Constant forearm pain? Thoughts?

RBakerian

Awards
I've been working out for about a year and a half now and I have this dreaded forearm pain again. I try to watch my form and I understand when you twist your wrists when your doing curls it can damage that muscle that runs along your forearm.

I dont want to have to stop working out again, I tried Supercissus before and it doesn't really work.

Would taking some sort of growth hormone or steriods allow me to move past this and heal this problem?

Thoughts? Thanks guys.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
I have the same thing. I got a prescription from my doctor called "Rest". Basically find a weight you can curl that doesn't cause the pain, and give it about 6 weeks to heal up.

To use an analogy, you are scratching the cut off a scab and saying "Why won't this thing heal? I've scratched the scab off every day and it STILL wont heal!!!"

I know you're not going to listen, and wait for some magic formula, but the magic formula is to listen to your body. The only purpose of pain is for your body to convey information to you for the purpose of acting on it.

RBakerian

Awards
I have the same thing. I got a prescription from my doctor called "Rest". Basically find a weight you can curl that doesn't cause the pain, and give it about 6 weeks to heal up.

To use an analogy, you are scratching the cut off a scab and saying "Why won't this thing heal? I've scratched the scab off every day and it STILL wont heal!!!"

I know you're not going to listen, and wait for some magic formula, but the magic formula is to listen to your body. The only purpose of pain is for your body to convey information to you for the purpose of acting on it.
/sigh... It hurts even when I lift a heavy dumbell. Maybe ibuprofen will help every four hours.. that's what he told me last time.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
don't lift a heavy dumbbell, that's what I'm trying to tell you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use TUT style. If you right now are using 100lb dbs, drop it to 60lbs, but do upward motion explosively, and take 6 seconds to bring it back down. this will work your muscles just as hard as the heavier weight for 2 seconds on the way down, yet not bother your forearm as much

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
How much do you think you are making in gains when you tear something and have to lay off the weights completely while you heal from surgery? Use weight that doesn't aggravate your injury. Unless someone else here has a magic solution...

RBakerian

Awards
How much do you think you are making in gains when you tear something and have to lay off the weights completely while you heal from surgery? Use weight that doesn't aggravate your injury. Unless someone else here has a magic solution...
I know, I just get discouraged is all. I'll give the TUT theory a try.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
RBakerian

I think both PhilABowl and EasyEJL have the right idea. For me the key to getting over most cases of tendonitis is not to aggravate the injury but still workout. Rest only goes so far. My rule of thumb for the injured area is to:
1) warmup, do a light set of something you can probably get 20 reps of. You don’t need to do all 20, something like 6 is good. Just make sure it is real easy.
2) for the rest of your sets, keep the reps high (for me this is 10-15, maybe 10-20). You can still go to failure and get a good wo.
3) I have a theory that taking a strong pain reliever (including Cissus) before a wo is the wrong thing to do. The key is to stop aggravating the injured area, and a pain reliever will only mask the pain. It’s ok to take something afterwards.

I find most forms of tendonitis are very exercise specific, just by trying something even slightly different you may be able to work around the problem. If this keeps coming back then you need to address the problem long range. I find incorporating into my normal workout some variation of the above therapy at least for the first set or 2 of each body part usually works.

Supplements for tendonitis:
Omega 3’s
Glucosamine/condroitin
Cissus (but not for at least a couple hours before wo)

The supps won't cure it, just speed it along. The therapy I outlined is the most important.

Re: /sigh... It hurts even when I lift a heavy dumbell. Maybe ibuprofen will help every four hours.. that's what he told me last time.

I’ve been told similar from my doctor, he said to double up on aleve for a few days, but I think it’s important not to have a lot of NSAIDs in your system prior to working out.

Re: I need to do flat bench somehow.
You mention DB, what about a barbell?

Re: Would taking some sort of growth hormone or steriods allow me to move past this and heal this problem?

I don’t know anything abut gh, but the last 2 times in the last several years I got tendonitis was while doing anabolics. Probably something to do with the muscle gaining faster than the tendons.

Recovery is slow and you need to be patient. For me, if I do everything right, it will take 6 weeks. If I screw up and feel real pain, then the process starts over gain. This is just my personal experience.

good luck, let me know it this works for you.

DB

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wrist used to kill whenever I did anything involving wrist supination, it hurt just to curl the Olympic bar without any weight on it. I layed off straight bar anything and stuck with EZ curls, and hammers for months. My wrist is fine now, but I still can't do straight bar curls or underhand grip, bent over rows, but everything else I'm good in.

Maybe you should lay off free weight presses for awhile if your wrists are THAT bad, you may get an uncontrollable strain in mid set and drop the dumb bell on your head.

Smith Machine Presses aren't that shabby.

Blazay

Awards
My wrist used to kill whenever I did anything involving wrist supination, it hurt just to curl the Olympic bar without any weight on it. I layed off straight bar anything and stuck with EZ curls, and hammers for months. My wrist is fine now, but I still can't do straight bar curls or underhand grip, bent over rows, but everything else I'm good in.

Maybe you should lay off free weight presses for awhile if your wrists are THAT bad, you may get an uncontrollable strain in mid set and drop the dumb bell on your head.

You obviously have tendonitis. Alot of people have had tendonitis in their forearms. The tendonitis will not go away unless u battle it. What do you battle with fire?? ICE!!!... ICE your wrists for like a week and watch the pain go away, its worked numerous times for me... btw tendonitis is a inflammation of w/e that body part

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
If it IS tendonitis, fish oil. Ten grams a day or thereabouts. I heal a hell of a lot faster using high doses, and it will work as an anti-inflammitory. NSAIDS will slow protein synthesis, and slow healing.

Why exactly do you have tendonitis, if that's what it is. There has to be something that you are doing that caused it. Either it's an exercise that you are doing with bad form(which actually, I doubt. It just isn't likely that you are repeating one particular motion during lifting that would cause tendonitis) or it is something innocuous that you're doing in everyday life. I had a client with tendonitis in her right wrist. Turned out that she had her seat at her desk at work set a little low to accomodate her short legs. Problem was that she had her wrist at a funky angle all day when using her mouse, because the desk was then too tall.

I'm betting on something outside the gym causing your problem. Do you play video games? Have an odd computer arrangement? Even if you don't play much, if you're doing something with an odd posture, it'll screw with you.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
alot of people get this and roids will probably make it worse actually, at least in my experience. The best thing is resting. Stay away from any excercise or movement that aggrivates it.

Dugyrios

Awards
I had this some months ago and went to the dr for it , what i had was called bicep tendonitis , the dr normally will never tell you to stop working out but will tell you to work around it, i quit doing bicep and tricep exercises for 5 weeks and took naproxen , give it a rest you will be suprised on how much it helps

Formula94

Formula94

Awards

I had the exact same thing about a year ago. I had to take a break for a couple of weeks from doing any upper body and then slowly got back into it. Still can't do straight bar curls or underhand BB rows either.
To the OP: get some wrist wraps as that seemed to help my pain tremendously.