Anabolic Steroids - Immune System Response

solarize

solarize

191cm, 98kg (6'3, 215lb)
Awards
  • Established
First up, I was always under the impression a Test cycle would help my immune system, and blood work has normally shown this for myself (red blood cell count goes through the roof) - and I feel great on the stuff, never got sick. This has been the case with many friends who have done test cycles.. Coming off is another matter, alas I digress.

However, looking at this article from SCU in AU, they claim that AAS is bad for the immune system, specifically, the lowering of Natural Killer Cells (NK). Anyone care to comment?
Do Test users find an increased immune ability whilst on cycle?

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/news-article.aspx?year=2004&id=177

I have found articles however that say test INCREAES NK cells

Kleiner SM. Performance-enhancing aids in sport - health consequences and nutritional alternatives. J Amer Coll Nutr 1991 Apr;10(2):163-76. And,
The effects of anabolic steroids and strength training on the human immune response. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1989 Aug;21

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I find a positive correlation between AAS use and weakened immune system. I always seem to get sick more frequently and stay sicker when cycling or right when coming off. I always wonder about it.

solarize

solarize

191cm, 98kg (6'3, 215lb)
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I find a positive correlation between AAS use and weakened immune system. I always seem to get sick more frequently and stay sicker when cycling or right when coming off. I always wonder about it.
With all AAS? Even cutting on winny etc?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Definitely with oral cycles in winter..I get sick about 35% of the time afterwards. Does seem to go away rapidly though so I have to wonder if the immune system bounces back quickly.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I concur, thats why now i am all about vitamin C, coq10, R-ala, and Collidial silver, so I can keep my gains, and since being on precontest, I have not gotten sick since my pink eye spat 2 months ago. Hi-yo Silver !!!

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
First up, I was always under the impression a Test cycle would help my immune system, and blood work has normally shown this for myself (red blood cell count goes through the roof) - and I feel great on the stuff, never got sick. This has been the case with many friends who have done test cycles.. Coming off is another matter, alas I digress.

However, looking at this article from SCU in AU, they claim that AAS is bad for the immune system, specifically, the lowering of Natural Killer Cells (NK). Anyone care to comment?
Do Test users find an increased immune ability whilst on cycle?

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/news-article.aspx?year=2004&id=177

I have found articles however that say test INCREAES NK cells

Kleiner SM. Performance-enhancing aids in sport - health consequences and nutritional alternatives. J Amer Coll Nutr 1991 Apr;10(2):163-76. And,
The effects of anabolic steroids and strength training on the human immune response. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1989 Aug;21

I never seem to get sick while on cycle (or any other time for that matter, I've been blessed with a very strong immune system - and I eat a TON). Also, RBC's have nothing to do with immunity. They increase with AAS use, as does your hemoglobin and hematocrit, which leads to increased pumps, and increased cardio capacity (although the water rentention often offsets this effect)..

AAS do stimulate your bone marrow, and you may notice an increased WBC count with cycling. For example, you might go to the doctor for blood work and have a WBC count compatible with what your body would mount while fighting off an infection, but you'll feel fine. That's because various steroids non-specifically stimulate hematopoesis. It is much more complicated than that, but in a nut shell, you really shouldnt notice a decrease in immunity with AAS use. Like many other effects people notice with steroids, it may be purely circumstantial, or psychosomatic.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I thought I read one time that decreasing immune system depends on whether its a wet or dry anabolic. I could be wrong.

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
i get sick in the third week of pct every time. sometimes it screws me and i lose all my gains, other times i fight it off fast and bounce back. im going to start taking the immune system supps from now on. sheesh, pct is starting to get more expensive than the cycle itself.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I also think I've read it has a lot to do with estrogen.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
I also think I've read it has a lot to do with estrogen.
Yes I've read this too, but I think it has more to do with drastically dipping test levels post cycle. I know I feel like death coming off test. It's such a great compound for overall well-being that coming off of it throws me for a loop every now and again.