Took a major fall, now Dr. wants to cut me open

scrufff

Awards
Me: 43 male, 5.11, 175 lbs. Working out with weight 2-3x since mid-20s. Athletic.

Healthy. Have never been sick in my life besides a cold every couple of years; no broken bones, no illnesses, have never spent a night in a hospital.

THAT SAID.......

I injured my rotator cuff 7 weeks in a fall. Dr. said contusion and gave me Ibuprofen. 5 weeks later i can't lift my left arm more than half way up my side.

MRI shows i have a torn rotator cuff.

Dr: wants to operate.

Me: did some research and sees that Deca can help with this type of injury. Dr. is not cool with this treatment. I'm cool with going down to Mexico and buying this **** and self-medicate this injury.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone tried Deca to repair rotator cuff injury? Who, what, where and when?

2. I've not been to the gym since the injury on Drs orders (and honestly i can't even pick up a cup a coffee with my left hand so i ain't going to gym any time soon.) Want happens if you take Deca and don't workout?

If it matters, I could probably get Dr. to recommend physical therapy, while taking Deca on the sly.

Any/all comments will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Nandrolone (Deca) lubricates the joints. It stores a lot of water (as synovial fluid) in the joints, which eases the impact of the heavy weights handled by bodybuilders and weight lifters."

This does not suggest by any means that it will 'repair' damage associated with a torn rotator cuff. It may ease pain if you continue to train around the injury. It may also ease pain after a repair procedure and post procedure rehabilitation.

I believe that HGH and other like compounds may be better suited to repair, heal or regrow damaged tissue. Or maybe a combination of both Deca and one of these compounds.

I doubt that the procedure would be too invasive and may be the best bet. You could then follow up with whatever 'protocol' you desired during rehabilitation.

JMHO

NevrEnuf

Awards
  • Established
search for igf and gh for the healing properties you wish, but i would waite for post surgery to speed up the healing process so you can be over and done with it fo life.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Me: 43 male, 5.11, 175 lbs. Working out with weight 2-3x since mid-20s. Athletic.

Healthy. Have never been sick in my life besides a cold every couple of years; no broken bones, no illnesses, have never spent a night in a hospital.

THAT SAID.......

I injured my rotator cuff 7 weeks in a fall. Dr. said contusion and gave me Ibuprofen. 5 weeks later i can't lift my left arm more than half way up my side.

MRI shows i have a torn rotator cuff.

Dr: wants to operate.

Me: did some research and sees that Deca can help with this type of injury. Dr. is not cool with this treatment. I'm cool with going down to Mexico and buying this **** and self-medicate this injury.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone tried Deca to repair rotator cuff injury? Who, what, where and when?

2. I've not been to the gym since the injury on Drs orders (and honestly i can't even pick up a cup a coffee with my left hand so i ain't going to gym any time soon.) Want happens if you take Deca and don't workout?

If it matters, I could probably get Dr. to recommend physical therapy, while taking Deca on the sly.

Any/all comments will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
HOLD YOUR HORSES BRO! When the rotator cuff is torn, depending on the degree of tear, the tendon may need to be reattached. If you prolong this it may be almost impossible to reattach since the tendon will contract and will be more difficult to reattach. Laparasopic repair has come a long way. If indicated, I personally highly recommend it fi done with areputable orthopaedic surgeon. You know you will need PT, surgery is obnly part of the healing process. You will experience pain. Steroids are absolutely NOT the answer in this case.

After the repair, while healing the surgery just make sure you eat healthy. Some have specualted that surgery may assist in the healing process.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would definitely consider igf-1 over deca. as mentioned before, deca is there to lubricate and ease joint pain. its not there to heal any problems. igf-1 on the other hand shows to do just that. however, surgery still may be necessary. hopefully the Dr. gave you a reason why he is against using deca. ugh, i cringe everytime i hear the word Dr. when it involves any type of hormonal treatment. the majority simply dont know what the heck they are talking about. if i listened to my dr. everytime i asked him a question about my bodybuilding (which i do simply for the laugh sometimes) i would be about 140 lbs. it seems ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is HORRIBLE for your kidneys...protein, creatine..bla bla bla

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you had a bad rotator cuff that bothered you in the gym then yes, nandralone decoanate would be a good choice to help ease this pain. However, you have a torn rotator cuff wich is a different story. doctors deal with this type of injury all the time and know what they are doing in terms of how to repair it. you should probably just go along with the surgery and get it fixed up as fast as possible.

there is one thing we can do for you though. here is a link to a thread where an individual here has recorded his healing process after major knee surgery. He used igf-1 to aid in the healing process and his results have been nothing short of remarkable. take a look

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/igf-1-gh-slin/48232-post-surgery-igf-1-results-shocking.html

if i were you i would read up on insulin like growth factor and start to use it 3-4 days before your surgery is planned at 40 micrograms every day or every other day.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's important to note that CED actually had the surgury done on his ACL - he didn't take IGF to repair the torn ACL...

Keep that in mind when you read his thread that Jomi linked.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
HOLD YOUR HORSES BRO! When the rotator cuff is torn, depending on the degree of tear, the tendon may need to be reattached. If you prolong this it may be almost impossible to reattach since the tendon will contract and will be more difficult to reattach. Laparasopic repair has come a long way. If indicated, I personally highly recommend it fi done with areputable orthopaedic surgeon. You know you will need PT, surgery is obnly part of the healing process. You will experience pain. Steroids are absolutely NOT the answer in this case.

After the repair, while healing the surgery just make sure you eat healthy. Some have specualted that surgery may assist in the healing process.
good advice, you have waited too long already. by al means get a second opinion but get that fixed. Deca is easy on the joints for a couple of reasons, one B5150 gave the other is that deca will also bind/works some what on the cortozone type receptors. (that is it works as an anti inflamatory agent). But out side of increasing the rate of growth it will do little or nothing to help you heal.

They do have some other options in terms of physical therapy but if your that bad you can't lift your arm up like that it isn't likely.

Having said that I can atest to steroids doing wonders for recovery of these type of things (I used them after my back surgery, and I am actually do EOD situps now :D) Be very careful if you go this route as it is easy to hurt your self again or pick the wrong type.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
"Nandrolone (Deca) lubricates the joints. It stores a lot of water (as synovial fluid) in the joints, which eases the impact of the heavy weights handled by bodybuilders and weight lifters."
I've actually seen indications that nandrolone will help with the tendons.

Nandrolone decanoate and load increase remodeling and strength in human supraspinatus bioartificial tendons.

Triantafillopoulos IK, Banes AJ, Bowman KF Jr, Maloney M, Garrett WE Jr, Karas SG.

Shoulder and Elbow Service, Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina, CB #7055, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA.

BACKGROUND: To date, no studies document the effect of anabolic steroids on rotator cuff tendons. STUDY DESIGN: Controlled laboratory study. HYPOTHESIS: Anabolic steroids enhance remodeling and improve the biomechanical properties of bioartificially engineered human supraspinatus tendons. METHODS: Bioartificial tendons were treated with either nandrolone decanoate (nonload, steroid, n = 18), loading (load, nonsteroid, n = 18), or both (load, steroid, n = 18). A control group received no treatment (nonload, nonsteroid [NLNS], n = 18). Bioartificial tendons' remodeling was assessed by daily scanning, cytoskeletal organization by staining, matrix metalloproteinase-3 levels by ELISA assay, and biomechanical properties by load-to-failure testing. RESULTS: The load, steroid group showed the greatest remodeling and the best organized actin cytoskeleton. Matrix metallo-proteinase-3 levels in the load, steroid group were greater than those of the nonload, nonsteroid group (P <.05). Ultimate stress and ultimate strain in the load, steroid group were greater than those of the nonload, nonsteroid and nonload, steroid groups (P <.05). The strain energy density in the load, steroid group was greater when compared to other groups (P <.05). CONCLUSIONS: Nandrolone decanoate and load acted synergistically to increase matrix remodeling and biomechanical properties of bioartificial tendons. CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Data suggest anabolic steroids may enhance production of bioartificial tendons and rotator cuff tendon healing in vitro. More research is necessary before such clinical use is recommended.

PMID: 15150040 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In all honesty, I'm not familiar with bioartifician tendons, but the implications seems to be that if it'll work for a bioartifician tendon in vitro, it should work with your natural tendons, too. Not to mention the rotator cuff healing in vitro...now, that is what we needed to hear for this thread (well... In vivo might have been better to hear...but, wtf. somethign is better than nothign) :D

Also, search "CEDeoudes59" and look at his recent threads. You'll see he had great success with IGF with healing an injury. It may be something else to look into.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
It's important to note that CED actually had the surgury done on his ACL - he didn't take IGF to repair the torn ACL...

Keep that in mind when you read his thread that Jomi linked.

yep Scruff -- look at my thread in the IGF/GH section. It was Patellar Tendon though with major soft tissue damage.

First off, IGF is what you want. Aflutop is something that I'd do if I hadn't progressed so quickly. Both of those you don't really need to bother your doctor for.

Second, Deca might help but you need a frontload to really get it active. NPP is probably a better bet, but honestly IGF is the way to go.

Check out my thead and leave me questions on there if you have any. SelfHRT Test + IGF + GH Boosters + Cissus + Omega Flex, thats basically my stack. You don't need the Test however. I'm about 2.5months ahead of schedule at 6weeks post-op.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Right, try IGF before surgery. And If you get the surgery - IGF after.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My vote is to get the rotator cuff fixed - it's f*cking torn.

Not a time to f*ck around with supplements.
Use them to accelerate the healing process - like CED did.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i agree, repair it, heal it quick, strengthen it, forget about it.