OxyElite Protein - Both Flavors Reviewed

1. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.45%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Post OxyElite Protein - Both Flavors Reviewed

So after finally getting to try both flavors in a variety of ways (shake, cereal, oats, ice cream), I think I finally have a good enough handle on the protein to give it a full review.

OxyElite Protein

Who would have thought the "profile" would be a relevant criterion in the protein powder category. Well, with the recent padding of numbers due to rising costs of whey, this may actually be the most important category these days. And to be honest, the first protein source to show up on the ingredient list is pretty much the best in existence: milk protein isolate. I wish more companies would make MPI-based proteins, but alas, it ultimately drives up the cost of the product. In addition to the MPI, there is also WPC and Micellar Casein, both of which are fine protein sources. USP labs claims to use WPC 80, and the macros of the protein powder seem to support this. I'm impartial to the fiber and lipid complex, but one addition that I really like is lactase. It's clever, and you don't see it very often. Whether there's enough to ameliorate GI issues in lactose-intolerant individuals is yet to be determined.

Lastly, no added amino acids.

I really can't imagine a better profile as far as a strict protein powder is concerned. I guess some people may not want the lipid complex, but it's fine in my eyes.

9.75/10

Texture and Mixability

For those who care, the texture is predictably thick as evidenced by MPI being first on the ingredient list, but it's not that thick. For comparison, it's a little thinner than trutein and the powder is very fine. As a result of the small particles, it mixes very well for an MPI-based product. I had a previous experience with a pure MPI product, and the mixability was so bad that the product was essentially unusable. So props to USP for "micronizing" the powder to this end.

9.5/10

Taste:

Vanilla

The vanilla was awesome for a vanilla flavor. I've had some great vanillas in the past, with my top ones being XF UP French Vanilla, Trutein Vanilla, ProNom Vanilla, and Phase 8 vanilla. This one is right up there with all of those, and if I had to rank it, it would be my second favorite behind XF UP French Vanilla. Now, as far as taste comparisons go, it's a creamier and thicker version of the Phase 8 vanilla with a slight hint of french vanillaness. It actually reminded me a lot of an ice cream, which after further thought turned out to be:

It's really, really good. I'm not gonna lie, I'm skeptical of every vanilla flavor and I was definitely skeptical of this one, but it delivered. Since I'm not a terribly huge vanilla guy to begin with, this gets a

9/10

Chocolate

Unlike my initial doubt towards the vanilla flavor, I'd been assured from multiple protein connoisseurs that the chocolate flavor was OnPoint. And they couldn't have been more right. My favorite chocolate flavors of all time are XF UP Triple Chocolate, ProNom Chocolate, iForce Chocolate Truffle, and the untouchable Vasolate Chocolate. This chocolate is only a hair below vasolate and significantly better than the other 3, even XF which always delivers. For comparison, it actually reminds me of a hybrid of XF Triple Chocolate + Vasolate Chocolate...it tastes a lot like sweet chocolate milk, but it retains this richer, triple-chocolate-esque flavor that sets it apart. This flavor is a definite keeper and one I will be buying for months to come.

9.75/10

Overall: Both flavors are definitely top-tier as far as taste + protein sources are concerned. Depending on your price range, I highly recommend giving them a shot. I've been pretty tough on USP Labs in the past, but recent releases such as this protein, Test Powder, and their 95% forskolin have really garnered my interest. I'm hoping they continue this trend, and moreover, I hope they release some new flavors under this protein line

9.5/10
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

The Coop seal of approval just sealed the deal for me. My wallet better be ready when this drops at Nutra
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Great reviews as usual, coop. I'm picking up a tub of the vanilla soon.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.33%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    The Coop seal of approval
    I assume this is going to be stamped on all OEProtein tubs hence forth...

Great review Coop, told ya that vanilla was awesome...
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.49%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Wish they would stock these protein powders in Australia!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Agreed coop! Chocolate is superb!

USPlabs killed it.............. Once again!
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Thanks for the review Coop!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.87%

Great review. Im officially excited for my tub to show up.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Agree totally about the MPI. I still can't figure out how they got it to not turn into pudding even when mixed in milk.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.53%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Great review bro. I like the way you broke it all down.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.67%

Thanks Coop!
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.45%

No problem guys, it was a pleasure to try out. Both are great, but given that I'm partial to chocolate, that's the one I'll be buying in the future
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Awesome job with the review Coop. Much appreciated!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  14. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.61%

Great review and thanks bud
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.84%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Well written review. I too loved the chocolate. Looking forward to picking up some more as soon as the price comes down a little
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.2%

Great review Coop. Thanks for taking the time!
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.28%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

So after finally getting to try both flavors in a variety of ways (shake, cereal, oats, ice cream), I think I finally have a good enough handle on the protein to give it a full review.

OxyElite Protein

Who would have thought the "profile" would be a relevant criterion in the protein powder category. Well, with the recent padding of numbers due to rising costs of whey, this may actually be the most important category these days. And to be honest, the first protein source to show up on the ingredient list is pretty much the best in existence: milk protein isolate. I wish more companies would make MPI-based proteins, but alas, it ultimately drives up the cost of the product. In addition to the MPI, there is also WPC and Micellar Casein, both of which are fine protein sources. USP labs claims to use WPC 80, and the macros of the protein powder seem to support this. I'm impartial to the fiber and lipid complex, but one addition that I really like is lactase. It's clever, and you don't see it very often. Whether there's enough to ameliorate GI issues in lactose-intolerant individuals is yet to be determined.

Lastly, no added amino acids.

I really can't imagine a better profile as far as a strict protein powder is concerned. I guess some people may not want the lipid complex, but it's fine in my eyes.

9.75/10

Texture and Mixability

For those who care, the texture is predictably thick as evidenced by MPI being first on the ingredient list, but it's not that thick. For comparison, it's a little thinner than trutein and the powder is very fine. As a result of the small particles, it mixes very well for an MPI-based product. I had a previous experience with a pure MPI product, and the mixability was so bad that the product was essentially unusable. So props to USP for "micronizing" the powder to this end.

9.5/10

Taste:

Vanilla

The vanilla was awesome for a vanilla flavor. I've had some great vanillas in the past, with my top ones being XF UP French Vanilla, Trutein Vanilla, ProNom Vanilla, and Phase 8 vanilla. This one is right up there with all of those, and if I had to rank it, it would be my second favorite behind XF UP French Vanilla. Now, as far as taste comparisons go, it's a creamier and thicker version of the Phase 8 vanilla with a slight hint of french vanillaness. It actually reminded me a lot of an ice cream, which after further thought turned out to be:

It's really, really good. I'm not gonna lie, I'm skeptical of every vanilla flavor and I was definitely skeptical of this one, but it delivered. Since I'm not a terribly huge vanilla guy to begin with, this gets a

9/10

Chocolate

Unlike my initial doubt towards the vanilla flavor, I'd been assured from multiple protein connoisseurs that the chocolate flavor was OnPoint. And they couldn't have been more right. My favorite chocolate flavors of all time are XF UP Triple Chocolate, ProNom Chocolate, iForce Chocolate Truffle, and the untouchable Vasolate Chocolate. This chocolate is only a hair below vasolate and significantly better than the other 3, even XF which always delivers. For comparison, it actually reminds me of a hybrid of XF Triple Chocolate + Vasolate Chocolate...it tastes a lot like sweet chocolate milk, but it retains this richer, triple-chocolate-esque flavor that sets it apart. This flavor is a definite keeper and one I will be buying for months to come.

9.75/10

Overall: Both flavors are definitely top-tier as far as taste + protein sources are concerned. Depending on your price range, I highly recommend giving them a shot. I've been pretty tough on USP Labs in the past, but recent releases such as this protein, Test Powder, and their 95% forskolin have really garnered my interest. I'm hoping they continue this trend, and moreover, I hope they release some new flavors under this protein line

9.5/10
    We simply cannot thank you enough for the time you spent on this review. Your opinion is highly valued, and we appreciate your support!

We're proud of this formula, and really enjoy reading these honest reviews!
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.99%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Nice review, Cy. Love the detail.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  19. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.27%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Agree totally about the MPI. I still can't figure out how they got it to not turn into pudding even when mixed in milk.
    because of the great ratio of Casien and Whey, exactly what the body wants to spark protein synthesis and become anti catabolic.
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.02%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Awesome review Coop. Thank you!
    Independent

Similar Forum Threads

1. Review: NutraPro Whey Protein 7 Flavors
    By steam in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 02:14 AM
  2. Protein Customizer flavors
    By Sanosuke in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 03:27 AM
  3. Proteins! Actually, my review on a brand..
    By bigpetefox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 12:52 PM