Putting Carbs in Their Place with SLIN

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I am beginning a log on Purus Labs SLINshot as part of my pre-contest prep. As far as GDA's, I have previously used Recompadrol and Glycobol on multiple occasions.

SlinShot label claims:
-Increase Nutrient Uptake
-Enhance Muscle Glycogen
-Improve Carbohydrate Metabolism
-Enhance Insulin Signaling

I will dose this product as directed on the bottle unless anybody has a better way?

I have exactly 4 weeks and 2 days until my competition. I just finished the last of my Glycobol today so this came at a perfect time! My diet right now is very specific and regimented. I am following the Lean Gains protocol and do a form of carb cycling. My workout routine is more focused on higher reps in the range of 8-10 and I incorporate various exercises and styles.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Definetly in james

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
In. Good luck on the competition man.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
in! interested to see hwo u structure this with a comptition coming up, carbs, and IF....i will also be running IF with slinshot i believe......i will link u to my log once its up....KILL IT BROTHA!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awww sit son!!!! month huh...you better get it!!!
working on it brutha!

Definetly in james
good to have the recoverbros!

In. Good luck on the competition man.
Thanks!

in! interested to see hwo u structure this with a comptition coming up, carbs, and IF....i will also be running IF with slinshot i believe......i will link u to my log once its up....KILL IT BROTHA!
sweet, interested to see how you do too

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In..

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interested to see how you like it. You should be able to give some very good feedback being in competition mode.

Dosing by the bottle is good to go (2 caps before carbs) I'll use 3-4 if eating super high carbs but that's usually cheat meals

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I pick up to log this, you start a log and don't invite me but you invite Grambo?

That's how u do me?

I'm picking BPJohn next time...

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interested to see how you like it. You should be able to give some very good feedback being in competition mode.

Dosing by the bottle is good to go (2 caps before carbs) I'll use 3-4 if eating super high carbs but that's usually cheat meals
thanks for the info

I pick up to log this, you start a log and don't invite me but you invite Grambo?

That's how u do me?

lol, I linked it in your own promo thread yesterday bud!

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards

That's how u do me?

Lol....I don't apply for very many...

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aww snap!!! Its already getting Uber Cray cray up in here!!!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For my first dose I took two caps on a fairly empty stomach. I planned to eat within about 15 minutes but got busy and started noticing my stomach kinda hurting. Not in a bad way, but more of my body's way of telling me, hey you set me up for food absorption now feed me! It had been a little over half an hour. I actually didn't mind cause I could feel that my body was uptaking the nutrients efficiently.

I took another dose today before my meal and eat sooner with no problems. It was nice weather so I took my bike to the gym with my son who wanted to come with me. Andy Haman was there so we got to talking and he hooked my son up with some Dymatize swag and gave me a pretty cool shaker cup called a SpiderBottle.

http://www.spiderbottle.com/

Then my buddy and I began our leg workout. This is what we did.

-Began with something that I don't know what it's called. You load up some plates, lay your upper body across it and then swing your legs back and forth using your glutes. It also stretches out your lower back really well.

-Box Squats, did 5 sets of these

-Single leg hamstring curls

-Bulgarian split squats using the TRX band for the rear support leg, making it more unstable and forcing me to use my single leg more effectively. Started with body weight and then worked my way up. I got creative at the end and had my son climb on my back as I held a plate and did them. Worked fine until he kept shifting around and throwing me off balance!

-Finished legs up with Box Jumps. The highest I got was at about the height of my ASIS.

Doesn't sound like a lot but we did lots of sets and my legs are already feeling it.

Afterwards, we practiced our posing routines. My son wanted to do it with us so I showed me a couple and snapped a couple pictures.

I then took my family to the driving range and hit a bucket of 120 balls.

My boys:

We then played a round of mini-golf. I shot a 48 and par was 45, I think my best ever.

I had another dose of SlinShot with my dinner.

Overall, a fun and active day.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nice man, I always apperciate a entertaing family oriented log. Keep up the good work! BTW, your son looks legit doing that tricep pose haha... & they are playing golf already. Wish I got started at that early age!

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
That spider bottle looks sweet!! It's always nice to have a fun day with the kid too. I'll be watching for the results on SlinShot.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
Awesome update with the family. There is simply nothing in life that makes you feel as good as your son wanting to be involved with what you do.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice man, I always apperciate a entertaing family oriented log. Keep up the good work! BTW, your son looks legit doing that tricep pose haha... & they are playing golf already. Wish I got started at that early age!
Thanks, he does a couple poses pretty decently. He keeps asking to go to my shows so I think I'll take them with me to my next one. This was actually their first time at the driving range but they did pretty good.

That spider bottle looks sweet!! It's always nice to have a fun day with the kid too. I'll be watching for the results on SlinShot.
yeah I can't wait to try it. It was a space to carry two full scoops of protein powder separately and your supps, or you can take the blue thing out and do two more scoops of protein powder or pre workout.

Looking forward to seeing how you like it too!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome update with the family. There is simply nothing in life that makes you feel as good as your son wanting to be involved with what you do.
oops, missed ya. Yep I agree. I love it that they want to be so close to me and go to the gym with me and want to emulate me. Makes me feel good.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good update! I agree that bottle is pretty sweet!

fumoney

fumoney

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For my first dose I took two caps on a fairly empty stomach. I planned to eat within about 15 minutes but got busy and started noticing my stomach kinda hurting. Not in a bad way, but more of my body's way of telling me, hey you set me up for food absorption now feed me! It had been a little over half an hour. I actually didn't mind cause I could feel that my body was uptaking the nutrients efficiently.

I took another dose today before my meal and eat sooner with no problems. It was nice weather so I took my bike to the gym with my son who wanted to come with me. Andy Haman was there so we got to talking and he hooked my son up with some Dymatize swag and gave me a pretty cool shaker cup called a SpiderBottle.

http://www.spiderbottle.com/

Then my buddy and I began our leg workout. This is what we did.

-Began with something that I don't know what it's called. You load up some plates, lay your upper body across it and then swing your legs back and forth using your glutes. It also stretches out your lower back really well.

-Box Squats, did 5 sets of these

-Single leg hamstring curls

-Bulgarian split squats using the TRX band for the rear support leg, making it more unstable and forcing me to use my single leg more effectively. Started with body weight and then worked my way up. I got creative at the end and had my son climb on my back as I held a plate and did them. Worked fine until he kept shifting around and throwing me off balance!

-Finished legs up with Box Jumps. The highest I got was at about the height of my ASIS.

Doesn't sound like a lot but we did lots of sets and my legs are already feeling it.

Afterwards, we practiced our posing routines. My son wanted to do it with us so I showed me a couple and snapped a couple pictures.

I then took my family to the driving range and hit a bucket of 120 balls.

My boys:

We then played a round of mini-golf. I shot a 48 and par was 45, I think my best ever.

I had another dose of SlinShot with my dinner.

Overall, a fun and active day.
Nice update !

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Sounds like a great day james, can't wait til my son is old enough to do stuff like that with

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice update !
Good update! I agree that bottle is pretty sweet!
Thanks, can't wait to try out the bottle tomorrow.

Sounds like a great day james, can't wait til my son is old enough to do stuff like that with
It's a fun time for sure. We get to play catch and wrestle and all kinds of things.

Looking good James Keep it up man!!!
Working on it Johnny!

Today is my rest/recovery day. As such, I also make it my no carb day and thus, no need to take and waste any slinshot.

shdwmsk

Awards
Subbed. Hope this helps with your precontest prep!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday I did an hour of fasted cardio with only 5g of BCAA's and yohimbine. Later that day I went and did chest and back. Here's how it went down.

While dieting I do higher reps, usually 8-10. Sets are usually 3-5. Nothing is ever set in stone, I go by how my body feels and push it until I think it's had enough.

-Hammer Strength Incline Press

-Bench Press

-Chest Press
compound setted with:
-Pec Deck

Then on to back

-Hammer Strength Iso-lateral Rows
did these alternating arms, no rest in between arms

-Hammer Strength High Rows

-Yate Rows

-Lat Pull-Downs

-Straight Arm pushdowns

I then finished with some extreme stretches (DC style)

Afterwards I took two caps of slinshot and had my carb/protein meal. Felt pretty good about today. Nothing adverse.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I did about 2 hours and 15 minutes of full court basketball. It was pretty fun but I should have stopped earlier cause I feel so exhausted now. I took my slinshot when I got home and am just now finishing up my carb/protein meal.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I knew having u log this would be a success :thumbsup:

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Today I did about 2 hours and 15 minutes of full court basketball. It was pretty fun but I should have stopped earlier cause I feel so exhausted now. I took my slinshot when I got home and am just now finishing up my carb/protein meal.
Sports > basic cardio anyday!

I played flag football with my students literally all day

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wish I played more sports. For now I got running. But James, I need to look into these DC stretches

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
I wish I played more sports. For now I got running. But James, I need to look into these DC stretches
The only cardio I do is sports

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I knew having u log this would be a success :thumbsup:
you know it!

Sports > basic cardio anyday!

I played flag football with my students literally all day
SO true! I could never have done two hours of cardio on a treadmill straight. I would have gone insane. Sports on the other hand, I can go all day!

The stretches are great. Dante Trudel (DC Training creator) has alot of good info on his website about it.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I did Olympic Lifts. I did the Clean and Jerk move in particular (enter crude joke here Fl3x ;)).
I felt pretty good and had some good lifts. I felt more loose then times past and could dip under the bar better on the clean. I did these for about two hours. However, I had my boys with me and had them practicing them in between sets as well. My older wanted to go up a little so here's a video of him attempting 37 lbs. Btw, he only weighs 50 lbs.

I'm about a month out from my competition and still have some work to do but I'll think I'm on track so far. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts unless you don't know what you're talking about cause you suck. :D Alright, go ahead and attack! I'm not posing but I do hope to get some of those pics soon. My buddy who I am training for him first competition has access to a school with a stage that we can use for practice.

I had my slinshot 15 minutes before my lunch today. I ended up working out a couple hours afterwards and have to say, I had some great vascularity showing through during my workout, more so then usual. I'm feeling pretty good and really good about the workout today.

So after my Oly lifts, I had a protein shake, waited 15 minutes and then did my metabolic sand conditioning. I forgot to take a picture so you guys would understand what I'm doing but I'll grab one next time. I did a series of functional exercises in the sand at a gym called Fitness Origin, next door to my lifting gym. I do several stations with 70 seconds doing each individual exercise and then 20 seconds of rest in between exercises. This is then repeated for three full rotations. Similar to cross fit but not really. Not really cause it's all in sand which increases stabilizer work and the focus is on proper form, not amount of reps. So here's what I did today:

-Push-ups

-Bicep Curls with resistance bands

-Bear Walks

-Battle Ropes, alternating arms in quick succession

-Kettle Bell upright rows to a Reverse Lunge

-Skull Crushers using TRX

-Lateral Frog jumps

Then repeated 3 times. It was pretty exhausting but felt great to get it done too. I then stretched and ate.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
That's awesome.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's the last video I did a few weeks ago. It's all I got for my back right now.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today, I thought, was very productive. I tried something new today for my cardio session. I used Lyle McDonald's Stubborn Body Fat 2.0 protocol (SBF-2). This is how it looks: In the morning I took 17.5 mg of SNS Yohimbine and 200 mg of caffeine, per protocol. I also added in 25 mg of synephrine cause I love that stuff. About 30 minutes later I did fasted cardio exactly as he has laid out. It went like this on my home elliptical:
-5 minutes of warm-up
-5 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with 15 sec all out and then 45 sec slow
-5 minutes rest
-40 minutes Low Intensity Steady State (LISS)
-Immediately followed by 5 more minutes of HIIT, this time with 30/30 interval splits
-5 minute cool down
For a total of 60 minutes.

Later this evening I did another 15 minutes of LISS and then proceeded with my chest/back superset workout.

-T-Bar Rows
supersetted with:
-Incline DB Bench Press

-Lat Pull-Downs
ss w/:
-HS Wide Grip Chest Press

-Close Grip Seated Cable Rows
ss w/:
-HS Incline Press
ss w/:
-Straight Arm Pushdowns

All exercises were done with 3-4 sets at ~10 reps.

I finished with practicing my posing routine.

I feel pretty good and can already feel the soreness in my chest.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn james, Your boys got some good form. You taught him well

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thats quite teh cardio session, nice work, woner how many cals that is!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn james, Your boys got some good form. You taught him well
Working on that, each weeks it seems to get a little better.

thats quite teh cardio session, nice work, woner how many cals that is!
For the SBF cardio session, I wore a Polar telemetry strap that syncs to my elliptical. According to what it showed, and I'm going off of memory here, it was just over 500 calories.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did LISS cardio again this morning for 60 minutes. It actually seemed harder to get through then the SBF.

Then I had my lunch consisting of: two grilled chicken breasts
large salad of baby spinach, lettuce, and alpha sprouts. Topped with white wine vinegar (consisting of a whopping 3 calories)
6 oz of blackberries
grape fruit and a mandarin
and two Slinshot of course!

Tonight I will do more cardio in the form of basketball.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright, last night I did my basketball as planned. Only played about an hour cause WAY too many people came. I had a good carb up day with plenty of Slinshot to help out.

Well, this morning I spent some time in front of the mirror shaving and noticed that I looked tighter. I think the SlinShot really is helping.

Today was a bit brutal. I started the morning with 60 minutes of LISS cardio on the elliptical. Later in the day I went to the gym and did Olympic Lifts, working on the snatch. While I was doing it, a girl came up to me and started talking to me about technique. I listened, and actually learned quite a bit from her! I guess her husband is on the olympic team.

After that I did another 30 minutes of cardio. I then sat in the steam room for about half an hour which gave me a lovely headache. I went and tanned afterwards and upped the time and ended up pretty red.

A couple hours later I returned to the gym to train my wife when she got off work.

So now it's about 10 pm, but I'm not done yet. I make myself a wonderful and filling salad consisting of lettuce, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, 97% lean ham, and vinegar. I ate that in the car as I made my way over to my buddy's gym in a neighboring city (what a good friend! :D). We then practiced our posing routines for over an hour. Got some good practice in today.

I felt like I accomplished a lot today but man am I exhausted! Getting ready to go to bed now. Just wanted to reiterate the physique improvements that I'm already seeing. My posing buddy noticed it too.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what are your cals at right now? you seem to be doign alot of cardio.....d o you do this to conteract calorie intake or does your body respond well to all the cardio, seems liek id lose alot of muscle , although it is LISS, what is ur typical LISS workout look like?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what are your cals at right now? you seem to be doign alot of cardio.....d o you do this to conteract calorie intake or does your body respond well to all the cardio, seems liek id lose alot of muscle , although it is LISS, what is ur typical LISS workout look like?
I only have 16 days until my competition and I'm really working hard on brining in the best conditioning I can, which is why I've kicked up the cardio. LISS done at ~60% of VO2 max mainly uses fat oxidation for the source of energy expenditure, which is why I do a lot of it. Plus it doesn't wear me out near as much. I just dropped my calories to my final low of 2,000 per day with 50% of my macronutrients being from protein sources to help stave off as much catabolism as possible in such a deficit. I'm also taking BCAA's throughout the day as well, which I feel really shines in cutting.

My LISS workouts vary. I like doing them on the elliptical and treadmill. I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I wear and use to help me know where I'm at as well as my own feelings of perceived exertion. On a treadmill, I'll often have it at 3-3.5 MPH at a 1% incline. I do it semi-fasted, so only taking in about 5g of BCAA's right before I start. The BCAA intake I follow is based off of the research that Layne Norton did. Doing it like this, blunts any possible increase from insulin through the rise in exercise induced catecholamines, which then keeps me in a fasted state. This allows me to predominately burn fat for energy while helping to negate potential muscle wasting.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel pretty drained today. Due in part to all my exercise yesterday but also because of my diet. Yesterday was my low carb day and I'm also following the Lean Gains diet, so I don't even eat for another hour. Regardless, I know I need to push forward to get the results I want. I don't think I could have done another elliptical session this morning without hating every minute of it and wishing it was over, so instead I did LISS with my wife by taking a walk around our neighborhood. I ended up walking for 52 minutes and 57 seconds. I went 2.32 miles at an average pace of 2.6 MPH and burned off 320 calories. Can't wait to eat, even though it's just a big salad and chicken.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Push through it bud, your going to look awesome for your comp! It will all be worth it...

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I only have 16 days until my competition and I'm really working hard on brining in the best conditioning I can, which is why I've kicked up the cardio. LISS done at ~60% of VO2 max mainly uses fat oxidation for the source of energy expenditure, which is why I do a lot of it. Plus it doesn't wear me out near as much. I just dropped my calories to my final low of 2,000 per day with 50% of my macronutrients being from protein sources to help stave off as much catabolism as possible in such a deficit. I'm also taking BCAA's throughout the day as well, which I feel really shines in cutting.

My LISS workouts vary. I like doing them on the elliptical and treadmill. I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I wear and use to help me know where I'm at as well as my own feelings of perceived exertion. On a treadmill, I'll often have it at 3-3.5 MPH at a 1% incline. I do it semi-fasted, so only taking in about 5g of BCAA's right before I start. The BCAA intake I follow is based off of the research that Layne Norton did. Doing it like this, blunts any possible increase from insulin through the rise in exercise induced catecholamines, which then keeps me in a fasted state. This allows me to predominately burn fat for energy while helping to negate potential muscle wasting.

goo stuff....keep up the work man, the suffering will be well worth it when show day comes!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Push through it bud, your going to look awesome for your comp! It will all be worth it...
goo stuff....keep up the work man, the suffering will be well worth it when show day comes!
Thanks guys, certainly will be. I read a quote tonight that I really liked. "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day." -Richard G. Scott

Everyday I draw closer to my goals.

So tonight for cardio I played some more basketball. Did about 2 hours of full court basketball. It was hard to find the energy tonight with how much I've been doing, but I managed to get some work done and have some fun doing it too!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Keep pushing to hit your goals.

Great log so far as well.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did another round of fasted LISS cardio this morning. I tracked it again and here's what it looked like. It was 52 minutes, 2.55 miles, avg speed of 3.0 MPH, and 322 calories. I'm going to eat here soon and then head to the gym in a couple hours.

Lunch:

Salad with 10 oz of shredded turkey breast, a grapefruit, and blackberries.

Dinner:

Salmon and the white stuff is cauliflower, steamed to the point where it mashes down easily and makes a nice rice substitute.