Eat, Train, Sleep: Athletix High Volume and Acute FX

SPLocal

Awards
Welcome

This sponsored log will chronicle my experience with Athletix High Volume and Acute FX as stacked pre-workout supplements.

Both supplements will be dosed at recommended dosages, but because of the stellar profile for both products I’ve decided to buy an additional unit of each to extend this log to a full 40 day run.
I hope that this will provide a more extensive feedback regarding the consistency and efficacy of these products, particularly when dealing with things like stimulant tolerance and gauging the ability of a pre-workout to accentuate endurance (and pumps) during weight training.

History, Mentality, and Goals

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my logs and logging style, I’ll note that the emphasis of my training is towards powerlifting. After several years of hypertrophy training (with goals for competitive bodybuilding), I’ve decided to make the transition towards a more strength-oriented approach and “end game” for my training.
For those of you who have followed my logs at PHF—and to a lesser degree at AM—you will know that it’s been quite a road for me, full of ups, downs, and steps both forward and backwards. As with most things in life, however, honesty is the best policy. I have been a victim to both ego-lifting and a lack of proper knowledge base to varying degrees during my training career: but fortunately I have put both of these obstacles behind me, and can pursue my development with self-honesty and positivity.

My long term goal is to compete in the ~180lbs weight class as a raw powerlifter (federation yet to be decided), though I plan on placing in a year or so more structured strength training before I begin. I am attracted to the test of physical and mental fortitude that powerlifting provides, and though I still maintain a “bodybuilder’s mentality” with regards to diet, conditioning, and proportions—slow, steady, and sustainable strength development are the means to my ends.

The goal for this log is to employ the Athletix stack in the most productive and efficacious fashion possible: to produce positive progress both under the bar and in the mirror.

Training

I currently employ Wendler’s 5/3/1 for Powerlifting template, with the Simplest Strength Template as the basis for my major accessory work, after which I pursue a more “pump-oriented” approach until the end of my sessions. I prefer not to employ bands, chains, and other more specialized forms of equipment for my training.

Notes and Gratitude

I will be recording my exercises, weights moved, caloric consumption, and dietary content as per my usual logging protocol; I will also be posting image updates periodically.

I want to thank the Athletix reps, particularly JudgementDay and wasme, for providing me with this opportunity, as well as all who follow, contribute, and engage one another (and myself) during the course of this log.

Let’s get to work!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
In!

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
In as well

SPLocal

Awards
Starting Statistics

Height: 5'8"
Weight: ~170-171

Here are the training (one-rep) maxes I will be working with for this cycle:
BB Flat Bench-280
BB Squat-370
BB Overhead Press-180
BB Deadlift-470

These numbers are far from impressive. The greatest lag is with my squat, which I have regrettably lost much progress on due to "shallow" squatting for the bulk of my training career. Before I can even think about competing, I would like to attain 300/400/500 training max in the bench/squat/deadlift ratio, so as you can see I'm still a ways away!

Here are some recent pictures, upper body is cold and quads are pumped:

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sub'd .. looking forward to seeing what you think!

SPLocal

Awards
Just a brief update, I was hoping the goods would have arrived on Monday but they're not here yet!
Once they arrive I will begin logging my sessions.

My thank to all who are following so far; hopefully this run finds the same success that we see in the other HV/AFX logs.

SPLocal

Awards
Speak of the devil, I came home to find these waiting for me:

Let's begin!

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day One-Press Complex A
--Power Movement--
BB OHP: 125x3, 145x3, 160x3, 170x1, 175x1
Extra Work: 145x5, 145x5
--SST Movement--
BB Flat Press: 170x8, 200x8, 225x6
Extra Work: 205x5, 185x5
--Accessories--
Weighted Dips: +45x8, +45x8, +45x8
DB Flat Press: 75x10, 75x10, 75x10
DB Lateral Raise: 30x10, 35x10, 40x10
Tricep Pressdown: 100 repetitions, mixed grips and attachments

Off to a good start, I hit all of my numbers today and threw in some decent accessory work; now that I'm back at my local gym I will have to reorient some of my accessory choices to accommodate equipment (or lack thereof: damned leg press is out of order so I can't put it the unilateral work I enjoy).

I mixed the AFX and HV powders together and found it to taste surprisingly as described: there is a definite "tart" or "tang" to the flavor particularly when paired with one another (Raspberry Lemonade AFX and Pink Lemonade HV). I mixed them in a highball/whiskey glass so I should have added more water to dilute things a bit. Pumps were excellent today but I expected as much given the HV profile. I have a somewhat high stimulant tolerance but the AF kept me going throughout the session. I'm excited to see what these products can do for me in the long-term, particularly HV and its ergogenic aids.

Several days of graduation celebration meals/outings have left me well beyond my predetermined calorie surplus window, so I will be tightening things up as best I can to give myself a bit of a cushion for on-cycle bulking later in the year.

Consumption:
Meal A: 100g oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop isolate
Meal B: 100g oats, 2 scoop isolate, 2 whole eggs, assorted veggies
Meal C: 100g turkey breast, 2 whole eggs, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal D: 200g chicken breast, assorted veggies
Meal E: 300g cottage cheese, 1 scoop isolate

3080 cal, 80g fat, 255g carb, 335g prot

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day Two-Squat Complex
--Power Movement--
BB Squat: 260x3, 300x3, 335x3, 340x1, 345x1, 350x1
--SST Movement--
BB Deadlift: 285x8, 330x8, 375x8
--Accessories--
BB High-Bar Squat: 135x10, 185x10, 225x10
Unilateral Leg Press (plates per side): 2x12, 2x12, 2x12
Leg Extension: 100 repetitions total, alternate between bilateral/unilateral
Weighted Hyperextensions: +45x12, +45x12, +45x12

Great session today, I was stoked to hit those singles after the 90% work. I had an old former powerlifter/bodybuilder watching my form and it was enlightening. I've been so worried about my depth I end up going almost ATG for the bulk of my sets--I'm still looking for my groove with the movement. I dosed the HV and AFX a bit further from my session today and it did make a difference as far as synchronizing the "kick" with my working sets was concerned. A heavier water intake during dosing also helped.

And for today's consumption:
Meal A: 100g oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop isolate
Meal B: 1 scoop isolate, 100g chicken breast, 2 whole eggs, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal C: 100g oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop isolate
Meal D: 200g chicken breast, assorted veggies
Meal E: 300g cottage cheese, 1 scoop isolate

3080 cal, 80g fat, 255g carb, 335g prot

(Yes, you're reading that correctly. I ate the same exact thing/macros as yesterday)

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day Three-Press Complex B
--Power Movement--
BB Flat: 195x3, 225x3, 250x3, 270x1, 280x1
Extra Work: 225x5, 185x5, 135x5
--SST Movement--
BB OHP: 105x8, 130x8, 165x5
--Accessories--
Weighted Dips: +35x10, +35x10, +35x10
HS Incline Press: 45x10, 55x10, 55x10

Technically I wasn't supposed to train today, but given that this week was truncated by Tuesday's delivery of the AFX/HV I felt that I would put the ergogenic aids in HV to the test by hitting the flat bench. The results speak for themselves: 280 is my estimated training max and I was able to hit it despite only one day's rest between training the delt-tri-pectoral chain on Wednesday. Needless to say, I am excited to see what happens with strength as the log goes on.

Tomorrow, depending on how I'm feeling, will be a back/biceps session as per my schedule. Sunday will be a much needed off day before I begin my "3x5 week" on Monday. Thanks to all who are still following!

Consumption:
Meal A: 80g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein
Meal B: 1 scoop isolate, 200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal C: 80g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein, 30g pistachios
Meal D: 200g chicken breast, 30g pistachios, assorted veggies
Meal E: 400g cottage cheese, 1 scoop casein

3005 cal, 85g fat, 226g carb, 335g protein

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This log is looking great man! Congrats on the PR!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking strong in here man - you know we have extremely similar totals & individual numbers (bp 285, sq 445, dl 535 here), & I know how heavy that 165x5 OHP is for us - especially after such a heavy single.

Awesome work! The Athletix ain't hurtin' any, that's for sure!

SPLocal

Awards
This log is looking great man! Congrats on the PR!
Thank you sir; I'm gunning for a 300 bench press within the coming 8 weeks or so, at ~170lbs I think that wouldn't be too shabby.

Looking strong in here man - you know we have extremely similar totals & individual numbers (bp 285, sq 445, dl 535 here), & I know how heavy that 165x5 OHP is for us - especially after such a heavy single.

Awesome work! The Athletix ain't hurtin' any, that's for sure!
You were not kidding about the OHP's earlier in my inter-cycle log, I don't think I've ever encountered such a taxing lift whether working with reps or singles. I'm quite jealous that you've broken the 200lb barrier with yours, it gives me encouragement to keep pushing! I will say that the OHP has done wonders for for my delt-pec tie-in as well as for trapezius thickness.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah 300 at 170 is pretty damn impressive. I felt really athletic when I was hitting 260 at 170, 300 is beast mode man!

SPLocal

Awards
Week One: Day Four-Pull Complex B
Weighted Chins- +50x5, +70x5, +70x4, +70x4, +45x5
DB Row- 100x10, 120x10, 120x10, 120x8, 120x5
Unilateral Hammer Curl-30x8, 40x8, 40x8, 40x8
Cable Upright Row-100 repetitions, ascending/descending weight up to 120lbs
Cable Lat Pulldown-100 repetitions, ascending/descending weight up to 130lbs

Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket. I had some of the greatest pumps in a while today, I'd even say they were comparable to those I've experienced while on cycle. My back has always been my "showpiece" muscle and I have a great genetic disposition for width and thickness, so naturally it has become my favorite group to train. "Pull Complex B" is distinguished from the "A" variant in that it is an all-out back/biceps session, where as the "A" complex deals with deadlifts and the posterior chain.

I will be taking tomorrow off as it is much needed, and on Monday I will begin a full week of sessions and inaugurate an 8-week attempt to recomp and build strength with some dietary modifications, and of course, HV/AFX as my pre-workout stack.

Consumption:
Meal A-100g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein
Meal B-200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal C-100g chicken breast, 100g turkey breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 200g greek yogurt
Meal D-400g cottage cheese, 2 scoop casein, 35g peanut butter, assorted veggies

3005 cal, 65g fat, 265g carb, 340g prot

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Day One-Press Complex A
--Power Movement--
BB Flat: 185x5, 210x5, 240x5
Extra Work: 205x5, 185x5, 135x5
--SST Movement--
BB OHP: 110x10, 130x10, 135x5/5
--Accessories--
Weighted Dips: +35x10, +35x10, +35x10
DB Flat: 70x10, 70x10, 70x10
Cable Chest Flye: 100 repetitions, stagnant weight (45 lbs)
Tricep Pressdowns: 100 repetitions, undulating weights, mixed grips

After last weeks successes I will say I'm rather beat up; 185 felt like 225 in my hands today, though I blame that on my lack of sleep. Regardless, I got the repetitions out by hook or crook. I've decided to split my original Press Complex A (a chest-back split) into two components, meaning that my split will now be something akin to (Press, Squat, Pull) on a rotating cycle with one day of rest per three days of training. I will compensate by upping my calories and restricting the amount of assistance work done per session, particularly during the back-biceps sessions. Hopefully this will allow me to focus more on the major movements.

Consumption:
Meal A-80g oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop isolate
Meal B-200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 100g cottage cheese, 1 scoop isolate, assorted veggies
Meal C-80g oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop isolate, 32g peanut butter, assorted veggies
Meal D-100g chicken breast, assorted veggies
Meal E-200g cottage cheese, 1 scoop casein, 32g peanut butter

3195 cal, 95g fat, 245g carb, 340g prot

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had those days too, get under the bench and 185 feels like 225. Lack of sleep will do it.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Day Three-Squat Complex
--Power Movement--
BB Squat: 240x5, 280x5, 315x5
--SST Movement--
BB Deadlift: 300x10, 330x10, 355x10
--Accessories--
Unilateral Leg Press: 180x8, 270x8, 290x8
Leg Extension: 100 repetitions, ascending/descending pyramid

Had to make things brief today but got all the numbers in; having some more experienced trainees around to watch my squat form is helping quite a bit. Over the past few weeks I had been somewhat "overcorrecting" for my previously shallow squatting by hitting an exaggerated depth, which while fine in and of itself does nothing for my total and needs to be moderated so that I can be more familiar with the "groove" of my squats. Nonetheless, work continues and I'm looking forward to next weeks 5/3/1 requirements.

Consumption:
Meal A-80g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein
Meal B-200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 100g cottage cheese, 1 scoop isolate, assorted veggies
Meal C-1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 32g peanut butter
Meal D-300g cottage cheese, 60g pistachios, assorted veggies
Meal E-200g chicken breast assorted veggies

3250 cal, 88g fat, 253g carb, 355g prot

I need to get a handle on the intake! For some reason I've just felt like a furnace lately, especially for fats.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice deads! after squats too!

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Day Three-Pull Complex
Weighted Chins: +45x5, +70x5, +70x5, +75x3, +75x3
DB Row: 100x10, 120x8, 120x8, 120x8
--
DB Hammer Curl: 30x8, 40x8, 50x6, 40x8, 30x8
HS Seated Row (plates per side): 2x12, 2.5x10, 3x10, 3.5x6
--
Upright Row: 100 repetitions, ~100-110lbs
Bilateral Cable Curl: 100 repetitions, undulating weights for pump work

Turns out splitting the original chest/back combination into two separate days was not the best idea! I've been feeling heavily fatigued as of late but I think it has more to do with sleep issues and other stressors. Certainly, as I'm training (aside from today) I feel like I can handle everything--and I haven't missed any of my lifts or numbers--but I believe my body is giving me a hint that it requires some down time. I may take this weekend off as I'm very much focused on not only hitting, but surpassing next weeks 5/3/1 percentages and getting a better sense of what my "true" 1RMs are.

I've decided that beginning on August 18th, I will begin a 12-week endeavor devoted to the following goals: a 300lb bench, a 400lb squat, a 500lb deadlift, and a 175lb bodyweight with reasonable/regulated fat gains.

While I've either surpassed (bench) or edged near (deadlift) these numbers during previous on-cycle phases, hitting them not only naturally but with competition-form (i.e. all the technicalities in place) is my primary objective. Perhaps my strength is in fact closer to these numbers than I believe it to be, but I want to make this endeavor slow, sustainable, and solid. A "fluke" lift here or there does me nothing in the long run, I need to dominate these loads and make them mine.

If these goals can be met, I will then transition from this inter-phase cycle into my next PH/DS run. If not, I will refrain from cycling until then.

Consumption:
Meal B-1 scoop isolate, 200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 100g cottage cheese, assorted veggies
Meal C-2 scoop isolate, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 32g peanut butter, assorted veggies
Meal D-4 whole eggs, assorted veggies
Meal E-200g turkey thigh, 100g cottage cheese, assorted veggies

3045 cal, 85g fat, 230g carb, 340g protein

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn 100 rep set, ouch! Those would be some hardcore pumps with High Volume and 100 rep set of curls.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Two: Days Three and Four-Press Complex B and Pull Complex B

Training has been somewhat hectic for the past few days; yesterday's press complex (OHP-centric) went well but I opted for pump work as DOMS has been somewhat exaggerated for me recently. This morning I went in for deadlifts only to find to no available collars because (1) gym members have been stealing them, (2) this has caused the need for a "check-out" system whereby you give your keys as collateral for a pair of collars, (3) people are still stealing the collars despite this system, and (4) a woman was using the only available pair for her 30lb EZ-Bar skullcrushers.

Needless to say, I was pissed; I don't re-rack my weights, clean up my chalk, and pay monthly to be told that my own damned gym--a corporate/commercial gym, at that--cannot provide collars for the safety of its members (though I'm not so much as mad with the gym as I am with the *******s who are stealing them).

Long story short, I eventually got a hold of some collars but the "feel" of the session had been lost, I did some pump work and hit my 5-rep requirements (up to 410x5) for 5/3/1 and left.

I do believe I will take tomorrow and Sunday off aside from cardio and calves training, so that I can be fresh for Monday's max-effort week and inaugurate this little quest I'm on to gain 5 lean-as-possible lbs in 12 weeks and to hit a 300/400/500 training max for the bench/squat/deadlift.

I will say though that High Volume has been an absolute blast when it comes to my pump training!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Needless to say, I was pissed; I don't re-rack my weights, clean up my chalk, and pay monthly to be told that my own damned gym--a corporate/commercial gym, at that--cannot provide collars for the safety of its members (though I'm not so much as mad with the gym as I am with the *******s who are stealing them).

I will say though that High Volume has been an absolute blast when it comes to my pump training!
That is crazy. Surprises me the lengths people will go... or maybe it doesn't anymore..

Great to hear you are enjoy HV so much..

SPLocal

Awards
So in the interests of full disclosure...I hit the gym this morning and worked up to 320x1, 355x1, and 370x1 on squats...after pulling 410x5 on Saturday.

And I may or may not have just eaten 2 scoops of Trutein, 4 tbsp peanut butter, and an unfathomable amount of my cousin's birthday cake.

I'd feel guilty about it, but a man can only eat his chicken breasts and veggies for so long!

Tearing it up in here. People are idiots.
Yeah brother, it really frustrates me. I'm going to have to invest in a pair of collars now and that money could have been put elsewhere.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day One-Press Complex A
--Power Movement--
BB Flat: 210x5, 240x3, 270x1, 280x1
--SST Movements--
BB OHP: 120x5, 135x5, 155x5
BB CGBP: 180x5, 210x5, 235x3
--Volume Work--
Weighted Dips: +35x10, +45x8, +45x8
DB Flat: 70x10, 75x10, 80x10
Cable Flye: 50 repetitions, undulating weights/grips
Cable Pressdown: 50 repetitions, undulating weights/grips

Looks like yesterday's carb-up really brought the strength out for me today: the 280 went up nice and smooth, feeling much better than when I originally hit it.

I've been getting an increasing amount of compliments lately on my size, and though my bodyfat is a bit higher than I would prefer it to be my lats, delts, and trapezius thickness/width have increased proportionally and I'm retaining my v-taper.

Current weight is 172lbs, which is the heaviest I've ever been while natty. After hitting the 370 squat yesterday I'm right on track to attain the goals I seek.
It is time, however, to dial in the calories a bit and perhaps attempt to recomp or bulk at a slower pace. I'm going to attempt some carb cycling experiments with my macros beneath an overall intake of ~3000kcal, which puts me at a ~300kcal surplus from maintenance.

But we are off to a great start with this little quest I'm on to bench 300lbs; I'm excited!

Consumption:
Meal A: 80g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 1 scoop casein
Meal B: 1 scoop isolate, 200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal C: 1 scoop isolate, 100g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal D: 2 scoop isolate, 400g cottage cheese, 4 tbsp peanut butter, assorted veggies

~3000cal, 80g fat, 231g carb, 319g protein

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Training has been somewhat hectic for the past few days; yesterday's press complex (OHP-centric) went well but I opted for pump work as DOMS has been somewhat exaggerated for me recently. This morning I went in for deadlifts only to find to no available collars because (1) gym members have been stealing them, (2) this has caused the need for a "check-out" system whereby you give your keys as collateral for a pair of collars, (3) people are still stealing the collars despite this system, and (4) a woman was using the only available pair for her 30lb EZ-Bar skullcrushers.

Long story short, I eventually got a hold of some collars but the "feel" of the session had been lost, I did some pump work and hit my 5-rep requirements (up to 410x5) for 5/3/1 and left.

I do believe I will take tomorrow and Sunday off aside from cardio and calves training, so that I can be fresh for Monday's max-effort week and inaugurate this little quest I'm on to gain 5 lean-as-possible lbs in 12 weeks and to hit a 300/400/500 training max for the bench/squat/deadlift.

As if they won't just get some extra collars, that sucks people are taking them.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day Two-Pull Complex A
--Power Movements--
BB Deadlift: 355x5, 400x3, 450x1, 485xMissed, 475x1
Weighed Chins: +55x5, +70x5, +80x3, +80x3
--SST Movement--
BB Squat: 240x5, 280x5, 315x5
DB Row: 120x8, 120x8, 120x8
--Volume Work--
Leg Press: 450x12, 450x12, 500x12, 550x8
Lat Pulldown: 50 repetitions, alternating grips/weights
Cable Upright Row: 50 repetitions, alternating grips/weights

Another PR set today!

I got a bit greedy and tried to pull 485, but stalled out at the knees and had to drop it. No worries though, as my training max is set at 470 for this cycle and to surpass it after a miss is very encouraging for me.

Squats, chins, and rows afterwards were more or less a pain in the ass given my fatigue but everything was done.

Thus far I'm off to a great start with my pre-cycle strength goals, I plan on utilizing the cycle itself for body composition changes and to make some nice and sustainable strength gains. If I can manage to hit 300 on the bench (I am somewhat obsessed with this number) prior to that, a constructive run would certainly net me a 315 which could very well be sustained after PCT. Of course, the squat and deadlift need equivalent--if not greater--attention but I know what I need to do with these lifts and that it is within my grasp. Pressing movements have always been my weak point, and years of pseduo-training have set me back quite a bit from where I could be.

Other than that, I'm beginning to run low on my HV/AFX but I've purchased another tub of each to see this log through: if I can set further PRs and Athletix can accompany me, I think its a win-win for everyone.

Consumption:
Meal B-1 scoop isolate, 200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 100g cottage cheese, assorted veggies
Meal C-1 scoop isolate, 100g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal D-200g cottage cheese, 4 tbsp peanut butter
Meal E-150g turkey breast, assorted veggies

3138kcal, 82g fat, 245g carb, 355g protein

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats on the Deadlift PR!

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day Three-Press Complex B
--Power Movement--
BB Flat: 210x5, 240x3, 275x1, 285xMissed, 285x1
Extra Work: 250x3, 225x5, 185x5
--SST Movement--
BB OHP: 120x5, 140x5, 160x3/2
BB CGBP: 185x5, 210x5, 225x3
--Volume Accessories--
DB Flat: 75x10, 80x10, 80x8
DB Lateral Raise: 30x10, 30x10, 30x10
Cable Upright Row: 100 repetitions at 100-110lbs

Decided to hit the flat press today instead of my scheduled OHP; my primary concern is developing my bench so I opted to go through a 5/3/1 scheme again and instead apply 5lbs to my OHP training max, and work within the SST ranges at those higher percentages. The way I see it, the best way to get a bigger bench is to bench more, so I may retain this scheme for the next several weeks (along with concurrent SST work done with the OHP, which is admittedly a hassle).

The next challenge this week will be tomorrow's squatting endeavor, hopefully I can surpass the 370 mark. My legs and arms were blasted this morning from yesterday's farmer's carries (my new cardio "routine").

I hit a solid breakfast outing with my father and brother after training, I kept it clean but enjoyed myself a bit with a sizable buckwheat pancake for carbs. Because I cannot gauge the calorie count of the meal (a greek salad, chicken breast, and the pancake), I will refrain from attempting a calorie count for today. My other meals have been par the course as usual.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Three: Day Four-Squat Complex
--Power Movement--
BB Squat: 280x5, 315x3, 350x1, 370x1, 380x1 390xMissed
--SST Movement--
BB Deadlift: 315x5, 360x5, 410x5
--Volume Accessories--
HS Leg Press: 360x12, 450x12, 540x10, 590x8
Leg Extension: 100 repetitions, undulating weights and bi/uni-lateral movement
Hamstring Curl: 100 repetitions, undulating weights and bi/uni-lateral movement

Another PR set, and although I missed the 390 I did manage to get out of the hole so I know it isn't too distant from my grasp.
I'm really pleased with how this week has gone, and I'm closer than I had imagined to the numbers I'm trying to obtain. I will keep my nose to the grindstone through these next 3-4 weeks in the hopes of hitting further PR's before this log wraps up!

Consumption:
Meal B-1 scoop isolate, 200g chicken breast, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are some sick numbers... the 100's reps must be killer

SPLocal

Awards
Those are some sick numbers... the 100's reps must be killer
I try to take as little rest as possible, but at times the pump (especially for quads and triceps) is such that I cant physically move with full ROM, so I have to wait a minute or two. I credit that to the High Volume, most definitely.

My numbers are decent (excluding the squat) for my bodyweight but if I'd like to compete in the 181s, well I've got a long way to go to put respectable totals up in that category! But as long as I keep at it, I can stay positive.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great updates, looks like your on a roll with PR's!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Decimating these lifts. Like Wasme said, 100 total reps on the iso leg work is brutal anytime, let alone w/ a pump product. Bet you're feeling good with that 380 squat under your belt, all the way to parallel :)

Kinda been going thru the same thing, re-setting maxes thru parallel (although my current max at 445 was all the way thru, no doubt).

If you're getting stuck after coming out of the hole, consider good mornings, hip thrusts/glute bridges, or high box squats where you sit back to break your kinetic chain, then lean forward & explode up. GM's if lower back strength to stay chest up is the issue, the bridges if hip strength to extend knees is lacking, & the high-box if you just kinda need to get stronger all around for that area. I'd only bother with this accessory supplementation though if you feel you're really out of balance between out-of-hole strength & midway drive-thru strength. Otherwise, just keep squating :)

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Day One-Press Complex A
--Power Movement--
BB Flat Press: 210x3, 235x3, 260x3, 275x1, 280x1, 280x1
--SST Movements--
BB OHP: 115x8, 135x8, 155x3/3/3
BB CGBP: 165x8, 195x8, 225x5/3
--Volume Accessories--
DB Flat: 75x10, 85x10, 75x10, 70x10
Dips: BWx10, BWx10, BWx10
Cable Flye: 50 repetitions, undulating weight
Cable Pressdown: 50 repetitions, undulating weight

I don't have much to say about this session other than hell yeah. 280 feels easier and easier with each attempt.
I'm considering swapping out the BB OHP on Press Complex B and replacing it with the CGBP as a primary (retaining OHP as an SST movement, followed by flat pressing). Of course, three consecutive barbell movements takes a lot out of me by the time my accessories come around, but since progress is being made I will retain it.

Consumption:
Meal A: 80g oats, 1 scoop isolate, 3 whole eggs
Meal B: 1 scoop isolate, 4 whole eggs, 4 pcs ezekiel bread, 150g greek yogurt
Meal C: 4 whole eggs, 150g greek yogurt, 2 pcs ezekiel bread, assorted veggies
Meal D: 1 quest bar, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 2 pcs ezekiel bread
Meal E: 200g chicken breast, 100g steak, 100g cottage cheese

3145 cal, 105g fat, 250g carb, 300g prot

Decimating these lifts. Like Wasme said, 100 total reps on the iso leg work is brutal anytime, let alone w/ a pump product. Bet you're feeling good with that 380 squat under your belt, all the way to parallel :)

Kinda been going thru the same thing, re-setting maxes thru parallel (although my current max at 445 was all the way thru, no doubt).

If you're getting stuck after coming out of the hole, consider good mornings, hip thrusts/glute bridges, or high box squats where you sit back to break your kinetic chain, then lean forward & explode up. GM's if lower back strength to stay chest up is the issue, the bridges if hip strength to extend knees is lacking, & the high-box if you just kinda need to get stronger all around for that area. I'd only bother with this accessory supplementation though if you feel you're really out of balance between out-of-hole strength & midway drive-thru strength. Otherwise, just keep squating :)
I'd say my squat as a whole needs work, but certainly keeping the chest up and creating a powerful knee extension are key; unfortunately I train at a commercial gym (in fact, I found out today that the manager is looking for me because chalk is evidently a "safety hazard"....the ****?), so I need to incorporate assistance lifts that require the least amount of "specialized" equipment (boxes, bands, unique barbells, etc). I suppose you can say I take heavily from Lilly's opinion on the matter. Good mornings and rack pulls are on my list, however, big changes to my routine will be occuring in the upcoming weeks as I get more and more used to a "power" orientation with training. Lord knows I still want some more size, though the two are not mutually exclusive.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another sick update!

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Day Two-Pull Complex A
Weighted Chin-Ups: +45x5, +70x5, +80x3
DB Row: 100x10, 100x10, 100x10, 100x10
Cable Straight-Arm Pulldown: 100x10, 120x10, 130x10
Cable Curl, Unilateral: 30x15, 40x15, 50x15
DB Hammer Curl: 30x10, 30x10, 35x10, 40x6
Lat Pulldown, Close-Grip: 100 repetitions, undulating weights and alternating close/wide grips

Quick session today; I was supposed to squat but things felt "off" during warmups and I could tell my body was not in the mood for it. Instead I opted to throw in a back session, as we all can use some more back training anyways.

I've made the decision, however, to end this log once this week concludes; I train a minimum of 5 days-per-week, but at times have gone as often as 6 days-per-week over the course of this log (including cardio, extra and unrecorded back sessions, all of which include HV/AFX dosing). As such, I've burned through my HV/AFX tub rather quickly. Although I have a second tub of each on hand (yes, it's that enjoyable), I don't think there is a need to turn this log into an 8-12 week ordeal. Although, considering this in a more roundabout way, it is to the credit of these products that I've been able to train with intensity so frequently over the past four weeks or so: setting multiple PR's in the process and exceeding my given numbers for 5/3/1.

My plan is to log until the month's end, and insert my concluding thoughts into an earlier post (the one with the HV/AFX tub image).

I've also got some more recent physique images, should anyone be interested in viewing them.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You put in awesome workouts, thanks for the kind words thus far concerning HV/AFX.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really excited for your final review; looks like you've thoroughly been enjoying the product. Those are incredibly heavy pullups man, btw.

SPLocal

Awards
Really excited for your final review; looks like you've thoroughly been enjoying the product. Those are incredibly heavy pullups man, btw.
Thank you sir; I'm really trying to get to +100lbs for three repetitions, unfortunately its been rough on my tendons (hence the lack of overall sets), but I do treat it as a strength exercise and it really warms everything up prior to training the back directly.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed some very heavy pull ups!

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Day Three-Squat Complex
--Power Movement--
BB Squat: 265x3, 305x3, 355x1, 365x1, 370x1
Extra Work: 230x5, 230x5, 250x5, 250x5, 250x5
--SST Movement--
BB Deadlift: 315x5, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1, 445x1, 450x1, 450x1
BB Deficit Deadlift: 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5
--Volume Accessories--
Leg Press (with 1 second static hold): 280x15, 360x12, 450x10
Leg Extension: 10x10 undulating weights, bi and unilateral
Weighted Hyperextensions: +45x10, +45x10, +45x10

Good session today, I more or less did what I wanted and didn't quite follow Wendler to the letter. I brought in the deficit deadlifts to experiment and I will be retaining them in my regiment.

With regards to my squat, I've noticed (as have others) that I have difficulty "diving" into the hole, I tend to have a very slow negative which takes a lot of energy out of me. It isn't as much of an issue with my lighter loads, but once I go above 80% it becomes a recurrent theme.

I was advised to attempt 5x5, progressively overloaded (+5lbs per week) sets after the heavy lifting to get a better feel for falling into my groove.
Any thoughts?

Also, have any of you readers noticed the PHF store/forum being offline? I'm receiving 404 messages every time I attempt to access it. I just want to be sure it isn't an issue on my end.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5x5s is never a bad routine when in doubt. Works less for non-noobs, but so does everything lol. Could run it for a month to mix it up & if progress is being made continue for another month or til you stall out for 2 weeks in a row. Sometimes you have an off week in 5x5s. That's pretty f'ing heavy for 25 total reps.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup phf wasn't working for me either the other day, seems to be working now.

SPLocal

Awards
Week Four: Day Four-Pull Complex
DB Row: 80x10, 80x10, 80x10, 95x10, 100x10, 100x10, 110x10
Weighted Chins: +45x5, +70x5, +75x5
--
Snatch-Grip Rack Pulls: 225x10, 315x10, 365x10, 415x5
Seated Cable Row: 80x15, 120x10, 150x10
DB Hammer Curl: 20x12, 30x10, 35x8, 35x8, 40x5
Cable Upright Row: 50 repetitions, ascending weights

And so ends my last session with AFX/HV; things have been somewhat busy this week and diet has been heavily skewed. I opted for an all-out volume fest since my back happens to be my favorite group to train.
I've certainly put on some bodyfat in the course of this entire month but I believe the log speaks for itself regarding the multiple PRs and the ability of HV/AFX to fuel my power-building workouts and their frequency. I will be posting a full and cohesive review later today, so stay tuned!

SPLocal

Awards
FINAL REVIEW: ACUTE-FX AND HIGH VOLUME

To preface this assessment, I will note that I dosed both products per bottle recommendation.

Designed for a complimentary stack, AFX and HV handily produce the pump and energy most trainees seek in a preworkout; what sets them apart in the heavily saturated PWO market niche are their versatility, both in dosing and application. By separating HV and AFX into two products, Athletix has provided consumers with another option in stim-free pump products (largely monopolized by Hemavol until this point) and in a milder, stackable (per single dose) stimulant blend.

With the increased popularity of GMS, Agmatine, and the application of the former to ArA cycles, HV lends itself to a variety of uses. The disclosed doses of agmatine and l-citrulline are welcome backbone to the central prop blend, which in and of itself includes no ingredients we still see shuttled about in lesser quality products (aka arginine or ATP).

To the review itself, I'd rather not use a number system but would instead like to lay out what exactly HV/AFX assisted me with during this month of training:

During my run, I was able to set PRs in the bench (285), squat (380), and deadlift (475) while training on a 5 to 6 day frequency.

I was also able to hit the +80lbs x 3 mark with my weighted pull-ups.

Of course, I'm not trying to claim that HV/AFX "caused" these achievements. However, to make sustained progress within the boundaries of Wendler's 5/3/1 for Powerlifting template--a system involving the repeated use of heavy singles in the 90-95% range on the "Big 3" throughout the week--is a testament to HV/AFX's ability to facilitate my energy levels, dissipate mental/physical fatigue, and assist in bringing my CNS in line for heavily demanding training sessions.

I believe that gauging a product's success comes down to the following questions: Would I buy it again? Would I recommend it to a friend?

For both Acute-FX and High Volume, the answer is affirmative; I do in fact plan on using High Volume as my PWO-of-choice during my upcoming PH run.

Once again, I want to thank JudgmentDay, wasme, and Athletix for providing me with this logging opportunity, as well as all who have been following/commenting on this run. Athletix is certainly back, and in a big way, do not pass up on any opportunities to try their products, particularly with the current Labor Day sales going on!

Finally, here are some recent images to top off the log. Back and biceps are pumped in the upper body shot, the quads are cold.