Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PF3.png

Pure_PF3_large.jpeg

Introduction

Hey guys. I am excited to start my first log on AM! I was fortunate to be selected to log MAN Sports new product, Pure PF3.

Although I am new to logging on AM, I am no stranger to logging. This post is intended to introduce myself, my nutrition and training, as well as supplementation while I use this new product.

I am a 38 year old father of a five year old little boy, residing in Nashville, TN. My wife has been very supportive of my goals, and I am so glad that I have her to help me.

I have only been lifting since November of 2011, after deciding to lose weight in March of 2011. I started out at ~335 lbs. and ~45% BF. As of Saturday, I weighed in at 215.8# and ~20% BF. I stand right at 5' 9.5" tall.

I obtained a Master's degree in Medical and Urban Anthropology in 2008, and am approaching the three year mark for my current job as a social science researcher at a medical center.

Training

I have primarily used a strength routine since I started lifting, beginning with Stronglifts. I have since moved to 5/3/1 BBB, and recently decided to change to 5/3/1 Bodybuilder. I need to put on more muscle mass, and I figure this is one of the best ways to do it!

I am basically still using a 5/3/1 scheme for my core lifts (Deadlift, OHP, Bench and Squat), with lots of high rep accessory movements. I currently train four days per week.

Here's how it is split up:

Monday: OHP, Face Pull, DB OHP, Bentover DB Raise, DB Curl
Tuesday: Deadlift, Lat Pulldowns or Chins, DB Row, Back Extensions, Ab Wheel
Thursday: Bench Press, DB Bench, Dips, DB Fly/Pec Deck, Tricep Pushdowns
Friday: Low Bar Squat. Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Situps

My current calculated 1RMs are:

Bench: 190
DL: ~335
Squat: ~203
OHP: 133

My Squat is low because I have had form issues that I am trying to correct, but it is slowly coming back up. I just keep on pushing!

Nutrition:

I recently switched back from IF to "regular" eating. I also stopped carb cycling.

My current intake is based on a "slow" bulk, and I keep meticulous track of calories and macros on MFP.

Here is my current intake:

3,600 calories per day

180g Protein (.82g per lb.)
100g Fat (~.45g per lb.)
495g Carbs

I strive to hit the minimums on Fat and Protein first, and may fill in with more Fat or Protein to hit my calories, but generally stay close to these numbers.

Letely, I have been getting all of my protein from food, and will do the same for this log, except for PF3 ;)

Supplementation:

I don't really supplement with a lot, mostly the basics. I actually started some ARA (X-Factor Advanced a couple of weeks ago, and will describe my dosing scheme below, with my other supplements:

Multivitamin: Orange Triad, split 3 and 3 with morning and evening meals

Fish Oil: Generally 2-3g EPA/DHA per day, but not while taking ARA.

ARA: I am currently taking 4 pills of X-Factor Advanced 45 minutes pre-workout on workout days only.

Creatine Mono: 5g daily

Vitamin D: 2,000 IU in addition to the amount in Orange Triad

Pre-workouts: I have various pre-workouts, but recently got a tub of Jack3d Advanced. I'm going to try an pick up a tub of Game Day on the first. Getting paid once per month sucks ;)

PF3 Dosing Plan:​

I plan on dosing PF3 as follows:

Workout days

Pre-workout: One scoop of Pure PF3 pre-workout with my ARA, 1 scoop of Fermented Leucine and a pre-workout

Intra-workout: One scoop of Pure PF3 during my workout, with 1 scoop of Fermented Leucine

Post-workout: One scoop of Pure PF3 with 1 scoop of Fermented Leucine

Rest Days

1 scoop of Pure PF3 in the AM, mid-day and Evening. I haven't decided if i will dose with Fermented Leucine on these days or not. Probably not. Let me know what you guys think!

Starting Stats:

I weighed in on Saturday morning, and will weigh in again on Tuesday to get a more recent weight. I also took measurements on Saturday. Here are those results:

Weight: 215.8#

Navel: 36.5"

Biceps: 14.5"

Thighs: 23"

Hips: 39"

Calves: 16"

Chest: 45 3/4"

Shoulders: 50"

Before Pictures

These are not the best pictures, but the best I could do yesterday. I stuck my phone to the mirror with some clay ;)

Front Unflexed/Flexed:

IMG_20130825_132438_274.jpg
IMG_20130825_132926_082.jpg

Side Unflexed/Flexed:

IMG_20130825_132453_566.jpg
IMG_20130825_132501_863.jpg

Front and back Double Bicep Pose:

IMG_20130825_132446_336.jpg
IMG_20130825_132823_373.jpg

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know I'm here!

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
In on this.... (Any relation to Walter White...?) :p

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not completely sure I'm going to take the Fermented Leucine three times on workout days or on rest days. Any reason why I shouldn't? I'm wondering if pre-workout and post-workout might be enough. I assume the ARA wouldn't throw anything off too bad, would it?

And do you guys think a carb source is needed with the Leucine and PF3 as well? I generally train fasted in the early morning.

chefbo

chefbo

Awards
subbed misfit good luck! i'll be logging as soon as I get it. sub to it if you like i'll light it up soon!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subbed misfit good luck! i'll be logging as soon as I get it. sub to it if you like i'll light it up soon!
Thanks, brother! Will sub to yours when you get it up.

I got my tubs today, but resisting the temptation to use any today. I hit shoulders and biceps this morning.

I have Deadlifts tomorrow.

I think I'm going to dose one scoop with my pre and ARA, one scoop intra with BCAAs, and one scoop post with two scoops of Fermented Leucine.

I'm also going to try dosing only two scoops on Rest days, like it says on the bottle.

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
Thanks, brother! Will sub to yours when you get it up.

I got my tubs today, but resisting the temptation to use any today. I hit shoulders and biceps this morning.

I have Deadlifts tomorrow.

I think I'm going to dose one scoop with my pre and ARA, one scoop intra with BCAAs, and one scoop post with two scoops of Fermented Leucine.

I'm also going to try dosing only two scoops on Rest days, like it says on the bottle.
Liking the dosing protocol bro, in :)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the great strides you made. Wow! Losing 120 lbs! You are on the road to health and longevity!

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not completely sure I'm going to take the Fermented Leucine three times on workout days or on rest days. Any reason why I shouldn't? I'm wondering if pre-workout and post-workout might be enough. I assume the ARA wouldn't throw anything off too bad, would it?

And do you guys think a carb source is needed with the Leucine and PF3 as well? I generally train fasted in the early morning.
To start at the end first, no it does not need to be taken with a carb source it would be just fine fasted, but hey throw in some sugar and see how you like it with some carbs. All four tubs are yours so you get to play around with the dosing as much as you want. That's the great thing about logging! IN!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
In....ready for some great feedback

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright guys, heading to the gym this fine morning for Deadlifts.

Trying a total of three scoops today: pre, intra and post.

Update coming when I get to work :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Alright guys, heading to the gym this fine morning for Deadlifts.

Trying a total of three scoops today: pre, intra and post.

Update coming when I get to work :)
This is a nice dosing regiment.....

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quick update before my real update with my workout. Last night I made a few videos.....

[video=youtube_share;wVzeh9YmcDQ]http://youtu.be/wVzeh9YmcDQ[/video]

I'll have to post them one at a time :( I should have made just one video, but I kept thinking of things ;)

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;eFDWF9LaNWU]http://youtu.be/eFDWF9LaNWU[/video]

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;4akMlO7KRjM]http://youtu.be/4akMlO7KRjM[/video]

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;3e6s_bQPrm4]http://youtu.be/3e6s_bQPrm4[/video]

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Update: 8/27/2013

Hey guys, I hit Deadlifts and a bunch of accessories this morning.

I dosed the PF3 like this:

1 scoop with 1 scoop of pre-workout and my ARA caps 45 minutes before the gym.

1 scoop mixed with 1 scoop of BCAAs taken intra-workout.

1 scoop mixed with 5g Creatine Mono and 2 scoops of Fermented Leucine.

After my post-workout dose, I ate my post-workout meal of 1 cup of oats, a banana and a greek yogurt with some trail mix.

I am very interested to see how my recovery goes. My traps, lats and lower back are usually killing me after my workouts on Tuesdays.

Mixability is decent so far, and the taste is great.

One note: I mixed the PF3 and BCAAs last night and put them in the fridge. I usually do this with BCAAs, as it helps them dissolve. This morning as I drinking my intra, I discovered big hunks of PF3. Didn't bother me too bad, but it was a bit difficult to swallow the big chunks ;) Maybe I will mix it right before my workout next time. In fact, I think I am just going to dose before and after my workouts for the rest of the log. It seems to me that three scoops that close together may not be very advantageous, and may actually waste product.

As others have mentioned, foaming is very prevalent with this product, especially mixed with Leucine and/or BCAAs. I actually expected that. I will see how PF3 mixed solo does tomorrow evening.

Here's the workout I did this morning. I have point values listed because I track on Fitocracy, for those of you wondering ;) The DB rows are 40# sets of 10 per arm. I was dripping sweat when I got done, as I did all of this in about an hour:

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
155 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)
185 lb x 3 reps (+74 pts)
230 lb x 5 reps (+125 pts)
265 lb x 3 reps (+127 pts)
295 lb x 5 reps (+194 pts)

5/3/1 Bodybuilder C1, W3, D2: Felt kinda weak on DLs today. Tightening up my form a bit. I blame a lack of quality sleep for my weakness today. Still got 1+, of course, but wanted more reps.

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown:

112.5 lb x 10 reps (+33 pts)

Widened up my grip to really hit my lats. 60s between sets.

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

40 lb x 10 reps (+39 pts)

Man, these got me dripping sweat! 60s between sets, except for 90s between Sets 3 & 4.

Hyperextension:

15 reps (+5 pts)
15 reps (+5 pts)
15 reps (+5 pts)
15 reps (+5 pts)

Man, my glutes were on fire after these! 90s between sets.

Ab Wheel (kneeling):

10 reps (+18 pts)
10 reps (+18 pts)
10 reps (+18 pts)
10 reps (+18 pts)

90s between sets. I may need to move up to 15 reps per set here.

Stretching:

5 min (+2 pts)

Lats, hams, quads, piriformis, calves

Shoulder Dislocation:

10 reps (+5 pts)
10 reps (+5 pts)

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And, one more video of mixing my post-workout dose:

[video=youtube_share;Lkyi--qH3xY]http://youtu.be/Lkyi--qH3xY[/video]

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To start at the end first, no it does not need to be taken with a carb source it would be just fine fasted, but hey throw in some sugar and see how you like it with some carbs. All four tubs are yours so you get to play around with the dosing as much as you want. That's the great thing about logging! IN!
Thanks for the input :) I might try carbs with it on leg day. I'll try out Bench day on Thursday and see how that feels.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
Update: 8/27/2013
One note: I mixed the PF3 and BCAAs last night and put them in the fridge. I usually do this with BCAAs, as it helps them dissolve. This morning as I drinking my intra, I discovered big hunks of PF3. Didn't bother me too bad, but it was a bit difficult to swallow the big chunks ;) Maybe I will mix it right before my workout next time. In fact, I think I am just going to dose before and after my workouts for the rest of the log. It seems to me that three scoops that close together may not be very advantageous, and may actually waste product.)
yeah, the same thing happens with casein if it sits more than 10 minutes before consumption; it has to do with the molecular weight i think.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah, the same thing happens with casein if it sits more than 10 minutes before consumption; it has to do with the molecular weight i think.
I believe the reason is that the bio-actives in general are hydrophobic. They essentially do not dissolve in water.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe the reason is that the bio-actives in general are hydrophobic. They essentially do not dissolve in water.
Hmm, interesting. Doesn't matter to me, as long as it does what it's supposed to ;)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm, interesting. Doesn't matter to me, as long as it does what it's supposed to ;)
Yeah, that's why you found it in clumps the next day. The stuff settled and since it's hydrophobic, it didn't absorb or break down in water. Just shake it up real nice the next time to break the stuff up again.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, that's why you found it in clumps the next day. The stuff settled and since it's hydrophobic, it didn't absorb or break down in water. Just shake it up real nice the next time to break the stuff up again.
Yep. I had to chew it mid-workout, LOL.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
yeah. after 30 minutes this one time i couldnt get casein to pour out of the glass; come to think of it, it did have some mixability issues as well when stirring, but after those 30 minutes it had transformed into this gelantinous mass; the water was able to do something to it over time that it couldnt do off the bat when i normally downed it

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Update: 8/28/2013

Here's my update for today. Today is my rest day, so I dosed 1 scoop of the Candy Grape PF3 in 10 ounces of water with 5g Creatine Mono.

The smell and taste of the grape is pretty awesome, but it does NOT mix well at all. I now see what jbry was talking about. After a few minutes it broke up a bit, but it became a clump that settled on the bottom almost right after I poured it into the water. The fruit Punch seems to mix marginally better.

I have heard that the Unflavored mixes really well. As Jbry also said, maybe it has something to do with the flavors/colors?

Another note: I usually wake up with sore glutes, traps, lower back and hamstrings after Deadlifts and Hypers. This seems to be even more prevalent with the ARA that I have been taking.

However, this morning I have little to no DOMS at ALL!. I'll have to see if it hits me tomorrow, but so far so good! This can't be "placebo", IMO. I could just be getting more used to the higher volume. I will certainly find out after Friday, which is Leg day!

I will dose my second scoop right before/with dinner. I decided to save my Fermented Leucine for Post-workout only. It seems a waste to use it on rest days.

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Man this is awesome I hope your recovery keeps up! This will be huge for PF3 to get that recovery so fast!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man this is awesome I hope your recovery keeps up! This will be huge for PF3 to get that recovery so fast!
Absolutely! I'm going to see how I feel in the morning, but so far so good!

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These clumping effects remind me of Vitargo. I'm wondering if the PF3 can limit the DOMS from going hard or not

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These clumping effects remind me of Vitargo. I'm wondering if the PF3 can limit the DOMS from going hard or not
Hmm, I never tried that. Just looked it up.

I'll tell you one thing, not having DOMS from that routine yesterday is kinda freaking me out ;)

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm, I never tried that. Just looked it up.

I'll tell you one thing, not having DOMS from that routine yesterday is kinda freaking me out ;)
Me too. I would usually have a sore chest from the DB presses. Especially when I go real deep to get good stretch. Feels like I didn't workout at all.. Placebo usually doesn't carry over to next day lol... Can't wait to see how the rest of my log goes.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Me too. I would usually have a sore chest from the DB presses. Especially when I go real deep to get good stretch. Feels like I didn't workout at all.. Placebo usually doesn't carry over to next day lol... Can't wait to see how the rest of my log goes.
Same here! I'm curious to see if it is more delayed than normal. Like it will hit me tomorrow or something.

I'm not so sure it's placebo. Remember, I am on Arachidonic Acid too, and that has made me feel like I just started working out for the first time!

Like I said, the real test will be tomorrow (Chest) and Friday (Legs). I can't wait!!!

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
Same here! I'm curious to see if it is more delayed than normal. Like it will hit me tomorrow or something.I'm not so sure it's placebo. Remember, I am on Arachidonic Acid too, and that has made me feel like I just started working out for the first time!Like I said, the real test will be tomorrow (Chest) and Friday (Legs). I can't wait!!!
wow. thats incredible