high hemoglobin/hematocrit

M

maldorf

Awards
Ive seen some very knowledgable people on here posting about this problem. Ive seen how donating blood can help, but from what ive read it only brings the levels down about 2% or so each donation. Anyone done the double red blood cell donation? Doest that bring it down 4% or more each time? Problem I have is that in my area there is really only one organization that does blood donations, and youre limited to once every 50 days or so for regular and over 100 days for the double. I doubt this would be enough to bring my levels down.
Is Cpeil2 out there? Seems like he knows a lot about this subject.
How long does it take for levels to fall once the dosage of testosterone therapy is reduced? I know rbc's have a life span of about 4 months, so it sounds like it will take a great amount of time. Anyone have practical experience here?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive seen some very knowledgable people on here posting about this problem. Ive seen how donating blood can help, but from what ive read it only brings the levels down about 2% or so each donation. Anyone done the double red blood cell donation? Doest that bring it down 4% or more each time? Problem I have is that in my area there is really only one organization that does blood donations, and youre limited to once every 50 days or so for regular and over 100 days for the double. I doubt this would be enough to bring my levels down.
Is Cpeil2 out there? Seems like he knows a lot about this subject.
How long does it take for levels to fall once the dosage of testosterone therapy is reduced? I know rbc's have a life span of about 4 months, so it sounds like it will take a great amount of time. Anyone have practical experience here?
Yeah the average lifespan of a redblood cell is approx 120 days. What is your current Hgb/Hct?

M

maldorf

Awards
Yeah the average lifespan of a redblood cell is approx 120 days. What is your current Hgb/Hct?

Last test they came back at hematocrit 61, and hemoglobin 21. Quite high, but this was early in the morning and I had nothing to drink since the previous night around 11 PM. Maybe I was dehydrated and the values should have been a bit lower? Levels are obviously high though, and dehyrdation could not account for that much could it?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last test they came back at hematocrit 61, and hemoglobin 21. Quite high, but this was early in the morning and I had nothing to drink since the previous night around 11 PM. Maybe I was dehydrated and the values should have been a bit lower? Levels are obviously high though, and dehyrdation could not account for that much could it?
Those levels are pretty high to attribute only dehydration as the main culprit. It may very well be a combination though. When was the last time you gave blood? What was your rbc count?

M

maldorf

Awards
Those levels are pretty high to attribute only dehydration as the main culprit. It may very well be a combination though. When was the last time you gave blood? What was your rbc count?
I have never given blood before. Only recently has this problem come to my attention. I had a physical and my new physician brought the high readings to my attention. IN the past the docs had only said the readings were on the high side, but never gave me the numbers so I figured it was ok. I would think they would have brought it to my attention if it were a problem, so I suppose its just now that they are this high.
I now plan on giving blood, hope to do the double red cell donation, but worry they might say its too high to give. Do they not take blood in this procedure if its that high? I can see them not wanting it if its a standard blood donation, but when they are taking just your red cells in the double I would think that they could make use of it.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have never given blood before. Only recently has this problem come to my attention. I had a physical and my new physician brought the high readings to my attention. IN the past the docs had only said the readings were on the high side, but never gave me the numbers so I figured it was ok. I would think they would have brought it to my attention if it were a problem, so I suppose its just now that they are this high.
I now plan on giving blood, hope to do the double red cell donation, but worry they might say its too high to give. Do they not take blood in this procedure if its that high? I can see them not wanting it if its a standard blood donation, but when they are taking just your red cells in the double I would think that they could make use of it.
There is a such thing as a therapeutic blood draw for situations like this besides giving blood. It's actually an old school technique that was used to treat congestive heart failure years ago. Blood bank can be very selective as to what they accept and don't. I'd get in to see you primary MD and see what he suggests. Having your HCT that high can lead to potential thrombosis issues.

M

maldorf

Awards
There is a such thing as a therapeutic blood draw for situations like this besides giving blood. It's actually an old school technique that was used to treat congestive heart failure years ago. Blood bank can be very selective as to what they accept and don't. I'd get in to see you primary MD and see what he suggests. Having your HCT that high can lead to potential thrombosis issues.
Well, their answer is to drop test therapy altogether and never use again. This is not an option I want to explore,so looking to find a way to work around the problem. Going to try the donating blood and cutting down on test dose route. WOuldnt think just 500mg/wk cruise dose would do this, perhaps it was the duration everything was run.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, their answer is to drop test therapy altogether and never use again. This is not an option I want to explore,so looking to find a way to work around the problem. Going to try the donating blood and cutting down on test dose route. WOuldnt think just 500mg/wk cruise dose would do this, perhaps it was the duration everything was run.
I would imagine that duration of the test therapy is playing the significant factor here. Be safe my friend. I know you don't want to stop the test therapy, but you have to look at the very serious complications that can/may result in the long run.

Sergio Rossi

Sergio Rossi

Awards
Maldorf, I´ve been reading a lot about the relation between thrombosis and AS / hormones because in 2002 I had a thrombosis on my left leg after more than 1 year without using AS ( I was 28 years old).

In a nut shell, from the experience I had by reading medical articles and doctors I´ve been talking with, I can tell you should avoid the AS / test therapy if you or someone in your family (parents / brothers / sisters) have or had thrombosis or varix problems. AS / hormones raises the probability of thrombosis.

Recently I heard some news from a friend of mine (long term AS user) who used to donate blood in order to try to avoid thrombosis issues…he had a thrombosis, but I don´t know if he was still donating blood regularly.

I really want to take AS again, but I could not find a safe way to do it or even to control it. Believe me, thrombosis is a very serious disease. I had a pulmonary embolism during the treatment of thrombosis, and nowadays my leg has some problems with the blood circulation.

If you have some doubt, think twice before keeping going on with the test therapy.
On the other hand, If you find out a safe way to continue your test therapy, please let me know because I want to take AS again.

All the best
I hope you can understand my written English...this is not my first language.

M

maldorf

Awards
Maldorf, I´ve been reading a lot about the relation between thrombosis and AS / hormones because in 2002 I had a thrombosis on my left leg after more than 1 year without using AS ( I was 28 years old).

In a nut shell, from the experience I had by reading medical articles and doctors I´ve been talking with, I can tell you should avoid the AS / test therapy if you or someone in your family (parents / brothers / sisters) have or had thrombosis or varix problems. AS / hormones raises the probability of thrombosis.

Recently I heard some news from a friend of mine (long term AS user) who used to donate blood in order to try to avoid thrombosis issues…he had a thrombosis, but I don´t know if he was still donating blood regularly.

I really want to take AS again, but I could not find a safe way to do it or even to control it. Believe me, thrombosis is a very serious disease. I had a pulmonary embolism during the treatment of thrombosis, and nowadays my leg has some problems with the blood circulation.

If you have some doubt, think twice before keeping going on with the test therapy.
On the other hand, If you find out a safe way to continue your test therapy, please let me know because I want to take AS again.

All the best
I hope you can understand my written English...this is not my first language.
Well, I bought a hemoglobin meter and have been testing my own. In the past 5 weeks it has come down from over 19 to just under 18. It was 17.8 yesterday. So it is coming down, even while on test therapy. The meter is a good tool to keep track of the problem and is working well.
I plan on going to the blood bank this weekend, as the hematocrit should be under 54 now, which is the max they accept.