Controlled Labs is Upping my Fruit Game!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
AntM Logs Controlled Labs Oximega Reds

First, I want to say thank you to Sean and the rest of the Controlled abs team for allowing me to try their new product Oximega Reds! Controlled Labs is one of the first supplement companies I used when I first started lifting and I continue to use their line. Orange Triad and their Fish Oil are my two staples. Pronom and Purple Wraath are other products I enjoy. However, with that said, this mini log/review will not have any bias. I promise to rate the product fairly.

I am not going to go in depth with my training or diet for this log. Instead, I will update with any benefits I think Reds has helped with.

Why Oximega Reds?

For me personally, I have to shop on a budget since I am not working as much as I would like due to student teaching. Fruits are not in season right now in CT and are expensive. I get about a half serving of fruit per day. My greens are on point, but I am probably lacking severl micronutrients due to my limited fruit intake.

What is Oximega Reds?

Orange OxiMega Reds™ is a comprehensive and amazing tasting fruit supplement. This is no ordinary reds product; it has additional ingredients geared towards real athletes. We included a potent dose of beet root, which has been shown to increase endurance, nitric oxide levels and cardiovascular health in exercising humans in a clinical setting. The enzymes, probiotics and anti-oxidants will help the body absorb and utilize the highest level of nutrients from your diet and supplementation for maximum results. Not only is this reds formulation healthful, but it tastes delicious too with its 100% natural orange flavoring without the use of any artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.

What is in Oximega Reds?

OrangeOxiMega_Reds_SF.jpg

My next post will be my initial review

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last night was my first dose. I took one scoop, 5 grams measured, in 8 ounces of water. I am not going to give numbers until my final review, but I will give my initial thoughts on some aspects now.

First, the smell is not that friendly. When I first opened the tub, I was scared to drink it based on the smell. However, I have had supplements that smell great and taste horrible so I do not put too much stock in smell.

Next, the powder is a dark orange color. Makes sense since the flavor is orange.

Mixability is not the best. See the picture below. there were zero clumps, but there is a lot of foam. This happened with both uses so far. It does not make or break my experience, but something worth noting. Just need to get some extra water to get the rest of the foam.

Taste in 4-8 ounces of water was odd. I could not put my finger on it last night. I was able to remember what it reminds me of though with tonight's dose. But first, let me say, I did not have high hopes for the the taste. I have never tried a powder greens or red product before, but I assumed it would be pretty difficult to flavor. The taste reminded me of orange Metamucil. It is not the best tasting thing in the world, but it is not that bad either. I am going to try more water to see if strength of the taste can be diluted. It is pretty strong. I am also going to try it in some plain Greek yogurt pre bed sometime this coming week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hadn't thought of mixing into yogurt. Curious.

I wonder if stirring with a spoon may work better? That's how I take the Oximega Greens and OT+Greens. Speaking of Greens flavoring...greens will always tend to have a hint of earthly tea taste (that's how I think it tastes at least)

chzcake01

Awards
  • Established
i really like the taste and notice that less water is better.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hadn't thought of mixing into yogurt. Curious.

I wonder if stirring with a spoon may work better? That's how I take the Oximega Greens and OT+Greens. Speaking of Greens flavoring...greens will always tend to have a hint of earthly tea taste (that's how I think it tastes at least)
I would assume greens would taste better. But like I said, I was expecting the best tasting product. I figured it has to be difficult to flavor these types of products.

The yogurt will come Tuesday or Wednesday!

i really like the taste and notice that less water is better.
I tried it in 12 oz water today, I enjoyed it more. I will try the recommended 2-3 oz tomorrow.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Greens does taste like minty tea, love it. Can't wait to see what you think of reds Ant. I'll be picking some up in future myself.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Little update.

When mixed with Greek yogurt, the odd aftertaste is cut dramatically. I tried it in 2 oz of water too. It tastes a lot better with less water, still has the odd aftertaste, but it is not as prominent.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So after about a week and a half, here is my opinion so far.

Taste I have gotten used to. I used only 2 ounces of water and take it as a shot. The taste is not bad, but there is an "earthy" after taste to it. I have noticed my bowel movements are more liquidy too. As if food is passing too quickly. It has died down since the start of using Reds. I do not know if it is Reds that is causing this, but I have not added anything else and my fiber intake has been consistent. It is not like I'm going 5 times a day, just once, sometimes twice which is normal.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So after about a week and a half, here is my opinion so far. Taste I have gotten used to. I used only 2 ounces of water and take it as a shot. The taste is not bad, but there is an "earthy" after taste to it. I have noticed my bowel movements are more liquidy too. As if food is passing too quickly. It has died down since the start of using Reds. I do not know if it is Reds that is causing this, but I have not added anything else and my fiber intake has been consistent. It is not like I'm going 5 times a day, just once, sometimes twice which is normal.
I would say your BM is affected by the Reds, most likely because of the probiotics there.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say your BM is affected by the Reds, most likely because of the probiotics there.
That's what I was thinking. I discontinued the use of my other probiotic. Maybe Reds is a higher dosage. Runny BM have slowed though, so I think I'm getting used to it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update

Lose stool is not as prevalent as it once was. I hardly ever wake up feeling bloated. With Reds, I wake up even more empty, which I enjoy. When I drink water first thing in the morning, I can feel it reach my stomach almost immediately. I really like this aspect.