1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Controlled Labs PROnom 23 Review - Chocolate and Vanilla

I would like to start by thanking the Mysterious Ninja that got me samples of both of these new flavors. Out of the blue, multiple scoops of each appeared out of nowhere! The macros are listed on the labels above and look pretty good. Let's get to the good stuff:

Vanilla Cupcake Batter:

Since I had multiple samples, it gave me the chance to try these in both water and skim milk. This is great because these are my most common uses and not all proteins taste good mixed in water. I mixed one scoop in 8oz. of water and mixed it with a few shakes in a blender bottle. This mixed very quickly and completely. So far so good. I tasted it not knowing what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised at how great it was. This protein tastes exactly like cake batter, even mixed in water! I even had my picky girlfriend try it and she was amazed.

I mixed the other scoop in 8oz. of skim milk and repeated the process. Once again it mixed almost instantly (you can tell it's going to mix well when you see how fine the powder is). In milk, it still tastes like cake batter, but the taste is more muted. It's good, but you lose some of the pure cake batter flavor. I would equate it more to eating cake with creamy frosting on it. Still good for sure.

Overall, I would give the Vanilla Cupcake Batter flavor of CL's PROnom 23 a 9/10 rating. This is easily the second best tasting vanilla protein I have had, and that's not even a completely fair comparison since this is Cupcake Batter flavored. The fact that it tastes so good in water is the selling point for me. I would recommend this to anybody that's a fan of cake or cupcakes and I will definitely be picking some of this up down the road.

Chocolate Cupcake Batter:

Once again, I had multiple scoops and decided to try this in water and milk. I mixed the first scoop in 8oz. of water and it mixed perfectly just like the Vanilla did. I was a bit surprised when I took my first drink of the Chocolate. I was expecting a really strong chocolate taste and that wasn't the case at all. The flavor was much more subtle, very similar to Nestle hot chocolate. I once again had the girlfriend try it to see what she though and she immediately brought up the hot chocolate flavor as well. I liked it, but not as much as the Vanilla Cupcake Batter. I would give this one an 8.5/10 overall rating.

All that was left was to try a scoop of the Chocolate Cupcake Batter in 8oz. of skim milk. Mixed great and had a nice, thick texture in the shaker. I was in love with this one from the first sip! This time instead of tasting like hot chocolate, it tasted like Nestle Quick to me. I love Quick because it has a more subtle chocolate flavor. I am not a fan of strong chocolate or chocolate that has hints of mocha or dark chocolate. The CL Chocolate was light and not too sweet and it really hit the spot. It was also kind of like a Wendy's Frosty if that helps. That light chocolate flavor in all the creamy goodness. Chocolate PROnom23 in milk was my favorite chocolate protein to date. I would give it a solid 10/10 , but I realize that not everybody appreciates the subtle chocolate flavors as much as I do. Either way, I would highly recommend this and will definitely be putting it on my Christmas list.

2. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

thanks so much for posting up this review
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey99 View Post

I would like to start by thanking the Mysterious Ninja that got me samples of both of these new flavors. Out of the blue, multiple scoops of each appeared out of nowhere! The macros are listed on the labels above and look pretty good. Let's get to the good stuff:

Vanilla Cupcake Batter:

Since I had multiple samples, it gave me the chance to try these in both water and skim milk. This is great because these are my most common uses and not all proteins taste good mixed in water. I mixed one scoop in 8oz. of water and mixed it with a few shakes in a blender bottle. This mixed very quickly and completely. So far so good. I tasted it not knowing what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised at how great it was. This protein tastes exactly like cake batter, even mixed in water! I even had my picky girlfriend try it and she was amazed.

I mixed the other scoop in 8oz. of skim milk and repeated the process. Once again it mixed almost instantly (you can tell it's going to mix well when you see how fine the powder is). In milk, it still tastes like cake batter, but the taste is more muted. It's good, but you lose some of the pure cake batter flavor. I would equate it more to eating cake with creamy frosting on it. Still good for sure.

Overall, I would give the Vanilla Cupcake Batter flavor of CL's PROnom 23 a 9/10 rating. This is easily the second best tasting vanilla protein I have had, and that's not even a completely fair comparison since this is Cupcake Batter flavored. The fact that it tastes so good in water is the selling point for me. I would recommend this to anybody that's a fan of cake or cupcakes and I will definitely be picking some of this up down the road.

Chocolate Cupcake Batter:

Once again, I had multiple scoops and decided to try this in water and milk. I mixed the first scoop in 8oz. of water and it mixed perfectly just like the Vanilla did. I was a bit surprised when I took my first drink of the Chocolate. I was expecting a really strong chocolate taste and that wasn't the case at all. The flavor was much more subtle, very similar to Nestle hot chocolate. I once again had the girlfriend try it to see what she though and she immediately brought up the hot chocolate flavor as well. I liked it, but not as much as the Vanilla Cupcake Batter. I would give this one an 8.5/10 overall rating.

All that was left was to try a scoop of the Chocolate Cupcake Batter in 8oz. of skim milk. Mixed great and had a nice, thick texture in the shaker. I was in love with this one from the first sip! This time instead of tasting like hot chocolate, it tasted like Nestle Quick to me. I love Quick because it has a more subtle chocolate flavor. I am not a fan of strong chocolate or chocolate that has hints of mocha or dark chocolate. The CL Chocolate was light and not too sweet and it really hit the spot. It was also kind of like a Wendy's Frosty if that helps. That light chocolate flavor in all the creamy goodness. Chocolate PROnom23 in milk was my favorite chocolate protein to date. I would give it a solid 10/10 , but I realize that not everybody appreciates the subtle chocolate flavors as much as I do. Either way, I would highly recommend this and will definitely be putting it on my Christmas list.
    Good Review David. You got me curious to try this stuff out. Generally speaking though...Controlled Labs makes good stuff. I haven't used any of their products I thought sucked or was disappointed in.

Cheers!

-Sean-
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SamBoz19 View Post
    Good Review David. You got me curious to try this stuff out. Generally speaking though...Controlled Labs makes good stuff. I haven't used any of their products I thought sucked or was disappointed in.

Cheers!

-Sean-
    Thanks Sean. I agree that CL makes quality supps, but you always wonder when a company branches out and makes a new product like a protein. They nailed it though and I would be surprised if we don't see more flavors coming after these take off.
  5. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This is a great review!!! Glad to see it is up!!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Controlled Labs Black Hole Review
    By bulls**t in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Controlled Labs Sale on REDuction PM and Golden Finish!
    By CONTROLLED LABS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Controlled Labs Orange Triad Review
    By LatSpread in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
  4. Controlled Labs ads from Flex, MD and Musclemag
    By CONTROLLED LABS in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM