Good fish oil supp

1. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.79%

Good fish oil supp

Anyone know of a good fish oil supplement? Ive been taking the Berkley & Jensen oderless fish oil 1200mg....i take 4 caps in morning and 4 at night usually....was wondering if there was something better...seen a few at Sam's of their brand (members mark) that looked promising...also...im looking for mostly omega 3's in the supp? or do i need to look into omega 6's also....just wondering cause i have a friend who was given a diet plan to lose weight and it only specified omega 6 which was odd to me...any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.49%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

I would only worry about the omega 3's as long as you have decent nutrition. As far as a brand, CL's Oximega is the only one I've ever tried outside of what I pick up from Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. I didn't notice any difference, but that doesn't mean anything. That being said, I'm cheap and buy what's cheap when it comes to fish oil (at least so far).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.71%

Fish oil should be a part of good nutrition, not something that is used only if you already have it. When looking for fish oil, find something that is "molecularly distilled" and avoid the "health food store" brands if you can. Fish, especially certain kinds of fish, will have Mercury, PCB's and other toxins in them. If you get a brand that is molecularly distilled it removes all of these contaminants. The gold/industry standard right now is a source of fish oil called MEG-3™. Different companies source this kind for their products. Meg-3 brands have a little blue fish, otherwise just check the label to see if it is molecularly distilled if you plan on taking it long term especially.

DICE
    Last edited by BURNT DICE; 06-03-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spell checcker changed "molecularly to "muscularly" Doh!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%

Quote Originally Posted by BURNT DICE View Post
    If you get a brand that is muscularly distilled it removes all of these contaminants. The gold/industry standard right now is a source of fish oil called MEG-3. Different companies source this kind for their products. Meg-3 brands have a little blue fish, otherwise just check the label to see if it is muscularly distilled if you plan on taking it long term especially.

DICE
    When you say muscularly distilled in these last two instances in your post did you mean molecularly?
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Twinlabs Omega 3 100 softgel caps and it's molecularly distilled, and cheap.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Sam's Club brand is my favorite. Very cheap and orderless.

7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.71%

Ooops, my spell checker is making me look like an idiot again!!

Yes, it is in fact "molecularly distilled"...sorry.

Meg-3 fish oil is considered the gold standard and the source of fish oil that many brands use. Basically it is a major source of fish oil that companies use to stuff in their capsules. It is molecularly distilled and of the finest quality. However, as long as it is in fact distilled I'm sure it will be fine. Look at the EPA and DHA values though...that is really what you want to be measuring with respects to how much you take/potency.

DICE
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.28%

Spectrum Fish Oil with Vitamin D is molecularly distilled, as are Barleans Ultra EPA, Ultra DHA and Ultra EPA-DHA.
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.79%

my question is....how much epa/dha are you looking to take a day? 1g of each? that nutraplanet deal looks great....just wondering if 2 caps 3x a day is enough or if more is needed....
  11. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I'd take 6 servings of the Nutraplanet fish oil caps per day. So thats 12 caps. You could do 4 caps 3 times a day or 3 caps four times a day.
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%

That's only if you don't eat fish.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35%

Imho, Fish oil (Omega-3) is usually something people start taking... Use em for a while... and then quickly forgets about it... It is a STAPLE... I'm currently using a Swedish brand, very good price and quality! Taking 10 capsules per day!

Similar Forum Threads

1. What is fish oil good for bodybuilding?
    By beastmode2008 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
  2. Recommend a good fish oil plz
    By searcyc2 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 02:30 AM
  3. good supp
    By zeurd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
  4. looking for a good value on fish oil