Kenpo MAN's Up with PF3

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to MAN Sports for selecting me to log their new recovery product called PF3.
View attachment 87708

There has been quite a stir of interest here on AM about the effectiveness of this product. The only real effect that can be logged is muscle recovery.

Because of this, I'll only be taking my PWO and 1 scoop PF3 before my workout, 1 scoop protein isolate intra, followed by 1 scoop PF3 immediately post workout. Even though MAN was generous enough to include leucine, I decided to not use it to see only the effects of PF3 by itself.

I perform workouts on a daily basis in my garage gym. They are generally 1 to 1.5 hours long and utilize combinations of machines and free-weights:
View attachment 87709
I train with a HR monitor to time when my HR returns to a point that I can begin the next set. I'm a nerd engineer, what can I say!

Thanks for joining in. Let's get to it.

Added 1 scoop fruit punch PF3 then 10 oz of water to my shaker. Shaking vigorously resulted in a foamy head and undissolved PF3. Will try swirling next time and adding PF3 to the water to see if it dissolves better. Taste is acceptable, meaning it's the typical sucralose and acesulfame sweetness we all know but don't love.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A big thank you to MAN Sports for allowing me the opportunity to log their new product called PF3.

There has been quite a stir of interest here on AM about the effectiveness of this product. The only real effect that could be logged is muscle recovery.

Because of this, I only used my PWO and 1 scoop PF3 before my workout followed by 1 scoop PF3 immediately post workout. Even though MAN was generous enough to include leucine, I decided to not use it to see only the effects of PF3 by itself.

I completely stopped taking my whey isolate protein replacing it with protein from whole foods. I kept my usual macro amounts the same as before starting PF3.

After two tubs of use here are my thoughts:

Mixability: 8/10
Can't just do the dump and shake method, you have to fill your container with water, start swirling and slowly add PF3. Mixes perfectly this way.

Flavor: 8/10 I logged their fruit punch and candy grape flavors. Grape was my favorite and it tasted like grape pixi-sticks. I used 10 ounces of water and the taste was great without any overpowering sweetness.

Effectiveness/Results:
This is a controversial product to run.

As I mentioned above, I stopped all WPI powder and kept my macros consistent using whole foods. My issue is that WPI and other protein powders cause bloating and this log proved that to me from stopping all WPI consumption. To be clear, PF3 is not a protein substitute.

Recovery is the biggest benefit. PF3 has allowed me to lean out and experience super reduced DOMS, improved recovery and improved GI function. Recovery is so hard to judge as it really depends on your workout intensity, muscle stress level and duration. I can say that recovery time decreased while on PF3.

Other Considerations
Upon first dosing as your body gets used to this, I experienced a few days of loose bowel movements. Nothing bad just noticeably loose. After continuous use the GI system felt improved.

Overall
Overall I'd recommend PF3 to my fellow lifters. Anyone suffering IBS should definitely try this.

The only issue I have is the price point. PF3 is expensive and I think if MAN would drop the price they would gain market share.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
So far most are reporting foam with shakin, stirring seems to be best....

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First morning workout fasted, with Gameday PWO plus PF3 pre, isolate intra and PF3 post. Tried adding to water and swirling. Result was a clump. Going to try adding small amounts and swirling. It's no big deal as quite a few supps clump.

Lower Chest and Bi's:

Smith Decline Bench
175x10
215x6
235x3

EZ Bar Curl
70x10
100x8
90x10

Smith Decline WG Bench
175x8
195x8
205x5

DB Standing Alt Curl
40x8
45x8x2 Elbow tendon damage a month ago limited.

One hour limit and done. Will run PF3 for a week before commenting on effectiveness.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In brother! I love your set up, I'm totally jelly!!!

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
Holy crap you've got a nice set up there bro lol

Feel free to add the Leucine in around week 2, by then you should likely be able to notice a difference in terms of fullness and recovery among other things

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much for membership to your gym / barn?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much for membership to your gym / barn?
Thanks PH and AllNatural! I'd like a training partner. Anyone close to Mentor Ohio has "free" access to my gym! Lol

It's been in the making for 20 years and finally a great place to do anything from practicing martial arts to lifting.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slowly adding PF3 to water while swirling is the way to mix this. No shaking.

Back/Lats

DL
235x5
255x5
285x5
305x5

Pull-ups
BWx10x5

Wheel of Death (AB rollout on knees)
20x5

PF3 PWO, WPI intra and PF3 post. Done.

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Thanks PH and AllNatural! I'd like a training partner. Anyone close to Mentor Ohio has "free" access to my gym! Lol

It's been in the making for 20 years and finally a great place to do anything from practicing martial arts to lifting.
Yea that's a sick gym! I have a home gym but nothing that big, I live in South Bend IN probably not to far.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea that's a sick gym! I have a home gym but nothing that big, I live in South Bend IN probably not to far.
^ He is hinting at a visit to your home gym OP. ;) Just have him bring free products as the initiation fee.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^ He is hinting at a visit to your home gym OP. ;) Just have him bring free products as the initiation fee.
Lol. All are welcome. Brothers in iron, right?

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Oh yea if I'm ever over that way I would definitely bring him a tub of something MAN! Gotta spread the wealth of MAN supps and the MAN 1%er Army!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Slowly adding PF3 to water while swirling is the way to mix this. No shaking.
I'll have to try this! Great session!

Do you have hard water? I'm just curious, as the water in Nashville is kinda hard from all the limestone around these parts ;) I'm wondering if it might affect the solubility.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to try this! Great session!

Do you have hard water? I'm just curious, as the water in Nashville is kinda hard from all the limestone around these parts ;) I'm wondering if it might affect the solubility.
Thank you!

Cleveland Ohio's water is also hard.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Buffalo water is the nectar of the gods. If those gods are Hades, Lucifer, Cthulhu...

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mixed MAN's PF3 by slowly adding to water while swirling and no clumps. DLs yesterday usually make my back sore but so far no DOMS. Will give it another day to assess soreness.

Boxers Workout

Crunches
30, 30, 30, 30

Speed Bag
6 rounds 1 min on and 1 min off

Heavy Bag
6 rounds 1 min on and 2 min off

Hanging Leg Raise to Ceiling
3x10

Focusmaster
6 rounds 1 min on and 1 min off

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting observation: I'm sweating more during my workouts. Any one else seeing the same? Is PF3 showing any thermogenic effects?

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
Interesting observation: I'm sweating more during my workouts. Any one else seeing the same? Is PF3 showing any thermogenic effects?
One benefit is Pf3 helps mobilize fat for fuel; so that could be something

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Very nice I think your the first to report this type of effect!

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One benefit is Pf3 helps mobilize fat for fuel; so that could be something
Huh? Please, explain this. First I've heard of protein peptides having a strong beta-andrenergic agonizing effect. Sounds interesting.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
Dude! You're home gym rocks. That's my goal someday

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 scoops PF3 plus WPI. Noticing increases in recovery and reduction in DOMS. Also noticing an increase in sweating, thermogenic effect?

Special workout routine today:

Ladder Climbs
200-300

Brush Strokes
400-500

Equipment Carries

Lol. Repairing and painting trim on a 60x40 building on my property. Last weekend was power washing and wall painting. Whew, now "this" is a workout!

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
I like this thermogenic effect your getting!

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Somebody, please explain how the thermogenic effects of PF3 works. Interesting.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 scoops PF3 plus WPI. Noticing increases in recovery and reduction in DOMS. Also noticing an increase in sweating, thermogenic effect?

Ladder Climbs
200-300

Brush Strokes
400-500

Equipment Carries

Lol. Repairing and painting trim on a 60x40 building on my property. Last weekend was power washing and wall painting. Whew, now "this" is a workout!
Nice workout ;)

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Ladder Climbs
200-300

Brush Strokes
400-500

Equipment Carries

Lol. I love real world workouts. In my last log, I took 2 scoops pump x3 and did yard work in a wife beater. Had to show the neighbors what was up!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ladder Climbs
200-300

Brush Strokes
400-500

Equipment Carries

Hell yes! I can't really attribute the sweating to PF3, because I was sweating like a whore in church before it with this high-volume timed-set stuff I'm doing right now ;) I also had a PWO with some Yohimbine in it, so there is that.

I love the recovery so far, though. It is really pretty amazing.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol. I love real world workouts. In my last log, I took 2 scoops pump x3 and did yard work in a wife beater. Had to show the neighbors what was up!
Absolutely, I have been known to do "HIIT lawnmowing" where I do hill sprints with my push mower on the hill in my front yard ;)

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Absolutely, I have been known to do "HIIT lawnmowing" where I do hill sprints with my push mower on the hill in my front yard ;)
Oh hell no, I do the same thing! A guy in my neighborhood actually puts on a black trash bag like suit and runs cutting the grass. That's a little too intense for me:)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am amazed this morning. Painting job yesterday should have left me sore and complaining. This is not the case. I feel great. Even the normal DOMS in the back muscles from the deadlifts the other day is not being felt. PF3 kicking in and boom! Hmmm!!!

Chest today

Machine Decline Bench
175x10
215x6
235x3

Machine Flat Bench
175x8
195x6
215x4

Machine Incline
145x5
125x10x2

DB Flat Press
50x10x3

Push-up Routine
10x10 Each set different type

Wheel O Death from Knees
10x5

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wondering if you're sweating more because the PF3 is allowing you to work harder and longer in the gym? Amping up your intensity perhaps?

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am amazed this morning. Painting job yesterday should have left me sore and complaining. This is not the case. I feel great. Even the normal DOMS in the back muscles from the deadlifts the other day is not being felt. PF3 kicking in and boom! Hmmm!!!

Chest today

Machine Decline Bench
175x10
215x6
235x3

Machine Flat Bench
175x8
195x6
215x4

Machine Incline
145x5
125x10x2

DB Flat Press
50x10x3

Push-up Routine
10x10 Each set different type

Wheel O Death from Knees
10x5
I see your still killing it as well! "Wheel O Death" I love that!!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see your still killing it as well! "Wheel O Death" I love that!!!
Thanks Reggie. That medieval mechanical contraption kills the abs. Work it by rolling out at different angles and it kills them! I love it so! Lol

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Reggie. That medieval mechanical contraption kills the abs. Work it by rolling out at different angles and it kills them! I love it so! Lol
I know of the one you speak of or at least I think I do and your right its an AB beast lol

chefbo

chefbo

Awards
Me too. I am working up all kinds of sweat in a very short amount of time
Didn't think it was anything until I read thus.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Old guys doing heavy stuff!
Bring on young bucks!
Keep killing it kenpo!!!!
Thanks Chefbo, you are killing it as well. We old guys need to keep it rolling. No walker for me! Lol