B12 and the Metabolic Rate

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
For my buddy John B.....It's a great read

Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is naturally found in food such as fish, milk and milk products, eggs, meat and poultry. Fortified breakfast cereals are another source of vitamin B12 and a valuable source for vegetarians. Vitamin B12 is important for good health, necessary for the proper digestion and absorption of foods and for normal metabolism of carbohydrates, and fat. It helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is needed to make DNA. Vitamin B12 is bound to the protein in food. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion. Vitamin B12 was isolated from a liver extracted in 1948 and identified as the nutritional factor in liver that prevented pernicious anemia, a deadly type of anemia characterized by large, immature red blood cells.

In order to absorb the small amounts of vitamin B12 found in food, the stomach secretes intrinsic factor, a special digestive secretion that increases the absorption of vitamin B12 in the small intestine. Unlike other water-soluble nutrients, vitamin B12 is stored in the liver, kidney, and other body tissues. It can take several years before signs of the deficiency appear, all because of poor dietary intake. Vitamin B12 functions as a "methyl donor." A methyl donor is a compound that carries and donates methyl groups to other molecules, including cell membrane components and neurotransmitters. As a methyl donor vitamin B12 is involved in homocysteine metabolism and plays a critical role in proper energy metabolism, immune function, and nerve function. Therefore, vitamin B12 is clearly an added benefit for anyone wanting to lose weight, as without it, metabolism is not at its peak potential.

Dosing for vitamin B12 is dependent on the age of the individual as well as if the patient is pregnant or lactating. Vitamin B12 is necessary in only very small quantities No one has ever reported clear toxicity from vitamin B12.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vitamin B12 treatment normalizes metabolic markers but has limited clinical effect: a randomized placebo-controlled study.

Hvas AM, Ellegaard J, Nexo E.

Department of Hematology, AAS, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage Hansens Gade 2, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: The clinical significance of increased plasma methylmalonic acid (P-MMA) is unclear. We assessed the efficacy of vitamin B12 treatment in reducing P-MMA and plasma total homocysteine compared with the clinical benefits of treatment. METHODS: We studied 140 individuals with mildly to modestly increased P-MMA (0.40-2.00 micromol/L), not previously treated with vitamin B12, in a randomized, placebo-controlled study. A detailed medical history was obtained, and laboratory tests as well as an objective neurologic disability score were performed at baseline and 3 months after the start of intervention. RESULTS: P-MMA (P <0.001) or plasma total homocysteine (P <0.001) decreased in the treatment group vs the placebo group, but no significant difference was found in the change of blood hemoglobin (P = 0.18) and mean cell volume (P = 0.71). Changes in symptom scores did not differ between the groups for symptoms of anemia (P = 0.63), neurologic symptoms (P = 0.21), gastroenterologic symptoms (P = 0.32), or the Neurological Disability Score (P = 0.85). CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with vitamin B12 reduces P-MMA and plasma total homocysteine, but individuals with a mild to modest increase in P-MMA may have only limited clinical benefit from vitamin B12 treatment, at least in the short term.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. B-12 treatment is not oral.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
European Journal Of Haematology
Volume 67_Issue 2_Page 123_ - August 2001
_
Abstract: Human cobalamin deficiency: alterations in serum tumour necrosis factor-alpha and epidermal growth factor.

Peracchi M, Bamonti Catena F, Pomati M, De Franceschi M, Scalabrino G.
Department of Medical Sciences, Chair of Gastroenterology and Chair of Hematology, University of Milan, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Italy.

OBJECTIVES: We have previously demonstrated that vitamin B12 (cobalamin)-deficient central neuropathy in the rat is associated with local overexpression of neurotoxic tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha combined with locally decreased synthesis of neurotrophic epidermal growth factor (EGF). The aims of this study were to investigate whether a similar imbalance also occurs in the serum of adult patients with clinically confirmed cobalamin deficiency and whether it can be corrected by vitamin B12 replacement therapy. PATIENTS AND METHODS: We studied 34 adult patients with severe cobalamin deficiency, 12 patients with pure iron deficiency anaemia and 34 control subjects. Haematological markers of cobalamin deficiency and serum TNF-alpha and EGF levels were measured using commercial kits. Thirteen cobalamin-deficient patients were re-evaluated after 3 and 6 months of parenteral vitamin B12 treatment. RESULTS: TNF-alpha was significantly higher (p < 0.01) and EGF significantly lower (p < 0.01) in the patients with cobalamin deficiency, but both were unchanged in patients with pure iron deficiency anaemia. In cobalamin-deficient patients the serum TNF-alpha levels correlated significantly with plasma total homocysteine levels (r = 0.425; p < 0.02). In the treated patients TNF-alpha and EGF levels normalised concomitantly with clinical and haematological disease remission. CONCLUSIONS: In humans, as in rats, cobalamin concentration appears to be correlated with the synthesis and release of TNF-alpha and EGF in a reciprocal manner, because cobalamin deficiency is accompanied by overproduction of TNF-alpha and underproduction of EGF.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Metabolism 1994 Apr;43(4):468-9

Reversal of severe osteoporosis with vitamin B12 and etidronate therapy in a patient with pernicious anemia.

Melton ME, Kochman ML.
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

Pernicious anemia has recently been recognized as a risk factor for osteoporosis and fractures. Although vitamin B12 is important for osteoblast function, the effect of vitamin B12 replacement in states of vitamin B12 deficiency on bone density and fracture incidence is not known. We report 2-year follow-up data from a patient with severe osteoporosis, multiple vertebral compression fractures, and pernicious anemia who exhibited a dramatic response to treatment with vitamin B12 and cyclic etidronate. Serial bone density measurements demonstrated a 15% and 17% increase in the lumbar and greater trochanter regions, respectively, and a 79% increase in the femoral neck region over the 2-year follow-up period. In addition to normalization of bone density compared with age-matched controls, no subsequent vertebral fractures were noted in the 2-year period following initiation of vitamin B12 and etidronate therapy. This case demonstrates that osteoporosis associated with pernicious anemia may be markedly improved by vitamin B12 replacement and cyclic etidronate therapy.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
South Med J 1991 Dec;84(12):1475-81

Myths about vitamin B12 deficiency.

Fine EJ, Soria ED.
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, State University of New York, Buffalo.

Neurologic manifestations of vitamin B12 deficiency are protean, including neuropathy, depression, and dementia. We present evidence to dispel confounding myths about vitamin B12 deficiency. Hematologic indices are normal in up to 30% of patients with vitamin B12 deficiency, and results of the Schilling test may be normal in patients with symptoms of deficiency. Isolated neuropathy or myelopathy may occur independently, but often appear concurrently. The neuropathy is primarily axonal and predominantly sensory. Myelopathy is caused by demyelinated areas in posterior and lateral columns. After therapy, recovery from neuropathy is incomplete or may extend for several years. Vitamin B12 replacement should not be withheld from patients with borderline vitamin B12 levels, since the consequences of allowing myelopathy, neuropathy, dementia, and mental disorders to worsen clearly outweigh any disadvantage of therapy.

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
Okay so what you trying to say......you guys are going back and forth ...

I say try it. it won't hurt you ..but it may just give you energy to fly....right over to the local butcher's and eat a whole dead Cow....Ha Ha

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But it might not. My study was posted for the sole purpose of stating that its clinical use is far from magical or even necessary to some for its metabolic effects.

Rhapsody

Awards
My family raises equine.

I noticed a bottle of B12 in the fridge at the barn yesterday.

Is there a diffeance between Vetenarian B12 and human grade B12?

baham99

Awards
Human grade is supposedly much better, remember hearing it in a long thread by SHOT. I used the animal grade 1 cc ed for a month without any magic. It was mostly to practice site injections and see if it would help appetite and whatnot. Now that I'm off it I don't feel a difference. I would try human grade in the future, they actually come in amps rather than a big bottle, but the costliness of price exceeds my curiosity.

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
sweety if you would like I will send you a vial ...we have been friends for a while. I wouldn't take vet vitamins usp 24 can have up to 6% impurity's by law.....that a lot of crap to inject with out knowing what it is ...

vet b12 is oil based too ....

and to the rest of you Sale Sale Sale its ...cheep now

baham99

Awards
Mine is defintely not oil based. Aren't they all water soluble?? It looks red in the syringe but turns yellow on your fingers. I have had no problems, but I am willing to believe that it may not be 100% pure...not many things are. How much are human grade ones?

Rhapsody

Awards
The one I saw yesterday was from our vet.......and it was not oil based. It was in a dark vial but I could tell it was red and a thin liquid.

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
I haven't encountered water based vet b12 but that doesn't mean it isn't made. human grade will cost you $1 per ml + s/h......

baham99

Awards
Mine is by AgriLabs, 250 mL bottle, for less than $20. I use a 25g to draw and shoot, very easy. I'll keep the human grade in mind for when I get some extra money.

New Body

Awards
SO, IS THERE ANY BENEFIT FROM TAKING UNI-LIVER TABS? I PRESENTLY TAKE 24 TABS DAILY

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by New Body
SO, IS THERE ANY BENEFIT FROM TAKING UNI-LIVER TABS? I PRESENTLY TAKE 24 TABS DAILY

are you kidding or no?  Taking uni-liver tabs is not the same as injecting B-12 if thats your question.  But taking liver tabs are beneficial in my opinion.  I definitely notice a difference in many areas when im taking them. 

h19

New Body

Awards
Sorry for souding stupid, but yes I was being serious. I personally have gotten great results from taking liver tabs, including higher energy level, quicker recovery, etc.

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
do what works for you .....

ok first off do what works for you. Everyone's body is different....

It depends on what you want out of the b12...... Energy ,maximum tissue growth, or increased appetite, or increased metabolic rate.........Bet you didn't know it did all of that.

Increased energy comes from an increased protein systhsis.
this aids in tussue growth.......Higher levels will work better for growth.

The increase in appetite is do to the fact that the body likes to have the b vitamins together in balanced levels. the cravings come from the body wanting more food to balance the vitamins . Kinda cool .....

this is why people have cravings when dieting the body craves the vitamins ...this is the secret of success to low card diets

Kynoselen is great stuff........and it's usp 27 (witch is human grade )

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Re: do what works for you .....

this is why people have cravings when dieting the body craves the vitamins ...this is the secret of success to low card diets

Your kidding right? Where do you get this from? THe magic of low carb diets is reduced craving from the higher levels of FAT and the decreasing insulin response. This lets you burn fat 24/7 since insulin hampers lipolysis.

There isn't one study showing any magical properties of B-12 injections. Where do you get tissue growth from? B-12 normalizes metabolic rate. There isn't one study saying it increases anything and the clinical results are far from magical even from people with deficiencies.

All that you claim will happen with normal levels of B-12 along with other vitamins.

buyb12

Awards
  • Established
b12 and the rapid synthesis of DNA

No magic just bennifits .... what works for someone may not work for you .....do what work for you ....be healthy

Introduction

Vitamin B12 is a member of the vitamin B complex. It contains cobalt, and so is also known as cobalamin. It is exclusively synthesised by bacteria and is found primarily in meat, eggs and dairy products. There has been considerable research into proposed plant sources of vitamin B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds, and algae such as spirulina have all been suggested as containing significant B12. However, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans and so these foods should not be relied upon as safe sources. Many vegan foods are supplemented with B12. Vitamin B12 is necessary for the synthesis of red blood cells, the maintenance of the nervous system, and growth and development in children. Deficiency can cause anaemia. Vitamin B12 neuropathy, involving the degeneration of nerve fibres and irreversible neurological damage, can also occur.

Functions

Vitamin B12's primary functions are in the formation of red blood cells and the maintenence of a healthy nervous system. B12 is necessary for the rapid synthesis of DNA during cell division. This is especially important in tissues where cells are dividing rapidly, particularly the bone marrow tissues responsible for red blood cell formation. This is important for muscle tissue growth.If B12 deficiency occurs, DNA production is disrupted and abnormal cells called megaloblasts occur. This results in anaemia. Symptoms include excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection. Other symptoms can include a smooth, sore tongue and menstrual disorders. Anaemia may also be due to folic acid deficiency, folic acid also being necessary for DNA synthesis.

B12 is also important in maintaining the nervous system. Nerves are surrounded by an insulating fatty sheath comprised of a complex protein called myelin. B12 plays a vital role in the metabolism of fatty acids essential for the maintainence of myelin. Prolonged B12 deficiency can lead to nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage.
When deficiency occurs, it is more commonly linked to a failure to effectively absorb B12 from the intestine rather than a dietary deficiency. Absorption of B12 requires the secretion from the cells lining the stomach of a glycoprotein, known as intrinsic factor. The B12-intrinsic factor complex is then absorbed in the ileum (part of the small intestine) in the presence of calcium. Certain people are unable to produce intrinsic factor and the subsequent pernicious anaemia is treated with injections of B12.

Vitamin B12 can be stored in small amounts by the body. Total body store is 2-5mg in adults. Around 80% of this is stored in the liver.
Vitamin B12 is excreted in the bile and is effectively reabsorbed. This is known as enterohepatic circulation. The amount of B12 excreted in the bile can vary from 1 to 10ug (micrograms) a day. People on diets low in B12, including vegans and some vegetarians, may be obtaining more B12 from reabsorption than from dietary sources. Reabsorption is the reason it can take over 20 years for deficiency disease to develop in people changing to diets absent in B12. In comparison, if B12 deficiency is due to a failure in absorption it can take only 3 years for deficiency disease to occur.

B12 has very low toxicity and high intakes are not thought to be dangerous.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll say it again:

"There isn't one study showing any magical properties of B-12 injections. Where do you get tissue growth from? B-12 normalizes metabolic rate. There isn't one study saying it increases anything and the clinical results are far from magical even from people with deficiencies.

All that you claim will happen with normal levels of B-12 along with other vitamins.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
With that said again, good luck with your business venture ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 6
Nutrition / Health 0
Nutrition / Health 0
Supplements 5
81dcs Supplements 5