Cycling and budgets, keeping it real.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I have a buddy that is an idiot. He is always adding supplements to his diet to try to compensate for his lousy diet and routine. And nothing I tell him makes a difference so I have stopped trying. However the other day he asked me how I could afford all this stuff and still have money left over. I told him all it took was not being a dumb ass. He countered that the majority of people bought more then he did and that included the people that I thought were smart. He was right (for once :D). A lot of people apparently buy all this crap or they couldn’t keep selling it. So this is in short all about saving money, time, and effort while cycling (or off for that matter). As always this post is for taking up bandwidth only, remember the adage about free advice.

There is a strong belief in the bodybuilding community that more is better. That is higher dosage, more expensive, and newer drugs/items are better then what is cheap and tried and true. That is pure bull****. Cell tech, GNC products, Lion nutrition, and the like are all overpriced and over hyped items. In the case of Lion the products are sometimes dangerous. I can say the same of a lot of steroids. There are dozens of far cheaper products that are in many cases of BETTER quality then the above name brands. The only difference is that they cost about ½ to ¼ of what the above brands do. Jay Cutler can make all the claims he wants to about Muscle tech, the reason he is huge is that his ass is a pincushion.

Steroids and auxiliary drugs. Sense this is going to be posted on AM I am not going to discus the any prices here including the auxiliary drugs just some general observations. First if you really want to save money here make your own. You can easily make a 16 week cycle worth for less then 200 dollars. Even if you buy pre made you shouldn’t be spending your retirement, go for the high bang for the buck items. Testosterone any ester or transdermal, nandrolone decanoate, boldenolone Undecylenate, danabol (if you must have an oral), and the like are all high on gains vs. cost. Like I said in another post: “Bread and butter cycles rock. Exotic steroids, methods, or stacks are not necessary and do not produce better results. There is no reason to run steroids that are known to be very unhealthy. (Mostly orals). The harsh drug I would ever take is trenbolone. If you can’t pronounce it you probably don’t need it.” On the subject of auxiliary drugs your really only have to have one, Nolvadex. It will work for PCT, gyno problems, and help improver your lipid panel results. Did I mention that it is the cheapest? That it is the easiest to find?

Supplements while being “ON”. Lets be real here, if you took everything that people said was good for you it would make you sick not to mention broke. So we need to be a little more selective here. First figure out what you want/need to address with the supplements. Worried about blood pressure or liver values? Both? I used to have a list of things that I thought were important but sense AI has come out with cycle support my list has been shorten by 90%. The link for the information and the product is here anabolicinnovations (Sorry can't post the #$## link with out the website putting some dumb ### %%% in its place) This takes care of the almost all the major items and some others as well for about 33 bucks a month, or a dollar a day. If I really wanted to I might be able to do it cheaper but it is defiantly not worth the dollar or two a month I would save not to mention that I doubt that I could make it taste good. (Cycle support does not taste good but it is drinkable in a protein shake with milk, given what is in it that is quite the accomplishment.). There is only a couple of items that you may want to add to this and they are simple and except one cheap. One is low dose aspirin (people will debate the aspirin, IMO it doesn’t hurt) once or twice a day. Another is some additional Milk thistle on top of the cycle support (they don’t put enough in if you’re using an oral, JMO). The last item is ALA. There are two routes here, first the cheap route and get plain jane ALA (there is a long debate on ALA vs. R-ALA) For this there is no cheaper then Doctors Trust ALA capsules, 120 of them at 600mg for $15.59. There is however growing evidence of R-ALA being much better then ALA and it cost quit a bit more.(R-ALA cost between $1.44 and $2.07 a gram for most places and above ALA works out to 22 cents a gram.) It is also unstable so the better versions are usually the sodium or potassium salts of it. I would stick with the trusted people here and not go for the cheaper product; I am going to suggest Glucophase XR (potassium salt of R-ALA) or the plain salted R-ALA. The Glucophase XR is around 30 bucks a bottle ( a months worth) There are some cheaper ones but if you want to save money and still use the better product look at using the powder itself, 100 doses (25 grams for 19.95). It may be or not be worth it to you given that it’s only a couple of bucks a month savings. Note that I didn’t include the Glucophase XR in the price comparison as it’s a salt and takes more per serving then the unsalted R-ALA.

Dietary supplements. Ok this is where I think I am going to get in trouble here. First off lets be realistic about a few things, your diet, not the supplements you use in it, are what is going to make the difference. That is why we refer to them as supplements; they are in ADDITION to, not replacing your basic foods. Please reread that last sentence. This bull**** about pre/post workout/bedtime/wakeup shakes/bars has been blown way out or proportion IMO. This is the truth of the matter: a high quality diet with the calories coming in the ratios 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% from healthy fats will produce better results then all the shakes and mixes you can buy. Also the amount of protein is less important then having high quality protein throughout the day. (Your body doesn’t store it; if it needs it and you didn’t eat it then it takes it from your tissues.) As this is impractical for us working folks (it takes more time then most people have) we often use these things to help make up for our deficiencies. (Protein shake at work instead of full meal is often the only options; the boss looks at you funny for trying to take two lunch breaks). But they do not replace the basic diet. Bran flakes and radical raspberry protein shake make for a good mid morning snack; they don’t replace the steak and eggs for breakfast or in the case of my buddy cold pizza. Like wise the meal replacement shakes should be avoided IMO, if you need a meal replacement shake consider making your own. There are all kinds of recipes for oat and whey protein/cottage cheese shakes. They are much better for you then the maltodextrin/dextrose based shakes. Did I mention that you will save money? Gram per gram whey protein is not that cheap of protein a sources. Inexpensive whey is around $4.50 a pound with most being around 70 to 80% protein by weight making it around 6 dollars a pound of protein. Whey isolate is something like 80 to 85% protein at 7 to 9 dollars a pound. That’s around $9.70 a pound. Compare that to chicken breast at around $6.40 pound of protein. (Chicken breast at 2 buck a pound and is around 31% protein by weight)

Dietary supplements that work. Multivitamins are good. Potassium and magnesium supplements are good if you’re prone to cramps or pumps. B-complex would not hurt. Protein shakes are a good thing. Use between meals or when time does not permit a real meal. I recommend whatever tastes better. As far as what kind protein shakes I would go with the cheapest fair quality protein available. I don’t recommend whey isolate as it far more expensive and no one has convinced me that it is really that much better for you ( outside of using with insulin), at least not for the cost. As far as long lasting protein goes eat real food, or at least combine the protein shake with real food. That will slow the absorption process some but real food is the better option. Creatine is another one that works and is inexpensive. It can be had for 15 dollars a kilogram for the monohydrate version or 30 dollars for the ethyl ester hydrochloride version. (Note that it CEE has a lower dosage recommended dosage then the monohydrate, 2 grams vs. 5 grams. So the per dose cost is 6 cents for the CEE and 7.5 cents for the monohydrate) To which is better I don’t know, for myself I am going to wait and see how the CEE turn out before I jump on the bandwagon. These are really the only dietary supplements that I can see using. Everything else should be covered by eating a good diet.

Eating a good diet. This does not have to break your budget at all. Just a few simple things will reduce the cost by almost half. For instance I don’t pay any more then 2 buck a pound for chicken breast, it almost always comes on sale at some point. The same with lean ground beef, 90/10 and 93/7. The 90/10 I can get regular in bulk for 2.18 a pound, divide it up and freeze it. The 93/7 I can usually find in the little factory rolls for 4 for 10 dollars. Not bad and they freeze well. A lot of people are in to organic foods and that is great but I would be more interested in unmodified foods. The more someone mucked with it the less likely its good for you. There are some exceptions, whey protein, egg whites, low carb milk, and so on. These should not be expensive items, check your local super store or bulk store. Some things don’t do well in bulk and you really can’t do much about them (flaxseed meal) but most items you can. Most people buy their whey in bulk, this is several time cheaper then going to most sport or health stores. Egg whites can be bought by the bucket and so on.

Please note that I am not flaming people that use pre/post-workout drinks or other specialty items rather I am say that they are largely unnecessary, and if your on a budget they should be the first thing to go. If you want to carb up before a workout try orange juice. (Note that anabolic inventions has a pre workout drink that is different then this, it has creatine and other things in it. I am thinking that this would be fun to try but it’s not necessary.) The same with sports drinks. Most of them are sugar water and not close to being a real food.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
:goodpost:

*You must spread some Reputation before giving it to Skye again.*

For the most part I agree with almost everything you said. People get so caught up with buying tons of supplements, because they're looking for the easy way out. They figure they will give them the edge, and they wont have to eat as good or train as hard. Alot of people I know personally who have bought a ton of supplements have ended up quiting weightlifting because they weren't getting the results they wanted. They get all mad, and blame the supplements for not working. Then I ask them about their diet and exercise routine. 9/10 times they still eat out atleast 1 time a day and drink soda and eat whatever they want. How can you expect to see the results you want when you dont put forth the effort.

I'm one of the lucky ones who am able to make my own food all day long most days of the week. It's hard to argue with the results you get when you eat 5 or 6 whole food meals compared to those who are forced to eat 3 or 4 shakes/mrp's a day. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy because I eat every 2-3 hours, the same thing everyday basically. But my results have been incredible and I would never go back to the "normal" way of eating that most people follow.

The only supplements I take are Protein, CEE, and a Multi-Vitamin. Those are the basics that most people should take I think. People get so frustrated about getting quick results that they end up either quitting, or taking steroids without doing any proper research or knowing about any of the dangers/sides that go with them. Then they complain about getting gyno or how they're so messed up. I feel some sympathy for those people, but at the same time I don't.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is so true I mean one of my best cycles ever was also the cheapest I got one bottle of loffer dbol tabs 100 25mg and one 50cc bottle of QV test e 250mg/ml
4 weeks of dbol 50mg a day
16 weeks of test e at 750mg
cost under $150

and if somebody doesn't put on muscle on the above cycle It don't matter what they are taking or how much they spend they just aren't going to grow

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skye again.

Sigh*

Great read Skye. I hope many read it. And use it.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Very nice I should print this out and give it to some people I know!!

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
I agree with all of it EXCEPT I think you really downplayed pre/post workout shakes. You imply that whey is alright if mixed with whole foods as a easy and quick meal but its best use is pre/post workout. Personally, I take 95% of my protein (besides pre/post WO) from whole sources. I do however believe in the window of opportunity that exists in the time right after you exercise. Its common sense to think that the body is going to suck up whatever nutrients it can after strenuous activity to compensate for the burning of calories and the recovery of muscle tissue.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My take is this:
I buy a ton of sh*t.
Most of it is in bulk (for whatever reason) - kilo of tyrosine, ALCAR, CEE, HMB, et al.

But, the smaller supps (Anagen, Powerfull, et al) I buy a bottle to try here and there (not counting the multiude of crap I've been given to test) just to see what it's like.
I like playing around with supps. I like experimenting (I am an engineer).
I like reporting back to the guys on the boards what I saw in a supp.

I've got the cash though - I'm not married....
(Haplochrom said that I needed to tell my boss to cut my salary so I wouldn't buy so much random sh*t.)
And there is stuff I've found that will become a bit of a staple (Powerfull and Rebound Reloaded esp.) outside of cycle/PCT - because I can afford it and I look at those supps as "value" (as you mentioned above - it's about bang for the buck with me).
But - there are quite a few I've tried that I'll never really buy again (didn't deliever relative to what they cost).

Morale - some of us out there just like playing around with the new stuff.
(Although, the only time I've gotten pissed off that a supp "didn't work" was when Cissus didn't help my right knee out....)

But - I do strongly agree with the whole value concept. If it's $60 for a month - it damn well better deliever a sh*t load of stuff (as compared to, say, Powerfull at $25).

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Test only cycles, effective as hell and dirt cheap. Also no need to use the exotic stuff like primo, masteron etc. Stick to the cheap basics if your on a budget. Capping your own gear and home brewing will also save u a boatload.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I agree with all of it EXCEPT I think you really downplayed pre/post workout shakes. You imply that whey is alright if mixed with whole foods as a easy and quick meal but its best use is pre/post workout. Personally, I take 95% of my protein (besides pre/post WO) from whole sources. I do however believe in the window of opportunity that exists in the time right after you exercise. Its common sense to think that the body is going to suck up whatever nutrients it can after strenuous activity to compensate for the burning of calories and the recovery of muscle tissue.
I was expecting more people to post this to tell you the truth but not people like you, the post is more directed to the type of people that take 50 pills a day (I know someone that does this) and 10 shakes/drinks a day. Or people on a budget. But what I said was that ALL of it had been blown way out or proportion and it has. I am not referring to just post workout drinks. Post workout drinks do seam to work for some people but most of the people I have known that have had success with it are also using insulin. There are all kinds of theory on this but here is what I know, carbs are the only thing that cell run out of immediately, protein is a slower process that occurs over the day with most of your muscle/tissue growth occurring why you are sleeping. I’m not saying that it doesn’t work or that it isn’t worthwhile but that it is overrated. I would put it below a lot of other things that I would worry about first (this is just my opinion and I really don’t have any hard proof of this, just based off what I have tried and seen in others so take it for what its worth) And if you’re on a budget any expensive drinks should be the first to go. I like natural and cheap. Apple juice is good in my book, Again that’s just me though. I just have never seen anyone ever really excell because of a deitary supplement. (unless there diet was bad to start with) Other have had reported good results using post work out shakes though.

jmh80 I hear you bro, hell I poor out half my experiments because I have no need of them. So I definitely understand you. So don’t take these questions as anything other then sincere. First have you found that using all these supplements improved your performance overall? That is has adding all of them produced better results then running a couple of basic ones? Secondly what class of supplements would you say was the most beneficial? The post work out, bedtime and so on. Also if you were giving advise to someone on a budget what would you say was the most bang for the buck?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
for me cycling is by far cheaper than running OTC supps, lol...no need to keep it real :D good post skye

Last edited:
Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I've had some of my best gains on Multi/Creatine/Whey cycles. I of course love to try new products and some become staples for me like Cissus, but in the end like you said Diet is key.
:goodpost:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I agree Skye. I am just one of those freaks who likes to experiment. I have a few friends that take nothing and haven't even heard of half this crap. They just eat, train and sleep. Hell, their diets are not even what most here would consider optimal and they are making great gains.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Very Very informative. I understand running cheaper cycles opposed to the expensive, but the thing that always costs me is pct. Somehow I never get around the cost of that. Anywho, Great post. Reps comin your way.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Everytime you buy steroids and ancillaries from overseas distibutors, you are putting American dollars into foriegn pockets!

This 4th of July do something American, buy an overpriced legal supplement from one of the board sponcers. Maybe it will work; maybe it won't,..but its good for the economy and you'll feel more American..USA...USA...USA!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
LMFAO Gear vs OTC? No contest, lol. I do agree that alot of guys go over board on the supplements though, just look around the board, lol. It seems like all the supplement whores love USP Labs, must be good stuff, but i don't see why you need like 20 bottles of PowerFull at a time. I do believe in supplementing with multi's, protein powder and efa's but the rest is extra, well to me atleast, i haven't even used creatine in like half a year, i miss it though, lol. But ya about the protein powders they shouldn't make up anymore than half of your total daily intake of protein, and make sure to include a good blend with micellar casein not just whey shakes.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the only thing I'd like to buy in bulk right now is TRN. I don't take that many pills a day and I don't take but 1 or so mulitvitamins a day when off cycle. maybe about 2 milk thistles plus a multi. but that's only 3 pills a day.
Not that bad. And on cycle it's about... 12 total each day.
I know this one friend of mine that got carried away with the bull ****. He started going to GNC to supplement his on cycle/off cycle/gear cycle/blitz cycle/mass cycle with secretagogue 1. WTF@! Lol. what a joke. that and some gakic/creakic/leukic and a bit of viraloid throw in some no-xplode then some cell-tech, nitro-tech, isopure whey, with a bit of ON whey then grab up some redline drinks lets get some ginseng energy pills too. hell grab some fahrenheit and hot rox. i bet it works doubly as good. he had that attitude.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is only a couple of items that you may want to add to this and they are simple and except one cheap. One is low dose aspirin (people will debate the aspirin, IMO it doesn’t hurt) once or twice a day. Another is some additional Milk thistle on top of the cycle support (they don’t put enough in if you’re using an oral, JMO). The last item is ALA.
Aspirin...for cardivascular benefits? LMD and I discussed this very thing before he released this last version. NAC and MT were a tandum support. Studies were reviewed on both and it seemed that higher doses were used on people who already had damaged liver from tylenol or alcohol. For a healthy liver it semed like overkill. I believe also that the taste issue was a consideration. ALA tastes pretty bad as well and is moisture and light sensitive, so clumping and bad taste were a major issue of concern with a general consumer.

LMD can speak for his product himself better than me. This is just a brief summary of our discussion on ingredients and doses before he released it.

Good overall post.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Aspirin...for cardivascular benefits? LMD and I discussed this very thing before he released this last version. NAC and MT were a tandum support. Studies were reviewed on both and it seemed that higher doses were used on people who already had damaged liver from tylenol or alcohol. For a healthy liver it semed like overkill. I believe also that the taste issue was a consideration. ALA tastes pretty bad as well and is moisture and light sensitive, so clumping and bad taste were a major issue of concern with a general consumer.

LMD can speak for his product himself better than me. This is just a brief summary of our discussion on ingredients and doses before he released it.

Good overall post.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-articles/49066-aspirin-remarkable-research-uncovers-lifesaving-benefits.html#post576332

A friend of mine has also told me that using aspirin in conjunction with hawthorn and celery might increase the effectiveness of them but there really isn't any info on it that he know of. People on steroids do have an increased risk of a lot of things including blockages; a small dose of aspirin just makes sense IMO.

I can believe that on the taste though, that why I didn't take crowler up on his offer to sell the milk thistle powder to me. But as for a "healthily liver" I would agree with you except for all these damn oral cycles that everyone loves to run. And I have not seen and really definite info on what the effective dose is per body weight. I guess in this area I would overkill. You are total right though that for a normal cycle it is probably overkill but I am thinking that for a lot of people now days its not. With as many pills as cycle support cuts out we can put up with a few pills :D

I brought up the same issues about ALA in one of the first cycle support threads, but I have been thinking about trying to add the sodium or potassium salted versions. But I am worried about the taste as well. AI did an outstanding job with cycle support and I don't want to mess up the taste of my batch. I will try a small batch first I think and see what it tastes like.

BTW B5150 is there any way to make it so we can link to the board sponsors with out all the other crap showing up in the URL blocks? I understand that ads are necessary but not being able to give props to a board sponsor is very irritating.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hey skye...how bout a thread outlining your dislike of tren? :D I'd like to hear it b/c I've got about 10g of it sitting here waiting to meet those beautiful type ii's in my butt-cheeks :D

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Damn you, you bastard! I love Tren, share the wealth help a brother out :twisted: , lol./

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Damn you, you bastard! I love Tren, share the wealth help a brother out :twisted: , lol./

:nono: :banned:

No asking for sources!

Just playin bro.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Hey skye...how bout a thread outlining your dislike of tren? :D I'd like to hear it b/c I've got about 10g of it sitting here waiting to meet those beautiful type ii's in my butt-cheeks :D
Sorry, I love tren:good:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You want a dirt cheap but effective cycle? Test Suspension and Proviron :twisted:.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The harsh drug I would ever take is trenbolone.
Ooops... I misread this... I thought you said "the harsh drug I would 'never' take is trenbolone.

I was wondering what the reasononing was behind that statement, lol, now I know i just can't read!

Good deal...time to break out the baking utensils! :D

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
You want a dirt cheap but effective cycle? Test Suspension and Proviron :twisted:.
Chaps
How effective is proviron? Is it worth adding into a stack if the price is right? Also is 50 mgs enough to get a good response without blowing up with androgenic issues?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Chaps
How effective is proviron? Is it worth adding into a stack if the price is right? Also is 50 mgs enough to get a good response without blowing up with androgenic issues?
I am not Chaps but 50mg is an effective dose for most. It is very effective at reducing estrogen and freeing up test through SHBG inhibition. I have found it to be very mild and experienced no noticeable sides at 50mg.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Yes as 50mg is enough and you can save a boatload by capping it yourself, alot of the stuff i've seen is overpriced. I really think it's looked over quite a bit which is sad because your make your testosterone MUCH more effective by unbinding it, so that means testosterones effects are just amplified, it will make u horny as hell, lol. I have heard of guys using 100mg a day but you need to be using 1000mg plus of Testosterone and apparently at that amount it REALLY hardens you up. Look at it this way alot of guys on here like ACtivate by Designer Supplements, well picture that but much more potent, you can even run the stuff during pct! It's been shown to not be suppressive.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I just make chocolate proviron, good stuff. great as an anti e but never saw much in impoving the effects of test. on the other hand it did make the dbol work much better and I have heard other say the same (goes good with methylated steroid) Not sure why, maybe the liver get rid of the freed test too fast where the methyl groups protect thr hormone?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Note to self. proviron and d-bol make a great cake recipe.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
LOL CHocolate proviron that's classic! I've heard of chocolate D-bols as well.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree Skye. I am just one of those freaks who likes to experiment. I have a few friends that take nothing and haven't even heard of half this crap. They just eat, train and sleep. Hell, their diets are not even what most here would consider optimal and they are making great gains.
Cuz they train like animals!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Skye - I'll have to think about a measured response to your question of "what supps do I think are best".

Otherwise - I'll just ramble on-ward....

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Probably not because it requires baking or microwaving. both of which would be detrimental to the hormone.

As I thought, but what about the brownie mix that was mentioned? Is that a mix 'n refrigerate type of thing?

Edit- GR to kwyckemynd00, GR understands that baking low heat or with any heat is detrimental to the hormone. GR will comply.
Chocolate molds loud 'n clear.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Possibility of using AI's cookie mix for such?
it would be hard to get an even dosage in that, dbol would take the heat for the amout ot time (but other things wouldn't or I don't know) but keeping a acruate does would be imposible. chocolate works because you can ensure a complete and even dispersion, something like cookies would be very hard at best. browines too. and you really don't want water if posible around some of the orals (degrades). but chocolate is easy, the molds and all can be had for less then ten bucks