Contest prep with X Gels and Alphamax

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I'm a 37 year old male transitioning from CrossFit to Strongman. 8 weeks from today I will be competing and have decided to stack X Gels and Alphamax to help me meet my goals. This is an unsponsored log. I will offer up my honest opinions at all times.

My goal...get stronger! CrossFit has helped me build work capacity. Now, I need to be able to lift heavy things.

I'll be competing in the 220 open class and my weight never goes above 225.

Today's training...

Axle push press...work up to a heavy 5

Axle C&J for 1:00...accumulate 10 reps
-200 x 6 in :50
-200 x 4 in :35

Yoke x 50' in under :10

Stone over 53" bar...lap 3-load1 x 3

Coming off a deload week. Everything felt great. Could've gotten after it a bit more. Overall, solid day of work without smashing myself.

I've been on X Gels for 3 weeks now. I don't notice any increase in DOMS or an increased pump. I have noticed a serious increase in strength. This could be due to my new training program. However, I'd like to think the X Gels are playing a part.

Today is my first day taking Alphamax...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in for this! One of my favorite stacks. I am planning on running it again starting in a week or two. I just need two more bottles of ArA.

If you have any questions regarding Alphamax, post them in here and I or one of the other reps will get back to you.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Thanks! I work out first thing in the AM on Saturday and Sunday. Can I dose the Alphamax and X Gels at the same time on an empty stomach?

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Sunday is conditioning via metabolic conditioning. Can't let go of my CrossFit roots completely. I try to keep metcons short and intense.

The movements will mainly be lower body accessory work since I never get it all in on the day I am supposed to.

5 rounds for time
50' sled drag @ 90#
7 front squats @ 185
-no rack
5:38rx

Rest

5 rounds for time
3 tire flips @ 550#
5 tire jumps @ 33"
4:01rx

Both were breathy. Never a good reason to slow down. That tire has never felt that damn heavy. First WOD took the ass out of me. Good new is that the tire in the contest will be 500#.

Slept great last night. Only difference was the Alphamax I took. Took it again upon waking today. My belly made some crazy noises. I thought fecal Armageddon was imminent. Nope. Just rumbling. Maybe Alphamax and last night's sushi weren't meant for each other.

Time to eat and rest up for tomorrow!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks! I work out first thing in the AM on Saturday and Sunday. Can I dose the Alphamax and X Gels at the same time on an empty stomach?
Yes. ArA should always be dosed pre workout, along with your ALCAR/LCLT and GMS and whatever else you take pre workout.

Alphamax can be taken on an empty stomach, if you do not have any GI issues with F95. If you do, dose with meals. The doses should be at least 6 hours apart. Some people report better pumps when taken pre workout. Always take the second dose pre bed on an empty stomach.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I awoke to snow and sore legs today. Snow! It's March. I left MN for a reason. The snow can stay on my driveway. I refuse to shovel.

Today's training session went extremely well. I had some fun push pressing into bands, my floor press weight for all sets was a 10 pound increase from a few weeks ago, and accessory work was uneventful.

My program is solid but I have to think the X Gels are playing a part in the strength increase. I'm putting more weight on every time I repeat a lift in this program.

If only I could straighten out my diet. Liquid calories are just hard to avoid. To quote Frank the Tank from Old School, "It's just so good. Once it touches your lips..."

Today...

Push press into bands
:60 between sets
10x3 @ 125 + bands

Floor press with pause
5x5 @ 195 + 40 chain

3x12
Side raise @ 25
One hand pushdown @ 30

3x12
Front raise @ 25
One hand pulldown @ 20

I'll post again Wednesday. It'll be a rough night. Axle DL, axle power clean, farmer's walk, and back.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Woke up with tons of snow for Spring.

I left it too, should melt tomorrow when it rains.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
The snow melted and the pain in my legs has subsided...

New development for the week. I can't get enough food! My appetite is out of control. I've increased my calories and macros a bit and am making sure to eat clean. Been laying off those liquid calories as well.

Tonight was rough. Overall...it went well. PR on the DL, decent numbers on the axle power clean, and I did what I could on the farmer's walk. It didn't tie my PR, but I was pretty smashed by then. Plus, we were outside in the cold with no chalk. I'll quit with the excuses now.

Axle DL from floor
160x5
250x5
340x5
430x5
480x3 (PR) I wanted 5...didn't happen
390x11

Axle power clean (touch and go)
160x2
180x2
200x2
160x10

Farmers walk 50'
260 (1 drop...still pissy about this)

Pulldown
11x12
11x12
11x12

Hammer row
140x12
140x12
140x12

That was it. Then, I won't home and ate my face off. Looking forward to an Alphamax induced sleep.

pracata

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome bro!I'm actually Hungry at thus moment a matter of fact I'm always hungry jeje

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
First name, always. Last name, hungry.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I've been on Alphamax for 1 week now. 1 week. I'm down 4 pounds. Craziness.

Today's sesh was cut short. My mid back and spinal erectors locked up on me. Seems my DL PR came at a price.

I set a PR on PP and nailed 6 reps above contest weight in the C&J. Not too shabby for the old man with the tight back.

Tire flips sucked. The tire was filled with water and ice and covered in frost. It was 25 degrees out. Builds character I guess.

Stones didn't happen. Back locked up. Decided to shove aside my ego and stop. Headed to the Chiro. He'll fix me up.

Still...not a bad day

Axle push press
140x3 160x3 180x3 200x3 215x3 (PR)

Axle C&J each rep
Accumulate 10 reps
No drop from *******
Stop at :60
210x6 in :60
210x4 in :40

Tire flips 3x10 @ 500

Stone extensions 5x3 @ 250 (NO GO)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is your strength with the weight loss? Notice any improvement in body composition, sleep, or libido?

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
How is your strength with the weight loss? Notice any improvement in body composition, sleep, or libido?
Body comp- no big changes so far. I'm going to monitor this more closely in the coming weeks.

Strength- continues to improve each day. No loss in strength from the few pounds I've dropped.

Sleep- is great! This is the best effect so far. Great mood as well.

Libido- I'm always ready. This 37 year old feels younger.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! Sounds like the first week is treating you well!

By the way, I'm starting my stack Monday! I am going to run X-Gels for the first two weeks solo, then add Alphamax.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Decided to test the back out...

Stone extensions 5x3 @ 215 (light)
-got great height
-no pain

EMOM until failure
Back squatx1
Start @ 225
Add 20 pounds each minute
-ended at 425
-wanted a bit more

Side note. Been told by several people I look leaner. I have told no one about taking Alphamax or trying to tighten up my diet. Must be working.

Glad to hear Ant will be starting the same stack. Can't wait to check your progress.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never heard about squatting that way. I might have to play with that one day. SOunds pretty intense!

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
www.strongmanwod.com

I steal a LOT from Rob Orlando. He's the owner of Hybrid Athletics. Rob was a strongman who became a CrossFitter. Rob competed in both at a high level. He now delivers CrossFit's strongman cert.

His workouts are a great way to go heavy and get your conditioning in...

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice! Sounds like the first week is treating you well!
By the way, I'm starting my stack Monday! I am going to run X-Gels for the first two weeks solo, then add Alphamax.
Add some follidrone to that stack and thank me later.:boobies:

I've never heard about squatting that way. I might have to play with that one day. SOunds pretty intense!
Me either

www.strongmanwod.com

I steal a LOT from Rob Orlando. He's the owner of Hybrid Athletics. Rob was a strongman who became a CrossFitter. Rob competed in both at a high level. He now delivers CrossFit's strongman cert.

Learn something new everyday.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
www.strongmanwod.com

I'll have to check it out. I was thinking that conditioning has to be pretty high to do such a thing.

Add some follidrone to that stack and thank me later.:boobies:
If I can find it for a good price, I might. However, with the PES Insider coming up, I'm not sure. Also, I'd like to run it solo since I've never ran it before.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
PES insider? I'm not aware of what this is. Care to explain?

Follidrone is on my list to try. I'd like to try that and ABE as well.

I've always been natty and plan to stay that way. Seems like the products everyone raves about are...
1) X gels
2) Alphamax
3) ABE
4) Follidrone

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PES insider? I'm not aware of what this is. Care to explain?

Follidrone is on my list to try. I'd like to try that and ABE as well.

I've always been natty and plan to stay that way. Seems like the products everyone raves about are...
1) X gels
2) Alphamax
3) ABE
4) Follidrone
Sign up the the Inside deal to get great prices http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/247208-next-pes-insider.html
Here is their new product. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/266407-introducing-pes-select.html

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Press day today. Gotta put more days in a row than I want since we're taking a little waterpark trip with the kids.

2 Strict press, 2 push press, 2 push jerk
5 working sets @ 80% effort @ 165

Bench
5x5 @ 245
I'm a CrossFitter. We don't bench. This is 20 pounds more than I used a few weeks ago for the same rep scheme. Could've done 5x8-10. Very happy about this.

3x12
Axle z press @ 75
Floor press @ 165
This superset bit. The pump was too much!

3x12
Reverse v out
Bandy tri

Time to roll out the back and get ready for LOTS of pulling and back work tomorrow...

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a pump junkie. There is never too much pump lol.

What Waterpark are you going too? I'm not a creeper lol, just if it's Wisconsin Dells we go there all the time.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Solid floor pressing. I just added these back into my routine about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I'm a pump junkie. There is never too much pump lol. What Waterpark are you going too? I'm not a creeper lol, just if it's Wisconsin Dells we go there all the time.
Ha! I don't think you're a creeper.

We go to the Dells all the time as well. We are going to try the waterpark by Starved Rock. I think it's called Grizzly Jack's. Supposed to be a great Cajun restaurant near by. The owner took my buddy and his family in the back and showed them how to chop up gator. My 9 year old would dig that!

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Solid floor pressing. I just added these back into my routine about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
The floor press has been programmed for me from time to time. Never realized it was such a crappy movement. I can definitely understand the benefits to using it.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ha! I don't think you're a creeper.

We go to the Dells all the time as well. We are going to try the waterpark by Starved Rock. I think it's called Grizzly Jack's. Supposed to be a great Cajun restaurant near by. The owner took my buddy and his family in the back and showed them how to chop up gator. My 9 year old would dig that!
Haha that would be cool. Don't think my daughters would like seeing a gator chopped up though lol.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Day started out terribly. My mother in law, sister in law and her wife and three kids are staying another whole day and night in our house. FML.

Got to the gym and it continued...

Farmer DL
:10 hold on last rep
160x3
210x3
260x3
275x1 (held for an easy :25)
I hit 260x5 a few weeks ago. I didn't warm up enough and it's my 4th day in a row, but I don't care!

Sumo DL
225x5
315x5
365x5
405x5
455x5
455x5
Starting to turn around. I'm on my last notch on my belt. That has NEVER happened! Last set of sumo went fast and smooth. Could've gone a bit heavier.

Log clean
190x3
210x3
230x3
250x3
HUGE PR!!! My previous best was 240x1.

Hammer pulldown
140x3x12
Is that me in the mirror? Since when do I have veins?

Cable row
10x3x12

Well. It sure turned around. Can't believe I'm still 220 and on my last notches on my belt. Everything's coming up Milhouse (Simpson's reference).

Time to go back home and avoid drinking myself into a stupor in front of the company...

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I have to set a reminder on my phone. Missed my night dose.

Enjoying a few rest days right now. My training will consist of...

Climbing stairs to water slides
Laser tag
Chasing children

I'll have to ask for the forgiveness from the diet gods as well for my nutritional jackassery. I'm on vacation!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like you'll have to drill more notches into your belt!

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Another week down. This week was filled with PRs and me noticing that I am becoming more lean (until the trip with the family where my diet went to hell).

My training partner and I moved things around due to the upcoming holiday and hit events tonight. Here's how it went...

Axle clean 1/push press 2 (no jerk)
150x2
170x2
190x2
210x2
220x2
230x2 (PR)
240x1 (PR)
Should've had 2 at 240. Screwed up my form on the first push press. Pulled it together and hit 1. 230 was fast. Pressing is really improving.

Yoke for 50' sub :08
330x2
420x2
This was interesting. Damn near had to run with the yoke. It wasn't heavy at all. Learning how to move quickly.

Stone to 48"
230x1
250x1
285x1
300x1
315x1(PR)
330(f)
Lapped the 330. I hitched my hips and gave it hell...and it didn't budge. My buddy started laughing. "Dude, that buried you. Not trying to be a dick, but that didn't move at all." I laughed as well. He was right. It was a dog fight just to lap it.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
This CrossFit stuff is gonna kill me! Nothing like a 20:00 AMRAP the morning after a heavy session.

20:00 AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)
Teams of 2
4-8-12-16-20-16-12-8-4
Burpees
KBS
Squat
100m OH plate carry

My partner and I cometed 1 full round +12 extra reps. I'm shot. What strongman needs to move for 20:00?!

Thanks to my partner. He made my backside move the whole time. He's a 170# triathlete with a motor. Woof...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How's your new stack treating you? What are your goals? Changing your diet or training?
Right now, I'm just running ArA. Will probably do that for 2 or 4 weeks and then add in Alphamax. If I do the second option, it will allow for some overlap and a stack of 12 weeks. Pumps have been incredible so far. I am dosing HyperMax, LCLT and GMS pre workout with the ArA. HyperMax has 1g/scoop of GMS, so I am doing that with 5g of Glycergrow for 6g total. However, I think I am going to up HyperMax to 1.5 scoops for some days. On those days, I will only dose Glycergrow at 4g.

Diet is the same, but may change on a weekly basis. By that I mean if I lose weight or stay the same weight, I will increase cals. I am going to a very slow and controlled bulk so I only add cals when I need to. I also carb cycle.

Training, I am keeping the same. A hybrid of 5/3/1 and PHAT

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Right now, I'm just running ArA. Will probably do that for 2 or 4 weeks and then add in Alphamax. If I do the second option, it will allow for some overlap and a stack of 12 weeks. Pumps have been incredible so far. I am dosing HyperMax, LCLT and GMS pre workout with the ArA. HyperMax has 1g/scoop of GMS, so I am doing that with 5g of Glycergrow for 6g total. However, I think I am going to up HyperMax to 1.5 scoops for some days. On those days, I will only dose Glycergrow at 4g. Diet is the same, but may change on a weekly basis. By that I mean if I lose weight or stay the same weight, I will increase cals. I am going to a very slow and controlled bulk so I only add cals when I need to. I also carb cycle. Training, I am keeping the same. A hybrid of 5/3/1 and PHAT
Big fan of 5-3-1. We use Chad Wesley Smith's expanded version at the box for strength work before metcons. What is PHAT? What's a typical day look like for you?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PHAT is a strength/hypertrophy program. Read about it in the link below:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Here is my split

Sunday - OFF
Monday - Power Upper Day with 5/3/1 bench and OHP
Tuesday - Legs Hypertrophy with Sumo Deadlift 5/3/1
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - Push Hypertrophy
Friday - Pull Hypertrophy
Saturday - Lower Power with 5/3/1 squats

So, I follow the PHAT routine outlined in the link above, some exercises may be different, but have 5/3/1 worked in where I stated!

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I like how you mixed that up! Those two programs seem to compliment each other well.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Happy Easter to you all! This will be a day of food and recovery for me.

Plan so far...

Chocolate martini
Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout
Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Cream cheese and berry stuffed French toast
Bacon
Eggs

I'll get back on the diet tomorrow. One last big day of dietary jackassery.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Happy Easter to you all! This will be a day of food and recovery for me.

Plan so far...

Chocolate martini
Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout
Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Cream cheese and berry stuffed French toast
Bacon
Eggs

I'll get back on the diet tomorrow. One last big day of dietary jackassery.
Lol enjoy!

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
Took a few days to recover from Easter. My goodness. I ended up napping in the grass at the park with my dog.

The Alphamax has turned me into a 14 year old. Acne issues lately. Not a fan of that.

Back to work today...

18" axle DL
250x5
340x5
430x3
520x3
550x3
580x3 (PR)

Farmer's walk 50' sub :10

Power clean
185x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
225x5

Pulldown
3x12 @ 120

Pendlay row
3x12 @ 95

Another PR today. Seems like I set a new one every session.

Farmers was fast and fairly easy...

Should've bumped up to 225 on the clean way sooner. Didn't push myself as much as I could've. I can squat clean well. Didn't expect my power clean to be so good today.

Only one big day left this week. After that...I get to deload. Glorious deload! It'll be time for some metcons before my last microcycle. That microcycle will focus on peaking for the contest.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Where are you breaking our, your face? Do you have a face washing routine?

pracata

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome man!Sounds like alphamax is giving you some power

Took a few days to recover from Easter. My goodness. I ended up napping in the grass at the park with my dog.

The Alphamax has turned me into a 14 year old. Acne issues lately. Not a fan of that.

Back to work today...

18" axle DL
250x5
340x5
430x3
520x3
550x3
580x3 (PR)

Farmer's walk 50' sub :10

Power clean
185x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
225x5

Pulldown
3x12 @ 120

Pendlay row
3x12 @ 95

Another PR today. Seems like I set a new one every session.

Farmers was fast and fairly easy...

Should've bumped up to 225 on the clean way sooner. Didn't push myself as much as I could've. I can squat clean well. Didn't expect my power clean to be so good today.

Only one big day left this week. After that...I get to deload. Glorious deload! It'll be time for some metcons before my last microcycle. That microcycle will focus on peaking for the contest.