Unbelievable SNS Deals at The Planet!

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looking at Glycophase and Bulbine. Can they be taken indefinitely?

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bump for answer

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
Looking at Glycophase and Bulbine. Can they be taken indefinitely?
I would suggest cycling each at 12 and 6 weeks respectively.

For Glycophase, there is enough safety data on each of the components to support this length of use- potentially longer. I would however suggest cycling any berberine containing supplement. The pharmacokinetics suggest high scope for accumulation (high Vd, non-linear elimination/enterohepatic recirculation) and consequently a steady state concentration with repeated dosing- not something exactly desirable with a compound that can activate AMPK (as contentious as this is in terms of its effects on muscle protein synthesis).

For Bulbine, there's isn't enough data to support safe use beyond 6 weeks. That's not to say it is unsafe for longer periods- however at this point in time some preliminary safety data in rats (I'm not personally convinced by) might suggest this length of use pertinent.
I have explained my view on this safety data in the past- where people have taken hard and fast judgements on the safety of Bulbine. I'll explain it here again.
The histopathological changes noted in the rat study is likely result of the anthraquinone constituents of Bulbine. This type of constituent is also found (in higher concentrations) in far more commonly used herbals such as Senna and Aloe- and these share very similar and presumably idiosyncratic histopathological changes- yet have more established human safety profiles. Hypotheses formed in case studies for these herbals suggest an etiology whereby the anthraquinone constituents are metabolized by GI bacteria to hepatotoxic metabolites. This might explain the very rare,inconsistent and potentially idiosyncratic nature of this adverse effect- as well as its pathogenesis is in rats (different strains of commensal GI bacteria).

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I know I need to pick up a few things : )