VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
[/IMG]

PREFACE​
First off, thank you Controlled Labs, in particular, RenegadeRows for selecting me to log BLUE GROWTH. I was instructed that in logging this new supplement, I was still afforded the ability to run it with a stack. I'm in the tail end of a Natadrol/Prime run, where I'm currently in PCT with Formadrol, T-911 and Icariin 50 and now, the addition of BLUE GROWTH. The last HGH product I ran was HGHPro months ago, so I'm looking forward to some deep, restful sleep with this product.

I'm a bit of an insomniac, which has real detrimental effects to not only working out, but actual work and activities in general, so any form of improved sleep is something I look forward to.

GOALS​
80% of my workouts are bodybuilding related, however, in recent months, I've grown a liking to Olympic Lifts, such as the Olympic Cleans and Olympic Snatch. It began when I decided my workout partner Zack, an MMA fighter, would benefit more if we incorporated some performance lifts to increase his power (striking, shooting, sprawling, hipping, sweeps...etc). However, Zack recently got an ACL tear and needless to say, his MMA career is currently in the back window. Therefore, real life applications of O-lifts began to diminish. Luck would have it, my new workout partner Dusty, plays football, so again, I was re-inspired to continue my O-lifts.

The bulk of what I log will be bodybuilding workouts, but the vast majority of my video logs will be of my Olympic Lifts. I may throw in the occasional big number lifts so I'm not accused of fudging.

I started filming some video when I was first made aware that I would have this logging opportunity, about three weeks ago and already I've made some significant progression.

I'll be recomping next week, so my goal of course is to increase my O-lifts, which are painstakingly simple sugars fueled, which will be interesting, and to hit 315lbs on the bench for 5 reps for 5 sets. I'm more so in a high intensity routine at the moment, with raising my bench being a high priority.

PREFACE TO VIDEOS * Please read!*​
Please, please, please ignore the giant Crossfit sign behind me in these videos. Crossfit has its place, but not for me and the athletes I personally train. It's the facility I work at, but I'm not a Crossfitter, "Not that there's anything wrong with that" to quote Jerry Seinfeld. I just want to make it clear that I'm an iron pushing, protein in the veins, carb counting bodybuilder. (just not carb counting right now).

3 Weeks Ago [3 days into Natadrol/Prime].

Warm Up/Technique Check; 95lbs

115lbs

PR [at the time] Attempt; 135lbs

PR [at the time] Sucess; 135lbs

YESTERDAYS VIDEOS
Crush previous PR [1 week post Natadrol/PRIME and I feel my shoulders look broader]; 135lbs

PR Attempt; 155lbs

PR Attempt No. 2; 155lbs

I know my flaws in technique is my inability to drop lower into the catch, but to be frank, I simply do not possess the required core strength to overhead squat that much weight, which I will be working on.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I DO BODYBUILD!!!

These are very old videos, which were taken the last time I logged BLUE GENE for Controlled Labs. I’m only posting them to show you guys that I am a bodybuilder and this is a bodybuilding log for the vast part. I didn’t want you to feel like you’re following a Road to 2012 Olympics or something.

100lbs Db Press for 22 reps. I was mid-bulk at the time, so please excuse the “thickness.”

295lbs Bench Press for 7

405lbs Dead Lift for 8; Touch & Go AND with wraps, I know...... I understand if you neg me and don't laugh at my weight Tomahawk!.

So, that’ll clear things up that I’m not trying out for the Chinese Nationalist Olympic Team or anything. I primarily bodybuild.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 Plates for 10 reps

5 Plates x 5 reps

Last edited:
Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
here my friend!!! and FIRST

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
Yo! Thanks for the invite.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Subbed for sure

looks like 455 deadlift btw

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some nice lifting going down there Sam, I just got my deads back up to 340 for 8 sans straps, yah it's a lot harder without. Core strength is still building back up. I will have to go away from heavier lifting and do HST for a while but hope to get some good numbers when I get to the fives...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some nice lifting going down there Sam, I just got my deads back up to 340 for 8 sans straps, yah it's a lot harder without. Core strength is still building back up. I will have to go away from heavier lifting and do HST for a while but hope to get some good numbers when I get to the fives...
Thanks D-dubja. I've been doing cobra stretches all morning. I'm still trying to get my lower back healthy enough to hit those heavy (to me) deads. I'm still pre-habbing my deads as well. It's such a great, beastly exercise, but it's such an easy exercise for me to get injured on. It's a severe love/hate.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks D-dubja. I've been doing cobra stretches all morning. I'm still trying to get my lower back healthy enough to hit those heavy (to me) deads. I'm still pre-habbing my deads as well. It's such a great, beastly exercise, but it's such an easy exercise for me to get injured on. It's a severe love/hate.
Yah for me it's the muslce right at the top of the glute I have to watch... using straps allowed me to use more of my upper back power, withought them there is more preasure in other places...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah for me it's the muslce right at the top of the glute I have to watch... using straps allowed me to use more of my upper back power, withought them there is more preasure in other places...
For me, its the same old mistake time & time again. I had a slip disc at L3, so when I'm healthy (or pain free that is), I tend to forget that I have a previous injury and my lumbar can take certain jumps in weight without issue. It's when I start making those jumps and making them issue free, that I revert back to an 18 year old who feels physically invincible and no longer progress in a subtle manner. It's in those times that I re-aggravate my lumbar (again & again). As much as I intellectually know & understand, it's hard for me to hold back on this particular lift.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
checkin in and subbed

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am in Kill this Volc!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me, its the same old mistake time & time again. I had a slip disc at L3, so when I'm healthy (or pain free that is), I tend to forget that I have a previous injury and my lumbar can take certain jumps in weight without issue. It's when I start making those jumps and making them issue free, that I revert back to an 18 year old who feels physically invincible and no longer progress in a subtle manner. It's in those times that I re-aggravate my lumbar (again & again). As much as I intellectually know & understand, it's hard for me to hold back on this particular lift.
yah when I get my core stength back will have to watch it... I am using sumo to avoid the back problems but then will have to watch for the hamstring pulls.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

I should be organizing my crayons by favorite colors and preparing for today's recess. You call me in here for this? :stooges:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
here

maybe I should start using straps?
With as many repetitions you do on Deads, I don't know how you go without them. 3-5 reps raw grip [pause & go] isn't that bad on the grip, but doing 20+ reps, I don't know how your fingers aren't falling off.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
what up volcom, thanks for the invite
and im in brah

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
225 for 30-35 reps is cake work man. I love endurance, the sweating, breathing hard, wanting to roll in the fetal position.

my grip is pretty strong but if I do slip I just let the weight down, readjust and attack it again.

my calluses actually have their own army which holds the bar...so I'm good :ntome:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
225 for 30-35 reps is cake work man. I love endurance, the sweating, breathing hard, wanting to roll in the fetal position.

my grip is pretty strong but if I do slip I just let the weight down, readjust and attack it again.

my calluses actually have their own army which holds the bar...so I'm good :ntome:
lol, like a squid. Your endurance on Deads isn't normal. The kind of pain threshold it takes to knock out that many reps with moderate weight is no joke on such a compound lift.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've always been told I was a somewhat genetic freak, my body has a mind if it's own sometimes. I'll hopefully be getting up a video soon

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Same issue here, herniated disc. I started deadlifting AFTER, at my chiropractors advice, and it's helped a ton,but I...MUST...BE...CAREFUL. I just do stupid uber-high rep low weight Crossfit DL now. It serves my grappling purposes well.

HOLY **** :shocked1: That's awesome.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same issue here, herniated disc. I started deadlifting AFTER, at my chiropractors advice, and it's helped a ton,but I...MUST...BE...CAREFUL. I just do stupid uber-high rep low weight Crossfit DL now. It serves my grappling purposes well.

HOLY **** :shocked1: That's awesome.
I agree, there's a certain weight i can rep at that makes my back feel stronger, no pain, no aggravations, but its hard for me to stay at a particular weight too long on this lift. I'll just have to learn some self control on DL's. It's hard because the bulk of my experience with deads and my primary obsession with deads, are with hitting those heavy, heavy 3-5 rep ranges. I can hit 315lbs for reps without issue, but again, it's really hard to feel like I could no more and not do it. I just need some self control.

and yeah, Big is something else with those reps.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll just have to learn some self control on DL's. It's hard because the bulk of my experience with deads and my primary obsession with deads, are with hitting those heavy, heavy 3-5 rep ranges. I can hit 315lbs for reps without issue, but again, it's really hard to feel like I could no more and not do it. I just need some self control.
Subbed big V!!:head:

Do you have a lifting partner these days Volcom? I remember Dorian Yates saying that his lifting partner isn't there to drive him to lift more weights or even execute more repititions, but rather to hold his infinite love for high intensity in check. He says his partner is there to make sure that he doesn't push too far and court injury. Of course this protocol didn't work out too well for him. He tore his quad early in his career, his bicep after his second Mr. Olympia win, and his tricep a few years later.
Some of us don't need to be driven, but we sure need some steering (direction) once in a while. :drive:

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
word, I very rarely have a workout partner now a days when actually lifting. when doing more field stuff (tire flipping, parachute sprints, wall rappelling) ive got dudes there (no homo) pushing me to the limit. nowadays I'm going to the gym at the awesomest times when the personal trainers are training their clients (old people/chubbys, so I get to bench in the power rack and push myself knowing I've got that "safety".

still learning to listen to my body, I was repping 205 the other day on shoulder press and had to stop at my projected rep/set range without adding weight. I pictured me badly injuring my shoulder and promptly moved to the next exercise. slow and steady, even though I think I could have went higher.

I love the looks I get when I've scraped up my shins after a grueling deadlift session or puked after an intense squat session. non BBers :lol:

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
cool

ill catch up later mate

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Here Sam!

Yo no shame in using wraps my friend...do your thing and love those videos!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Do you have a lifting partner these days Volcom? I remember Dorian Yates saying that his lifting partner isn't there to drive him to lift more weights or even execute more repititions, but rather to hold his infinite love for high intensity in check. He says his partner is there to make sure that he doesn't push too far and court injury. Of course this protocol didn't work out too well for him. He tore his quad early in his career, his bicep after his second Mr. Olympia win, and his tricep a few years later.
Some of us don't need to be driven, but we sure need some steering (direction) once in a while. :drive:
I think a lot of us need a voice of reason to step in now and then. I've been mandated by my training partner to perform no lower body movements for the next 10 days. I pulled a hamstring and adductor last week, but continued to squat, front squat and DL this week, attempting to work through the pain.

So, she stepped in and said "No more, buddy. What are you, stupid? Heal."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes and you have no idea how good it feels to have one again. My previous workout partner, who was of like-strength, perhaps even a bit stronger, suffered an ACL tear during MMA training and although the bulk of my lifting experience has been a solo one, once I got used to the friendly competitiveness and the presence of an external driver, going back to solo lifting felt lacking for me. However, I have a new guy, a football player, who's also of like-strength, while 25lbs lighter then me so I feel uber lame, but its been really refreshing.

I've been a bit off course with an over emphasis on all this Olympic lifting ish, but having a partner once again prioritizes the more bodybuilding aspect of lifting. We only do O-lifts once a week and the rest is good old fashioned HIT lifting.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
word, I very rarely have a workout partner now a days when actually lifting. when doing more field stuff (tire flipping, parachute sprints, wall rappelling) ive got dudes there (no homo) pushing me to the limit. nowadays I'm going to the gym at the awesomest times when the personal trainers are training their clients (old people/chubbys, so I get to bench in the power rack and push myself knowing I've got that "safety".

still learning to listen to my body, I was repping 205 the other day on shoulder press and had to stop at my projected rep/set range without adding weight. I pictured me badly injuring my shoulder and promptly moved to the next exercise. slow and steady, even though I think I could have went higher.

I love the looks I get when I've scraped up my shins after a grueling deadlift session or puked after an intense squat session. non BBers :lol:
Doing field work solo gets old real quick. I much, MUCH prefer going with a couple buddies. When I was cutting and running stadiums, I sort of preferred doing those solo and even some HIIT on the field, but I think I only preferred solo cardio on occasions because subconsciously or consciously, it meant I was only responsible for a certain degree of intensity. However, doing cardio with friends, particularly HIIT work, makes it two - three times harder.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subb'ed!!!! Strong intro
cool

ill catch up later mate
Here Sam!

Yo no shame in using wraps my friend...do your thing and love those videos!
Thanks Flex. I've been using my Versa grips on rack deads. I can rack 595+ rather easily now, but my raw grip can't hold more then 405lbs.

in for this :)
Thanks for joining in guys. I should receive the product today or Monday from previous ETA's. Crossing my fingers for today.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think a lot of us need a voice of reason to step in now and then. I've been mandated by my training partner to perform no lower body movements for the next 10 days. I pulled a hamstring and adductor last week, but continued to squat, front squat and DL this week, attempting to work through the pain.

So, she stepped in and said "No more, buddy. What are you, stupid? Heal."
I was the voice of reason last week. We were doing heavy chest and he felt his right shoulder twinge. I knew he didn't want to be the one to say, I don't want to continue on this, so I strongly suggested we moved on to something else and with light weight, high reps, instead of our planned HIT. I also suggested it in a way to seem as if there is no choice, not because I was truly so adamant, but I didn't want him to feel like dimming down that days workout was on his shoulders (no pun intended). I always watch out for my workout partners.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This afternoon is suppose to be our big back day, where I would normally hit some heavy bent over one arm rows, T-bars, racks and some other odd variations of lumbar taxing rowing motions, however, my lower back was severely inflamed last night, so I won't be doing any torso supporting rows, but more so weighted vertical resistance movements. It's going to be some ghetto fitness at the gym tonight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BLUE GROWTH ARRIVED

Awesome, as the titled suggests, the UPS guy just brought me my BLUE GROWTH, very cool :dance:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just deadlifted 465x1 :D

lower back is numb lol
NOICE!!! and at your body weight, that's pretty impressive. This is an old video of me hitting 465 for a couple I think. This was right after I hit 405 for 8, so I could have hit a few more. My best at 465 is 6 times I think, but I was around 217-218 when I did it. The leanest I've ever been hitting big numbers was when I was 197 and hit 495 for a single. You've got great DL numbers for being as lean as you are and I'm willing to bet you could hit 5 plates at your weight.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I'm in bulk mode right now, you haven't seen my log I don't think.

I'm taking in about 5.5-7k cals...weight is at 202 right now

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in bulk mode right now, you haven't seen my log I don't think.

I'm taking in about 5.5-7k cals...weight is at 202 right now
5-7 kcals!!!! Damn Michael Phelps!! Are they clean kcals or are you taking the fer real Michael Phelps approach with choco pancakes and McD's? I'd love to dirty bulk, but if I did that I'd bulk my way into clinical obesity.

Nice job man. My money is you look leaner at 202 then I do at 202.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
all clean...gallon or two of milk. lots of chicken, rice,veggies.

sub mfocker!!! :D