MidwestBeast's **** Better Protein Bar Review (sponsored)

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

MidwestBeast's **** Better Protein Bar Review (sponsored)

So, a while back, Nate was giving away some opportunities to try the newest flavors of his Better Protein Bars. I was lucky enough to win an opportunity to try them and like everything **** - it was shipped out and here immediately. However, I'd been doing some major dieting and with my macro split, it just seemed impossible to work it in since it's relatively moderate in both fat and carbohydrates.

Well, Thanksgiving provided me with some breathing room and time to not focus on the diet for a few days as a reward to myself. While I was back in my hometown with my family for the holidays, I mixed up my batch and this is how I did it:

Recommended:

3/4 cup Honey
    1 cup Smart Balance Peanut Butter
    1/2 cup Water

My Method:

1/2 cup Honey
    1 cup Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter
    ~ 1 cup Water

I emptied the bag into a bowl, added the 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of honey and 1 cup of peanut butter. As I was mixing it all up, it needed some more liquid (largely due to leaving 1/4 cup of honey out, I'm sure), so I added in a bit more water here and there (probably no more than a total 1/2 cup extra).

From there, I placed it into a small, square, plastic tray and stuck it in the fridge for about 45 minutes or so. After that, it still wasn't quite as set, but my mother and I both tried some and it was pretty good. It tasted just a bit bland, but good (again, I attribute the lack of honey to some degree - I just didn't want the extra sugar).

The next morning, I tried some again, and it had firmed up a little more and even tasted a bit sweeter.

But, here's the kicker - I though it needed just a bit of sweetening up and the way I found effective without having too much impact on macros is sugar free cool whip. Man, let me tell you, that is absolutely amazing.

The flavor I have is sour apple and it doesn't have that strong of an apple taste - just enough that it's good, but not enough to be overwhelming. I would absolutely love to try the butterscotch at some point, because these are great.

I will highly recommend these to others and I will certainly purchase them in the future, because it's a treat. The one thing I'd want to convey (which one could easily tell just by reading the label) is that these should be viewed as more of a meal replacement bar than a "protein bar" due to the fat and carbohydrate content (not outrageous by any means, but enough that it needs to be taken into account).

Major shout out to Nate on this one. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are one stand-up dude and I appreciate that.

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Great review Beast!

Glad you liked them. Now that I've tried them all, I really like the original or chocolate banana as my favs.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.2%

Great review bro...

I usually stack up on these for a while and unleash them during cycle and PCT... makes getting enough protein and calories so much easier.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%

Just made a batch of the choc ras. Soooo damn good!
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%

This is great if you wanna use less sugar... I tried the SF Maple syrup recipe and didn't care for it too much.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.62%

My suggestion would be to add this substance called guar gum. It's a thickening agent that's used in a lot of gluten free recipes. So maybe roll the dice again and try the sugar free syrup and add the guar gum. You don't need much....I'd start off with a teaspoon and adjust from there.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I ordered a bag of these Sour Apple Better protein bars today and cant wait to try them. I've had the chocolate raspberry and they are excellent!!
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.32%

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHalf View Post
    My suggestion would be to add this substance called guar gum. It's a thickening agent that's used in a lot of gluten free recipes. So maybe roll the dice again and try the sugar free syrup and add the guar gum. You don't need much....I'd start off with a teaspoon and adjust from there.
    interesting idea here I tried some awhile ago and was thinking of items to add to it.I'll have to try this sometime.thanks.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.62%

Quote Originally Posted by mich29 View Post
    interesting idea here I tried some awhile ago and was thinking of items to add to it.I'll have to try this sometime.thanks.
    Anytime! I think i'll be adding a little psyllium husk for a fiber boost too
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

That's actually a fantastic idea. Doc suggested 2 tablespoons of psyllium 2x/daily for me and I usually toss it into the shake, which makes the texture not nearly as nice. I've got 2 bags waiting to be mixed up, so I'll try that in one of them and report if it makes a difference in taste at all.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.62%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    That's actually a fantastic idea. Doc suggested 2 tablespoons of psyllium 2x/daily for me and I usually toss it into the shake, which makes the texture not nearly as nice. I've got 2 bags waiting to be mixed up, so I'll try that in one of them and report if it makes a difference in taste at all.
    Word!
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post

I'm not sure how it will taste, but definetely let us know!!
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.62%

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    I'm not sure how it will taste, but definetely let us know!!
    I'm suspecting it would affect the flavor to some degree...how much is beyond me. Might want to add a little extra splenda or honey to counter balance that
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.03%

that sounds like a great idea
    ACSM-CPT

Similar Forum Threads

1. **** Better Protein Bar Review
    By bludevil in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
  2. MidwestBeast's SNS TTA-500 Log (sponsored)
    By MidwestBeast in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
  3. MidwestBeast's Controlled Labs Purple Psyko Review (sponsored)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
  4. MidwestBeast's L.I.T. UP Review (sponsored)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM