacky.
time for Epitome and Thermogum
another small BM

11:48a
Nicorette

15 roasted almonds (90 calories)

12:45p
2.1 oz deli roast beef (154 calories) -- this actually made me feel satisfied, almost full.
Green drink (appx 28 calories) -- I tend to sip on these over the span of an hour or so.

1:15p
15 more roasted almonds

2:00p
10 more roasted almonds

2:20p
Thermogum

2:45p
Packing up and heading to the gym
Pre-WO shake in water (w/ 1/2 frozen peach)

Got back from the gym around 6:30p
Good workout. By the time I got to the last exercise (one handed dumbbell rows), I was wiped.
Stretched again. Then 17 minutes incline treadmill (stepped up to incline of 7. Stayed there varying between a speed of 3 and 3.2. Stepped down to flat again. Pretty tiring.

I was sweaty like walking through mist. I don't know why I'm not drenched and dripping after these workouts when taking DCP/Brite.

After the treadmill, I took a 10 min session on a hydrabed massage. I was so wiped, I actually fell asleep on it for a bit. But, I felt pretty refreshed afterwards. Showered and headed home.

I increased most of my weights.
Something to the right of my groin complained and threatened to injure during my squats.
My left shoulder was better but definitely made sure I knew it was there.
And while babying my left ham, my right ham started complaining during leg curls.

Family was finished dinner when I got home.

Took DCP.
Ate a large bowl of homemade pizza salad.
I didn't take measurements, but I'd say
1/2 ground sausage
1 or 2 oz of pepperoni
1/4 cup black olives
1/8 cup cheese
bunch of lettuce
bottled ranch dressing -- maybe 4 to 6 tbsp

Then I decided to have a small dessert: 1/2 Captain Crunch cereal with 1/4 cup whole milk.

It's now 7:15p and I'm feeling pretty tired and unmotivated to get back to work.

So, I'm going to take
Thermogum
Noopept
Phenylpiracetam
and if I need to, after the Thermogum, Nicorette

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That and a green drink.

My theory is by not eating much during the day, it allows me to get pleasantly full and not be quite so strict with less-clean foods and still stay within my deficit.
You are taking a somewhat similar approach to what I have been doing, although I have been following a PSMF. But my thinking, deep down, is that if I have a cheat meal it won't have as much impact because my deficit is already so large. It is actually easy once you get used to it. Just make sure you're eating enough protein and micronutrients. No need to get sick.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
You are taking a somewhat similar approach to what I have been doing, although I have been following a PSMF. But my thinking, deep down, is that if I have a cheat meal it won't have as much impact because my deficit is already so large. It is actually easy once you get used to it. Just make sure you're eating enough protein and micronutrients. No need to get sick.
The difference is that I'm not letting myself feel deprived. Ever. When I start to feel hungry, I do something about it. Hopefully something healthy and supportive.

I usually find it pretty easy to have no food before noon. My cravings from noon to dinner time fluctuates between non existent and somewhat urgent, but mostly manageable.

And then I get to enjoy a very tasty meal in high enough portions that I feel satisfied and sometimes even full.

So, I get none of the frantic feelings of deprivation I used to get on other diets -- the kind that tend to make me binge and give up on after a 3 or 4 weeks because I hate how I feel. I don't know how you are able to maintain your ultra restrictive diet. I can't tell if I'm impressed or appalled! :)

So far, I'm really enjoying the way I'm eating now. It remains to be seen, however, how effective it will be in aiding my fat loss.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed! Let's see if you can pull it off!
Awesome log, lot of details and congrats for having the balls to put your pics up!
It's a marathon, not a sprint and a lifelong commitment to keep in shape so don't get depressed if weight loss takes a bit longer than anticipated.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Subbed! Let's see if you can pull it off!
Awesome log, lot of details and congrats for having the balls to put your pics up!
It's a marathon, not a sprint and a lifelong commitment to keep in shape so don't get depressed if weight loss takes a bit longer than anticipated.
Absolutely right.

Over the past couple of decades, I have a pattern of gaining so much weight I disgust myself. I get on a program. After 8 weeks I don't look "too bad" anymore so my commitment waivers.

More recently I've stopped around 8 weeks because I keep getting some kind of injury.

But, I'm fully committed this time. I'm going to hit 215 and let my body stabalize there for a while. Once that becomes my "new norm", I'll evaluate if I want to go lower.

I wrestled and ran cross country (poorly) in high school. I was a fairly thin and strong 185 pounds at the age of 20.

So, 215 "feels" like it would a comfortable weight that would look great and allow me to be functionally strong and have some nicely defines muscles and no spare tire.

I've no desire to get shredded or hulked.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
QUESTION: Balancing ham and quad

I'm lifting quite a bit more during leg extensions than I am leg curls.

Does that mean my legs are out of balance?

Should I be doing more to make my curls match my extensions?

If so, what?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm lifting quite a bit more during leg extensions than I am leg curls.

Does that mean my legs are out of balance?

Should I be doing more to make my curls match my extensions?

If so, what?
I don't think they need to match, not many people can curl what they do on extensions.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Absolutely right.

Over the past couple of decades, I have a pattern of gaining so much weight I disgust myself. I get on a program. After 8 weeks I don't look "too bad" anymore so my commitment waivers.

More recently I've stopped around 8 weeks because I keep getting some kind of injury.

But, I'm fully committed this time. I'm going to hit 215 and let my body stabalize there for a while. Once that becomes my "new norm", I'll evaluate if I want to go lower.

I wrestled and ran cross country (poorly) in high school. I was a fairly thin and strong 185 pounds at the age of 20.

So, 215 "feels" like it would a comfortable weight that would look great and allow me to be functionally strong and have some nicely defines muscles and no spare tire.

No matter what, weight loss comes half as slow as you expect. I was reading on Lyle Macdonalds site about how most people who have 70+ pounds get half way, things get harder, and they quit; disappointed in themselves. Like 35+ pounds of fat loss is a disappointment. The honeymoon will be fun, the second half is where you find what you are made of. I have faith in you.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I don't think they need to match, not many people can curl what they do on extensions.
I did a quick Google and it appears normal, healthy ratio is 80% of quad. I'm probably close to that.

But, there are certainly articles that warn about having too much of an imbalance. They say when quads overpower hams, the hams, pelvis, and/or lower back are more susceptible to injury.

Here's interesting article about correcting the imbalance.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-ways-to-build-bigger-stronger-hamstrings.html

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I did a quick Google and it appears normal, healthy ratio is 80% of quad. I'm probably close to that.

But, there are certainly articles that warn about having too much of an imbalance. They say when quads overpower hams, the hams, pelvis, and/or lower back are more susceptible to injury.

Here's interesting article about correcting the imbalance.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-ways-to-build-bigger-stronger-hamstrings.html
Yes, imbalances can cause all sorts of issues. I just put the weight on a leg extension setup on a bench, not an actual machine, but I can't do half what I do for extensions. I can do straight legged deadlifts with 275 pounds though for reps.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely right.

I don't know if I missed it, -or not, what do you attribute your past weight gain to?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I missed it, -or not, what do you attribute your past weight gain to?
I never said. :)

I was in great shape when I married at 24. Mostly from having an office job, eating lots of junk food (a full bag of chips a few candybars was common in a single sitting).

Plus I'd gain 5 to 10 pounds each time my wife got pregnant. She'd lose the weight after birth and I wouldn't.

I guess I gained around 80 pounds since I married. I turn 55 next month. So, I probably averaged 2 to 5 pound gain a year over the past 26 years. I've bounced up and down from 240 to my my high of 267 over the past 10 to 12 years.

So, the first 15 years was sort of a slow gain that was easy to slip by major notice.

I'm a programmer, so I sit all day. And, I'd go months without working out. And when I'd get back into it, I'd stop after 4 to 8 weeks for injury or lack of drive at various times.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I think my biggest problem is that I don't look too bad at 235 (by my sloppy standards). That's when my lack of disgust when I look in the mirror causes me to get lax.

If I've been good in my diet and hitting the gym hard for several weeks, and I stop working out and start eating badly, it doesn't show up on the scale for a couple of weeks. So, I trick myself into thinking I'm not doing any damage. Then when the scale start rising, I've lost the groove and I tend to not get back into it until I'm disgusted again.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So stop basing your goals on how you look and raise your standards. Expect more of yourself. You will have people see what you accomplish and if you show them something is possible that they didn't believe, you will inspire them to be better.

Strive for something you don't think is possible.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Yep, that's where I am now. I was just explaining what's happened in the past. As I've said, I'm committed to 215 by the end of the year. Hopefully sooner. And, I want stabilize there for a while.

I'd really love to look like my avatar. That's Daniel Craig in (I think) his first Bond movie.

No six pack. But no hanging gut and no love handles. Bulky chest. Great shoulders and arms.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
DAY 9 - Tuesday

Bed last night at 2a (gotta stop that!)
Up at 8:30a
Feel like I got a full sleep. Fairly refreshed and energetic.

Small BM
Weight: 249.7
That's a new pre-workout record -- whenever I say it's a new record or new low, I don't mean over my lifetime. I mean since I started working on this round of weight loss.

Brite/AA/DCP

32 oz water. Like Green Drink, I nurse this over an hour or so.

My muscles do not feel overly sore from yesterday's lifting. I'm still feeling the bit of a pull (or complaint, really) from the right of my groin.

Even though I believe I can handle going heavier, I think I'm going to stay with the same weights for a few workouts to give those 2 or 3 weak spots (that keep threatening to be injured) a chance to get stronger/looser/more ready for the loads.

I'll jog/walk a hilly mile and a half today.

11:30ish
.4 mile warm up walk
stretch
1 mile jog/walk - hilly - in 11 mins 35 secs.
MapMyRun (MMR) says the half mile lap has a 24 foot elevation gain
For the most part, I walked the inclines and ran the declines.
though I did take portions of the inclines at a jog.
.25 mile cool down walk home

after a rest, a very small BM, and a shower
weight: 247.9
a new low

Again, I'm really hoping to hit 245 by Saturday.

442 calories burned according to MMR.
I've yet to consume any calories.

1:00p
I'm about to have a green drink
2 caps Ultimate Omega
then Thermogum

2:00p Feeling tired. Nap.

3:15p
2 oz deli roast beef
2 oz colby cheese
1/4 cup cottage cheese
20 roasted almonds
10 lays potato chips
Gold Standard Whey protein in 1.5 cups whole milk and 1/2 frozen peach

That puts me at 923 calories for the day, so far.

and I'm feeling satiated.

3:35p DCP/Epitome/Brite

6:00p
Defuse. Epitome.
Dinner. Chicken & Lentil Pea stewish soup. Not very tasty so it was easy to watch my portions.
then a small bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats (for dessert). That was to reward my taste buds for getting through the Lentil Peas (I really dislike those). :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What does your weight lifting routine look like?

I will say that one of the best things I ever did to get rid of a bunch of nagging groin, abdominal and lower back pains is squat every other day. Start light and work your way up, after a couple weeks you'll be sitting there one day and notice that all those little pains that once bothered you if you moved a certain way are just gone....

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
What does your weight lifting routine look like?

I will say that one of the best things I ever did to get rid of a bunch of nagging groin, abdominal and lower back pains is squat every other day. Start light and work your way up, after a couple weeks you'll be sitting there one day and notice that all those little pains that once bothered you if you moved a certain way are just gone....
Each body part has four sets
12 Light - easy warm up
10 Medium - a bit harder

When the 6th rep on the last set isn't hard enough (because I guessed wrong on the weight), I do more reps until it was a struggle.

Machine squats
Machine leg extensions
Dumbbell standing curls
Machine leg curl
Dumbbell standing tricep lifts
Dumbbell horizontal, one handed row

I do worry about squats because I really hurt myself a few years ago on a squat. I was doing great. New PRs. Feeling strong. And, BOOM, ham pull. No warning. Knocked me out for months.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
BTW, with today's weigh in of 247.9, that's a total of 19 pounds from my high (which was about 3 months ago).

It's about 2 pounds since the start of this log.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said. :)

I was in great shape when I married at 24. Mostly from having an office job, eating lots of junk food (a full bag of chips a few candybars was common in a single sitting).

Plus I'd gain 5 to 10 pounds each time my wife got pregnant. She'd lose the weight after birth and I wouldn't.

I guess I gained around 80 pounds since I married. I turn 55 next month. So, I probably averaged 2 to 5 pound gain a year over the past 26 years. I've bounced up and down from 240 to my my high of 267 over the past 10 to 12 years.

So, the first 15 years was sort of a slow gain that was easy to slip by major notice.

I'm a programmer, so I sit all day. And, I'd go months without working out. And when I'd get back into it, I'd stop after 4 to 8 weeks for injury or lack of drive at various times.
I think my biggest problem is that I don't look too bad at 235 (by my sloppy standards). That's when my lack of disgust when I look in the mirror causes me to get lax.

If I've been good in my diet and hitting the gym hard for several weeks, and I stop working out and start eating badly, it doesn't show up on the scale for a couple of weeks. So, I trick myself into thinking I'm not doing any damage. Then when the scale start rising, I've lost the groove and I tend to not get back into it until I'm disgusted again.
First step is to admitting the cause, you got that covered!
If you diet and train long enough, a change in your eating habit happens, -or it did to me. Took about a year, suddenly I don't like the taste of "bad" foods as much, no more cravings here, hopefully this happens for you too!
The injury's, well, you have to start slowly, at our age we are brittle, lol. Worst is when you finally get confident and attack the equipment mercilessly, then BOOM - injury.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Each body part has four sets
12 Light - easy warm up
10 Medium - a bit harder

When the 6th rep on the last set isn't hard enough (because I guessed wrong on the weight), I do more reps until it was a struggle.

Machine squats
Machine leg extensions
Dumbbell standing curls
Machine leg curl
Dumbbell standing tricep lifts
Dumbbell horizontal, one handed row

I do worry about squats because I really hurt myself a few years ago on a squat. I was doing great. New PRs. Feeling strong. And, BOOM, ham pull. No warning. Knocked me out for months.
IMHO, instead of a heavy last set, I would do 3 sets with moderate weights and one rest pause set after the third set. With heavy weights injury is around the corner. Just my opinion.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
suddenly I don't like the taste of "bad" foods as much, no more cravings here
Yeah, I'm sort of in between right now. And, I kind of like it here. I still enjoy the bad foods, but I seldom get a big craving for them. There are a few possible reasons for that.

a) Because I allow myself small quantities every so often (a dozen chips, a scoop of ice creme, etc) I don't get into that feeling of manic deprivation.

b) Aging taste buds.

c) The daily lemon in my green drinks, the nicorette, and the thermogum are desensitizing my taste buds.

I suspect it's a bit of all three.

The injury's, well, you have to start slowly, at our age we are brittle, lol. Worst is when you finally get confident and attack the equipment mercilessly, then BOOM - injury.
Yeah, that's been my biggest frustration over the past 10 years. Prior to that, I always knew I could hit the gym hard whenever I need to get less disgusting. And I knew the only downside would be sore muscles for a day or two. Then I started getting injured. Like you said -- feeling strong and then out of the blue, TWANG!

The first one was about 10 years ago. I'd been doing HIIT on the treadmill. I was feeling strong and sprinting at speed speed of 9 when my hamstring gave out. That laid me up for a few months. When I started back on weights, I was careful with leg exercises for a while, but was starting to feel strong. So, I began going for personal records. I'd hit one every week or so. During a PR on squats I felt that same hamstring give out. Fortunately, I was near pins and had a bench below my butt.

That hamstring has never felt the same, even after all these years, I still feel like it could go out on me at any time. After a few years I thought it was behind me but it went out as I rushed to catch an errant Frisbee. No more sprints for me. I can still do elipticals and stationary bikes, though.

Shoulder and elbow are the other vulnerable spots for me now. It sucks because the rest of my body gets to the point where it enjoys pushing the limits.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, instead of a heavy last set, I would do 3 sets with moderate weights and one rest pause set after the third set. With heavy weights injury is around the corner. Just my opinion.
You're probably right. This is a modified version of a workout I learned (and loved) maybe 15 years ago from Body For Life. It's hard to let go of that.

But, you're not saying you got that chest and those massive arms doing 3 sets of moderate weights, are you? I'd find that hard to believe.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I'm TRUSTING that the EvoMuse stack is working. I don't FEEL any different.

I don't notice by body getting hot.
I don't think my appetite is less.
I don't seem to sweat more during a workout.

But, my body is shrinking, so I'm fine with giving the stack credit for that.

I suppose I'd have a better comparison if I took a couple weeks off the stack to see how I feel then. But, I'm not willing to risk derailing my progress for that experiment.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would slow down and lighten the load and work on form. It is near impossible to hurt yourself lifting with good form. You hurt yourself twisting and throwing and swinging weights that you cannot control. Heavy is fine as long as you control it. Most people don't think about it, but the force is enormous when you get momentum. For instance you explode out of a bench press with 200 pounds and the explosion moves the weight up. You have momentum going against gravity, which eventually will reverse and come crashing down on your muscles and joints - we are talking thousands of pounds worth of impact force directly on the muscle for a brief time - enough to do some serious damage.

Start squatting really light. Just do your normal rep range with a really light weight...empty bar even, and focus on form and getting full range. Then every workout increase by 20 pounds. Your overall body strength and muscle balance will improve dramatically. Squat 3 times a week until the weights start getting heavy.

When I was a teenager I hurt my back, so I stopped doing deadlifts. My hurt back became a constant issue. Finally one day I started doing heavy deadlifts again and stopped fearing it - and I stopped having back or problems.

It's like reverse Stockhausen syndrome. We become slave to the very inactivity that made us weak and lazy and caused the pain to begin with, believing it keeps us safe and not seeing that it is really the cause of our pain.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You're probably right. This is a modified version of a workout I learned (and loved) maybe 15 years ago from Body For Life. It's hard to let go of that.

But, you're not saying you got that chest and those massive arms doing 3 sets of moderate weights, are you? I'd find that hard to believe.
HGP and I have discussed this and I think where we agree is that intensity, bringing the set to muscular failure, is what is important. Moderate weights in the 50-70% of 1RM range to failure will stimulate growth as long as you build in progression. 70-90% has a place too. IMO I would start light and plan regular progression so that at the beginning of a cycle you are doing say, 60% of your 1 rm for 12-15 reps and then as you increase weights, if you progress fast enough, you will eventually be doing 90% for 4-6 reps. Then start over.

This is similar to the HST setup and I think it makes some sense.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty confident in my form. I never swing, always controlled. Body For Life hit that pretty hard.

Up: 1,2, pause half a second, down 3, 2, 1

When my hamstring blew on the squats, I was in perfect form. But, the ham was still weak from the sprinting pull several months prior.

I was on about week 6 or 7 when the squat injury occurred. I did start with very low weights and worked up to that point.

But, I'll give your recommendations some more thought.

One thing to keep in mind is that, at my weight, doing standing squats, even without the bar is already NOT LIGHT. :)