How-to make Technical Grade USP Oil Sterile?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Accidently ordered Technical Grade USP Cottonseed Oil, does anyone know how to go about making it sterile (ready for inject?).

The product is completely legal, from CuttingEdge, a former sponsor here. Just your basic 50ml Jug of Cottonseed Oil.

is this simply a matter of filtering it?

Thanks in Advance.
CED59

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Accidently ordered Technical Grade USP Cottonseed Oil, does anyone know how to go about making it sterile (ready for inject?).

The product is completely legal, from CuttingEdge, a former sponsor here. Just your basic 50ml Jug of Cottonseed Oil.

is this simply a matter of filtering it?

Thanks in Advance.
CED59
Run it through a .20micron filter into sterile vials.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Run it through a .20micron filter into sterile vials.
cool thought so... simple enough

do you know if the USP Cottonseed Oil sold is already filtered though? ResearchChem & ResearchLabSupply claim to have already filtered their product... no explanation on most of the other websites - all of them are sold for in the neighborhood of $6-7 of 50ml of Cottonseed/Grapeseed/etc.

thank you

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
cool thought so... simple enough

do you know if the USP Cottonseed Oil sold is already filtered though? ResearchChem & ResearchLabSupply claim to have already filtered their product... no explanation on most of the other websites - all of them are sold for in the neighborhood of $6-7 of 50ml of Cottonseed/Grapeseed/etc.

thank you
You usually pay a little more for 'sterile' oils and it will state that it has been autoclaved and/or is sterile.

I think ResearchLabSupply is gone. The other 'Innovative Technologies Company' has USP grade oils, but state:

Please Note: Although all of the oils we sell are all originally USP grade, they are purchased in bulk containers and re-bottled. The re-bottling process takes place in a very clean environment, with the utmost care for maintaining the product's purity. However, since the re-bottling process does not take place in an FDA certified clean room, these products are technically no longer USP grade. However, we guarantee the original potency of all re-bottled products.

They do say that they have been filtered through a .22u filter, so they are sterile.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
You usually pay a little more for 'sterile' oils and it will state that it has been autoclaved and/or is sterile.

I think ResearchLabSupply is gone. The other 'Innovative Technologies Company' has USP grade oils, but state:

Please Note: Although all of the oils we sell are all originally USP grade, they are purchased in bulk containers and re-bottled. The re-bottling process takes place in a very clean environment, with the utmost care for maintaining the product's purity. However, since the re-bottling process does not take place in an FDA certified clean room, these products are technically no longer USP grade. However, we guarantee the original potency of all re-bottled products.

They do say that they have been filtered through a .22u filter, so they are sterile.

Thanks for the info...
I had seen that disclaimer, I just wondered if it was common practice for them (Research Companies) to filter the oil with a .22u when transferring it to a 50ml/100ml jug. I just assumed it was, because companies I dealt with in the past did so, but now I wasn't so sure w/ CEM. I have an email in to them.

thanks again.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info...
I had seen that disclaimer, I just wondered if it was common practice for them (Research Companies) to filter the oil with a .22u when transferring it to a 50ml/100ml jug. I just assumed it was, because companies I dealt with in the past did so, but now I wasn't so sure w/ CEM. I have an email in to them.

thanks again.
A few places got into trouble with the FDA when they had the 'USP' label attached to 'USP Bulk Oils' that were transferred. I'm pretty sure that is what that disclaimer is all about.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
gotcha, so it's been filtered... just can't been deemed 'sterile' by USP standards because it wasn't done in a professional lab?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
gotcha, so it's been filtered... just can't been deemed 'sterile' by USP standards because it wasn't done in a professional lab?
Bingo.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
eggcellent.

thanks again.