Suppression & Inhibition

theseus

theseus

Awards
I havent seen a discussion of short cycles for a while, and wanted to start one.

Obviously people have different reasons for staying on for X amount of time, whether it be for health reasons, or whatever.

Personally I like the idea of 2 on 3-4 off then repeat. However, I can never just stay on for 2 weeks, and end up staying on longer. Then when I try to come off, I end up crashing hard (I get EXTREMELY depressed and stop eating) and lose most of my gains regardless of my post cycle therapy (except ive never used HCG). Its usually just the first 10 days after coming off, but I lose everything in that time.

I was just looking at an older thread here:
Steroids: The New Rules - Bringing the science of - PremierMuscle

where it shows that it takes the body longer then 3-4 weeks to recover no matter how short you were on.

So my question is, has there been any new information published showing that the body can indeed recover quickly after being shut down for two weeks.

I'd like to do something such as the following.

day1: 300mg test prop + 100mg fina
Day 2-13: 150mg test prop 50mg fina

day 15-30: nolva 40mg
31-45: nolva 20 mg

I can usually go from 220lbs @ 9% to 235 @ 9% bodyfat in about 6-8 weeks , and thats about where Id like to be. So once I hit 235 I decide to come off and it all goes away. Which is why I know I need to keep the cycles short, or stay on for years at a time and use hcg.

I guess my other choice would be to stay on a cycle until im happy with my results (for me its 235) and then lower the dose (IE only 300mg test a week) and just stay on forever while taking hcg 3x a week to keep everything working.

Ideas?

Bone

Awards
You can try tapering down instead of coming off cold turkey... This might help you keep more of your gains

Peace

Bone

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
13 days on anything except anadrol or superdrol will be essentially useless, IMHO. orals are unestered, whereas the TP and TA you are suggesting will still take a week to build up to a reasonable amount to see gains.

you could try a super-high dose injected suspension cycle (or a base TD cycle) for 2-3 weeks....might work. i got gains from boldenone base TD after less than a week.

keep in mind that even test cyp @ 300mg shuts most people down COMPLETELY in less than 3 weeks (clinically verified - check pubmed)...shorter-estered or esterless hormones should do it even quicker. M1T or superdrol - within days.

theseus

theseus

Awards
I think im going to give my idea a try anyway. I might throw in d-bol but im not a big fan of any orals. Maybe ill start with a :
14 day cycle with 3 weeks off
Then a 15 day cycle, 3 weeks off
16 days 3 weeks off
etc

until I find the number when I feel like the crash is too extreme for me. Ill probably keep it under 3 weeks though.

I think im worrying about things too much. I hadnt jumped on the scale since I came off my last cycle about 2 1/2 weeks ago because I didnt want to see what I weighed. I jumped on this morning and im at 231. I feel like im down in the 220 range though, so it might just be in my head.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
why put your body through all that yo-yoing? its like sleeping at completely different times for two weeks at a clip .. your body hates you for it

i never cycle for less than 4-5 months usually closer to 6 .. then stay off for 4 months ... lets your body adapt to the changes in weight easily and get acclimated to holding more weight

the human body wants to be in homeostasis .. and constantly yo-yoing hormones is not conducive towards that end and IMO will result in not much in the way of gains

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Then when I try to come off, I end up crashing hard (I get EXTREMELY depressed and stop eating) and lose most of my gains regardless of my post cycle therapy (except ive never used HCG). Its usually just the first 10 days after coming off, but I lose everything in that time.
If coming off cycle makes you that depressed, then perhaps you shouldn't be taking gear at all. I'm certainly not an expert, that was just the first thought that came to mind.

Also, if you have a hard time keeping gains after a single cycle, I don't understand how doing multiple cycles in a short period of time is going to help you keep those gains. If anything, it seems counterproductive. If your problem is really that you stop eating completely, you need to deal with that first. Just eat enough. It's not that hard. I'm not trying to be an ass, but after going through the trouble and potential health risk of a cycle, it seems kind of ridiculous to lose your gains due to something like eating that's completely under your control.

Listen to Glen... he knows his stuff.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
6 weeks seems to be the magic # for me. great gains but not too much shutdown. I taper at the end also.

theseus

theseus

Awards
6 weeks seems to be the magic # for me. great gains but not too much shutdown. I taper at the end also.
See thats odd. People tend to think that you should either stay on for less then 4 weeks, or if you are going to go longer then stay on 10-12 and make it a regular cylce since there doesnt seem to be much of a difference in terms of inhibition between 4-12 weeks (although Id think the longer you stay on, the harder it will be to come off.

theseus

theseus

Awards
why put your body through all that yo-yoing? its like sleeping at completely different times for two weeks at a clip .. your body hates you for it

i never cycle for less than 4-5 months usually closer to 6 .. then stay off for 4 months ... lets your body adapt to the changes in weight easily and get acclimated to holding more weight

the human body wants to be in homeostasis .. and constantly yo-yoing hormones is not conducive towards that end and IMO will result in not much in the way of gains
You are saying that it takes your body 4 months to return to normal after a cycle, and this is more of a homeostasis then doing a short cycle where inhibition never really becomes a problem?

I guess im going to have to disagree with you on that one. I never want to get into a position where my body needs 4 months to recover from a cycle.

If I were going to stay on for more then 2-3 months, Id just never come off and use HCG.

Popa Murph

Awards
You are saying that it takes your body 4 months to return to normal after a cycle, and this is more of a homeostasis then doing a short cycle where inhibition never really becomes a problem?

I guess im going to have to disagree with you on that one. I never want to get into a position where my body needs 4 months to recover from a cycle.

If I were going to stay on for more then 2-3 months, Id just never come off and use HCG.
Glen never said anything about needing 4 months to recover. He just said he doesn't like yoyoing hormones and he takes 16 weeks off (at least I'm amssuming) in between cycles.

There's a big difference between being on for 5-6 months and being on permanently. Why not use HCG for your 12 weeks cycles?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Glen did NOT say he needed 4 months to recover.. he said he takes 4 months off after 6 months on... I have recovered in weeks after 7 months. He's just giving himself a break. Much different than how you read it.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i recommend everyone try different cycle lengths to determine what works best for them. there are advocates for every style of cycling, and they all have reasonably valid arguments to defend them...

HOWEVER - 2 weeks on test prop and tren ace is just plain dumb, IMO. big difference between the effects of an unestered strong oral 17aa (which are suitable for supershort cycles) and a milder injectable with a 4 day half life.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
i recommend everyone try different cycle lengths to determine what works best for them. there are advocates for every style of cycling, and they all have reasonably valid arguments to defend them...

HOWEVER - 2 weeks on test prop and tren ace is just plain dumb, IMO. big difference between the effects of an unestered strong oral 17aa (which are suitable for supershort cycles) and a milder injectable with a 4 day half life.
agreed though I would lean towards what glen said about longer cycle, I have ran both and the longer cycles seam to work better in the long run, esp health wise. Then again that is just my experance with it, others have done better with short cycles

short and long cycles both have both pro and cons, you are always going to lose on one hand and gain something on the other. this was well covered in the cycling for pennies thread as far as the short cycles at any rate. But same old is right, 2 weeks on just about any steroid is dumb, the only thing you are really going to acomplish is stressing your body. most steroids just do not start working fast enough to make this a viable option.

theseus

theseus

Awards

Thats why you frontload. The first two days I dont count as days of the cycle. More like t-2, t-1, then day one of the cycle.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thats why you frontload. The first two days I dont count as days of the cycle. More like t-2, t-1, then day one of the cycle.
guy - i understand short cycling and frontloading. i've also run some successful short cycles, but i found that i liked being ON too much to stop using it right when it starts to kick in.

if you find yourself crashing too hard after cycles, i would try HCG and/or HMG, and run something like IGF or a non-hormonal anabolic during PCT. i've also found clen to work great in that regard. the IGF will also stimulate hunger really well, too, which you said is the biggest problem...although the accelerated protein synthesis ON cycle is a big part of why we can eat so much so easily on juice - we need it. off-cycle, eating the same amount will not result in the same favorable distribution of mass, especially if you are significantly above your "natural" (drug-free) weight. for me, i accept this fate and always expect to lose a good 10lbs in the months following cycle end - but i bump up protein during that time, and reduce cals overall and use thermogenics. if i cant stay at a relatively lean 280lbs without being on gear (and i cant), then i'm gonna be as shredded as i can at 260. longer cycles allow this more effectively than do short ones - i can bulk all fall and winter on cycle, then pull it back in spring and summer and display as much of that muscle as possible. it's worked well, and my overall body comp is way better than 3-4 years ago, but i still dont weigh much more (plus, i found that all the glycogen and water and bodyweight really hurts my BP)

sorry for O/T - just felt like sharing.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
frontloading with Propionate of Acetate (or any short ester) is a complete misnomer.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
frontloading with Propionate of Acetate (or any short ester) is a complete misnomer.
eh, when your cycle is 13 days long, any multi-day-halflife steroid could be frontloaded. it brings serum levels up quicker, and that's what counts here....dont you think?

or are you only making a claim as to the questionable semantics?

theseus

theseus

Awards
guy - i understand short cycling and frontloading. i've also run some successful short cycles, but i found that i liked being ON too much to stop using it right when it starts to kick in.

if you find yourself crashing too hard after cycles, i would try HCG and/or HMG, and run something like IGF or a non-hormonal anabolic during post cycle therapy. i've also found clen to work great in that regard. the IGF will also stimulate hunger really well, too, which you said is the biggest problem...although the accelerated protein synthesis ON cycle is a big part of why we can eat so much so easily on juice - we need it. off-cycle, eating the same amount will not result in the same favorable distribution of mass, especially if you are significantly above your "natural" (drug-free) weight. for me, i accept this fate and always expect to lose a good 10lbs in the months following cycle end - but i bump up protein during that time, and reduce cals overall and use thermogenics. if i cant stay at a relatively lean 280lbs without being on gear (and i cant), then i'm gonna be as shredded as i can at 260. longer cycles allow this more effectively than do short ones - i can bulk all fall and winter on cycle, then pull it back in spring and summer and display as much of that muscle as possible. it's worked well, and my overall body comp is way better than 3-4 years ago, but i still dont weigh much more (plus, i found that all the glycogen and water and bodyweight really hurts my BP)

sorry for O/T - just felt like sharing.

I do run slin during PCT @ 8iu 2x a day.

I think this time my PCT just got screwed up because I tried clomid instead of nolva and it makes me extremely emotional and depressed. Not a depressed like "oh im sad" a depressed like I start thinking why I even bother getting up, so bodybuilding isnt on my mind at that moment. Nor is eating. I did switch from clomid to Nolva and felt a difference 2 days later, as my drive for living came back as did my appetite.

Two days ago I began running Mirt @ 7.5 mg a day and can say that ive never been as hungry. It does make me sleepy, but a couple of caffine helps me out.

I still think im going to keep running cycles for 2 weeks followed by 3 weeks off for another 6 months or so. Im 231 @ 9% right now, and would like to stay at the same weight only getting down to 6% or so. Ive been as heavy as 250 @ 13% and dont think id ever let myself get so fat again. I dont really believe in 'bulking' anymore I guess.

I do agree that long cycles may be more useful for the competitive bodybuilder, but I dont really have plans of being super huge, nor do I want to put myself at risk for doing permanent damage to my hpta or arteries as staying on may lead to.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, its appreciated.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
eh, when your cycle is 13 days long, any multi-day-halflife steroid could be frontloaded. it brings serum levels up quicker, and that's what counts here....dont you think?

or are you only making a claim as to the questionable semantics?
I would question the logic of frontloading Acetate almost as much as I would a 13 day run. ;)

I personally never saw a difference with FL'ing Enan/Cyp so I'm not much of a fan of FL'ing to begin with. That is just me and opinions vary as much as experience does.

And to use this approach with a 2-3 day halflife estered steroid (albeit for a short run) is almost superfluous.. almost..

There are some people that feel that frontloading raises SHBG levels and in turn hinders the very cycle you're trying to expedite levels with.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do agree that long cycles may be more useful for the competitive bodybuilder, but I dont really have plans of being super huge, nor do I want to put myself at risk for doing permanent damage to my hpta or arteries as staying on may lead to.
i assume you are agreeing with Author L. Rea on that?

you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that the HPTA prefers shorter cycles...or that the HPTA even cares, for that matter. i've been on as long as 30 weeks and i dont think i could have snapped back any faster (used HCG, clomid, nolva and 6OXO)....but results vary, and we all have very different endocrinology. especially Ubi. his resembles that of a horse's ass :twisted:

now, ALR did have a point about longer cycles of a certain variety being worse for your cardiovascular health - that's hard to refute....only cycles like low-dose primo or proviron or masteron or EQ would probably not be very detrimental. on test, deca, drol, dbol etc the water/glycogen retention alone is bad enough.

you only do slin 2-3 times a week right? i wont make you defend the potentially lethal slin use when you are trying to minimize risk with short cycles (thought it is a little bit funny), as i know slin can be used responsibly (i love the stuff)

anywho - try your cycle. it probably wont hurt, but i still think it's dumb ;) next time get base hormones and we can talk short cycles!

shivastool

Awards
Maybe this will help:

This is from RealGains on another board.
Steroids for health-SHORT CYCLES Explained
I would like to explain the benefits of short cycles for the recreational lifter, and that includes 95% of us I think. I would also like to clear up a few misconceptions in regard to short cycles in general.

WHAT MAKES A CYCLE SHORT

Short cycles are steroid cycles that do not exceed 4 weeks ,with 2-3 weeks "on" preferred.

WHY DO SHORT CYCLES

The main reason is to limit the negative health impact that steroids DO have on users.
For those of you that don't get lab work done while on steroids I would have you know that steroid use causes a very bad shift in the lipid profile. HDL(good cholesterol) which acts like a sticky sweeping broom to sweep up bad LDL (bad cholesterol) and prevent plaque build up on atery walls, goes EXTREMELY LOW in, dare I say, ALL MEN. Not only this but LDL levels usually climb and this is combo is not good.
Short cycles still cause a crappy lipid shift but not to the same degree as the long cycle. Also less time "On" means less time for potential aterial plaque build up.
After my last long cycle of 8 weeks I had some blood work done and my doc HAD A COW as my hdl to total cholesterol ratio was extremely poor.

There isn't a damn thing you can do to significantly avoid this....you can take niacin , flax oil , do cardio and have a pefect diet low in saturated fat and you will STILL get a very ****ty lipid profile.

So a very bad lipid profile with high ldl and rock bottom hdl is a SIGNIFICANT risk factor for aterial plaque build up and heart disease. As a side....anyone that thinks "Arny" only got his aortic valve done doesn't have a clue. I know for a fact that he had a coronary bypass as I have worked with members of the heart team that did his operation.

True there are other risk factors for heart disease but this is a big one and well documented as well.

HEW!!! Next ...short cycles limit other side effects like hair loss, acne, high Blood pressure and resulting kidney stress, testicular shrinkage and poor HPTA rebound.

Also short cycles are a heck of a lot easier on the old liver especially if 17aa orals are used....got to love d-bol he he he !

WHAT SHORT CYCLES ARE NOT

Short cycles will not result in bigger gains. Short cycles will not allow one to be competive in todays national level competitions. Short cycles will not give you 30 pounds of bulk at one time.

WHAT SHORT CYCLES CAN DO

Short cycles can give you decent gains that are FAR better than what you could attain to as a natural. Gains of 10 pounds are not infrequently kept form a short cycle with the novice or those that are not at least very close to their natural maximum weight.

Short cycles will allow a much quicker HPTA recovery than a long cycle and this allows one to kepp a higher percentage of ones gains. In fact full testosterone rebound often happens in but a week. Gains often continue in the weeks after the short cycle is over simply because ones natural test production often jumps a little higher than normal becuase the pituitary really hammers out the LH and the testes have not shunk.
My natural test production is quite good for a man of 40, at 550. I tested my test level a week after I stopped a 14 day cycle and it had rebonded to 650 from the immediate pre cycle 550. On day 15 it was down to 54!

How many of you bro's have experience gains AFTER coming off a 8 weeker...not a one I would say.

Lets face it bro's if you gain 25 -30 pouns of bulk in a long cycle you sure the hell aren't going to be able to hang onto more than 15 of those pounds over the next 6 months unless you were WAY WAY under your potential to begin with.

BEFORE DOING SHORT CYCLES.....

learn how to train and gain WITHOUT steroids. This is critical! IF one knows how to train without gear then adding a small amount of gear over a short period of time can result in great gains.
Trouble is almost nobody knows how to gain without steroids so they do the large doses over long periods of time to compensate for their chronic over training and poor training, sleeping habits.

ORIGIN OF SHORT CYCLES AND VARIATIONS

Well I am sure that there have always been men that used short cycles but the first one that I know of that actually spoke up on the matter was NELSON MONTANA, formerly of T-MAG.

NELSON MONTANA advocated, and still does advocate, cycles of 3 weeks in length. Modest doses are used of 1000mg per week TOTAL or less. Injectables and orals are used. Usually the injectable is in a long acting ester and not injected once per week but several times per week in smaller doses as he belives this is better for anabolism. Nelsons favorite steroid is PRIMO but he does like sust, d-bol, winny and anavar. He will not use or recommend vet steroids like EQ or tren. He does not recommend nandrolone.

Nelson believes three weeks will offers the best trade off between gains and sides. He thinks two weeks "on" is not quite enough time "on"
His favorite combo's are sust/d-bol or primo/anavar.

Here is an example of Nelsons three weeker.

WEEK ONE
DAY ONE sust 250mg, day 3 primo 100mg, day 5 primo 100mg, day 7 primo 100mg. 25 of d-bol in divided doses per day.

WEEK TWO
Test cyp or enanthate 100mg, day 10 primo 100mg and day 12 primo 100mg, day 14 primo 100mg. 25 of winny per day

WEEK THREE
day 16 primo 100, day 18 primo 100, day 20 primo 100 and day 22 primo 100 and also anavar 25 per day

Notice how the cycle uses weaker orals as the weeks go on and the non aromatizable and weker primo . This is to limit inhibition to some degree AND also to limit water gain for good post cycle lean tissue realization

WEEK FOUR ...OPTIONAL
25 of proviron for 5 days and only in the am. This is to help with sex drive, prevent estrogen back lash and act as a mild form of a taper. 25 mg only done in the am is not very inhibitory. I like its ability to ward off estrogen rebound post cycle.

Nelson does not believe that Clomid is necessary after his cycles and may actually cause harm in some men.

The above is a complicated cycle that is not cheap but Nelson thinks it is the ultimate short cycle. Similar but cheaper short cycle s can be based on the MONTANA METHOD.

IN COMES BILL ROBERTS!!!

Now Bill Roberts has been preaching short cycles for some time know, but not as long as Nelson. He says that he was taught his method but a Greek physicain that trains athletes in Europe. It is strange that he never even mentions Nelson and his method and this tells me that he may have stolen the idea from Nelson in the first place.

Anyway Roberts recommends higher doses of strickly short acting injectables and powerful orals. Front loading injectables is recommended.
Roberts is a big believer in Clomid post cycle. He also believes in using HCG if cycles are long or less than 4 weeks are taken between repeated two week cycles ,so as to prevent testicular shrinkage and the resulting poor HPTA recovery.

Roberts believes that after two weeks the pituitary becomes inhibited and not just the testes and hypothalamus and thus he recommends 14 days "on" as the limit IF you are striving for very rapid HPTA recovery.

I have used the "Roberts" cycles with good success as have many others including a few of my close friends but I plan on trying Nelsons method soon.

ROBERTS EXAMPLES

Day one, tren front loaded at 150mg and then tren 75 mg per day through day 12.
Dbol 50 mg per day in divided doses through day 14.
Clomid therapy starting day 15 and for 4 weeks or three weeks if Clomid was used as an anti estrogen during the "on" weeks. He will also use estrogen inhibitors if aromatization is expected to be high.

Second example for the larger man...
Test prop 300mg on day one and then 100-150mg per day for 11 days. Tren 150mg per day on day one and then 50-75 per day for 12 days, winstrol 50 mg per day for 14 days.

Other combo's include Tren/winny., test/d-bol winny., Tren/winny /d-bol....etc etc..

Notice that no long acting injectable is used. This is done to allow for a very rapid post cycle elimination of androgens so as to prevent additional lengthening of the cycle. This is Key point in the Roberts two weeker because he believes that any time "on" past two weeks will not allow for the most rapid HPTA recovery. He goes so far as to say that recovery after three week "on" is not especially quicker than recover after 8 weeks "on"

Roberts sites many examples of 7-10 plus pounds kept from his two weekers.

The man that is above his natural max weight (ie: 5'9-10 " and a leanish 190) cannot expect to gains 10 pounds in two weeks but 5 pounds in not uncommon.

NOTE>>> Both Roberts and Montana recommend at least 4 weeks off between these cycles. Roberts does say that two weeks off can be okay, but if repeated two weekers are done then HCG should be used during the cycle at 500iu's per day to prevent testicular shrinkage over the months.

So try short cycles if you are really concerned about your health and want to minimize the risks of steroid use, yet still wish to use steroids , and if you want to keep a higher percentage of your gains from a cycle.

Good luck and I hope this clears a few things up

shivastool

Awards
Some hardcore vets also advocate "SHIC's", which I think stands for "Short Term High Intensity Cycle". These are very high doses for short periods of time...

Examples:

SHIC #1

wks 1-4 50mg Bold Base pr day
wks 1-4 100mg Prop pr day
wks 1-4 50mg Tren Ace pr day

SHIC #2
wk 1 - 6 - 200mg test prop ed
wk 1 - 6 - 100mg nan phenyl ed
wk 1 - 6 - 100mg winny ed

wk 1 - 6 - ramp T3 up and down.

SHIC #2
Weeks 1-5 Nan Phenyl-prop 75-100mg's everyday
Weeks 1-5 Sustanon 250mg's everyday
Weeks 1-5 Anadrol 50mg's everyday

All of these last 4-6 weeks tops, along with boatloads of food and some form of HIT training, and can just exhaust you if done right...but the results...oy!

There are more intense ones I've seen too, but this gives an idea.

Note to newbie's...DO NOT RUN THESE.

theseus

theseus

Awards
Id like to see some articles though that discusses the point where hpta becomes inhibited @ the pituitary. I know it would depend on the amount and type of drugs being used, but it would be so much easier to be able to plan the appropriate time based on this information. I am thinking about staying on longer then 13 days...I might make it three weeks.

Again im not looking for massive gains. 2-3lbs a cycle would be pretty impressive in my eyes...

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
my suggestion was for orals and trans. I should have made that clear.