Anyone had Lasik surgery pre/post cycle?

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Strange question, I know. I remember reading in the doctor's literature some concerns about steriod use pre-surgery, but it's not the kind of question you can ask - "So Dr., how long after surgery do I need to wait before doing a cycle?". I know there are some medical professionals on the board, so I am hoping to hear where the concerns come from. I am guessing that too soon after surgery might affect the healing, but need better info than my guessing. Any idea? Thanks!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You coukld ask the doctor.I don't see why people don't,I mean who better to ask(sometimes)You could walk up to a cop and say i take steroids,it's not breaking the law.You prob wouldn't even be searched,who would say that if their posessing?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been thinking about that surgery. It would be nice not to have to worry about breakin my glasses. It is still controversial though, I have heard some horror stories.

elcid2007

Awards
I just recently had it done and I see 15/20 now as opposed to my contact lens prescription which was like -4.5

If you are getting it done, just make sure you spend it on a reputable doctor. No sense trying to go cheap here when playing with your eyesight.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
elcid2007, did you have any discussion about cycles with the doctor, by any chance? My wife had it done 1 1/2 years ago and is very pleased. For the actual time of the surgery, the $/hr is astronomical. I think it was in the seconds per eye.

elcid2007

Awards
No, I have not used any injectables or been ON during any major surgeries. I have just recently had the surgery and wanted to comment on how much better my 'quality of daily life' has become with LASIK.

I hated contacts and so did my eyes. They would always become red, irritated, dried out no matter what I did. Lasik was one of the best investments I have made thus far. Just make sure you use a reputable doctor rather than some Joe Shmoe. Like i said, it's your eyesight you are potentially endangering.

I don't see any reason that being ON would affect the surgery tho. Unless for some reason, steroids have an impact on your vision.

I was out of the gym for a week. You aren't to do anything strenuous/get any sweat in your eye for roughly a week to 2 weeks after the surgery.

MkUltra

MkUltra

Awards
elcid2007 is right dont skimp on the quality of the doctor

I too have had lasik surgery and it is lifechanging. It is quick and painless and I would say if you have a month before and one month after not on a cycle you will be fine.

The only thing I had was it looked like there was little spots of blood in the whites of my eyes, which could be exaggerated or made worse because of heavy lifted and/or higher blood pressure from being on cycle.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
MkUltra, so did you lift too soon after the surgery or were the spots there before? I read today on the LasikPlus site to not do any strenous excercise for 2 weeks. That might be hard, I haven't laid out of the gym that long for a very long time. Thanks for all the comments!

MkUltra

MkUltra

Awards
No, the spots are common, especially in men, dont ask my why. They were completely gone a month after the surgery. I did not workout for that month because of the surgery but I also went on vacation.

However, when I was on the plane, I had an excruciating pain coming from my eye on landing and take off. I mean this was one of the most horrible pains I had ever felt. I blame it on the pressure changes, so I would avoid this if at all possible.

If you must go on a plane I figured out a solution for this-take a decongestant and advil 1 hour before take off and 1 hour before landing.

Back to working out-
I would stay outta the gym for a month afterward, just to be safe. But after about two weeks you could start doing cardio again.

It is all worth it! Trust me I have 20/15!

MrDiode

MrDiode

Awards
Good doctors.. the Lasik-recommended ones.. what are they running these days?

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I'm scheduled for mid March, my wife had it about 1 1/2 years ago and has had excellent results too. The one thing that makes me think twice is my 6 yr old daughter. Missing any of her growing up would be terrible. Yes, a very, very, small chance that something should go wrong, but someone, somewhere, really is that statistic. I just don't want it to be me.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My wife's ran close to 3k. They have varying degrees or types of the surgery. It was kind of like the Craftsman tools "Good/Better/Best" to me. Of course, she needed the "Best"/most expensive version. I'm figurung on the same too. They do have a 1 year interest free/no payment deal if that helps. We'll do that and keep it in the bank to draw interest, then pay with a "flexible savings plan" from work to get the pre-tax savings too. Still expensive, but it all helps to minimize the big hit.

MrDiode

MrDiode

Awards
3k isn't bad at all from where it was this time just last year.

Is your doctor using that new LASIK machine or traditional?

Forget what it's called..

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's something I'll need to look into. Do you know what it's called? The Lasik Plus clinics seem to have a good reputation. Some people don't like the way they seem to process so many people, but on the positive side I would rather have a doctor who has done many surgeries compared to one who has done few. I think their volume also allows them to keep more up-to-date equipment than the smaller shops.

MrDiode

MrDiode

Awards
All I know is that the LASIK website/group absolutely abhors LASIK Plus.. and they really, really know their ****.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Got a link? Sounds like I should check this out. Thanks!

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I happened across it after you mentioned a group. Im there now, and will do lits of reading in the near future. Thanks again.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
It ran me 5k, but I got the all laser LASIK with custom wavefront reshaping of my eyes to get rid of my stigmatism's. The package also guaranteed me touch ups for free for a year. And touch ups for life if necessary for $400. It's worth it, and I was only out of the gym for 4 days. They strongly recommend no heavy lifting for 2-3 days after surgery. After that no big deal. I had no pain, no issues. The red splotches on the white of your eye ball are broken blood vessels in your eye from the suction applied during surgery. They can range from small to large, from short duration to longer duration depending on your body's reaction to the pressure. I had rather large red splotches, that stayed for a couple of weeks.

As far as cycling, I didn't bother to ask because I wasn't planning on it, but I would never recommend being ON and not talking to the doctor about it. Just ask the doctor, the worst they can say is no its not allowed. And the actual surgery lasts like 5 minutes...no joke...$5000 for 5 minutes of surgery...thats $1000/min, or $16.67/sec.

On a side note I got the all laser, because I couldn't stand the thought of a blade cutting the flap in my eye...and the laser is more precise (i.e. less room for complications)

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yep, it was pretty freaky watchng them cut my wife's eyes, and then see the laser blast them, all on a big screen TV in the waiting room. I think watching was worse than the actual surgery, based on seeing how well she recovered. Did you go to a chain, or a local doctor? I will look into the all-laser type when I go talk to them in a few weeks. My wife got the touch up insurance, and luckily didn't need it.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I went to Kremer Laser Eye Center here in Delaware. It's a "chain" I guess, because they have more than one office, but they were highly recommended by multiple eye doctor offices I called. Yeah, I looked at it like a 20 year investment...so 5k for 20 years isn't too bad to me.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
On a side note, if your employer has a Flexible Spending Account, use that. I did and I paid for the entire thing with PRE-TAX dollars. So thats 5k that the gov't never gets to tax. And they deduct it from my paycheck over this year. Pretty cool if you ask me.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. I plan to use their interest free financing, combined with my Flexible Spending to pay the payments. Tax free like you said, and keep a "nest egg" in the account just in case its needed for an emergency. We get our balance credited at the beginning of the year, so I could pay it up front, but like the idea of keeping the majority and doling it out monthly, "just in case".

MkUltra

MkUltra

Awards
I wanted to get the all laser treatment done as well because it sounds less invasive but apparently thats not right.

They told me that the cutter/saw thing they use now is very, very good and actually a lot more precise then the laser. The laser can cause a lot more inflammation/irritation and it also costs more.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
See thats opposite of what the multiple doctors I talked to said. The knife is less maneuverable resulting in a larger chance that the flap will be cut jaggedly, and if that happens they stop the procedure and ask you to come back in 2-3 months when its healed back up. The laser doesn't actually cut the eyeball, it builds little "bubbles" under the surface of the eye until the flap literally lifts off. Although even with the pain meds and eye drops that part still hurt a little. Who knows though, I've had doctors recommend the all laser, and doctors recommend the knife procedure.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
It ran me 5k, but I got the all laser LASIK with custom wavefront reshaping of my eyes to get rid of my stigmatism's. The package also guaranteed me touch ups for free for a year. And touch ups for life if necessary for $400. It's worth it, and I was only out of the gym for 4 days. They strongly recommend no heavy lifting for 2-3 days after surgery. After that no big deal. I had no pain, no issues. The red splotches on the white of your eye ball are broken blood vessels in your eye from the suction applied during surgery. They can range from small to large, from short duration to longer duration depending on your body's reaction to the pressure. I had rather large red splotches, that stayed for a couple of weeks.

As far as cycling, I didn't bother to ask because I wasn't planning on it, but I would never recommend being ON and not talking to the doctor about it. Just ask the doctor, the worst they can say is no its not allowed. And the actual surgery lasts like 5 minutes...no joke...$5000 for 5 minutes of surgery...thats $1000/min, or $16.67/sec.

On a side note I got the all laser, because I couldn't stand the thought of a blade cutting the flap in my eye...and the laser is more precise (i.e. less room for complications)

I had the same procedure done! Custom LASIK, correction for astigmatism, no blades, all laser. It was VERY quick and painless! The BEST $4,500 (roughly) i have spent in a long time! Its been a little over 2 years now and i still see 20/15! I got is done so that i didnt have to deal with contacts or glasses going to Iraq, but regardless of the reasoning, i would have done it either way! TRUST ME... its SOOOO nice to wake up seeing the clock crystal clear!

The ONLY issue i have/had is slight dry eye. I had it PRIOR to the surgery, but it is about the same MAYBE worse at times since the surgery. Its NOTHING that effects me in any negative way... but i notice my eyes arent nearly as itchy or anything when i put drops in. I'll take slight dry-eyes for 20/15 vision ANY day!

Also, haev run a cycle since the surgery (nearly 2 years later) and there is no issue. I think the reasoning for the "no strenuous lifting" is due to the fact that the "flap" that they cut to perform the surgery needs time to heal. Pressure changes can disrupt that. So i ASSUME that pressing your max might raise blood pressure and COULD disrupt the flap/healing process by a couple days. I took the time off, myself... It gave me a good period to recover and i hit the gym that much harder when i got back! Just my 2-cents... hope it helped...

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
Simply stating...the success rate is greater now a days than before...I had it done 1.5 yrs ago and still see 20/15 and had no complications...

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Insidious1, where did you have the surgery done?

And thank you for your service!!! I'd put some kind of smilie icon here, but there aren't any that convey the respect that your service deserves.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Insidious1, where did you have the surgery done?

And thank you for your service!!! I'd put some kind of smilie icon here, but there aren't any that convey the respect that your service deserves.
;) <--- there ya go! lol I appreciate it... i genuinely do!!!

I had my surgery done at a local LASIK center... Its in FL... PM me if you would like the name as i dont prefer to give out info regarding my locality (i.e. where i live) via public forums...

Uf you are looking to have the surgery done... i HIGHLY recomend it!!