Getting Psyched - Sponsored

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Alright, this is my first log. I want to thank Iron Champ for sending me a bottle of Psyched to try out. It's been over a year since I purchased a preworkout supplement, as the last few that I have tried seemed to make little to no difference to me. Just seemed like a waste of money.

So I just moved to a town with an elevation of 7,500+ feet, from the Houston, TX area, with an elevation of about 5 feet, haha. I've lived at or around sea level for my entire life, so this transition has been bad for me, to say it nicely. I've lost 8 lbs since I've been here, a mix of fat and muscle. With it went my strength. My workouts the first few weeks were often cut short since I had to take extended rest periods just to catch my breath again, then I'd only be halfway through my plan and already an hour spent. Needless to say, motivation suffered, which made things worse. I asked to try Psyched to see if it could help with energy levels now that I'm slowly getting used to the thin air. I can get through a workout now, but it's still taking longer than it used to. I'm getting there...

Stats
Height: 6'
Weight: 174 lbs (down from 184 when I left Houston)
Diet:
I try to hit my goal of 170-200g protein/day, then fill in the rest with low carb/moderate fat or high carb/low fat, depending on workout days.

I'm getting back on a Wendler program to try to build some of my strength back up to where it was several months ago. I can't imagine I'll set any PR's during my log of Psyched, but I'm hoping it helps me get closer to where I was, and on my way to setting new PR's. I quit my job in Houston and moved here so my wife could get the best possible start to her career possible. She has a PhD, so I felt it was only fair for her to make use of all that school. While I am job hunting up here, I have begun a Masters program. That said, the time off allows me to workout mid-morning for now.

Day 1:
I had about a cup and a half of coffee, then popped 1 capsule of Psyched about 30 minutes later, then hit the gym.

Wendler: Bench (5/3/1 week)
I've decided to switch from a wide grip (index on the rings) to a more shoulder width grip (pinkies just inside the rings) for a few cycles to see how I do. This also set my numbers back a little bit.

Weight x reps x sets
140 x 5 x 1
160 x 3 x 1
165 x 3 x 1
Working set: 180 x 13 x 1
195 x 3 x 2

Slight incline DB press
Concentrating again on keeping elbows tucked and a narrow "grip" with a slow descend
60 x 10 x 4

Chins super set with DB shoulder raises, about 10-15 sec rest between, then 2 min rest between supersets. Again, still hard for me to catch my breath here.
BW x 10
15lb DB x 15
BW x 10
15lb DB x 15
BW+15 x 6
15lb DB x 15
BW+15 x 7
15lb DB x 16

BB row
135 x 10 x 4

French press
70 x 10 x 3

Seated DB Curls
30 x 10 x 2
30 x 12 x 1

Overall, these weights are low for me, as I mentioned before. However, this is definitely the first time I've completed an entire workout while I've been here, and while I felt physically beat at the end, I didn't feel like I needed to go take a nap or anything. By the time I got home, I still had plenty of energy. I can't say for sure it was the Psyched just yet, but I can say that it was the best workout I've had here so far. I'm definitely hoping the Psyched played a role! I'm not sure if it is supposed to, but my arms were definitely more pumped at the end than they've been in a LONG time. I almost forgot what that felt like!

Hoping to get a workout in tomorrow, mid morning again. We just found out my wife is pregnant, so our first appointment with the doctor is tomorrow morning :bigeyes2: . I think it's just to verify she's pregnant and answer any initial questions we have. I'm hoping it won't take but an hour or so. I'll try 2 caps of Psyched as soon as the appointment is over and hit the gym if it isn't too late in the day. Squats is next on the list, and there's only one squat rack in there. You can pretty much plan on the rack being occupied between 11-6 every day.

Til then...

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd. Congrats on the big news. Good luck with the doctor's appt!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
1st off congrats!!!

2nd you are off to a great start, thank you for being so detailed!!!

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subb'd
Congrats on the great news man!
Super strong first post to put in your log. Awesome and thanks.
Speaking of altitude I was considering buying one of those restriction masks to do workouts in.
Could only help right.

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Subb'd
Congrats on the great news man!
Super strong first post to put in your log. Awesome and thanks.
Speaking of altitude I was considering buying one of those restriction masks to do workouts in.
Could only help right.
Haha that seems a little too hardcore to me. I hated working out the first 4-5 weeks I was here. This is week 6 and I'm only just now able to get a full workout in without getting light headed or feeling sick to my stomach. I left the gym several times in the first three weeks after I knocked out my main lift because of one of the two of those. However, if you have been doing regular cardio, you'd be better off than I. In Houston, I only ever went on walks with my dog or rode my stationary bike for 20 minutes or so 1-2x/week. That was about the extent of my cardio haha.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haha that seems a little too hardcore to me. I hated working out the first 4-5 weeks I was here. This is week 6 and I'm only just now able to get a full workout in without getting light headed or feeling sick to my stomach. I left the gym several times in the first three weeks after I knocked out my main lift because of one of the two of those. However, if you have been doing regular cardio, you'd be better off than I. In Houston, I only ever went on walks with my dog or rode my stationary bike for 20 minutes or so 1-2x/week. That was about the extent of my cardio haha.
i find that doing cardio pays off in the gym, but i actually like cardio!!!

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Mine gets walks.

Although, the first couple times i took mine for a walk up here, we were both laid out on the floor in the living room panting for 10 min when we got back. Hills + elevation is a B.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Mine gets walks.

Although, the first couple times i took mine for a walk up here, we were both laid out on the floor in the living room panting for 10 min when we got back. Hills + elevation is a B.
are you around the denver area???????

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Day 2

Only had about a cup of coffee this morning before leaving for the doctor, then took the 2 caps of Psyched about 2.5 hours later.

Today was my 5/3/1 squat day (first cycle since going back to a Wendler routine). My squat (and deadlift for that matter) is pretty weak now. I had a knee injury that kept me from squatting anything over 115 for about 4 months then a groin injury about a year later that hurt for about 4-5 months. It's only just gone away in the last couple of months, but I've been scared of pulling it again, because it was major painful. Getting old sucks.

Did a quick 6 min warmup on the bike at what I would consider slightly above a medium pace. Got the blood flowing, body temp up a little, ready to go.

Squat 5/3/1
140 x 5
155 x 3
160 x 3
175 x 10

Energy was great through my last set, but I still haven't adjusted to the elevation. The last set, I think I paused after rep 6 then again after rep 8 and busted out the final 2 reps. The pause was because I was out of breath, not because the weight was particularly heavy. It's probably the most I've done in 4-5 months though, so I'll take it. I racked the weight and immediately sat on a bench to take some deep breaths. I HATE leg days up here!

I followed the 5/3/1 sets up with 4 sets of 10 reps with 135 and shorter rest periods. Again, plenty of energy, short on breath.

Leg press
2 sets of 12 reps
1 set of 14 reps

Calve raise machine
3 sets of 15 reps.

Weighted DB situps.
2 sets of 10.

Overall good workout, and probably one of if not the best leg workout I've had since moving here. I got in the gym a little later than expected and it started to get pretty crowded at the end of my workout, so I wrapped it up after my situps and left. It's a tiny gym. I've been home for about an hour and I still feel great. No crash. No jitter. So far I am a fan! Tomorrow I'm driving up to southern CO to meet a buddy from back home at his summer house for a day of fishing. If I get back in time on Sunday, I'll try to get my 5/3/1 shoulder workout in. If not, it'll be on Monday. Planning to leave early AM, so I may just pop a cap or two for the drive up to keep my ass awake.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
glad to hear psyched is helping to get your workouts back on track!!!

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Day 2

Only had about a cup of coffee this morning before leaving for the doctor, then took the 2 caps of Psyched about 2.5 hours later.

Today was my 5/3/1 squat day (first cycle since going back to a Wendler routine). My squat (and deadlift for that matter) is pretty weak now. I had a knee injury that kept me from squatting anything over 115 for about 4 months then a groin injury about a year later that hurt for about 4-5 months. It's only just gone away in the last couple of months, but I've been scared of pulling it again, because it was major painful. Getting old sucks.

Did a quick 6 min warmup on the bike at what I would consider slightly above a medium pace. Got the blood flowing, body temp up a little, ready to go.

Squat 5/3/1
140 x 5
155 x 3
160 x 3
175 x 10

Energy was great through my last set, but I still haven't adjusted to the elevation. The last set, I think I paused after rep 6 then again after rep 8 and busted out the final 2 reps. The pause was because I was out of breath, not because the weight was particularly heavy. It's probably the most I've done in 4-5 months though, so I'll take it. I racked the weight and immediately sat on a bench to take some deep breaths. I HATE leg days up here!

I followed the 5/3/1 sets up with 4 sets of 10 reps with 135 and shorter rest periods. Again, plenty of energy, short on breath.

Leg press
2 sets of 12 reps
1 set of 14 reps

Calve raise machine
3 sets of 15 reps.

Weighted DB situps.
2 sets of 10.

Overall good workout, and probably one of if not the best leg workout I've had since moving here. I got in the gym a little later than expected and it started to get pretty crowded at the end of my workout, so I wrapped it up after my situps and left. It's a tiny gym. I've been home for about an hour and I still feel great. No crash. No jitter. So far I am a fan! Tomorrow I'm driving up to southern CO to meet a buddy from back home at his summer house for a day of fishing. If I get back in time on Sunday, I'll try to get my 5/3/1 shoulder workout in. If not, it'll be on Monday. Planning to leave early AM, so I may just pop a cap or two for the drive up to keep my ass awake.
That sounds like a good leg day. It's doesn't have to be heavy to do the job. I'm with you on the "getting old sucks!" I usually need to wear a knee brace on leg days if I want to squat above 200.
Good workout.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That sounds like a good leg day. It's doesn't have to be heavy to do the job. I'm with you on the "getting old sucks!" I usually need to wear a knee brace on leg days if I want to squat above 200.
Good workout.
9/16/58

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Sorry it took me so long to get in here. Congratulations on the baby! Good job on your log so far.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
everything ok, machwon?

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, been real busy. I'll post days 3 and 4 though.

Day 3
5/3/1 week for standing OHP
100 x 5
110 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 7 reps

95 x 4 sets of 10 reps superset with rear delt db raises - 20 x 15 x 4.

4 sets of pullups
BW+20 x 7 reps x 5 sets

BB curls
75 x 8 x 4

Energy was great! My rest periods between sets was a little shorter than they have been. A little disappointed with my weights, but it was a good workout overall. Energy was sustained throughout the workout. Took the dogs for a walk when I got back to the house.

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Day 4

This was supposed to be my "backoff" week. Like I mentioned before, my gym is tiny. Doing deadlifts takes up like a quarter of the weight room haha. I didn't want to be in the way over a few sets of light deadlifts, so I did a quick workout at the house.

Trap bar deadlifts
225 x 10 x 5 sets

DB lunges
This is probably the first time I've done lunges since my summer baseball training camps when I was in middle school. I was a little off balance to say the least.
35 lb db's - 10 reps each leg for 3 sets

Ab work

Aside from deadlifts still killing me at this elevation, my energy was great. Still a matter of catching my breath, not a lack of energy. The weight felt light, but so did my head haha. I had been working on homework most of the day, so I hadn't eaten much, and my energy levels were definitely down from all the boring reading. I definitely think the Psyched helped me get through the workout, as short as it was. Without the energy boost, it's likely I would have skipped it all together. Liking it so far!

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Day 5
Saturday - woke up early after about 7 hours of terrible sleep - tossed and turned most of the night. Had about a cup and a half of coffee, waited 30 minutes, then took the Psyched. Again, this is supposed to be my backoff week. Since I had almost 2 weeks off during my wedding/honeymoon, I'm just switching up my lifts and rep ranges a little instead. Before moving here, I was working out with what I had at the house, so I hadn't done dumbbells for anything other than curls in probably 7-8 months.

Instead of the light BB bench work, I decided to do some DB bench press. It had been a while.
I warmed up and slowly moved up to the 85's. I think I did 3 sets of 5 with the 85's, then I backed off and did 4 sets of 10 with the 65's, concentrating on keeping a more narrow "grip" than I used to. I also controlled the weight more coming down for a little more time under tension.

Then I did chins
BW + 20 x 8 reps x 4 sets

Seated DB French Press
75 x 10 x 3 sets
Superset with seated DB curls
35 x 10 x 3 sets

Seated hammer strength machine rows, palms facing each other
3 sets of 15 reps (don't remember the weight used, but I do remember the burn and pump that followed)

Overall, another good workout. I know I should probably take it easy this week like Wendler says to, but this being the first 4-week cycle after my extended time off, I wanted to put a little more work in than the routine calls for. Despite the terrible night's sleep, Psyched definitely helped the energy levels and focus in the gym. I probably would have been useless without it. I did get about an hour long nap on the couch late in the afternoon.

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad everything is cool.
Back on!!! Good workouts Machwon & thanks for updating.

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Day 6 (6-9-2015)

"Back-off" Squats

After staying up to watch my Aggies lose in the bottom of the 16th inning, I got about 6 hours of sleep. I had about a cup and a half of coffee and took my Psyched about 45 min later. I don't think I've mentioned yet that I have been working out on an empty stomach. The thin air has often made me feel sick in the middle of my workouts, so I didn't want to worry about hurling breakfast back up in the middle of the weight room. I have been putting about 10-12g bcaa in a full shaker bottle and sipping on it throughout my workout.

Rather than stick to the "back-off weights," I decided to give the main lift of the 5/3/1 workout another shot. I definitely had more in the tank this time, though still had to pause for a couple of breaths between reps as I got higher in the rep range.

140 x 5
155 x 3
160 x 3
175 x 12 (2 more reps than last week. I think I probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more, with a couple of deep breaths, but I was getting fairly light headed at that point)

Then I dropped the weight to 135 and greatly widened my stance for 3 sets of 10. Felt pretty good.

The rest of the workout was more in line with a "back-off" week. Just did a couple of sets at higher reps to get a nice pump.

2 sets of 20 reps on Leg Press, narrow stance. 2 45's and a 25 on each side. Burned like crazy.

Weighted ab machine superset with calf raise machine, 2 sets each.

Overall great energy despite the lack of sleep. I'm looking forward to the beginning of cycle 2 later this week.

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Day 7

"back-off" OHP

I decided to change it up a little for the back-off day and do seated smith machine military press.
I also decided I wanted to spend a little more time on triceps today

3 sets of 6 reps with a 45 and 10 on each side of the bar
4 sets of 10 reps with just a 45 on each side, slightly narrower grip, about a finger width closer on each side.

4 sets of front lat raises with the Smith machine: 25 on each side. Just went til it burned, then an additional 2 reps (12-14 reps each set)

Dips
BW+25 x 15 (short of failure)
BW+35 x 12 " "
BW+45 x 10
BW+45 x 8

JM press
85 lbs - 3 sets of 12

Skull Crushers
Not sure how much the bar weighs
2 sets of 8 reps with 25 on each side, narrow grip
2 sets of 8 reps with 20 on each side, wide grip, with about a 1 second pause at the bottom on each rep.

Preacher curls - haven't done this since college (7-8 years)
Same bar, 20 on each side: 3 sets just short of failure. Arms were major pumped by the end of this.

Great workout despite the fact it's supposed to be a back-off week. My triceps could definitely use some work, so I'm glad I upped the volume on them today. I had tons of energy today. Had my typical cup and a half of coffee this morning, followed by the Psyched. One thing I noticed is that it seemed to completely kill my appetite. I wasn't hungry at all when I left the gym, even though I got in there a little later than the last few times, and I also left later. It was after noon when I left, and all I had so far today was about 15g bcaa throughout the workout. I had to force myself to eat after my PWO shake. I have noticed a slight appetite suppression before, but not like today. Not sure if it is to be attributed to the Psyched or not. I was glad I wasn't hungry during the workout, but I'm still not all that hungry, so it'll be tough to get my meals in today. Might have to stay up a little later to get them in since I can sleep in a little tomorrow. It'll be an off day for me, so I'll probably just take the dog for a couple of long walks. Hoping to start Cycle 2 on Friday, depending on how sore today's workout makes me (my tris are rarely very sore, and it lasts no longer than a day usually).

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Excellent job!

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Sunday was the start of the 2nd cycle. Not a very good workout. The wife and I were up kinda late and I got up early, so not much sleep. I probably should have eaten something this time before we went, since it was later than usual. I took the Psyched about 30 minutes before. I didn't really feel a boost of energy, but I also didn't feel like I was getting tired towards the end of the workout. In fact I still had plenty of energy towards the end of the day. Hopefully tomorrow's workout will be better.

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sunday was the start of the 2nd cycle. Not a very good workout. The wife and I were up kinda late and I got up early, so not much sleep. I probably should have eaten something this time before we went, since it was later than usual. I took the Psyched about 30 minutes before. I didn't really feel a boost of energy, but I also didn't feel like I was getting tired towards the end of the workout. In fact I still had plenty of energy towards the end of the day. Hopefully tomorrow's workout will be better.
We cant have great days all the time.
You probly just need a break. Stress plays a major role in my workouts.Eat big & rest up dude. Hope your next sesh is better. :)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i learned a long time ago that stims were no replacement for sleep, they keep me up but i am cranky all day....get some good sleep tonight and i bet tomorrow will bring better results!!!

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Had a couple of so-so workouts recently, so won't say much about those. Had another not so good chest workout on the 3's week. My working set was with 170, and I only got it 12 reps. I don't know why, but everything felt heavy that day. I'm not liking the narrower grip for bench so far. Hopefully strength will start going up soon though. Energy was good with the Psyched. I added another set on a couple of the exercises to try to get a little more volume in.

6/22 - was a pretty damn good workout.
Deadlifts

Warmup sets
185x5 (final warm up)
205x3
225x3
245x3
255x15 (working set) lots of energy, felt very light today. Needed about a 4 minute breather after this set though.

185 x 10 x 3
185 x 12 x 1

Leg press
3 plates each side: 2 sets of 15

Calf Machine
2 sets to failure. Wasn't counting reps, just concentrating on form. I have small calves, and legs in general. At my strongest about 3 years ago when I was squatting 250-260 for 10+ reps and deadlifting 340 for 10 reps, my legs were barely bigger than they are now. They just got vainy. Same with my calves. I was blessed with my Dad's bird legs....

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
6/23 was the chest workout mentioned above.

6/25 - Had a fair workout. I got the number I was after, but it took some time. Still short on breath, but at least these working sets aren't making me sick to my stomach and just want to go home anymore haha. I think the Psyched help me get through this one for sure. Despite my heavy breathing towards the end of the set, it was the energy and concentration that got me through the set. I couldn't even tell you what song was on in my headphones at the time, I was zoned in to getting the reps I needed.
Squats
140x4 (Wendler says to stick to the plan, but I add a rep in the warmups sometimes when I feel I could use a little more stretch)
155x3
165x3
175x15 - this is the most I've done in probably 6-8 months after my groin injury kicked my ass. No pain at all. It felt heavier than I thought it was going to, but like I said above, I took my time, took a couple of deep breaths about every 3 reps, and got my 15 reps.

Since I haven't gone over 185 in so long, and I felt pretty good this morning, I decided to expose the legs to some heavier weight in anticipation for the increases to come in future cycles.

205 x 4 (not failure)
225 x 4 (probably 1-2 reps short of failure, could barely feel my legs at this point)
205 x 5 (near failure)
155 x 10
155 x 12 - this sucked. I was sucking wind hard on this one.

Leg press
2 45's and a 35 each side: 2 sets of 15
Added a 25 to each side and busted out another set of 15.
Legs were hammered after that. My knees felt very tight at this point too. Good place to move on.

Smith machine standing calf raises
2 sets to failure with a 45 on each side.

Ab machine - 4 sets of 12-15 reps, short rest

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How have the workouts been dude. Treating you well?