booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just got my vanilla dream ISOTEAN from the boys over at iForce nutrition. 27 scoops of whey isolate for me to try and review over the next few weeks. Special thanks to VaughnTrue for hooking me up with this opportunity. The plan for the next few weeks is as follows (with a final review to be posted at the bottom of this First post once I've finished up):

Current goals: cutting until august 3rd when i run in the nj warrior dash (going for the 3 peat against my college buddies, and hopefully improving on my 76th overall finish from last yr) after the cut (if I have some powder left) ill be taking a week off from hardcore dieting and lifting to recover.

Diet: bb style with 6-8 meals spaced every 3 hrs through the day. Ultra low carb (<30g/day) for 6 days with a carb up on the 7th.

Exercise: am cardio upon waking everyday, lifting every other day in the afternoon/evening (after work). Currently following kris gethin's dtp for the last few weeks for the endurance and hit style. On non lifting days I do a second cardio session in the afternoon.

Lift day Shake plan: I usually have a shake upon waking, before my am cardio (about 20min before). A second shake pre workout (about 30-45min before). And finally a post workout shake that I mix with casein 50/50 (roughly 30g protein total)
That'll add up to 2.5 scoops per day, for a total of 75g of protein.

Cardio only days ill have a pre cardio shake am and pm for 2 scoops and 60g of protein.

Looking forward to starting this tomorrow and seeing how things go. Ill comment on taste, mix, recovery, and anything else that stands out.

image-1466657024.jpg

image-1733090915.jpg

image-816171634.jpg

Final review:

Mix: 8/10 some clumps/sticking did occur from time to time even with higher water amounts. You can let it sit for a min and shake again and that's usually enough to do the trick but is a bit of a pain. Mixed great in crepes though! I tried out various amounts f water and found that I enjoyed the consistency of 10-12oz the best (think milk) but usually watered it down more just to enjoy it for longer.

Taste: 10/10 this was by far the most impressive part of isotean. I'm a vanilla fanatic and this was an instant favorite of mine. I tried a variety of water amounts and all of them were delicious (even up to 30oz was still incredibly flavorful). I also used this to flavor up some crepes one night and these were fantastic as well.

Recovery: 8/10 I did feel that this was a solid aid during my cut and into my carb depletion stage. Obviously I wouldn't expect this to completely prevent doms or anything but it was definitely a noticeable addition. I did feel that the longer I used this the better it got so that also impacted the rating.

Misc: zero bloat, burps, or gas from this, even with tons of water. This tells me that it was readily absorbed into my system as a good isolate should.

Overall: 9.5/10 the only reason I wouldn't give this a 10/10 is due to the minimal mixing issues and somewhat inconsistent recovery ability. The profile of isotean (carbs/fat/protein) makes it well worth a look for anyone looking for a well rounded isolate. The fact that each scoop has 27g of protein is a huge plus since thats 3-5g higher then most others. I would especially recommend this to those on a cut as the lack of carbs/fat and abundance of protein make it a solid addition without sacrificing unnecessary calories. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of the vanilla dream isotean and would very highly recommend this to anyone looking for an isolate protein to add to their stack. In short I would absolutely buy this myself in the future and plan to pick up a tub the next time I need protein.

thedarce

thedarce

Awards
  • Established
awesome cant wait to hear your thoughts on isotean

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
First scoop is in the books...

image-2734779815.jpg

Initial impression: opened the tub and was immediately surprised by the size of the scoop... A bit bigger then most but not massive. The smell of the vanilla dream was AMAZING. I may have licked the bottom of the seal ha.

Just from that little taste I was psyched. I usually mix my morning shakes with about 10oz of water so I'm not too bloated when I run but I decided to try this out with a bit less since it was suggested at 6-10oz. Ended up using about 6 and man was this good.
Taste:10/10- very sweet and wonderfully rich vanilla flavor. Right on par with any vanilla ice cream you've had. I've tried every vanilla protein out there an this ranks right up at the top with the best of them. I'm a big fan of very sweet shakes so this worked well for me. I could see it being a bit strong for those who don't like it too sweet but that could be solved by just adding more liquid... Ill try it out this afternoon.
Mix:8/10- a good 30sec shake and everything was pretty well mixed, even with just a little bit of water. The shake itself was extremely thick and rich with no big clumps and only a slight bit sticking to the shaker cup.
Other thoughts: I usually mix my shakes with far more liquid then suggested (20-30oz/scoop) just to up my water intake (and to stretch out the amount I get to enjoy ha) so that's what I'll do this afternoon with my pre run shake. So far this is an amazing tasting protein that I can't wait to try again.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it definitely holds it's own in ~10oz of water. I like to use less liquid as well because I like my shakes THICK as can be, but I'll take a 10/10 any day!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In 10-12 its fairly thin I'm guessing? Im the odd guy out, I like my shakes super thin and without too strong of flavor like isoflex (cant afford that stuff anymore though), so I will prob get a few tubs of Isotean on my next order.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just finished up shake #2 and I have to day this is gonna be a great few weeks.

Mix: 9/10- mixed this time 1scoop with my standard 25oz of water to really give it go. A quick 30sec shake and about 90% of everything was gone. A tad of sticking to the shaker as before, and a bit of settling when I set it down to defoam. Foam wasn't too bad which can be a pain with others when I use a lot of water. Since it doesn't allow me to shake.

Taste: 10/10- even at 4+ times the water this stuff is spectacular. Still sweet as can be, powerful flavor that didn't even seem to get watered down. I'm really gonna enjoy these shakes and might even try to stretch the water even higher to make it last!

Overall: 9.5/10- nothing to complain about except a little stuck on residue at the end and a little settling. Nothing that I haven't seen in any other protein, and on par or better then most isolates... Really I'm just bummed I didn't get to enjoy that last bit ha. Might need to get a spoon.

The weekend will be slightly different schedule wise since I go to bed and get up different as well as lift first thing Sunday morning. I plan to continue to use 20-30oz of water for most of my shakes since I enjoyed it so much. Tomorrow post workout ill get my first crack at the 50/50 isotean/casein mix and log that up. Prob Sunday or mon ill start commenting on recovery and such since ill have a few more shakes and some lift days into the books by then. Might even try some cooking with it this weekend.

thedarce

thedarce

Awards
  • Established
awesome reviews so far bro, HNNG vanilla ice cream, on this hot day it sounds perfect.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
awesome reviews so far bro, HNNG vanilla ice cream, on this hot day it sounds perfect.
Hell ya. I almost had another shake when I got back from my run. Sounded so good... Mmmmm cold vanilla is my thing for sure

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in bro!! Awesome reviews so far, ill be following from now on!

Mike

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So today I started my day with my pre cardio shake (1sc in 12oz water)- shake was nice and thick, not overly rich but about the consistency of whole milk. Flavor just get better with every sip.

Next up was pre workout (1sc in 30oz water)- I can't stress enough how well this stuff tastes even with a ton of water. Obviously this was very thin, think skim milk or thinner, however there is more then enough flavor to stretch it out. Plus I got to enjoy it for longer, over the course of a half hr meeting...

Finally tried this post workout today. Mix was 1/2sc each: ISOTEAN (vanilla dream) + American pro casein (cake batter) + 25oz water.
Mix: 10/10- with only half a scoop of the isotean as well as the casein (which practically dissolves) this shake was totally mixed and dissolved in just a quick 15-20secs in a shaker cup. Pretty much zero stuck to the sides or bottom this time which is better then when isotean only.
Taste:10/10- TRY THIS YOURSELF. Seriously. If you're into sweet and vanilla, this is all you.

Workout was biceps and triceps; very high rep supersets down to low reps then back up. Was really feeling good today so I added a few extra exercises at the end just because. Arms were pretty pumped but that faded fast with the low carbs I've been having. Plan is to comment on recovery tomorrow and then again a day after my next workout (legs/shoulders on Sunday). Tomorrow is cardio only so prob only gonna have a shake before my am session, maybe a second later in the day at some point depending how the day falls out.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In 10-12 its fairly thin I'm guessing? Im the odd guy out, I like my shakes super thin and without too strong of flavor like isoflex (cant afford that stuff anymore though), so I will prob get a few tubs of Isotean on my next order.
Sorry I missed this one yest.. 10-12 is still pretty thick by my standards. I'm like you and enjoy mine thin as can be so I've stretched it up to 30oz/scoop and still really enjoyed it. The flavor is strong enough to hold up at that mix ratio but def won't be overpowering.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I diet, I like my shakes thin.. I have zero appetite when I diet.. its either dexaprine or in my head haha. Offseason though, I load my shakes with everything.. like em thick!

Mike

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When I diet, I like my shakes thin.. I have zero appetite when I diet.. its either dexaprine or in my head haha. Offseason though, I load my shakes with everything.. like em thick!

Mike
When I diet I like them thin cuz it feels like I get more ha. I'm hungry 24/7 so drinking a ton of water helps me and when I can flavor it and spare the cals that's just a bonus.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Had 2 shakes today... 1 am pre cardio and 1 right before my hockey game this evening. First was the standard 10oz of water, second was about 25oz. As has been the case, both were fantastic tasting and mixed pretty well. I used a different shaker for the second shake and it had far less stuck to the sides/bottom so maybe that had been part of the issue with the others.

So today was my first day after a workout since adding isotean to my days... Yesterday's workout was arms which normally don't get too sore but sometimes triceps can be pretty nasty. With the additional, strict formed sets I added I duly expected to be pretty sore today but not really the case. I do have some soreness in my triceps but nothing to the point of "sore to the touch". Just more of an if I flex soreness. Seems the isotean is if nothing else not hurting my recovery. Tomorrow is legs and shoulders so that'll be the true judge of how well it may or may not help with recovery. Legs are always sore for at least 2 days after so we will see.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Subbed - great reviews so far, OP.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Quick update from yesterday and today...

Yesterday I got a late start (aka I was lazy and slept in ha) so I had my am shake (with 30oz of water since i didnt have time to dink more before the gym) and hit the gym for cardio legs and shoulders 1,2,3. One thing I haven't commented on yet is that I haven't had any burps or bloat with any mix (6-30oz). This is a sign of a good protein as some of the cheaper wheys will give you some serious gas, especially of chugged with a lot of water.

Post workout I had my 50/50 casein isotean mix and then nice meal with some solid carbs.

Today I was back to my normal weekday schedule with my 12oz am shake and 30oz pre cardio shake. I got stuck helping a friend move this evening so I didn't have time to cook so I had to have a third shake late this evening just to get some calories in.

Since I've now had 2 workout days in I can comment on recovery.

Recovery- 5/10: so far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as far as extra help. I had a brutal leg workout yesterday and as always I woke up really sore and became stiffer throughout the day. Unfortunately this is not an area that I've seen any marked improvement or even difference from other isolate compared to isotean. Ill keep tabs on this going into tomorrow though as I'm usually a 2nd day after doms kind of guy and day 2 is the worst.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So unfortunately I'm still having some serious doms from leg day Sunday... Recovery aspect is def not looking like one of the stronger points of isotean for me. Other then that I love the rest, taste mix etc are all still on point.

Had my normal pre cardio, pre workout, and 50/50 post workout shakes today. Back and chest today were feeling great so I added some extra exercises at the end and wouldn't you know it a PR on rack pulls. Maybe the soreness isn't gone but I'm def feeling rejuvenated everywhere else so ill keep and eye on the doms for chest since that usually gets pretty sore as well as seeing how my legs actually act when I get to run outside again (it's been raining every morning so I've been stuck on the treadmill/airdyne :( )

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
awesome review so far OP, glad you're enjoying the isotean!

after reading this, vanilla might have to be the first isotean flavor i try out :D

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
awesome review so far OP, glad you're enjoying the isotean!

after reading this, vanilla might have to be the first isotean flavor i try out :D
Thanks man. If you're a vanilla fanatic like I am then definitely. The flavor is amazing!

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. If you're a vanilla fanatic like I am then definitely. The flavor is amazing!
Haven't tried the vanilla myself yet but I can't wait. Good review!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Finally had a chance to really test out my legs today and it looks like I may have been a bit hasty on my judgement of the recovery aspect of the isotean. I was able to shave another minute off my 2.5mi run this morning and actually ended up adding some extra at the end to meet my time quota.

The funny thing is my hamstrings are still a bit sore but as anyone with experience knows, soreness is not the only aspect of recovery.

After my chest/back day yesterday I feel quite good and my back (which I made a pr on rack pulls AFTER my regular workout) was barely tight and def no pain.

Ill bump my rating for the recovery to 6/10 with the potential to go higher depending on how I feel tomorrow. Today was a standard 2x cardio day so shakes am and pre cardio. Looks like I'm about 1/2 way (14.5scoops in) through my tub so ill prob make it well into next week when ill be in my last week of my cut and really watching my diet and dialing everything in.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I diet I like them thin cuz it feels like I get more ha. I'm hungry 24/7 so drinking a ton of water helps me and when I can flavor it and spare the cals that's just a bonus.
If you get hungry when dieting, you need to give dexaprine xr a shot.. You will have low appetite!!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you get hungry when dieting, you need to give dexaprine xr a shot.. You will have low appetite!!!
I'll have to check it out because I'm pretty much ravenous all day everyday ha. It's a total mental game for me dieting because I love to eat and enjoy the healthy food but the low calories and small meals eats at my mind

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to check it out because I'm pretty much ravenous all day everyday ha. It's a total mental game for me dieting because I love to eat and enjoy the healthy food but the low calories and small meals eats at my mind
Dexaprine V1 and V2 use to crush my appetite so freakin bad, I couldn't even eat the small amount of cals I was allowed to eat lol. Dieting was so freakin hard, for the opposite reason. I couldnt even finish 2oz of chicken due to no appetite. Dexaprine XR is much better, it crushes appetite, but not that much. I have enough of an appetite to finish the meals I need to eat, but no extra appetite lingering around the rest of the day.

Mike

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dexaprine V1 and V2 use to crush my appetite so freakin bad, I couldn't even eat the small amount of cals I was allowed to eat lol. Dieting was so freakin hard, for the opposite reason. I couldnt even finish 2oz of chicken due to no appetite. Dexaprine XR is much better, it crushes appetite, but not that much. I have enough of an appetite to finish the meals I need to eat, but no extra appetite lingering around the rest of the day.

Mike
Man that sounds like a winner to me. I've always had a monster appetite and thus an awful time dieting (epic will power and an extremely competitive nature is all I've got to thank for the changes I've been able to make). Are v1/2 still around at all or totally replaced?

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Man that sounds like a winner to me. I've always had a monster appetite and thus an awful time dieting (epic will power and an extremely competitive nature is all I've got to thank for the changes I've been able to make). Are v1/2 still around at all or totally replaced?
You might be able to find it around somewhere.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Am shake (10oz), pre workout (30oz), 50/50 pwo casein/isotean today.

After over half the tub I can honestly say this is one of the best tasting vanilla proteins I've ever had. The colder the water I use the better too. It's like an ice cream shake.

Recovery seems to be getting better as my chest and back aren't sore at all and I really felt good doing arms today. This is going to be a perfect addition to my ultra low carb deplete that will start on Sunday and help me get through the last few days before my race.

On a side note I plan to save at least 1 scoop for after next weekend to make a true smoothie with some fruit or pb and such once I'm done with my cut. Can. Not. Wait!

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Am shake (10oz), pre workout (30oz), 50/50 pwo casein/isotean today.

After over half the tub I can honestly say this is one of the best tasting vanilla proteins I've ever had. The colder the water I use the better too. It's like an ice cream shake.

Recovery seems to be getting better as my chest and back aren't sore at all and I really felt good doing arms today. This is going to be a perfect addition to my ultra low carb deplete that will start on Sunday and help me get through the last few days before my race.

On a side note I plan to save at least 1 scoop for after next weekend to make a true smoothie with some fruit or pb and such once I'm done with my cut. Can. Not. Wait!
Will deff wants to see pics of dat der forbidden smoothie

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Will deff wants to see pics of dat der forbidden smoothie
For sure. Food porn is a must in any good log ha

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Odd eating schedule today with the half day of work... Had my am pre cardio shake (10oz) then worked, went for a bike ride downtown and then home for a quick nap. Had my second shake before my hockey game at 9 tonight.

This second shake was a total life (and muscle) saver as I napped right up until the last minute but needed to get some food in me before my game since I was already behind on my cals for the day due to the long bike trip.

30oz shake 20 min before my game and I felt like a machine. No bloat, no burps, just a nice fullness and enough energy to get me through a right game (which we won 2-1- playoff quarters).

Tomorrow will be the last day of my veggies for carbs followed by a sun-wed carb free deplete, then a thurs-fri carb load. Def gonna rely on the shakes pre and post workout during my deplete to give me a little boost, hopefully help me recover, and just give me a break from the massive meat party I'm about to have ha.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of hockey do you play? Mens league?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What kind of hockey do you play? Mens league?
Yep mix in ice and deck. Deck I play about 75/25 in favor of goalie (I'm stupid flexible) and ice I usually play center.

Yesterday I had my am shake before the gym (did my cardio before lifting sonce it was am training) as well as my 50/50 post workout. Then went to my buddies sons 1st bday party for the afternoon. Felt like shît at the party, just exhausted. Went home after and took a quick nap and felt much better. Not sure if its the cut finally catching up to me or just an off day but it was all solved by a quick nap, a back run and some good sex ha.

Felt good when I woke up this morn so I had a pre deck hockey shake then straight to the gym after. Just had my post workout shake and am cooking up unlimited meat for the next few days.

Diet for sun-wed will be strictly meat as I'm depleting my carbs so the only carbs ill get will be from shakes (3g am, 3pwo, 3post- 9g total). Tomorrow will be my last heavy training session (arms) followed by tues/wed/thurs full body, high rep, depletion sets. Plan is to go hard tues (2sets/body part), ease off wed (2sets/part), and just a quick workout thurs (1set/part) to spike my hormones and increase absorption of the carbs ill start loading post workout thurs. thurs/fri ill be loading up on sweet potatoes with every meal (prob every 2-3hrs depending how I'm looking/feeling). Ill be heading across the state fri afternoon/eve and then the race is sat at 12 so my last couple meals will be pretty much whatever looks right.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to know man! I grew up playing travel youth ice hockey from like 5 to 18, but no longer play :(

Mike

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Going on my second day of basically zero carbs and I can tell I'm gonna be dragging ass by my carb up on thurs...

Yesterday was day 1, had my am shake pre run, pwo shake, and post wo shake. I have to say those are already 3 of the 4 things I look forward to most these next few days (the other being my lifting time ha). I was surprised at how well I still felt at the gym yesterday considering I was already <50g carbs daily since last wed as well as 0 all day. Strength was a bit low but endurance seemed pretty solid still.

Same deal when I ran this morning (last full run, wed/thurs will be LISS, fast walking just to get moving) as I felt quite good and didn't have too much of an endurance issue. I can tell I'm pretty depleted but not dead. This will prob change by gym time tomorrow but that's good as ill know I'm totally depleting my glycogen as planned.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
<50g carbs. Someone would seriously have to bail me out of jail.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Threw together some isotean crepes for a little "dessert" ha. Just as good as everything else I've made!

image-725026024.jpg

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well after todays am shake and pre workout I'm down to my last scoop or so here... Gonna save this one for a special smoothie treat sometime next week after my race. I have some plans for it that involve some berries, almond milk, Greek yogurt, and maybe some other tbd ingredients (may even get a little wild and throw in some pb or Oreo crumbles... Maybe all of it?!).

Gotta say I really enjoyed this stuff the last few weeks as it was exactly what I needed to get me through this wicked carb depleting stretch. Having a nice "treat" to enjoy a few times a day without guilt really helps take the edge off of a brutal cut. Tomorrow will be the last deplete day (and only the first 2/3 of the day, post workout ill begin loading) so I'm in the clear.

The last few days I've been incredibly impressed by the lack of soreness and general fatigue I've had and since this isotean is the only thing other then chicken and beef I've been eating I have to attribute at least a portion of the recovery and general sanity to it. My workouts sat/sun/mon were still full on and I was barely even sore from them (even Mondays arms were good to go for a light full body depletion workout tues/wed). My initial rating was a 5/10 which I bumped to 6 after testing my legs out for actual recovery not just doms. I have to give another bump here since this was able to get me through a sat/sun/mon of regular lifting (sat/sun <50g carbs) as well as regular am cardio and tues/wed full body depletion workouts (mon-wed <5g carbs!). Final recovery rating for me is 8/10. Not perfect and certainly not something that I would count on to keep me going long term as a replacement for good ol carbs and food, but certainly worth it's weight as a supplementary recovery aid.

Ill post up my final review tomorrow morning back up top and probably try to get a pic of whatever I make next week in here for a final "food (porn) for thought"!

Once again, thank you to all who joined the ride and the guys at iForce for allowing me to log this. If there are any questions, things you wanna see in the final review, or final thoughts ill keep checking back for a few days and get back to you guys!

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Can't wait to see the final review and/or final pics!