IsoTean Rebuilds Kenpo

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to Vaughn for selecting me to log iForce Nutrition's new isolate based protein called IsoTean. Flavors include vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. I selected their Mighty Milk Chocolate flavor because I'm a chocolate lover (aren't we all?!)

The profile is intriguing in that it contains 30 g protein, 0.5 g fat and 3 g carbs in a 34 g serving. I usually use isolate proteins and this product's profile is already an improvement.
View attachment 85291

View attachment 85295
This is an interesting product to log because the only effect that can be logged is muscle recovery. For this log I'll only be taking my PWO and IsoTean. I'm dropping my favorite intra, iForce Compete, so as not to interfere with the log effects.

I perform workouts on a daily basis in my garage gym. They are generally 1 to 1.5 hours long and utilize combinations of machines and free-weights:
View attachment 85297

Thanks for joining in. Let's get to it.

Morning Workout

Machine Squats
145x5
165x5
185x5
205x5
215x5
225x3
165x5x3

Leg Extensions
135x10
145x8x2

Mixed 1 scoop into 10 oz of water in my Nalgene,, 30 secs of shaking and it's totally dissolved. Taste is sweet chocolate with no overpowering flavor or after-taste. So far so good.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, a big thank you to iForce for allowing the opportunity to log their new isolate based protein called IsoTean. After one tub of use here are my thoughts:

Flavor: 8/10 I logged their chocolate flavor. It tastes like Swiss Miss without any overpowering sweetness. I used 8, 10 and 16 ounces of water and the taste remained good even though I exceeded their recommendation on water use.

Mixing: 10/10 No undissolved protein clinging to the sides of my Nalgene container. A few shakes is all it takes to dissolve.

Recovery: 8/10 I've used many isolate proteins before and this one holds up to all of them. Recovery is so hard to judge as it really depends on your workout intensity, muscle stress level and duration.

Side Effects: none. No GI issues, bloating or gas.

Overall I'd recommend this protein to my fellow lifters. The only issue I had was that the scoop was wide and shallow and would not fit into the neck of my Nalgene. Lol

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good stuff man, im in!

Mike

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
Do you normally use compete? If so you'd be better to keep that consistent throughout the log so not to introduce any more variables. Just a thought!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you normally use compete? If so you'd be better to keep that consistent throughout the log so not to introduce any more variables. Just a thought!
I do usually use Compete (It's been about 6 months of use). Love the stuff.

CB or Vaughn, is it OK that I continue with Compete?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hot as Fuji in the garage gym! It was 80 at 6:30! Thank goodness for the OK to run Compete as I really wanted the hydration and water tastes bad!

Chest

Machine Bench Press (Ironmaster)
165x10
185x10
205x8
225x5

DB Hammer Grip Press
80x10x3

Machine Wide Grip Press
145x15
165x10
175x8

Close Grip DB Press
50x10x2
50x8

Smoked in this heat! Post workout was 1 scoop IsoTean in 10 oz water. It kind of tastes like Swiss Miss. Will run this for a while before commenting on recovery.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
80.. meh.. rookie. This past monday, ac at gym broke, it was like 98 degrees out.. the dungeon in the back, aka leg training room.. was coming up as 113 on the thermostate and it felt worse than that!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
80.. meh.. rookie. This past monday, ac at gym broke, it was like 98 degrees out.. the dungeon in the back, aka leg training room.. was coming up as 113 on the thermostate and it felt worse than that!
You win CB! Lol. You are also c r a z y, working out in 113 degrees!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi Ed! Thanks for joining. Miss you in my logs brother. How's the baby girl?
She's doing fine. Sleeping patern is slowly changing for the better.

She's grown 5cm, and gained 1kg. I'm so jealous:)

Thanks for asking

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday: Rained hard last night and air was like breathing in water. Woke up hungry so I drank an IsoTean shake and worked out.

Bent Over 2 DB Row
105x5
105x7x2
60x20

One Arm DB Row
105x7x3
60x20

DB Shoulder Shrug
115x10x4

WOD
5x20

Drank a second shake post workout. Taste is still very good. Mixing is still a breeze.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm really liking mixing up an IsoTean shake and then working out. The taste remains good and love the low carbs and fat.

Boxers Workout

Crunches
40, 30, 30, 30

Speed Bag
6 rounds 2 min on and 1 min off

Heavy Bag

Hanging Leg Raise to Ceiling
3x10

Focusmaster

Second shake was with 1 Tbspn natural PB. Taste is perfect.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Morning shake with 16 oz water tasted good. You can tell it was a little watered down but still had that chocolatey sweetness I've come to enjoy.

Shoulders
Machine Standing Press
105x5
115x5
125x4
135x1

Lateral DB Raise
35x8x3

Sitting Bent Over DB Raise
35x8x3

Front DB Raise
50x8x3

Second shake post workout with 2 TB PB.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Following along! Do you like it with that much water in it? We recommend 6-10oz per scoop. If you want it a little thicker and more flavorful, you can use a little less water and see if you like it even more.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Following along! Do you like it with that much water in it? We recommend 6-10oz per scoop. If you want it a little thicker and more flavorful, you can use a little less water and see if you like it even more.
Hi EP. Glad to have you in my log. IsoTean continues to deliver good taste with the additional water. I've tried 6, 10 and 16 oz and the taste was good with each. Also, I've added 2 tbsp natural PB to the 10 oz shake and it tastes great.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weather is nice and cool. Felt great this morning with no DOMS or fatigue. Amazing what you feel like when diet is dialed in. Preworkout shake of IsoTean. Still using iForce Compete for my intra.

Deadlifts
235x10
255x5
285x5
305x5

DB Lift and Curls with hammer grip
75x8
70x8
65x8x2

Second shake with 4 Tbsp PB= Reese Cup Recovery.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hi EP. Glad to have you in my log. IsoTean continues to deliver good taste with the additional water. I've tried 6, 10 and 16 oz and the taste was good with each. Also, I've added 2 tbsp natural PB to the 10 oz shake and it tastes great.
second person i've seen adding pb2 to the isotean....cant wait to try it

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PB and IsoTean is goooooddddd! Another preworkout shake and off to work out. It's hard to gage recovery because all I've used for proteins for years is isolate based (Bluebonnet and Jay Rob). Suffice to say that IsoTean is just as good as these other brands. I think the differentiator here is going to be price.

Lower Chest/Biceps

Machine Decline Press
205x8x2
215x5

EZ Bar Curl
90x10
100x8x2

Machine Wide Grip Press
185x10
195x8x2

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1scoop IsoTean, sinus headache today, bad one, fuk it, go.....

Machine Squats
145x10
165x5
185x5
205x5
225x3
215x5
185x5

Another PB and Isotean shake, yum!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is your go to med with sinus headaches?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is your go to med with sinus headaches?
I hate to use medications unless I'm in dire straights. I just mixed a PWO and started squatting. Headache subsided within 30 mins.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IsoTean shake and go ....

Machine Bench Press
165x10
185x10
205x8
225x5

Hammer Grip DB Press
80x10x3

That is all.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday was a quick workout and off to a graduation party. 1 scoop IsoTean preworkout and 1 after. I'm happy with taste and recovery. I like the low carb and high protein content. No bloating or gas issues.

Bent Over DB Row
105x6x3
65x15

One Arm DB Row
105x8x3
65x20

WOD
20x5

At the party my nephew challenged me to climb a 20 foot rope tied to the tree in the backyard. I did it but my hands weren't happy! Lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My elbow joints are feeling it today. Rope climbing yesterday killed them. IsoTean for post workout drink today.

Machine Incline Press
145x8
165x8
185x4

Dips
BWx10x3

WOD
5x20

Shoulders and elbows killing me. Stopped and decided to do some more WOD.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My elbow joints are feeling it today. Rope climbing yesterday killed them. IsoTean for post workout drink today.

Machine Incline Press
145x8
165x8
185x4

Dips
BWx10x3

WOD
5x20

Shoulders and elbows killing me. Stopped and decided to do some more WOD.
You should climb the rope with your legs, not with your arms;)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should climb the rope with your legs, not with your arms;)
Oh, you know how teenage nephews can be. They bet me I couldn't do it with just arm strength! Lol. 53 is "old" in their eyes! I showed them! Then I went inside and iced my hands. Lol

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, you know how teenage nephews can be. They bet me I couldn't do it with just arm strength! Lol. 53 is "old" in their eyes! I showed them! Then I went inside and iced my hands. Lol
I know...my students are the same,12 to 18 year olds..asking if I can climb to the cealing with just my arms. Sure I can...(but it does hurt my joints;) )

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Truth!!! lol
I work as a physical educations teacher at a highschool.

Shame to see kids coming in and unable to climb in a rope. When I was young they taught us this at primary school PE, and we used to play outside and climb trees.

Kids nowadays play with their xboxes and playstations.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Decided to let my body heal a little due to sore joints in the elbows. Muscle recovers without issues so IsoTean is doing its' stuff. Joint Help is in my stomach. Go.....

Boxers Workout

Crunches
40, 30, 30, 30

Speed Bag

Heavy Bag

Hanging Leg Raise to Ceiling
3x10

Focusmaster

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work as a physical educations teacher at a highschool.

Shame to see kids coming in and unable to climb in a rope. When I was young they taught us this at primary school PE, and we used to play outside and climb trees.

Kids nowadays play with their xboxes and playstations.
Couldn't agree more. They even have there handheld ones.. kids cant even sit at a restaurant and color on there placemat, they have to be playing video games. As a kid, I never did that, I played tic tac toe with my dad while waiting for our food when out to eat lol

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A friend of mine, his boy has just turned 4....already knew how the playstation worked when he was 3, how his moms phone works etc etc...Sad times we live in.

Most Kids have no more imagination, can"t entertain themselves(except for the damn video games, Ipads and ****)

Couldn't agree more. They even have there handheld ones.. kids cant even sit at a restaurant and color on there placemat, they have to be playing video games. As a kid, I never did that, I played tic tac toe with my dad while waiting for our food when out to eat lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree, too much video gaming and not enough physical activity. I challenge everyone on AM to "Ask a Young Person to Do Something With Them".

When was the last time you asked a young person, family or neighbor, to lift with you? Fish? Hunt? Woodwork? Garden? Anything. Kids feel like they have no connection with older adults. They won't ask to do something with you, you have to ask them. Have fun, ask a kid to do something.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Agree, too much video gaming and not enough physical activity. I challenge everyone on AM to "Ask a Young Person to Do Something With Them".

When was the last time you asked a young person, family or neighbor, to lift with you? Fish? Hunt? Woodwork? Garden? Anything. Kids feel like they have no connection with older adults. They won't ask to do something with you, you have to ask them. Have fun, ask a kid to do something.
Ask them to make you food... good skill to have!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A friend of mine, his boy has just turned 4....already knew how the playstation worked when he was 3, how his moms phone works etc etc...Sad times we live in.

Most Kids have no more imagination, can"t entertain themselves(except for the damn video games, Ipads and ****)
Ipads just made everything even worse lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just one serving left in my IsoTean jug. All good things must come to an end. Took a scoop last night before bed as I was slightly deficient in protein yesterday. No issues with recovery or DOMS. No issues with the GI system. I'm adding IsoTean to my protein supplement list.

Weather is almost a little too cool here. Preworkout shake of IsoTean. Still using iForce Compete for my intra.

Deadlifts
235x10
255x5
285x5
305x5
310x4

DB Lift and Curls with hammer grip
75x8
70x8
65x8x2

WOD from knees
5x20

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Final review is up in post 2. Thanks iForce for allowing me to log IsoTean!

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
First, a big thank you to iForce for allowing the opportunity to log their new isolate based protein called IsoTean. After one tub of use here are my thoughts:

Flavor: 8/10 I logged their chocolate flavor. It tastes like Swiss Miss without any overpowering sweetness. I used 8, 10 and 16 ounces of water and the taste remained good even though I exceeded their recommendation on water use.

Mixing: 10/10 No undissolved protein clinging to the sides of my Nalgene container. A few shakes is all it takes to dissolve.

Recovery: 8/10 I've used many isolate proteins before and this one holds up to all of them. Recovery is so hard to judge as it really depends on your workout intensity, muscle stress level and duration.

Side Effects: none. No GI issues, bloating or gas.

Overall I'd recommend this protein to my fellow lifters. The only issue I had was that the scoop was wide and shallow and would not fit into the neck of my Nalgene. Lol
Awesome final review. Nalgene? You need to get an iForce shaker cup ;)