Do not take Tylenol (acetaminophen) with Prosteroids

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is a very liver toxic compound according to this latest report from the amazing Life Extension Foundation. If you care about your liver, please stay away from Acetaminophen products including Tylenol, especially when taking prosteroids. The people who they site have died are people who have not eaten and taken tylenol (can you say dieting). I can only imagine a kid who drinks, takes his usual dose of XYZ-Drol in the morning and 3 tylenol...receipe for disaster!

The joke is that the Govt will tell you that steroids cause liver toxicity yet Tylenol is worse on your liver than any of the prosteroids.

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/Ms... rd=tylenol%20

Also, there is this one:

"Tylenol Damages Liver, Even at Recommended Doses

The pain reliever acetaminophen may cause liver damage in healthy adults, even when used at recommended doses, according to a recent report.5

When men and women took 4 grams of Tylenol, equivalent to the maximum recommended daily dose of eight extra-strength Tylenol tablets each day for two weeks, nearly 40% demonstrated dramatic liver enzyme elevations, which doctors consider a possible sign of liver damage.

Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is widely used to manage pain and fever. An estimated one in five US adults uses acetaminophen every week. Since acetaminophen is found in over 200 pain relievers and cold remedies, many people may consume large doses by unknowingly combining medications.

Life Extension has warned about the dangers of acetaminophen poisoning since 1992. Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the United States.6

Robert Gaston"

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good read legal! Acetaminophen truly has the ability to be very hepatotoxic when dosing outside 3-4 grams/day, or using it period for any considerable amount of time period. I've witnessed far too many accidental/intended acetaminophen overdoses in my career with the prognosis usually being very poor(hepatic failure) if not treated in time. The worst part is its devestating effects are generally insidious in nature.

dizi24

Awards
Great post. I don't even take tylenol now that I have read about it and what it does to your body. It's been a few years since I've even thought about taking it

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its a pity, as it was the only non-nsaid pain reliever

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
this is basic info
evry body who wants to gain normaly should already know this
any kind of asprin or ibprofen are big no nos
especialy if your sore just dont take them
they will hinder your gains
obvosuly im talking about taking alot of them like all day long for pain relife

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Defiantely a good post. I never really took tylenol, never responded to it well at all.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i rarely take tylenol, if i do have pain, and its intense, ill take 1600mg of ibuprofen, but thats once in a bluemoon. i try to stick it out for the most part.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imho acetaminophen is a terrible pain reliever in general. It works very well as an antipyretic though.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver failure in the US.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
i posted that before reading LG's post. but anyways its a good post

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Something that most people don't realize: Most prescription narcotic pain relievers also contain tylenol. Vicodin, Darvocet, Percocet, ect have sizeable amounts of paracetamol(tylenol) as well. Just FYI, if on a cycle stick to motrin.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is basic info
evry body who wants to gain normaly should already know this
any kind of asprin or ibprofen are big no nos
especialy if your sore just dont take them
they will hinder your gains
obvosuly im talking about taking alot of them like all day long for pain relife
acetaminophen is not a COX-II inhibitor, which is the enzyme necessesary for production of prostraglandins, which is how aspirin and tylenol hinder your gains.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Something that most people don't realize: Most prescription narcotic pain relievers also contain tylenol. Vicodin, Darvocet, Percocet, ect have sizeable amounts of paracetamol(tylenol) as well. Just FYI, if on a cycle stick to motrin.
Very true. Many people who take these narcotics long term have prescriptions for a decreased acetaminophen level......325mg/tab as opposed to 500mg/tab.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
acetaminophen is not a COX-II inhibitor, which is the enzyme necessesary for production of prostraglandins, which is how aspirin and tylenol hinder your gains.
your right its not an anti-inflammatory
but next time you run sdng stack it with acetaminophen

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
your right its not an anti-inflammatory
but next time you run sdng stack it with acetaminophen
Why would I do that, tylenol is terrible for the liver. :p

I was merely correcting you on the grounds that your post made it out to seem that acetaminophen was the same class of drug as aspirin or ibuprofen.

No One Knows

Awards
You can get most of those without APAP just tell the doc..

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is one of my main medicines of choice! Especially for anything pain-related. I'll be tossing all of it out. I've always known to stay away from Aspirin and pretty much figured that Acetaminophen was a friendlier substitute for it, but apparently not. I will be warning family and friends about this. I never would've thought it was more damaging than prosteroids. This is very interesting. The government makes absolutely no sense. Something that's proven to be more liver toxic, such as this, than steroids, the government doesn't have a problem with remaining legal and able to be consumed by Americans. However, prosteroids, are banned because they're so 'harmful.' This is just absurd. I hope somebody holding a federal position speaks out about this. The FDA, somebody in Congress, anybody. Thanks for sharing this!

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
not new information but i cant recall when i last took tylenol

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
Why would I do that, tylenol is terrible for the liver. :p

I was merely correcting you on the grounds that your post made it out to seem that acetaminophen was the same class of drug as aspirin or ibuprofen.
no its not you right but i was expressing the fact that none of them are good to dose every day for pain relief because of the long term accumulative effects of dosing every day

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
no its not you right but i was expressing the fact that none of them are good to dose every day for pain relief because of the long term accumulative effects of dosing every day
I hear ya. I really wish they took this out of nyquil.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is one of my main medicines of choice! Especially for anything pain-related. I'll be tossing all of it out. I've always known to stay away from Aspirin and pretty much figured that Acetaminophen was a friendlier substitute for it, but apparently not. I will be warning family and friends about this. I never would've thought it was more damaging than prosteroids. This is very interesting. The government makes absolutely no sense. Something that's proven to be more liver toxic, such as this, than steroids, the government doesn't have a problem with remaining legal and able to be consumed by Americans. However, prosteroids, are banned because they're so 'harmful.' This is just absurd. I hope somebody holding a federal position speaks out about this. The FDA, somebody in Congress, anybody. Thanks for sharing this!
why is asprin so bad?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
What do I take for pain relief then?

I'm in pain...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Acetaminophen is getting a bad rap here when some of its benefits are being overlooked. Like any substance it can be over-used and abused due to carelessness and ignorance. Acetaminophen is very good in its antipyretic effects(fever control.)

For some people it works very well in its pain relieving mechanism of action by raising the pain threshold, however for others it does nothing noteable at all to that effect. There is a time and a place when acetaminophen use can be very beneficial if used appropriately and as directed. It's not the acetaminophen itself that's bad, but its rather the careless/ignorant people that abuse it that continues to give a good drug a bad name.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about Naproxen on a pro steroid?
Naproxen is an NSAID like ibuprofen, aspirin, vioxx, dolobid, toradol, and celebrex. NSAID's are also metabolized hepatically(liver) and excreted renally(kidney.) So in essence they will add hepatic stress in conjunction.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's a good read guys:

NSAID-Induced Acute Hepatic and Renal Disease

Ronald S. Siegel, M.D.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are widely used throughout the world. It is estimated that between fifteen and twenty-five million Americans use them on a daily basis to treat pain and inflammation.1 This class of drugs has many well-known side effects including ulcer disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, acute colitis, central nervous system dysfunction, renal insufficiency, and mild hepatic injury. Adverse effects of drugs have been reported to account for up to 7% of hospital admissions, and of those, the gastrointestinal, renal, nervous system, and allergic effects of NSAIDs account for almost 30%.2 The following case illustrates unusually severe multisystem effects of a commonly-used NSAID.

Case Report
A 46-year-old Caucasian female was in her usual state of good health until 10 days prior to admission, when she began experiencing "flu-like" symptoms of fatigue, nausea, intermittent non-bloody emesis, and diarrhea. She denied fever, chills, abdominal pain, bloody stool, skin rash or arthralgias. Two days prior to admission, she noted persistent emesis and decreased urine output. One day prior to admission, she noted she was yellow. She denied intravenous drug use, transfusions, alcohol use, or known exposure to hepatitis. Her only medications prior to admission were over-the-counter naproxyn sodium 220 mg, 6 to 12 tablets daily, and acetaminophen 500 mg, 2 to 4 tablets intermittently, for 6 weeks prior to onset of illness, for treatment of back pains. She had no allergies and denied any significant past medical history.

On admission, she was a thin, acutely ill, deeply icteric female. Temperature was 98ºF, blood pressure 128/67 mm Hg, pulse 100 beats/minute, and respiration 22 breaths/minute. Pertinent physical findings included deep scleral icterus, jaundice without spider angiomata, purpura, or petechiae, and normal heart and lungs. The abdomen was soft with slight mid-epigastric tenderness and no hepato-splenomegaly, rebound or guarding. Extremities revealed no cyanosis, clubbing or edema. Neurologic examination was normal. Laboratory data included a white blood cell count of 10,600 with normal differential, platelet count 103,000, hemoglobin 11.5, hematocrit 31.8%, sodium 115 meq/l, potassium 6.1 meq/l, chlorides 76 meq/l, carbon dioxide 17 mm/l, urea nitrogen 112 mg%, creatinine 10.4 mg%. Liver tests included bilirubin 13.5mg/dL, aspartate aminotransferase (AST) 173 U/L, alanine aminotransferase (ALT) 750 U/L, alkaline phosphatase 668 U/L, albumen 2.8 g/dL and international normalized ratio 1.0. Hepatitis A, B, and C antibodies, Epstein- Barr virus antibodies and cytomegalovirus antibodies were negative. Acetaminophen level was undetectable, anti-nuclear antibody less than 1:40, and compliment C3 and C4 normal. Blood and stool cultures were negative. Abdominal ultrasound revealed mild hepatosplenomegaly, normal gall bladder, no biliary dilatation, normal kidneys, and no hydronephrosis.

Following rehydration and correction of electrolyte abnormalities, her nausea and abdominal pain resolved but the creatinine remained elevated at 10.4 mg%. Hemodialysis was started on hospital day 3 with gradual improvement in creatinine, although she remained anuric throughout the hospital stay. By hospital day 4, bilirubin was 3.1 mg/dL, AST 115 U/L, ALT 127 U/L, alkaline phosphatase 406 U/L. By hospital day 10, bilirubin was 1.5 mg/dL ALT 31 U/L, AST 13 U/L. On hospital day 10, a renal biopsy was performed, revealing acute tubulo-interstitial nephritis, with a diffuse lymphocytic infiltrate, and no evidence of chronic disease, vasculitis, viral inclusions, or immune complex deposition. Hemodialysis was continued and she was started on prednisone, but there was no improvement in creatinine levels. One week after discharge, her liver tests were completely normal, but she remains oliguric on hemodialysis 4 months after discharge.

Discussion
In the case presented, no other specific disease entities were identified that could have accounted for this patient's illness, and it is presumed that both the renal and hepatic dysfunction were due to the effects of naproxyn. Severe liver disease due to NSAIDs is rare, although mild elevations of aminotransferases are quite common.3 In a large retrospective study of patients using a .variety of NSAIDs, the incidence of acute liver injury was 3.7 per 100,000 NSAID users, or 1.1 per 100,000 NSAID prescriptions, and sulindac was the only NSAID found to have a substantially greater risk of producing liver disease of all the NSAIDs studied.4

Most NSAIDs are metabolized by hepatic biotransformation and excreted through the urine. While the exact mechanism of naproxyn-induced liver injury is unknown, it is likely an idiosyncratic metabolic reaction due to aberrant metabolism of the drug where accumulation of toxic metabolites in hepatocytes bind to cell proteins and lead to necrosis.5 The markedly elevated bilirubin observed in this case dropped quite rapidly once dialysis was started, suggesting that acute renal failure was responsible for most of the bilirubin elevation. Typical of this type of injury is the inability to predict whether or not liver damage will occur, and the lack of relationship between the dose and the severity of the reaction.

Two forms of acute renal failure have been reported with NSAID use. Hemodynamically-mediated acute renal failure occurs in the setting of preexisting severe effective volume depletion seen with such disorders as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, or severe gastrointestinal or renal salt and water losses. In these settings, NSAID inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis leads to renal vasoconstriction and decreased renal perfusion which can progress to acute renal failure.6 Acute interstitial nephritis is the other form of NSAID-induced acute renal failure. The exact mechanism is unknown, but it is postulated that NSAID-induced inhibition of cyclooxygenase may allow arachidonic acid to be preferentially converted to leukotrienes which can activate helper T-cells leading to an acute interstitial infiltrate of T-lymphocytes.7

Conclusion
Although severe liver injury and renal failure are rare with NSAID use, on occasion they can produce very severe illnesses due to the effect of toxic metabolites, or the potent effects of inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis on various organs. Patients frequently take much larger amounts than are recommended on the label, and because most people who use NSAIDs do not consider them "medicine," they may not tell their physicians about their use. In addition, as the baby boomer generation ages, there will be a large increase in the elderly population with a concomitant increase of chronic NSAID use to treat arthritis and pain. This in turn may well lead to a greater incidence of NSAID-induced disease. Physicians should periodically question their patients about the dosage and frequency of NSAID use and monitor both liver and renal function.

REFERENCES
Watson WA, Litovitz TL, Rodgers GC Jr, et al. 2002 annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers Toxic Exposure Surveillance System. Am J Emerg Med. 2003;21:353-421.

Pirmohamed M, James S, Meakin S, et al. Adverse drug reactions as cause of admission to hospital: prospective analysis of 18,820 patients. BMJ. 2004;329:15-9.

Carson JL, Strom BL, Duff A. Safety of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with respect to acute liver disease. Arch Int Med. 1993:153;1331.

Garcia Rodriguez LA, Williams R, Derby LE, Dean AD, Jick H. Acute liver injury associated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the role of risk factors. Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:311.

Lewis JH. Medication-related and other forms of toxic liver injury. In: Brandt LJ, ed. Clinical Practice of Gastroenterology. Philadelphia, Pa: Churchill Livingston; 1998:885.

Huerta C, Castellsaque J, Varas-Lorenzo C, Garcia Rodriguez LA. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of ARF in the general population. Am J Kidney Disease. 2005;45:531-9.

Abraham PA, Keane WF. Glomerular and interstitial disease induced by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Am J Nephrol. 1984;4:1-6.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
When I'm hurting really good, I take (1) Tylenol, (1) Advil, and (1) Aleve (naproxen sodium).

These studies are talking about taking 8 extra strength tylenol a day for 2 weeks. If you are taking that much pain killers for that long, you obviously have something more than a headache and probly should be on something prescription.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
livers are overrated

Thats what i think, i mean hell , they destroy all my anabolics damnit! How could it? I treated it so well.... wait...mmm.. nevermind on that thought!! :lol:

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Seriously though, what about the occasional dose of 1 gram tylenol pm? Do you think that will realy cause any long term damage? I take NAC pretty much year round and Milk Thistle during and after cycles. I don't drink ever and have a clean diet.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously though, what about the occasional dose of 1 gram tylenol pm? Do you think that will realy cause any long term damage? I take NAC pretty much year round and Milk Thistle during and after cycles. I don't drink ever and have a clean diet.
Good god no. I administer 1 gram tylenol often for fever in my profession. Guys acetaminophen is not bad when used correctly, it's the people that abuse it like anything else that gives it a bad name. Acetaminophen is safe and effective in recommended doses period.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's more about stacking it with Prohormones.

thedude325

Awards
I never take tylenol anyway. Most of my family members are alcoholics. (I used to be for a while too). So I grew up taking advil. (ibuprofen) This stuff is great. It reduces swelling in injuries too, if you take 4 twice a day.

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
I need my Tylenol PM.:sad:
Make your own...minus the tylenol.

Pick up some doxylamine succinate (sold as a sleep aid) and replace the tylenol component with ibuprofin.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
did you mean advil sinner? isnt acetaminophen tylenol?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
did you mean advil sinner? isnt acetaminophen tylenol?
Yeah he did mean ibuprofen, not acetaminophen :)....sorry sin, but i thought i'd help ya out. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make your own...minus the tylenol.

Pick up some doxylamine succinate (sold as a sleep aid) and replace the tylenol component with ibuprofin.
True that replacing acetaminophen with ibuprofen is better overall, however it's still hepatically metabolized. Better option, but still not perfect.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol can cause dammage with regular use or in conjunction with alcohol or anything else liver toxic. The only time i take it is when it comes in my Vicodin:thumbsup:.. and even then i always tell the DR. i hate tylenol and would rather have the 10/325 norco's...

And Sly if you need something to help you sleep try benadryl it works great.. So does the night time ZMA i have that has vallarian root in it...sleep like a baby..

St1ff

Awards
I got addicted to Excedrin at a really young age and took it every day for years.... sounds silly I know. I'm not sure if it was the caffeine I was addicted to or what, but everyday before school (from about the 4th grade up) I would pop 2 Excedrin. I think I've pretty much kicked the habit now tho.

I know people that were up to 20+ a day, which is just insane. My brother got up to 8-10 a day then finally decided to quit.

I did recently get some blood work done and they said my liver is ok.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
What is the difference with motrin?

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol can cause dammage with regular use or in conjunction with alcohol or anything else liver toxic. The only time i take it is when it comes in my Vicodin:thumbsup:.. and even then i always tell the DR. i hate tylenol and would rather have the 10/325 norco's...

And Sly if you need something to help you sleep try benadryl it works great.. So does the night time ZMA i have that has vallarian root in it...sleep like a baby..
Benadryl= tylenol pm - tylenol

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mortrin isn't metabolize by the liver. Its excreted renally.
Ibuprofen(Motrin) is most certainly metabolized by your liver. Ibuprofen is metabolized via hepatic oxidation by cytochrome P450 2C9 to two inactive metabolites. Plasma half-life is between 2 and 4 hours. Ibuprofen is excreted in the urine, 50—60% as metabolites and approximately 10% as unchanged drug. Some biliary excretion may occur.