How do I explain Anabolics to friends?

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, so people at work believe I do steroids, because of my build. Of course I have done a few cycles of superdrol, e-max lmg and phera-plex and 1-test. How do I explain this is laymen's terms to the people (that don't workout and don't understand supplements ) that think I'm nuts for taking this stuff?

:yawn:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
don't tell em sh#t. not your problem, it's theirs. bore them with diet tips and they'll leave you alone. noone wants to hear diet tips, they just want to take a pill.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HAHAHA, now that I think about, I tried explaining melting point to this chick at work, and she has the most bewildered look on her face. :hammer:

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I already told one girl at work today that I have "used performance enhancers".

I guess I want them to understand, but they think steroids are bad and bla bla bla. Then I tried explaining PCT.....lost them at that point.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
they'll never understand it unless they sit down and read for countless hours as most of us have. to them, everything is steroids, including creatine, protein, zma, etc. i've had these 'discussions' before and i believe i came out dumber. blahblahblah, cause tumors, roid rage, shrink your penis, etc. the list never ends. CNN is their informant.

I

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Well when you see them stuffing their faces with McDonalds and crap tell them that they are doing more harm to their bodies' that way. Or just do what Beezle said and tell them to "pound sand."

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you need to ask how to explain it, then it is likely you don't know how. If you don't know don't try faking it. In that case tell them you eat real well and take lots of vitamins.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I'd shine it...people don't get it. Tell 'em you eat a lot of tuna or something...

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Ha, ya I wouldn't explain a thing. If you tell them how much you eat and break down the macros they will lose interest before you are done.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's totally not worth it.

Give up. You can't win.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
B, I do know how to explain it, but I get all scientific with it, I was hoping for a more graceful approach to making them undertand without the "duh" look on their face. But I think Beelz is right, it's not worth the time and effort explaining what was learned from years of reading and researching and seeing users experience. It's like explaining chemistry to a chimp.

A

Alpha-male

Awards
Lol tell them you're on a super hardcore strict diet and if they keep insisting on asking what you take, then say " ok ok, I take these special GNC vitamins called Mega Men" or some **** along those lines...no point trying to explain all the intricacies if they're not even weightlifters. And if you did already tell them you take steroids then just say "oh yeah i was just kidding that day, i really take __________." (insert lame supplement here).

D

doom3q

Banned
Awards
don't tell em sh#t. not your problem, it's theirs. bore them with diet tips and they'll leave you alone. noone wants to hear diet tips, they just want to take a pill.
BEST POST EVER!

wish i learned that sooner.

S

swollengoat999

Awards
i wouldn't publicize the use of anything, man -- stick to diet, rest and obscenely complex workout routines ... you're not going to change their minds -- only create a negative impression of you ...

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ill just say "Muscletech baby" cause I know some the guys at work buy that ****. Na, I can't do that...couldn't live with myself.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i wouldn't publicize the use of anything, man -- stick to diet, rest and obscenely complex workout routines ... you're not going to change their minds -- only create a negative impression of you ...

Goat, the negative impressive is exactly what I was trying to avoid, too late now. The whole reason this came to light is someone looked through my bag for some trident gum, and I forget I left a bottle of phera-plex in there. This was a couple weeks ago, and she told some of my co-workers and I just got asked about it tonight (it's all good, I wont get fired or anything...I dont think anyone cares that much)

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually, since were on the topic, I wont even mention the fact that I was checking my favorite forum at the office (anabolicminds) and people are like "OMG what are you looking at!!)

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I tell them its all about green veggies and rest. Two things I am sure they won't pursue earnestly.

People use to ask me, now they just ask me how. :whip:

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tell them its all about green veggies and rest. Two things I am sure they won't pursue earnestly.

People use to ask me, now they just ask me how. :whip:
Touche`......

Seriously though, I can't ****in stand it when really obese people at work sit their eating donuts and ****, it drives me nuts!!!!! I'm their boss though, so I have to keep my mouth shut (can't offend anyone)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Tell them you track your diet down to the calorie, and that that plus good genetics have given you good gains. Dont bother trying to explain anabolics to the uninitiated, its like talking to a wall, or trying turn a republican into a democrat. Its pointless.

BV

S

swollengoat999

Awards
DOH!!!! yeah, bro -- that's the problem, most will never take the time to understand it and will just propagate the false media hype --> directed at you ... if i was in the same situation and wanted to play it off, i'd make up some bullsh*t excuse about phera being like NO2 or new type of creatine ... anything but the S word ... right now, i'm getting ready to head into a bulk but i have to manage the growth responsibly because i don't want that negative attention, and the questions, and the morons asking me for a source at work ... you know the drill ... just going to tell them i blend up broccoli and shoot it directly into the muscle tissue to expand the fascia 'organically'.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Ok, so the 2-ene compound is..........right.........Nevermind, umm yeah, I just workout hard at the gym...any questions?

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Don't explain anything to anyone. Keep what you use to yourself.

Some people are taller than other, how does one explain that? Genetics ;)

B

*Bulldog*

Awards

LOL.....thats more or less what I was going to say. Don't tell them a thing. Say you don't even work out....it's just your genetics.

"What are you talking about? Everybody in my family looks like this.....even my mom" That's a good line to have fun with. See what kind of expression they have on their face after that one :toofunny:

M

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
def not worth the time in my opinion, theres no way you can really understand it except the way all of us have, shyt, isnt that how we all did it? The second anyone hears anything remotely involved with something synthetic or the word "testosterone" **** hits the fan. I just leave tubs of weight gain shake all over = ]

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beezle hit it right on the head. People are idiots, you could sit there and explain it to them till the cows come home and the'y still talk ****.

Tell them their genetics suck, you use herbal stuff for energy like Ginko, and protein shakes. And eat 6 meals a day, etc etc...start to breakdown an extensive nutrition and workout regiment...and they'll leave you alone.

A

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

Bump to that. It's better that no one knows. Sh*t goes down, you have no one to blame but yourself. Start explaining stuff to people, then you never you have to work your way to the rat.

If you don't wanna go that route, tell'em to look in a bbing mag and check out the cell-tech add. Tell'em you use it year around...:rolleyes:

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the people you are trying to explain it to have already made up their minds. nothing you say, i say or anyone but CNN says is gonna change there mind. just say by performance enhancers you meant a big t-bone.

B

Beatmaster

Awards
those are the classic answers of peoples how doesn't have a clue about bodybuilding or nutrition.

or maybe ask them to come over here... we could take care of them:twisted:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Most of the time I do what you guys are saying, just give them a bunch of nutritional info till they cant take it anymore. But it's so hard to keep my mouth shut when I know that their impression is so off base, and I have this massive data to the contrary on the tip of my tongue just aching to come out, even though I know that even if I shock and amaze them with science geek wisdom, that wont give me enough credibility in their eyes to actually believe my conclusions. Sometimes I feel like tellin them "Look pal, I know more about how various performance enhancing drugs work in the body than your damn GP, so if your going to lecture me, better get seriously educated on the matter, you think I havent heard the BS on Geraldo, or whatever clueless reporter or former user that didnt know what he was doing had to say about the evils of AAS? Obviously I've looked alot deeper into to it then you have, so when your ready to learn, you let me know."
(I've never gone off like that, but it frustrates me sometimes, and occasionally Im tempted to.) But there are a couple friends, well specifically my best friend to whom I've allready let the cat way out of the bag, and even though he trains (sometimes) and takes some supps, he's against AAS. I've tried to educate him, because I know he's smart enough to learn but only if he's willing to learn. Now he prefers that I just drop the subject because its "a sore subject" for him. And he DOES believe the myths (those were his words) And when I tell him "well the scienctific research consistantly fails to support those hypothesis', it tells us the facts in black in white." He'll be like "so does experience". And Im thinking "what experience?" Oh so so in so knew a guy who did such and such to himself from AAS. Ok well wich compound did he use? how much, for how long? What he do for PCT? "Duh, I dont know, but he f-d himself up." How? in what way? "lets change the subject I dont want to argue.

Thats a testimony to the idea that we should AVOID telling people who might not be ready for the truth as much as possible. Because people have allready made up their mind. Sh-t I've allready made up my mind. But it was through an open minded persuit of knowledge that I changed my mind and made it up again based on that new knowledge.

My Own Mother knows I juice. Not because I told her but because she found my 23g 1 1/2inchers and caught me off gaurd, so I told her.
(I've never been a good lyer, but esspecially not to my Mom.)
Luckily for me she knows that the propaganda is not totally honest, and she knows the FDA isnt always honest either, so I can talk to her, but she still has some of the residual negativity in the back of her head, and is always hinting me to end my cycles earlier than planned and stuff like that. But most people I meet are NOT ready for what we know.
Sorry to hijack you guys, but this a topic that hits home pretty hard for me. I constantly battle the urge to "educate" people, even though I know its a bad idea. They wont be thinking about "wow you really know your sh-t, so I guess its all good." Instead theyll be like "You havent tried steroids have you? (Gasp!)"

T

turkish

Awards
  • Established
Excellent posting Unicrown, exactly what's on my mind.

Me, I get those attitudes (from my "supposedly" best friends) only for using supplements, God knows what would happen if I told them about juice.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excellent posting Unicrown, exactly what's on my mind.

Me, I get those attitudes (from my "supposedly" best friends) only for using supplements, God knows what would happen if I told them about juice.
You hit it right on the nose Unicron.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could ask them how frequently they use Rx drugs or NSAIDs, then tell them that thousands of deaths are 100% attributed to the use of these drugs. Most assume that if the FDA approves it then it does not have any potentiel side effects.

H

hrtguy

Board Sponsor
Awards
Tell them that your secret is to masturbate 6-10 times a day.

They won't bother you again.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tell them that your secret is to masturbate 6-10 times a day.

They won't bother you again.
Your not far off actually. :run:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hijack you guys, but this a topic that hits home pretty hard for me. I constantly battle the urge to "educate" people, even though I know its a bad idea. They wont be thinking about "wow you really know your sh-t, so I guess its all good." Instead theyll be like "You havent tried steroids have you? (Gasp!)"
I hear you, although Ive just pretty much decided that if people want to educate themselves they will. Im only here to save myself, not the world.

I did get into a big HRT discussion with a couple of older dudes at work (40-50). I was telling them that after I hit 40 Ill be getting my hormone levels checked and Ill jump on HRT when its necessary.

They of course freaked out, cajoling me with all the rhetoric they've heard on TV.

I interrupted and said "wait a sec"

I got on AM.com, went to Ageless' pic thread, pointed at the screen and said:

"That dude is 61 years old"

Their eyes got wide, they shut up and left me alone:) Next thing I know they're on their PC's looking up info on HRT.

BV

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found the BEST response was to simply tell your "friends" the truth (or your version of it)

Them: Man! your geeting HUGE!!,.. What are you taking!"

You: "Thanks!, ..nothing YOU couldnt go out and buy yourself".

This eliminates that your taking the sterotypicial "steroids",.. also, if there not onto BBing, they wont have a followup question like "where did you get it".

You cant really use "Performence Enhancers" either,.. cause on the news those words are always followed by the "S" word.

At one time, my "Extreame Repartitioning Agent" was a digestive enzyme that help to breakdown protein.

If all else fails just say it helps with recovery for your gym workouts.

Seroiusly though,... try to pick another topic to talk about with the females :stick:
:wave:

S

stuffperson

Awards
First, if you are using any "performance enhancers", it is no one's business at your workplace.

Second, the best answer i've heard to this question: A friend I used to work with took ginseng religiously, asked me if I ever used it or any other herbs to help with sexual performance, so I advised him of a few other herbs he could try. He seemed convinced that ginseng had been consistently improving his sex life, so he continued using it for many months. At a get-together at a restaurant one night, a female coworker asked him "I always see a bottle of ginseng on your desk. Why do you take it?" His answer, "Because it helps me mind my ****ing business".

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
I would ask them to come to the gym with me on a guess pass.

Lets have fun, it's leg day!!!

It is leg day. Lets warm up with squats. You have to go deeper than that! Lets add some real weight! Nice warm up, lets do some hack squats next. legs press, SL deads, regular deads. etc etc.

They will either:
A) give up and go home
2. Puke like a little girl who swallowed yellow dog pissed snow
or C. you won't see them for a while because they won't be able to walk for like 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like a fun way to have them rethink their ideas about you and training and supplements.

I

Ianhockey91

Awards
I would ask them to come to the gym with me on a guess pass.

Lets have fun, it's leg day!!!

It is leg day. Lets warm up with squats. You have to go deeper than that! Lets add some real weight! Nice warm up, lets do some hack squats next. legs press, SL deads, regular deads. etc etc.

They will either:
A) give up and go home
2. Puke like a little girl who swallowed yellow dog pissed snow
or C. you won't see them for a while because they won't be able to walk for like 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like a fun way to have them rethink their ideas about you and training and supplements.
Thats what I did yesterday in fact. I have put on 12 lbs in the last two weeks and I got a question about it yesterday. My answer was its just water from creatine mono, we got into a conversation, evidently the guy doesnt work legs, I told him that was his problem and he should go with me to my gym after work. He came in today and asked wtf i did to him. Being that this is my first cycle people havent ever said anything to me up until yesterday.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Great thread! I just saw it now.

There is no way in hell I'd breathe a word of this to anyone at work...not good in my field :run:

I have talked a bit about aas, more specifically as HRT, with a few friends. I simply said "I bet we'll all be on it when we're middle aged..." I've actually thought about trying to get my dad to look into it too.

I've talked a bit about legal alternatives, but only with people at the gym. I've never admitted anything (I've barely taken anything), but if they have any sense they should suspect something when I launch into a tirade about countering the potentially harsh sides of methyls, etc...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I've talked a bit about legal alternatives, but only with people at the gym. I've never admitted anything (I've barely taken anything), but if they have any sense they should suspect something when I launch into a tirade about countering the potentially harsh sides of methyls, etc...
Same here, most of my knowledge of anabolics is from research rather than first hand experience. That still puts you head and shoulders above most people who are using them though.:blink:

2fast2live

Awards
Its the shoes man, its gotta be the shoes.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Tell them you track your diet down to the calorie, and that that plus good genetics have given you good gains. Dont bother trying to explain anabolics to the uninitiated, its like talking to a wall, or trying turn a republican into a democrat. Its pointless.

BV

Exactly. After people at work realized I can recap my meals/macros, etc. for almost everyday, they seemed to get the look like, "wow...that's awesome...but no way I'm doing that."

If that doesn't work....show em a muscle tech ad and say your taking cell tech. Every layman seems to believe that story. :toofunny:

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Oh this is an easy one. CEE and Citrulline Malate plus a really strict diet and heavy ass weights. Do I look like Ronnie Coleman? Who's he? Show them Ronnie's picture. Now that bull is on something crazy, right? They just lost their train of thought looking at Ronnie. Hey guys good water cooler chat, going to go hit the weights now.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Holy ****.

I cannot imagine providing that kind of info to ANYONE (wife exception) let alone CO WORKERS.

Think about it.