Putting the new RecoverPro to the absolute test!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I was honored with the opportunity to log AI Sports Nutrition's new reformulation of RecoverPro...Red Raspberry flavor. First off, I really liked the idea of this flavor. Not a raspberry lemonade, not a blue raspberry (granted I do like both of those) but something different. I was also grateful to received a drawstring AI gym bag, an AI shirt (that I like SO much better then the previous red ones), and multiple samples of their other products.

Now what can I offer in this log? Quality review that is unbiased (even though it is sponsored) with an exhaustive comparison.

So how do I do that? Well, straightforward honesty. If it tastes like crap then I'll let it be known, but if it tastes amazing then the accolades will appropriately follow!

How do I make it an exhaustive comparison? Simple. Compare the qualities of RecoverPro with the qualities of other similar products. For greater validity, I have attached pictures taken today of my BCAA supplement stash to give the potential consumers a relative idea of my baseline for comparison standards sake.

I will also focus on more then just taste. I will also remark on the quality, the texture, how well it mixes, all the pertinent things that correlate to a good BCAA product.

For the record sake, I have tried RecoverPro before, but that was the original version long ago...when they were only known as Anabolic Innovations! I tried the Lemon flavor and did NOT like it at all. It did not mix well for me and did not taste palatable. So when I found that they were coming out with a new reformulation and new flavoring...I was intrigued. However, I was not intrigued enough to risk buying it. Good thing the AI reps are good people and I was offered samples and this log. I decided to give it a shot.

Alright, so I have tried many different BCAA products but here are some that I currently have in stock at my house and I can do head to head comparisons on any of them that anybody wants to see. Just ask!

In case anybody has a problem reading any of the labels, these are as follows (from right to left, top to bottom): USP Labs Modern BCAA's-White Blue Raspberry, Labrada BCAA Power-Tangy Citrus, Primordial Performance iBCAA's-Unflavored, Scivation Xtend-Blue Raspberry, Dymatize Elite Recoup-Lemonade, Core ABC-Wild White Cherry.

Same, L to R, top to bottom: Labrada HICA-Max amino chews-Variety, Axis Labs N'Gage-Glacier Punch, Gaspari BCAA (tabs), same as first, same as second, BBS Beta-BCAA-Citrus Punch.

Random collection of other BCAA or EAA caps.

*I am 5 weeks out from my next bodybuilding competition and am dieting heavily so this is a very welcome addition. First initial trial and impressions will be conducted and related here tomorrow.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good Lord! I thought I had a stash, but that's just ridiculous. No reason to worry about going catabolic with that many BCAAs laying around! lol

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol, very true! I love to try different ones and use a ton of them when I do my contest preps and start dieting down.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am in bro.
:cool:

I'm stockpiling RecoverPro for my last 8 weeks ;)
They'll help you out a ton!

That is quite a selection of BCAA products KJ:eek:. I've tried most of those myself. I think it took me 6 months to finish the Labrada BCAA Power:p
lol! What's funny about that is that, well, I feel the exact same way! :p

interested in your opinion and effects, I've tried many too.
Thanks for dropping in!

Hey your doing the same log over at bodybuilding.com as well
Sure am. Some very different user groups over there and I'm on both forums about the same amount of time but I indivualize it according to any personal preferences people might have, i.e. particular requests, questions, ect.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I was honored with the opportunity to log AI Sports Nutrition's new reformulation of RecoverPro...Red Raspberry flavor. First off, I really liked the idea of this flavor. Not a raspberry lemonade, not a blue raspberry (granted I do like both of those) but something different. I was also grateful to received a drawstring AI gym bag, an AI shirt (that I like SO much better then the previous red ones), and multiple samples of their other products.

Now what can I offer in this log? Quality review that is unbiased (even though it is sponsored) with an exhaustive comparison.

So how do I do that? Well, straightforward honesty. If it tastes like crap then I'll let it be known, but if it tastes amazing then the accolades will appropriately follow!

How do I make it an exhaustive comparison? Simple. Compare the qualities of RecoverPro with the qualities of other similar products. For greater validity, I have attached pictures taken today of my BCAA supplement stash to give the potential consumers a relative idea of my baseline for comparison standards sake.

I will also focus on more then just taste. I will also remark on the quality, the texture, how well it mixes, all the pertinent things that correlate to a good BCAA product.

For the record sake, I have tried RecoverPro before, but that was the original version long ago...when they were only known as Anabolic Innovations! I tried the Lemon flavor and did NOT like it at all. It did not mix well for me and did not taste palatable. So when I found that they were coming out with a new reformulation and new flavoring...I was intrigued. However, I was not intrigued enough to risk buying it. Good thing the AI reps are good people and I was offered samples and this log. I decided to give it a shot.

Alright, so I have tried many different BCAA products but here are some that I currently have in stock at my house and I can do head to head comparisons on any of them that anybody wants to see. Just ask!

In case anybody has a problem reading any of the labels, these are as follows (from right to left, top to bottom): USP Labs Modern BCAA's-White Blue Raspberry, Labrada BCAA Power-Tangy Citrus, Primordial Performance iBCAA's-Unflavored, Scivation Xtend-Blue Raspberry, Dymatize Elite Recoup-Lemonade, Core ABC-Wild White Cherry.

Same, L to R, top to bottom: Labrada HICA-Max amino chews-Variety, Axis Labs N'Gage-Glacier Punch, Gaspari BCAA (tabs), same as first, same as second, BBS Beta-BCAA-Citrus Punch.

Random collection of other BCAA or EAA caps.

*I am 5 weeks out from my next bodybuilding competition and am dieting heavily so this is a very welcome addition. First initial trial and impressions will be conducted and related here tomorrow.

Looks like the inside of a drugstore. What the?. Why would you need all that stuff?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate logs. Here are my reasons. I don't care what your max lifts are or how much weight you can lift. Don't want see your damn workout every single day. Don't give a rats ass what you had for breakfast or "meal 1". The last thing I want to see is a picture of a guy with his shirt off flexing. I don't like when I have shift through ten pages of posts like "in", "subbed", "following".

If you're gonna review a product fine. If you lost fat or gained muscle or strength just say something like, "added 10 pounds to my deadlift!", "lost another 2 pounds of fat today!", "I look bigger in the mirror". All the sh*t is why I typically avoid reading logs.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First Impressions

I mixed one and a half scoops of the RecoverPro Red Raspberry in 15 ounces of cold tap water in a shaker cup. I selected this amount to give me at least 5 g of Leucine. This is because I use Layne's BCAA article/study advice on how to dose leucine for maximum muscle protein synthesis response, which formula (if I rember correctely) is as follows: .05 g of leucine per kg of body weight. So right now I'm sitting at 201 lbs and approximately 7% BF. So 201 lbs converted is to 91.36 kg multiplied by .05 = 4.57 grams of leucine needed for optimal MPS intake. Now, on to the review.

Formulation
This is a pretty simplistic but effective formula of BCAA's in a 4:1:1 ratio. What I like about this is that it's exactely what you need without all the extra crap like glutamine, ect. So I am pleased with this formulation.

Taste
This one was actually quite surprising. It was excellent! Most amino drinks are either ok or nasty. Some of my favorite ones taste wise are N'Gage, Recoup, and Xtend. Some of the nastier ones are Labrada BCAA Power and BBS Meta-BCAA's, IMO of course! ;) The Red raspberry tasted very good and was very smooth. It was sweet and tart in a perfect combo without either one being too powerful.

Mixability
This was mixed in a shaker cup. It mixed pretty good. It still had some floating aminos on top but very little in comparison to most that I've tried. I didn't have to force down an amino cloud at the end like I do with many. The best BCAA products, as far as mixability goes for comparision are, oddly enough, Labrada BCAA Power and N'Gage. The ones that made me force down an amino fluff cloud include Recoup and Modern BCAA.

Here's some pics I took of my first trial. I drank about 2/3rds of it before I thought to take a pic of it.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like the inside of a drugstore. What the?. Why would you need all that stuff?
I like variety!

I hate logs. Here are my reasons. I don't care what your max lifts are or how much weight you can lift. Don't want see your damn workout every single day. Don't give a rats ass what you had for breakfast or "meal 1". The last thing I want to see is a picture of a guy with his shirt off flexing. I don't like when I have shift through ten pages of posts like "in", "subbed", "following".

If you're gonna review a product fine. If you lost fat or gained muscle or strength just say something like, "added 10 pounds to my deadlift!", "lost another 2 pounds of fat today!", "I look bigger in the mirror". All the sh*t is why I typically avoid reading logs.
Thanks! I appreciate the wonderful input. So naked flexing, exact meal plans and excruciating lift stat details...got it! Anything else you want me to focus on and add to this log? :nana:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taste
...It was excellent!..The Red raspberry tasted very good and was very smooth. It was sweet and tart in a perfect combo without either one being too powerful.
^^^Agreed :)

~Rosie~

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last night was kinda crazy at work and I had to stay after so I didn't have a chance to get an update in.

I tried the Exclusive Spaz Patented Swirl and Sip method as recommended by him on bb! I did it in the exact same amount of water to keep it accurately comparable. It actually did mix better and left very little residue. See pics for comparison. I am really really loving this flavor! It's just SO good! This isn't just fan boy love which you can know because my last AI log a few years ago wasn't so favorable. I only say this to help lend credence to the validity of what I'm saying. This is the best flavored BCAA product I have had. I'm now wishing I got the big tub! :p

Another huge bonus is that it doesn't have a nasty aftertaste like some do. For example, I really like the Core ABC. It's a simple but effective formula and the Wild White Cherry flavoring is good...until right after you finish drinking it. The aftertaste is horrid and just drinking water doesn't dispel it. I have to have something else after it, be it food or anther kind of flavored drink. Again, this isn't to bash on Core but simply have a comparison baseline with what I got. There are some that are just plain nasty through and through like the Labrada BCAA Power, but their Grape Elastijoint is incredible.

The beginning look without any consumption yet.

Mostly gone using the swirl method.

You can see that most all the product was consumed without adding any additional water.

Today started late for me today due to not getting to bed till 4am due to work. But here's my breakfast: 4 eggs, 1 can of Tuna, 1.5 oz of cheddar cheese, and chives and spices. I'm doing no carbs today (I kinda do carb cycle but not a true version...more modified to fit me), so I up the fat to fill in the missing calories from the carbs.

This meal breakdown is as follows: (sorry to those that don't care but I've also had others ask for it)
Protein: 56 g
Carbs: 4 g
Fats: 27 g (11 g saturated)
Total Cals: 555

I'm on my way to the gym now to demolish chest and abs!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yah I am stockpiling as well so when I start prep I will be well supplied, cuz yah I will be inhaling quite a lot of it...
good idea, BCAA supplementation helps me so much anytime I cut.

Stop hoarding all the RecoverPRO LOL.
lol, yeah I'm going to need to get more myself!

Man that's an incredibly huge stock of BCAA's!
When I got my tax returns in I made a large purchase including tons of protein cause I knew I would eventually use it all and might as well get it while I had the funds!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I got my tax returns in I made a large purchase including tons of protein cause I knew I would eventually use it all and might as well get it while I had the funds!
Wise choice James. Your name is James right?

When I shop I like to think big and think i am already going to use this stuff I might as well buy it.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wise choice James. Your name is James right?

When I shop I like to think big and think i am already going to use this stuff I might as well buy it.
Yep, James is just fine! I agree, get what you know you'll need and use when you can.

Actually he likes to go by the King.
lol! Thank em! Updated entry coming soon.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Late But in Bud, How are things?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I ordered a large raspberry myself. I got the free samples. It really does taste that good. I can't wait for it to arrive. I love to use bcaa drinks to curb cravings for sweets On a cut. And it's almost summer and almost everyone is on a cut.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ordered a large raspberry myself. I got the free samples. It really does taste that good. I can't wait for it to arrive. I love to use bcaa drinks to curb cravings for sweets On a cut. And it's almost summer and almost everyone is on a cut.
Yeah it definitely helps when I'm craving something sweet too.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had a good workout today. I did chest and abs. I don't log my workouts or weights anymore so no excruciating detail but here's about how it looked...

Incline DB Press
several sets
I did 110 pound DB presses last week so I figured I could pound them out again this week and get it on video this time. Well...my spotter wasn't too versed in attentiveness and spotting techniques. The first attempt didn't go so well as shown below...

The second attempt was better am I'm glad I was able to do it but I was still disappointed with the ROM.

Flat Bench Press
several sets, went up to 275 as usual but it felt heavier today. Don't like that.

Decline Bench Press
just a couple sets

Hammer Strength wide chest press
Drop sets starting at 385 lbs

Finished off with some hypertrophy cable flyes.

Then I did some abs, I put a decline bench on a box and did 21's on it with a 45 lbs plate.

Then did some russian twists using the arm sleeves attached to the pull-up bar.

Afterwards I took my BCAA's and then did some cario on the treadmill. I did 40 minutes and gradually increased both the speed and incline angle as I went.

After that I did some regular and extreme stretches and then took two scoops of my delicious Muscle Pharm Combat Powder protein, chocolate peanut butter flavor.

The funny and encouraging part about today's workout is from two things that happened. I was offered a job as a personal trainer (I was training my friend who was working out with me at the time) and another guy I didn't know said he wished he could look like me! May not be much but it was a nice form of a compliment!

Here's some pics I took in the lovely bathroom mirror after today's workout. Exactly 4 weeks and 5 days out from my next competition!

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had a good workout today. I did chest and abs. I don't log my workouts or weights anymore so no excruciating detail but here's about how it looked...

Incline DB Press
several sets
I did 110 pound DB presses last week so I figured I could pound them out again this week and get it on video this time. Well...my spotter wasn't too versed in attentiveness and spotting techniques. The first attempt didn't go so well as shown below...

That is EXACTLY how i messed up my shoulder 7 months AFTER my shoulder surgery( well with not as much weight:p)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is EXACTLY how i messed up my shoulder 7 months AFTER my shoulder surgery( well with not as much weight:p)
It was pretty scary at first. I felt it going and knew I couldn't control it so I just dumped it.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It was pretty scary at first. I felt it going and knew I couldn't control it so I just dumped it.
That was the smart thing to do....unfortunately , i ended up doing something like a one arm fly and then dropped it.:tragedy:

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That was the smart thing to do....unfortunately , i ended up doing something like a one arm fly and then dropped it.:tragedy:
Ouch...bet that won't happen again!

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Nice work!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"It really does taste that good." Try using 2-3 scoops instead of just ONE when you get your tub - the taste is even BETTER, much stronger and fuller, with more tartness. Gotta :love: it!

~Rosie~

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a blended breakfast consisting of protein powder, whole grain oats, and a banana blended in water.

Right before my workout I took my BCAA's with some creatine mono and beta-alanine.

Back workout proceeded as follows in this exact order.

Started with t-bar rows (today I did the supported version, which I honestly like better because I feel like I can isolate my back better and hit it harder) and gradually increased weight with each set. I did about 7 sets. I normally don't do this many sets for one exercise but I have found this one to be very effective at hitting my back and plus Andy does ten when I workout with him and he's one guy I can trust.

Anyways, I decided to go for a PR for reps and slapped on 6 plates. I asked my spotter (same one from yesterday) to be there in case I can't get it up all the way or fail, but to not help. He kept his hand on it the whole time which was annoying but at least he wasn't daydreaming this time! Here's a video of my second set with this weight using the horizontal grip.

We then did wide grip pull-ups.

Yate Rows

Lat pull-downs (behind head)

Straight arm pushdowns

and then finished with weighted back extensions

Stretches

Cardio will happen later tonight.

Afterwards, I had my post workout shake consisting of protein powder and Labrada Power Carb.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So tonight I did my RecoverPro a little differently. I had my typical 1 and a half scoops but only add in a tablespoon of Frost Glacier Freeze Gatorade. This was to give me some simple carbs and electrolytes with my BCAA's before I did my cardio. I actually did a double batch in a shaker cup and drank half before and the other half after. For my cardio I played an hour and a half of full court basketball. So exhausting yet so fun and beneficial too!

So my diet layout so far for today was my breakfast shake as already mentioned, with the oats and banana.

Then BCAA's before my workout

Post workout protein shake with PowerCarb

BCAA's

Two cans of tuna fish with soysauce and some watermelon

BCAA's and gatorade combo pre cardio

BCAA's and gatorade post cardio

7.5 oz of chicken and asparagus

And probably a casein shake before I go to bed as well as my fish oil. today was a little higher on the BCAA's and carbs then usual but I also knew I would use it all with the intensity of my basketball playing.

Right now I'm cutting on 2200 calories and my macros are: 50% from protein, 30% from carbs, and 20% from fats.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a blended breakfast consisting of protein powder, whole grain oats, and a banana blended in water.

Right before my workout I took my BCAA's with some creatine mono and beta-alanine.

Back workout proceeded as follows in this exact order.

Started with t-bar rows (today I did the supported version, which I honestly like better because I feel like I can isolate my back better and hit it harder) and gradually increased weight with each set. I did about 7 sets. I normally don't do this many sets for one exercise but I have found this one to be very effective at hitting my back and plus Andy does ten when I workout with him and he's one guy I can trust.

Anyways, I decided to go for a PR for reps and slapped on 6 plates. I asked my spotter (same one from yesterday) to be there in case I can't get it up all the way or fail, but to not help. He kept his hand on it the whole time which was annoying but at least he wasn't daydreaming this time! Here's a video of my second set with this weight using the horizontal grip.

We then did wide grip pull-ups.

Yate Rows

Lat pull-downs (behind head)

Straight arm pushdowns

and then finished with weighted back extensions

Stretches

Cardio will happen later tonight.

Afterwards, I had my post workout shake consisting of protein powder and Labrada Power Carb.
Nice work bro.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually take Sunday and Wednesdays off for my recovery days, but today...was no exception! :D I took today off from the gym but I made sure my diet was exactly on, which besides a couple chocolate chips, I have been. But I have not been sedentary. I ended up painting for about 3 hours which was plenty of exercise for me today. For my decadent RecoverPro, which tastes so good it's like a treat on my diet, I decided to do it a little different. I put the same amount, 1.5 scoops in 12 oz of cold tap water in a shaker cup without a screen. It actually mixed even better.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually take Sunday and Wednesdays off for my recovery days, but today...was no exception! :D I took today off from the gym but I made sure my diet was exactly on, which besides a couple chocolate chips, I have been. But I have not been sedentary. I ended up painting for about 3 hours which was plenty of exercise for me today. For my decadent RecoverPro, which tastes so good it's like a treat on my diet, I decided to do it a little different. I put the same amount, 1.5 scoops in 12 oz of cold tap water in a shaker cup without a screen. It actually mixed even better.

If you mix it up early and let it sit it completely dissolves,

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Yep, DW's suggestion is right on the money!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you mix it up early and let it sit it completely dissolves,
I'll give that a shot today. I've tried that with some others and haven't had it work but I've never tried it with RP.

NxtGenCowboy

NxtGenCowboy

Awards
Great Log. Looking forward to more results..

RecoverPRO is a great product..

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today was delts.

Started with some DB delt flyes

DB shoulder press

Leverage shoulder press

Cable raises

Rear delt flyes

My arms were still a bit sore from painting yesterday and the previous workout so I didn't have as good of a workout as I would have liked.

Today I decided, at first, to see if the RecoverPro would mix by spoon. I used the same amount of RecoverPro 1.5 scoops, in the same amount of water that I usually do, 15 oz. It did not mix at all.

After some time of vigorously stirring:

So that way doesn't work. So I decided to follow the other suggestion of letting it dissolve. So I transferred it into a shaker cup and it mixed about the same as usual, pretty good but with some floaties. After about two hours (with no subsequent mixing attempts) I returned to find that it almost all completely dissolved. Success! That is the way to do it.