DCP 2.0/Combustion/Fat Powerlifter Log

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd like to thank BPS for selecting me to log DCP & Combustion. I'm a longtime fan of DCP (1. & 2.), so I know kind of what to expect with it, but Combustion is new to me. The only other supplements I take are protein, creatine, and fish oil.

My diet follows the recommendation in Brian Carroll's book, 10/20/Life. I eat to perform, so there's a lot of red meat, a lot of oats, and a lot of wheat pasta. I'm going to track my macros while I run these products, because I want to see just what they're capable of for a strength athlete trying to recomp but not lose any weight.

I'm currently 6'2"-ish, and dry AM weight today was 304. I was at about 316 training weight for my last competition, lost a quick 20# after the comp and watched my squat go straight to shît, so I'm trying to get back to 312-315 while not gaining too much fat. If I end up at 305-ish and have mastered new leverages and gotten stronger, I'll take that too.

Currently avoiding bench until 5 weeks out, as I have a shoulder impingement that's killed my pressing.

I don't do "cardio", I weighted vest walk or push the prowler 3-4x/week for conditioning.

My last competition lifts were 551 squat, 402 bench, and 573 deadlift. Hope to go into the 600's on SQ and DL. Might only make a token bench attempt. We'll see.

Enjoy!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DB PRESS
Not a typical press; I held the DBs with my palms facing and the DBs touching like >>> 88. These made my chest feel as if it was going to pop (in a good way), and it exposed great chest weakness.
50x12
60x12
70x12
80x10
50x15

BW DIPS
Me x 15/15/12

Then I supersetted lat pulldowns with curls, and machine rows with rope pressdowns.

10/20/Life Big 3 core work and done.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So as has been my experience with DCP, I eat more carbs than usual, drop weight.

I'm VERY carb sensitive, and usually keep training day carbs under 200 without DCP. Yesterday I ate 300g carbs, dry AM weight today was 299.0.

I'll need to eat more...it'll be interesting to see just how far I can go.

Today was 2 mile weighted vest walk. Done for the day, squats tomorrow.

jjobe6

jjobe6

Awards
  • Established
So as has been my experience with DCP, I eat more carbs than usual, drop weight.

I'm VERY carb sensitive, and usually keep training day carbs under 200 without DCP. Yesterday I ate 300g carbs, dry AM weight today was 299.0.

What is the weight of the vest? Do you feel it helps with your lifts / core?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using 30#; I like it for core and upper back conditioning/strength.

Also sets the calves on fire with the extra weight.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really need to check out that book!

I think you will be quite happy with Combustion as well. I can't wait to see what results you get!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

i have low glocose, dcp 2.0 is a godsend!!!

together with combustion should work even better...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squat deload.

SSB YOKE BAR
Work up
332x5x2
367x5x3
382x5
332x10

GHR
Me + orange band x 10x4

Prowler rounds

Done.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strong work! LOL, your deload is higher than my max ;)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hope that shoulder heals up...going into the 600's on dl and squat would be significant improvement, just hope bench don't set you back!!!

gonna have to really up cals to add 10-15lbs bulk while using dcp/combustion, imo..

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strong title big guy lol.
Gotta be honest! ;)

im following along!
Welcome!

Strong work! LOL, your deload is higher than my max ;)
I'm also probably much heavier. My relative strength ain't all that great.

hope that shoulder heals up...going into the 600's on dl and squat would be significant improvement, just hope bench don't set you back!!!

gonna have to really up cals to add 10-15lbs bulk while using dcp/combustion, imo..
You know, my steadfast goals were 600 SQ and 610 DL. I just threw in a 410 bench because I needed a number. It'll suck if I miss my 1600 total, but I'll be happy if I hit my SQ and DL goals.

I've already upped my carbs significantly; squat days are usually my big eating days, and I ate about 250g "clean" carbs, and about 150g "not so clean" carbs just because I was STARVING after I trained. 400g carbs in a day is damn near a refeed for me in the past.

Weight fluctuation? Not a tenth.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I'm on DCP 2 and into my third week and I've noticed I am holding water. I've suspected this when I've used it in the past.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm on DCP 2 and into my third week and I've noticed I am holding water. I've suspected this when I've used it in the past.
try upping your water INTAKE.

sounds dumb i know, but it is effective for most people.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
try upping your water INTAKE.

sounds dumb i know, but it is effective for most people.
This is so true. It really does sound counter-intuitive, but the body holds onto water more when you are not properly hydrated.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm pushing almost 2 gallons a day & looking leaner. As an added benefit, my contact lenses are also more comfortable throughout the day. (Very dry eyes).

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I think it's just my physiology. I held a lot of water on regular DCP and hold a lot when using yohimbine. It's not as bad as either of those, but into my third week I went from looking lean to abs becoming invisible in a couple of days without any change in diet it training. Clothes are looser do I know it's water retention.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think it's just my physiology. I held a lot of water on regular DCP and hold a lot when using yohimbine. It's not as bad as either of those, but into my third week I went from looking lean to abs becoming invisible in a couple of days without any change in diet it training. Clothes are looser do I know it's water retention.
the og version of dcp contained tta, an excellent fatburner but known for water retention in some users. the new version dcp 2.0 doesn't contain anything that i think would cause water retention...no tta!!!

yohimbe on the other hand is well known to cause water retention, but the fatburning qualities outweigh the water retention for most. the good part is once you stop the yohimbe you should have additional leaning out due to the water loss, same as was the effect of tta!!!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the og version of dcp contained tta, an excellent fatburner but known for water retention in some users. the new version dcp 2.0 doesn't contain anything that i think would cause water retention...no tta!!!

yohimbe on the other hand is well known to cause water retention, but the fatburning qualities outweigh the water retention for most. the good part is once you stop the yohimbe you should have additional leaning out due to the water loss, same as was the effect of tta!!!
Good catch, there! I didn't even see that he was talking original DCP.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I'm currently using DCP 2 and suffering water retention. My point is that DCP, although a different profile, worked through the same mechanism via PPAR and I suffered water retention from that so logical dictates that this would do the same.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sorry I'm currently using DCP 2 and suffering water retention. My point is that DCP, although a different profile, worked through the same mechanism via PPAR and I suffered water retention from that so logical dictates that this would do the same.
lol...i just read the write up on the new dcp 2.0. it seems the formulator was aware of the og dcp possible side effect of causing water retention from the tta. i can't see anything in the 2.0 version that would cause this. ppar at least imo had/has nothing to do with the water retention, in my honest opinion it was the tta---i had that same effect while using tta products and when stopping i dried out.

are you still using yohimbe?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
No I'm not. It's no biggie I know it will disappear once I cease use but I thought it's worth sharing. I've read others experiencing a similar fate.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No I'm not. It's no biggie I know it will disappear once I cease use but I thought it's worth sharing. I've read others experiencing a similar fate.
Hmmm, I wonder what causes that though.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've noticed nothing with water retention while on dcp.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've noticed nothing with water retention while on dcp.
neither have i, and i have not heard anyone mention it before now.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel like I'm keeping water off. *shrug*

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deload Deads
405x5
425x5x3
I felt great and wanted to move up but I stayed just under 75%.

FRONT SQUATS
Work up
225x6x2
245x6

Finished with some seated band extensions. Nothing too amazing today.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Nice work

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dude, that's some good work on those deads & squats! My lower back would be screaming after that!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks fellas. The deads were deload weights so my lower back didn't really get a helluva lot of real work in.

I hate starting a log with an injury, on a deload. :biglaugh:

Weight holding steady at 302-303, with anywhere from 50-100% more carb calories than I use when not taking DCP. Right now I'm pretty comfortable getting 200g on off days and up to 400g on training days, especially squat day.

I don't see much in the mirror, but this'll be a slow process. As long as my weight stays around 300-305 and I get stronger, I'm cool. I doubt I'm getting back to 310 this training cycle.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks fellas. The deads were deload weights so my lower back didn't really get a helluva lot of real work in.

I hate starting a log with an injury, on a deload. :biglaugh:

Weight holding steady at 302-303, with anywhere from 50-100% more carb calories than I use when not taking DCP. Right now I'm pretty comfortable getting 200g on off days and up to 400g on training days, especially squat day.

I don't see much in the mirror, but this'll be a slow process. As long as my weight stays around 300-305 and I get stronger, I'm cool. I doubt I'm getting back to 310 this training cycle.
if you make good progress starting off with an injury that is just that much more impressive!!!

goals are important, but continuing to make progress is even more vital, imo.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if you make good progress starting off with an injury that is just that much more impressive!!!

goals are important, but continuing to make progress is even more vital, imo.
I can still do dips and those nasty "DB prison presses", so at least I'm getting some chest work in. That's about the limit of my pressing though.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I can still do dips and those nasty "DB prison presses", so at least I'm getting some chest work in. That's about the limit of my pressing though.
it will come, you seem dedicated and determined...the hard part is not to rush it, imo.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Missed my session today; I was in a meeting until noon, drove an hour home, did lawn mower cardio then trained 4 clients. I'll get it in tomorrow and hope it doesn't jack up my squats on Wednesday. I don't recover like I used to. ;)

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know the feeling! Heavy deads and high rep squats this morning!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can do a variation of one or the other, but I can't go balls out on straight deads and squats in one day. I'm too old for all that.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can do a variation of one or the other, but I can't go balls out on straight deads and squats in one day. I'm too old for all that.
I'm not moving nearly the weight that you are, either ;)

I do higher rep squats on heavy deadlift day and vice versa on heavy squat day. Good old 5/3/1 BBB :)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there a mechanism of combustion that suppresses appetite? I'm having a helluva time even making it to 2500 kcal.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it don't get any easier either, lol....i haven't noticed any appetite suppression from combustion, buy holy delayed reaction---i am sweating like crazy, think i need to lower salt/sodium comsumption, it gets in my eyes and stings like the dickens!!!