Frank is getting ALPHA with Alphamax

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Welcome to the show! My first venture into anabolic supplement realm, besides creatine and I am honored to be chosen by the guys at performax to get this ball rolling. A little about me: I am 24, started lifting for sports in high school but nothing really serious until my junior year of high school. I was asked to walk on to the football team and started training for that, then proceeded to injure myself during the summer before every really getting to play. I made excuses and got fat which led to some serious frustration and though undiagnosed, I believe a mild depression as well. I found lifting and made training and nutrition a passion and lifestyle. Insert typical inspirational weight loss story here (80 lbs over the next 2.5 years), broke up with an ex who made life miserable and moved across country to focus on myself and complete my masters degree and feel great about where I'm at currently. With all that background, lets get to the important stuff. Current stats: age - 24 height - 6'7 weight -268.5 as of yesterday I am running the 5/3/1 triumvirate with the following training maxes BB bench - 275 Squat - 330 OHP - 200 Dead - 320 As you can see, these numbers are terrible. I've been lifting for years but my biggest concern has always been being lean and losing weight given my previous state. Thus, it is finally time for me to get big and intimidating beyond just my height. Diet: I don't track macros so hopefully that's not much of an issue. At my size, I just eat, ALOT, and make sure my protein intake is high supplementing with shakes when I see necessary. First dose is down the hatch, and absolutely can not wait to get this into full swing!

Attachments

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
A couple more details, I was 330 with a max bench of 175 when I finally took my health into my own hands and cut down to 240 at one point but felt to small (avi picture)

My goals for this run include obviously improving my lifting and pushing those training maxes up, but also hoping for a nice little recomp/lean gain effect from the alphamax and its inclusion of the forskolin.

Edit: Before pics will be posted tonight when my gf gets home from class.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the weight loss! I was also a former fatty. 5/3/1 is great. I've been running it for 3 or 4 months now, gains have been great!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Congrats on the weight loss! I was also a former fatty. 5/3/1 is great. I've been running it for 3 or 4 months now, gains have been great!
Thanks man and welcome aboard. Thats what I'm hoping. Time to make my numbers match my frame. As for the weight loss, while the physical aspect is great I don't think people truly understand the mental benefits that come with it. That increased confidence and just self respect has completely changed my outlook on life and the world.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Today was squat day. 3x5 calling for 65/75/85 of training max with the last set being AMRAP.

Workout was as follows:

BB squat - 215x5, 245x5, 280x7(AMRAP) Really focused on exploding through glutes and driving out of the hole as the first couple sets were lighter weight so wanted to perform the reps explosively.

Leg Press - 347x15x 5 (5 sets of 15) used a shoulder width foot placement and really focused on pushing through heels and emphasizing the quads.

Seated leg curl - 60x10, 85x10, 105x10, 105x10, 110x10. My gym only has a seated leg curl, no lying curls. Frustrating since it definitely is not built to accommodate their 6'7 members but got it done and felt a good contraction.

Overall, a solid effort. Have enjoyed the past couple days on 5/3/1 and have high hopes for the rest of the run. Obviously nothing to report on the Alphamax yet but patience is a virtue and I can't wait for it to kick in.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Today is an off day. Open to close shift at work and trying to get calories down are the only concerns for the next 12 hours.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good to have you.

Is there any benefit to a dose being preworkout or is that fairly unimportant as long as its with food and 6-8 hours apart?
It doesn't have to be preworkout. The prebed dose is great though, it will help with sleep.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man and welcome aboard. Thats what I'm hoping. Time to make my numbers match my frame. As for the weight loss, while the physical aspect is great I don't think people truly understand the mental benefits that come with it. That increased confidence and just self respect has completely changed my outlook on life and the world.
I agree with you about the positive psychological benefits. They are definitely overlooked compared to the physical. I also think, at least in my case, there is are negative psychological impacts of being a former fatty. One, I will always see myself as fat, even if I'm not. Also, I was VERY broscience in terms of nutrition when I first started. I follow more of a flexible approach, but still get wary when I don't eat completely bro.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
While I've gotten over the bro eating myself, you are 100% right. I think we all have to have some sort of internal battle psychologically to devote so much time, effort and energy towards such a selfish cause. That is why many of us seek the community of a board like this. Regardless of our current state, we feel better amongst others with similar goals and struggles.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
11-20 Bench

BB bench: 180x5, 205x5, 235x9(AMRAP)
DB Incline bench: 65x15x5
DB row: 75x10,75x10, 75x10, 85x10, 85x10 (pulled from dead stop off ground every rep to get full stretch in back)

So, I've been performing all my primary lifts as explosive as possible and on the AMRAP sets I have been stopping once they become grinders. If this is an incorrect approach, let me know but it seems to me that given this is a power/strength based program, performing the reps as explosively as possible makes sense.

As for the Alphamax, is increased glycogen a reported effect? I weighed myself today and weighed in at 274 which was 5.5lbs heavier than on Monday. Weigh in was at the same time and similar eating prior. Obviously I didn't get fat in 2 days (kidding) but seemed like an outrageous jump. Other than that, I haven't noticed a whole lot yet but it is only day 3.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Quick update from yesterday.

11-21 Deadlift BW - 274

Deadlift- 210x5, 240x5, 275x8

Hyperextensions- 5x15xBW

Hanging leg raise- 5x10

Deadlifts were quick and focused hard on pushing glutes through. I take a conventional stance as I prefer the feel I get from those over sumo. Plus the conventional is easier for me flexibility wise.

Taking special care to take my second Alphamax dose before bed on an empty stomach tonight to see if it helps. Ive been having some restless sleep the past couple night so we will see.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In on this!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
11-24 OHP BW - 274.5

OHP 140x5, 160x5, 180x5 (AMRAP)

Dips: BW 15,15,15,15,13

Chin-ups: BW 10,10,10, 7, 6

Chin-ups were performed with straps as the only narrow bar capable in my gym is entirely smooth. As for the Alphamax, I definitely nailed the timing of the night dosing last night as I slept like a rock. Also, how long does it normally take to feel some of the drying effects from the Arimistane? My joints were a little more achey/clicky today and it was the only explanation I could think of.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
11-24 OHP BW - 274.5

OHP 140x5, 160x5, 180x5 (AMRAP)

Dips: BW 15,15,15,15,13

Chin-ups: BW 10,10,10, 7, 6

Chin-ups were performed with straps as the only narrow bar capable in my gym is entirely smooth. As for the Alphamax, I definitely nailed the timing of the night dosing last night as I slept like a rock. Also, how long does it normally take to feel some of the drying effects from the Arimistane? My joints were a little more achey/clicky today and it was the only explanation I could think of.
Glad the sleep was better. You may get some vivid dreams too. Some people are more sensitive to arimistane than others, bump fish oil if you need to.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Glad the sleep was better. You may get some vivid dreams too. Some people are more sensitive to arimistane than others, bump fish oil if you need to.
Already at 3G/day. Need to grab more. By no means was it debilitating, just noticeably a little creakier if that makes sense.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Already at 3G/day. Need to grab more. By no means was it debilitating, just noticeably a little creakier if that makes sense.
I know what you mean. Ever since using Orange Triad as my multi, no more issues!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I know what you mean. Ever since using Orange Triad as my multi, no more issues!
Yeah but I can't rationalize the extra cost for OT. Used it and loved it, but can get athletic multi much cheaper.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would add in some facepulls to each of your upper body days to balance out the internal and external rotator usage.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I would add in some facepulls to each of your upper body days to balance out the internal and external rotator usage.
Advice from the more experienced always appreciated. Congrats on the new position. I was always one who liked to tinker with outlines and programs and decided this time I would just go straight from what I read and let the program work.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Advice from the more experienced always appreciated. Congrats on the new position. I was always one who liked to tinker with outlines and programs and decided this time I would just go straight from what I read and let the program work.
I agree with you on, but that's primarily for the main movement and not so much the assistance work. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the periodization bible than the triumvirate and always try to keep lower body work compound.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I agree with you on, but that's primarily for the main movement and not so much the assistance work. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the periodization bible than the triumvirate and always try to keep lower body work compound.
This is my first foray into powerlifting type programming. Got a link to this periodization bible? I'm still going to give this a chance to see how it works but always like options.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is my first foray into powerlifting type programming. Got a link to this periodization bible? I'm still going to give this a chance to see how it works but always like options.
You didn't buy the various editions of the 5/3/1 book?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I would. It's worth the price as it covers pretty much everything you need to know about the program and what adaptations you can make.
Available at book stores or solely online?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Will definitely look into it. As for the workout today:

11/25 Squat

BB squat: 235x3, 265x3, 295x4 (AMRAP)

Leg press: 347x15, 347x15, 367x15, 367x15, 397x15

Seated leg curl: 85x10, 95x10, 105x10, 115x10, 120x10

Felt pretty good today. A group of three bro's decided to take the only rack for 7 sets of bench a piece with plenty of chatting in between so used the smith to warm up and was probably a little to thorough. Felt perfectly in the groove when started but felt a touch fatigued by the time I hit my AMRAP set hence only 4 reps.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had legs today too! Is that a typo on the leg press? How do you get the 7?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I had legs today too! Is that a typo on the leg press? How do you get the 7?
Leg press sled is 167 lbs. Obviously I don't know how accurate that is, but its factory engraved on the machine.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Leg press sled is 167 lbs. Obviously I don't know how accurate that is, but its factory engraved on the machine.
I've never noticed that on a leg press before. I know what I'm going to do next time I use it, look around for the weight!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I've never noticed that on a leg press before. I know what I'm going to do next time I use it, look around for the weight!
I don't think that is uniform, just what it said on mine. First gym I've seen that posted it.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Happy thanksgiving everyone. Finally uploaded some starting pics to the op. Getting ready to go crush a bench day then hitting up a buffet for my thanksgiving dinner as work has made it impossible to be with family. Still tons to be thankful for including all of you for providing support on this lifelong journey. Will update again after my workout.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
In on this. I am interested in taking AlphaMax. I haven't used anything other than Creatine, glutamine, D3 multivitamin and protein supplement. I am interested to see how your log goes

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
also in, reading through the log i completely agree with the mental benefit boost, it was the best part for me IMO. Crazy dreams too

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Welcome guys. The more the merrier. Congratulations on the rep position Quads.

11-26 Bench BW- 273.5

BB Bench: 195x3, 220x3, 250x6 (AMRAP)
Incline DB: 65x15, 65x15, 65x15, 65x15, 70x14
DB row: 85x10, 85x10, 85x10, 85x10, 95x10

Overall, strong workout today. Pretty sure 6 reps at 250 is the most I've ever done at that weight. Definitely could have hit 8 or 9 but would have turned into grinding reps and wanted to keep it explosive.

As for the Alphamax, as noted previously the drying effect has been noticeable. I am feeling a little tighter/firmer as well throughout even though I am up 5 pounds from the start (obviously water/glycogen). I have also noticed what seems to be an improved mood/confidence. Not an impatient "I'm better than you" attitude, but more a silent self-confidence which has been nice.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know what you mean in the boost in confidence. It is usually the second thing that hits me. First is sleep. Has your sleep improved?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I know what you mean in the boost in confidence. It is usually the second thing that hits me. First is sleep. Has your sleep improved?
Last night excluded (opened my store for Black Friday this am) yes. A few dreams that I woke up having to figure out if it was a dream or a memory as they have been vivid and directly related to my life. All positive though which may be partially due to the enhanced mood/confidence.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Last night excluded (opened my store for Black Friday this am) yes. A few dreams that I woke up having to figure out if it was a dream or a memory as they have been vivid and directly related to my life. All positive though which may be partially due to the enhanced mood/confidence.
zma always gave me weird ass dreams too. I usually woke up two or three times a week like this

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
That gif is quite accurate. I had to call my parents yesterday morning and confirm it was a dream because it seemed so real.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Quick update from yesterday. Had to open the store at 5:30 and didnt get home until 5PM. Really didn't want to go to the gym but sucked it up and did it anyway.

11/28 Deads. BW-277 (I assume so thanksgiving bloat)

Deadlift- 225x3, 250x3, 290x6 (AMRAP)
Hypers - 5xBWX15

As you can see, didn't linger long. All I skipped was hanging leg raises but I was just ready to be home. Deadlifts felt extremely easy. Only stopped at 6 because grip gave but definitely felt like I could have done 8-10. Things are going well though. Feeling strong. No additional comments from the Alphamax outside of previously noted yesterday.

Today is an off day from the gym but still Holiday hours at the store so another full day. Any questions feel free to ask.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Hey guys, hope everyone's weekend was great and money was saved.

12/1 OHP BW-272

OHP: 150x5, 170x3, 190x4 (AMRAP)

Dips: 5xBWx15

Chin up: 4xBWX10, BWx6

Felt really strong today and had a great lift. Also have noticed a slight libido increase over the weekend which wasn't fun as my girlfriend was out of town until last night.

Also as a side note, I've tried my sample pack of Hypermax the past couple days and really enjoyed it. The energy and focus were great, I will be posting reviews some time later today.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Also should note that sleep has been AWESOME the past couple days. Not sure if it is solely from the Alphamax but has been a very nice benefit.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad to hear about the sleep, Frank! Are you against straps for deadlifts?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Glad to hear about the sleep, Frank! Are you against straps for deadlifts?
Not at all. I own a pair and use em when working up heavier, but since 5/3/1 starts low enough, I figured it would be a good opportunity to try and work my grip strength up as the weight increases. Flawed logic?