Bumping it up a level, with Level II - sponsored

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been mostly avoiding the gym for the last year, not making it more than a couple times a month. I injured my calf pretty heavily at a Savage Race, and its been hard to get motivated. Except now, i'm getting too fat, pants are starting to get tight and I can't stand it. Plus I can't afford new pants :D

So in comes Level II from Formutech to help.

I like the ingredient mix, nice effective, not overly complicated or kitchen sink-ish. and unlike a lot of preworkout type products, 1 scoop REALLY is all you need.

So about me - 46, on TRT through a regular doctor, not related to anabolics, just **** luck. 5'10, around 215 lbs and around 20-22% bodyfat i'm thinking, but haven't checked and need to replace the batteries in my scale even for the weight. I primarily eat roughly an intermittent fasting paleo. Not precisely, but that's the closest way to describe it without having to detail a few weeks worth of eating. My workout routine? it hasn't been a routine for a year, so I'm working back into it. I'm probably going to do full body compounds mostly the first week or two just to beat through the DOMS, and then go back to one of the routines I liked. I enjoyed a modified Serge Nubret / Dog Crapp routine, so i'll probably do something like that. I MAY do strength workouts 2 days, and cardio two, but its up in the air right now.

Other supplements i'll be using - pretty minimal. I'll use recoverpro for a BCAA, DCP 2.0, glutamine and that's it. I have piles of stuff here but no sense going overboard with just restarting. No creatine even.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
today was wide grip pulldowns, decline bench press, leg press, and lateral raises. I'm thinking I may shoot for a push-pull setup on workouts.

The level II was great! lots of energy, and coupled with the DCP I was dripping sweat.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stuff hits hard and quick but doesn't mess with your head which is nice

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
today was wide grip pulldowns, decline bench press, leg press, and lateral raises. I'm thinking I may shoot for a push-pull setup on workouts.

The level II was great! lots of energy, and coupled with the DCP I was dripping sweat.
Good start! I just started doing a whatevertgehellifeellikedoingrightnow program. Lol. I work every group 1-2 times per week, each muscle group gets a moderate weight/rep movement, a 10x10 and a 3-4x20-30 to finish and all supersets with max 1 minute rest.

Talk about panting, pouring sweat, thinking you're going to die. Lol its great

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ugh the DOMS today are ferocious. The worst are the glute doms from the leg presses. I felt like my strength was ok yesterday for how long I've been out or inconsistent, hit 450 for 6 on the leg press which isn't too bad. Had pondered doing cardio today, but the DOMS got the best of me. No real time to on Monday mornings either (although I may have the time to do a half hour of cardio or possibly some bodyweight at home workout), but i'll be back at the gym Tuesday with another full body, and then Thursday will be the start of a more regular program.

I need to remember to use the Level II in the mornings i'm not working out, otherwise its going to last like 3 1/2 months :)

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ugh the DOMS today are ferocious. The worst are the glute doms from the leg presses. I felt like my strength was ok yesterday for how long I've been out or inconsistent, hit 450 for 6 on the leg press which isn't too bad. Had pondered doing cardio today, but the DOMS got the best of me. No real time to on Monday mornings either (although I may have the time to do a half hour of cardio or possibly some bodyweight at home workout), but i'll be back at the gym Tuesday with another full body, and then Thursday will be the start of a more regular program.

I need to remember to use the Level II in the mornings i'm not working out, otherwise its going to last like 3 1/2 months :)
You need to get a good Bcaa formula. I was never an advocate until I started using one. Doms are almost non existent

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mine will disappear within a week, its mostly that I haven't done a serious heavy strength workout in months :) I have piles of RecoverPro still.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mine will disappear within a week, its mostly that I haven't done a serious heavy strength workout in months :) I have piles of RecoverPro still.
I'm going through that that last few weeks, its been brutal!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
still sore as crap today (god does starting back up after a long break suck) so I just did some bodyweight stuff at home. I'll either hit the gym tomorrow or thursday morning again for a strength workout and the bad doms should be all done by the weekend, I hope :D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Finally got my scale working, and it wasn't a happy number. 217. Still, at least I have a starting point. I have a sort of urge to go to a modified fasting, maybe just whey on non-workout days and solid food on workout days? Not sure exactly but I want to peel off at least 10-12 pounds fast.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Finally got my scale working, and it wasn't a happy number. 217. Still, at least I have a starting point. I have a sort of urge to go to a modified fasting, maybe just whey on non-workout days and solid food on workout days? Not sure exactly but I want to peel off at least 10-12 pounds fast.
So here's what I've been doing and it's working really well. When I lift in the morning I have Endurance BCAA with my pwo and another scoop intra, then a shake with 30g whey and 12oz milk after. Then no food until noon.

On my off days I'll either sleep in or do 45-60 minutes LISS and then sip Endurance every few hours until lunch.

It's not too hard to keep that kind of schedule, I think.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's moderately close to how I eat as it is :(. I think that is also a piece of the problem, I kept my calories so low for so long since I wasn't going to the gym so as to not add fat, that my metabolism slowed down some on me. I generally don't eat anything till around 11-12, then have my last meal at 6ish.

I need to go put air in my bike tires, the weather this time of year here is nice for biking, and I could easily do a half hour a day of that.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's moderately close to how I eat as it is :(. I think that is also a piece of the problem, I kept my calories so low for so long since I wasn't going to the gym so as to not add fat, that my metabolism slowed down some on me. I generally don't eat anything till around 11-12, then have my last meal at 6ish.

I need to go put air in my bike tires, the weather this time of year here is nice for biking, and I could easily do a half hour a day of that.
try doing some circuits or some barbell complexes. Try doing some sets of 55s for cardio: (it's the first one) http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/best-cardio-workouts-youve-never-tried

Also a barbell complex I like is deadlift, hang clean, push press, back squat, barbell press (behind the head) and repeat x10. Do a few sets of this with a fairly light weight and you'll be smoked!

These should help to get your metabolism up and running again

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tis the season for a little gluttony......unless you live in the Bahamas who really cares if the six pack isn't as transparent......Stay on the Formutech Sauce...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, today I was at 214, so maybe the 217 was an anomaly and my estimate was really right. I'm pretty good at it :)

I was itching to get into the gym today, which is a good sign. Went with incline hammer press, seated db shoulder press, hammer squat machine and seated row. My weights are all looooooow for me, but doing 4 sets of 10 as well as right now is more a fat loss phase (and regaining the habit of 3-4x a week) than worrying about #s. I know how to add strength back easily enough if i'm actually in the gym 3-4x a week

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well, today I was at 214, so maybe the 217 was an anomaly and my estimate was really right. I'm pretty good at it :)

I was itching to get into the gym today, which is a good sign. Went with incline hammer press, seated db shoulder press, hammer squat machine and seated row. My weights are all looooooow for me, but doing 4 sets of 10 as well as right now is more a fat loss phase (and regaining the habit of 3-4x a week) than worrying about #s. I know how to add strength back easily enough if i'm actually in the gym 3-4x a week
numbers aren't the only thing that matters, brother! I'm in the same boat, I'm not lifting the weight I was before my long break but I'm dropping fat like crazy and getting work done when I'm under the bar. the strength will come back with time, one goal at a time right?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, its way easier to add the strength once you are past that whole initial soreness and getting form right again, etc. besides muscle memory will bring it back pretty quick regardless. Seems to me that by 6 weeks in you're usually at around 80% of where you were before the long break.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So how does this honestly compare with other similar products you have used?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it a lot. Its a good preworkout all on its own, also pretty thermogenic. Strong too, so economical. It seems to be a stronger stim but not particularly jittery, and lasts for a while then smoothly tapering off.

1 scoop sort of makes me feel like 3 or 4 Applied Nutriceutical RPMs plus raspberry ketones and some other thermogenics thrown in. Actually the energy seems to taper off even nicer than RPM.

It is a little surprising that i'm happy with it alone as a preworkout, as I usually was using some of the heavy stim with kitchen sink style preworkouts, all with DMAA. I originally figured i'd have to at least add some pump production something to it, but I don't feel any need.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like it a lot. Its a good preworkout all on its own, also pretty thermogenic. Strong too, so economical. It seems to be a stronger stim but not particularly jittery, and lasts for a while then smoothly tapering off.

1 scoop sort of makes me feel like 3 or 4 Applied Nutriceutical RPMs plus raspberry ketones and some other thermogenics thrown in. Actually the energy seems to taper off even nicer than RPM.

It is a little surprising that i'm happy with it alone as a preworkout, as I usually was using some of the heavy stim with kitchen sink style preworkouts, all with DMAA. I originally figured i'd have to at least add some pump production something to it, but I don't feel any need.
I'll dose it pre cardio to really get my sweat on. Never took it before lifting. I lift fasted really early so too much stim can get me light headed

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll dose it pre cardio to really get my sweat on. Never took it before lifting. I lift fasted really early so too much stim can get me light headed
I don't think you'd get that way with this. I always lift fasted, and that was one of the issues I've had with some preworkouts, particularly kitchen sink style.

DOMS aren't too bad today, probably by next workout be basically gone entirely.

I have found one sort of downside to Level II, but its not exactly Level IIs fault. If I have a cup of coffee within about an hour and a half of having the Level II, it really bothers my stomach. So not really Level IIs fault, as otherwise my stomach is fine, but interesting. Its not that I get overstimmed or anything either, just my stomach feels off. Not sure what would cause that as an interaction, but whatever, I just make sure I drink water for the first couple hours, then coffee after :D Its not like I need the coffee for the stim effect after Level II, I just drink it because I like it :D

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think you'd get that way with this. I always lift fasted, and that was one of the issues I've had with some preworkouts, particularly kitchen sink style.

I have found one sort of downside to Level II, but its not exactly Level IIs fault. If I have a cup of coffee within about an hour and a half of having the Level II, it really bothers my stomach. So not really Level IIs fault, as otherwise my stomach is fine, but interesting. Its not that I get overstimmed or anything either, just my stomach feels off. Not sure what would cause that as an interaction, but whatever, I just make sure I drink water for the first couple hours, then coffee after :D Its not like I need the coffee for the stim effect after Level II, I just drink it because I like it :D
that is an interesting reaction... i wonder what would cause that. how many times has it happened?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that is an interesting reaction... i wonder what would cause that. how many times has it happened?
basically every time I've had a coffee within that hour to hour and a half after. seems fine after about 2 hours. I think it happened 3x before I got smart enough to just wait on the coffee :D

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
basically every time I've had a coffee within that hour to hour and a half after. seems fine after about 2 hours. I think it happened 3x before I got smart enough to just wait on the coffee :D
Very strange! Thanks for the feedback!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very strange! Thanks for the feedback!!
I should add that both are as fasted, as I generally eat IF style. so its the Level II at 7am on an empty stomach, and a coffee before 9am still empty stomach that does it.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should add that both are as fasted, as I generally eat IF style. so its the Level II at 7am on an empty stomach, and a coffee before 9am still empty stomach that does it.
Yeah that could do it on an empty stomach. My pwo concoction plus a scoop of Endurance BCAA is enough to wreck my appetite for a while and even get me a little nauseated after a solid lifting session. No such effect when I've got food in me

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
too busy over the weekend with family stuff and still had too much in DOMS to work out. 214 today still, had a nice workout at the gym. Incline press, leg extensions, shoulder press, db flys, and light deadlifts. This should be around the tail end of the excessive DOMS, so I can get back into a more normal routine.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
still 214 today, but the DOMS are down to mostly not having any. So i'm at that point where i'm ready to stop the full body each session potentially and move to some other workout. As many routines as I've read over the years, i'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I've tried almost everything over the years. Anyone got a suggestion? I'll basically be starting it tomorrow.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
still 214 today, but the DOMS are down to mostly not having any. So i'm at that point where i'm ready to stop the full body each session potentially and move to some other workout. As many routines as I've read over the years, i'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I've tried almost everything over the years. Anyone got a suggestion? I'll basically be starting it tomorrow.
I'm personally a big fan of a 1/2 part per day split. I also love 10x10 on compounds and 4x12 followed by 25-30 rep burnouts on accessory lifts. I've heard of a lot of people doing push/pull style lifting programs which seem to make some sense. Just pick something that sounds fun and run with it!

What kind of goal are you going for, want to burn fat or what? For fat burning try what I'm doing. 1-2 body part split, 10x10 on main compound, 4x12-15 on accessory lifts, most things are supersetted, 45-60 sec rest on compounds, 30-45 sec rest on accessory lifts.

sample:

Incline press 10x10 45 sec rest
flat DB press 4x12-15 ss w/ incline flys 4x12-15 30 sec rest between sets
burnout flat flys 2-3x25+(amap) 30 secs between sets
finisher hammer grip DB pullovers very slow movements, constant tension, 3x20 30 sec rest between sets

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
all fat loss for now, with the inclusion of letting muscle memory bring back lost strength. That sounds interesting the 10x10s.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
all fat loss for now, with the inclusion of letting muscle memory bring back lost strength. That sounds interesting the 10x10s.
it'll kick your ass cardiovascularly with short rests and give you one hell of a pump

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Personally I am a PWO or cup of coffee guy in the morning and maybe a small cup of coffee for the afternoon pick me up. When I use Level II in the morning say 5ish, I generally don't need that 2nd cup and when I do, I get wicked headaches, kind of over caffeinated.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you know that reminds me, other than the gym I haven't played with 'how much does Level II help (or hurt) with focus?". I play pool in leagues, and since the games are normally night, I have to be very cautious with anything I take. But I think Saturday is a daytime tournament I might go hit, if I do I'll make sure I take it beforehand and see

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, I didn't quite do that, did a relatively more normal chest workout.

incline bench 3x10, 1x9
reverse db fly 4x12
incline db fly 3x12, last 6 on each set had 4 second pauses at the bottom totally outstretched
cable crossovers 4x15

Felt pretty good. I am really liking Level II as a preworkout!

Brucega

Brucega

Board Sponsor
Awards

incline bench 3x10, 1x9
reverse db fly 4x12
incline db fly 3x12, last 6 on each set had 4 second pauses at the bottom totally outstretched
cable crossovers 4x15

It seems more and more people are using Level II powder as a PWO. The capsules just came out so there will be options.
Thanks

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

incline bench 3x10, 1x9
reverse db fly 4x12
cable crossovers 4x15

I just took some, going to hit up some cardio in about 30 mins!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems more and more people are using Level II powder as a PWO. The capsules just came out so there will be options.
Thanks

At first I had thought I might need to add arachidonic acid, GMS, glycerine, something for pumps with it. But its working out fine solo.

Funny thing to try sometime if you're easily amused. put a scoop of Level II in a glass, and slowly pour a Sprite Zero over it and watch :D

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your Avatar is looking a bit chunky lately!! Just sayin!:doh:
lol I know it!!! I got up to 230 a few months ago. Now I'm back down to 210 over the last six weeks and I've got 2 abs showing, so I should be around 10% BF at 190 now (2 years ago i was 10% at 150-155) so I'm happy with that!

At first I had thought I might need to add arachidonic acid, GMS, glycerine, something for pumps with it. But its working out fine solo.

Funny thing to try sometime if you're easily amused. put a scoop of Level II in a glass, and slowly pour a Sprite Zero over it and watch :D
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ugh, I suck horribly. Never made it to the gym over the weekend. Saturday at least it made sense, I had to run out early to go pick up a used welder from craigslist, and then my wife got me involved with family stuff. But sunday I have no real excuse for, or this morning, as I didn't go today either.

Its stupid, I just got past the really bad doms part. I have to make sure this upcoming week I do it. I may have to do some later in the evening workouts for it to work I guess.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ugh, I suck horribly. Never made it to the gym over the weekend. Saturday at least it made sense, I had to run out early to go pick up a used welder from craigslist, and then my wife got me involved with family stuff. But sunday I have no real excuse for, or this morning, as I didn't go today either.

Its stupid, I just got past the really bad doms part. I have to make sure this upcoming week I do it. I may have to do some later in the evening workouts for it to work I guess.
skipping a day here or there won't kill you man!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
skipping a day here or there won't kill you man!
yeah, true. I already can feel some of the muscle memory kicking back in as it is, I just want to keep the process going. I'm off from work from Christmas through the week of new years, so I should easily be able to squeeze gym time in.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good luck....holidays are always hard.....do I train or take time off and eat like a slob.....decisions decisions...

Personally I do the best of both worlds, my intense workouts turn more to circuit type stuff for the month but I still intake all the cookes and such....guess I don't feel as guity..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I think I need to already change something, as my weight is staying more or less stuck at 215 already. But my job is literally about as sedentary as it gets, and outside of the days I hit the gym I do virtually nothing physical. Like today was an all db back workout, db deadlifts, db rows, hammer pulldown (ok not all db) and db reverse flys. but that 40 minutes or so is it for me for the day, then its in front of a computer for 9 hours.

I think the idea of me switching to a circuit style and increasing my workout time to an hour probably would help kick it up a notch.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I think I need to already change something, as my weight is staying more or less stuck at 215 already. But my job is literally about as sedentary as it gets, and outside of the days I hit the gym I do virtually nothing physical. Like today was an all db back workout, db deadlifts, db rows, hammer pulldown (ok not all db) and db reverse flys. but that 40 minutes or so is it for me for the day, then its in front of a computer for 9 hours.

I think the idea of me switching to a circuit style and increasing my workout time to an hour probably would help kick it up a notch.
sounds exactly like my daily routine! riding that desk

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds exactly like my daily routine! riding that desk
it blows. basically 9 hours with main job, 1 hour with one part time job, and 1-2 with another, all in front of the computer, working from home. then still picking up the kids, making dinner, etc. Really the making dinner is the closest I get to physical activity. I should go pick up my son via bike today. hmmm

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it blows. basically 9 hours with main job, 1 hour with one part time job, and 1-2 with another, all in front of the computer, working from home. then still picking up the kids, making dinner, etc. Really the making dinner is the closest I get to physical activity. I should go pick up my son via bike today. hmmm
that is my day word for word man. lol!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The weekend wasn't bad, other than my weight. I'm still stuck at 217, my starting weight... I have no idea what the hell happened. So out of depression, I did an hour on the elliptical each Saturday and sunday and still at 217 today :p I am eating more veggies (too much cabbage) so I dunno if its roughage, water retention or what but the weight is staying the same. Waistline seems looser on some pants tho

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The weekend wasn't bad, other than my weight. I'm still stuck at 217, my starting weight... I have no idea what the hell happened. So out of depression, I did an hour on the elliptical each Saturday and sunday and still at 217 today :p I am eating more veggies (too much cabbage) so I dunno if its roughage, water retention or what but the weight is staying the same. Waistline seems looser on some pants tho
try shocking your system a little. Raise your cals by 500 for two days then reduce by 1500 (1000 below baseline) for 2 days and repeat. That type of cycle might be what you need for a little while.